Customer Discussions > Watches forum

Citizen eco-drive charging

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-65 of 65 posts in this discussion
Posted on Mar 1, 2012 2:41:13 PM PST
SeaHuntFan says:
I have a Citizen 300 m diver, eco drive, from 2007. I keep it in a watch display box. I rarely wear it, and generally have used it only for diving. It is running strong. Every so often I put it on a window sill for a few days. The manual says it can go 6 months on a full charge.
Also, it is an extremely accurate timepiece, less than two minutes per year. I also have a Casio G Shock solar from the same year and that is still running strong. I have kept both these watches fully charged and that seems to be the best way to use these watches. My concern now is that they are getting older, 5 years, they are probably going to need service to replace the o rings. I have over a hundred dives on the Casio, probably about 25 on the Citizen. The solar technology is a great way to power a watch, I am sure that we are going to see a lot more solar watches in the future.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2012 8:25:08 AM PST
cloudminder says:
David, Your post captures how I think also. Like you, I also have examples of all of the mentioned Japanese brands at affordable price points. And yes, "boring" is the word to describe most of them. So I have a wealth of "other" brands. Some call them "fashion" brands, but I buy them because of their varied styles. I don't really think about re-sale valuations. I buy what I like. It's essentially simple as that.

In addition to the styling issues that the Japanese brands seem to have, the two things I care about the most in a watch: sapphire crystals and half way decent bracelets are hard to find unless you jump up to a price point near $300 or above. However, you can get those features in other brands (fashion) if you look around. For example, I have two Swiss Legends that paid somewhere around $100 for each. They both have sapphire crystals with decent bracelets or straps.

I'm not sure how many people in the watch consumer public feel the same way.

C

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2012 8:29:22 AM PST
cloudminder says:
David W: I agree with everything you said here.

Posted on Mar 6, 2012 9:19:32 AM PST
X says:
SeaHuntFan: I agree with you. For almost all owners of watches rated above 100m WR the general rule that says you should only open a watch when something goes wrong applies. But those who do effectively rely on their watch for diving the o-rings certainly need to send the watch to an adequately equipped shop for an o-ring change-out. You can't wait for that one to go wrong before you attend to it. Which begs the question: How often? Hmmmm...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2012 3:43:01 PM PDT
Don Voigt says:
I was looking for some help concerning my Eco-Drive and I saw your post. I have had it under a lamp continuously for three days now and the second hand is still jumping two seconds at a time.

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 4:24:53 PM PDT
rodger says:
Don, lamps ( or any artifical light) don't really cut the mustard as far as charging goes. Bright sunlight I find is the quickest way to charge my Eco.
Cheers
Rodger

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2012 11:06:58 PM PDT
David Wolfe says:
Don, I believe Rodger's right...I own a couple of eco-drives myself, but they have never been completely dead....that said, when it does happen, you'll probably need to put them in bright sunlight for a few hours to recharge them properly....
..it may also need to be reset, but you'll need to refer to your manual to instruct you on exactly how to do that (not sure what model you have, see link below for PDF manuals)....and generally, for normal day to day charging, typical indoor lighting would be fine, but it may need the "kickstart" of bright sunlight if it's been sitting too long in the dark.....so unless you've had this watch a very long time, my guess is that it should be fine...good luck!...

http://www.citizenwatches.com.au/instruction-manuals

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2012 12:43:32 PM PDT
Don Voigt says:
It is one of the "Stiletto" models. Very thin, I've had it for about a year. I hope bright sunshine will do the trick but since I live in the Chicago area I might have to wait a while!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2012 2:29:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 25, 2012 2:30:11 PM PDT
David Wolfe says:
...hmm...I see....well, even normal daylight should do it...and though Chicago area is expected to be overcast the next few days, this Sunday is looking to be a nice sunny day!....so, hopefully that will do the trick!....by the way, those are very nice, I really like the Stiletto models...nice dress watches with sapphire crystals, unlike a surprising number of the eco-drives that have mineral...anyway, hope that does it for you....cheers!

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 2:59:40 PM PDT
X says:
Time to put this on the right thread:

http://www.citizen.com.hk/en/about-us/technology/eco-drive/charging

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2012 3:40:51 PM PDT
David Wolfe says:
...this is great X...very interesting..and explains a lot regarding full charge times varying so much, as well as length of time a full charge lasts... from as little as 40 hours to 3,175 hours (with power save).......good stuff......I haven't verified, but could we presume that the shorter lengths of time on a full charge are for older models?..

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2012 5:24:45 PM PDT
Don Voigt says:
Thanks, I love how thin my Stiletto is. I've always had a problem because I have thin wrists so even normal sized watches look like a microwave on my wrist! A previous post here mentioned resetting as a solution for the "two-second shift" I was experiencing. It seems to have worked.

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 6:57:11 AM PDT
X says:
David: "Shorter lengths of time on a full charge are for older models" Really! I resent allusions to my physical dilapidation!

I was hoping someone would calculate all those durations in terms of days, weeks or months. It's all a bit academic: my Citizen Eco-Drive and its cousin Seiko Solar are never stored in the shade, so they always work, be it for 40 hours or 40,000. A nice collection of light-powered watches in a walnut veneer display cabinet: bliss! Enough money to add a few Valjoux-powered lovelies would bring me satisfaction for the rest of my life.

Posted on Dec 28, 2013 10:53:19 AM PST
On the original topic - I just got a Promaster Eco-Drive and am concerned because the charge indicator went from low to full charge rather quickly. If it were a rechargeable battery instead of a capacitor, this would indicate a bad battery. Should I be worried?

When I opened the package, the watch worked, but in a few minutes out of the light the digital display went blank and the charge indicator showed 1 of 4. After 5 minutes in direct sun, it was back to 3 of 4, and shortly after that 4 of 4.

The manual says that level 4 means 130 - 180 days of charge, and it should take 30 hours of direct sunlight to fully charge. Is something wrong?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2013 11:20:40 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2013 11:21:59 AM PST
David Wolfe says:
Hi WB,
Welcome, and I'm sorry that you're having problems with your new watch..many folks here have eco-drives and are generally very happy with them...as you suspect, I concur that something is definitely wrong..either with the charging meter, the capacitor or charging system in general, or both...not sure of which model Promaster you have, but the U700 caliber model unit matches your manual specs of 30 hours of direct sun to fully charge...had the display not gone blank, you could have assumed it was just close to fully charged upon receipt....here is a guide from Citizen linked below with charging times and expections per model, but I suggest you go ahead and contact the seller first and/or then Citizen about an exchange, if you haven't already done so...there is an obvious malfunction of some kind with your new watch which they should replace...good luck and let us know how it's resolved...

http://www.citizenwatch.com/en-us/support/recharging-guide/
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Watches forum (613 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Watches forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  65
Initial post:  Feb 15, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 28, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions