Customer Discussions > Weight Loss forum

Bitter Orange Extract as a fat burner and appetite suppressant??

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 25, 2012 8:44:57 AM PST
I'm just learning about bitter orange extract and that supposedly it ia a great fat burner and appetite suppressant. It's pretty cheap; 10 Grams Synephrine HCL 99% (Bitter Orange Extract) (Citrus Aurantium Extract) Bulk Powder . But I still like to hear some people's experiences with it before I took the plunge. From what I read, it says there are no bad side effects. Is this true???

Posted on Jan 26, 2012 4:13:04 AM PST
Hi Kaela- I've taken it in the past, really like it as an alternative to fat burning pills which have always given me negative side effects. I've taken bitter orange with Octopamine HCL and had great results. I've also heard of combining Yohimbine with bitter orange although I've never tried that. But yes it's a good fat burner and does help to curve your appetite, in my experience.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2012 9:21:05 AM PST
Sarah says:
I love bitter orange extract! yohimbine not so much.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2012 10:34:27 PM PST
spookiewon says:
Just be careful! Synephrine is a close relative of, and acts in the body like, pseudoephedrine (the main component in methamphetamine, which is why you have to ask at the pharmacy to get Sudafed) and epinephrine (adrenaline). All these are good for energy and appetite control and have been used for weight loss effectively, but they can be he11 on the heart. Just because somebody uses the name of a plant they extract it from and calls it natural doesn't make it safe. Remember, cyanide can be from "all natural peach and apricot pits" and it's still a deadly poison. "Natural" isn't a synonym for "safe."

The side effects are pretty much the same as from epinephrine or pseudoefedrine, and vary with how sensitive you are to these drugs. They might make you more energetic, or they might cause heart palpitations, sweating, a racing pulse, etc. And NEVER take more than the recommended dosage under any circumstances.

Posted on Feb 8, 2012 4:49:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 8, 2012 4:52:07 AM PST
user30 says:
USDA organic coconut oil has been shown to speed up metabolism In my own life I have lost weight on it, seems to work on acne and other things also. and the only time I lose weight is when im sick and then once im better the weight comes right back on but since I started eating coconut oil and using it as a butter replacement it does seem to help. For it to be "safe for human consumption" you need to get the organic kind as the regular has to many chemicals in it that will make you not healthy. also as its 120 calories per table spoon it will curb appetite and in my case of always eating later it seems to have regulated my appetite to more normals levels. I'm hungry when I'm supposed to be and I don't feel the urge to snack every 10 mints.
it goes right to the liver for energy so if you notice a energy kick when you eat it that is very normal.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2012 10:38:45 AM PST
spookiewon says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 4:58:57 PM PDT
Aja says:
Because the liver metabolizes substances we ingest. Thus the posters statement "it goes right to the liver for energy so if you notice a energy kick when you eat it that is very normal." is accurate. Source "Brunner and Suddarth's Textbook of Medical-Surgical Nursing"

Posted on Jun 10, 2012 8:06:13 PM PDT
I tried it, and it works to some extent, however it's not tonic; meaning it's not something you can take everyday otherwise it may have some serious side effects. A great book that compiles all the foods that are legitimately beneficial for weight loss and can be taken everyday is Lose the Fat by Eating More. 10 Plant-Based Fat Burning Foods that Will Turn Your Life Around

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2012 1:30:35 PM PST
Karenlynn says:
I just heard about bitter orange. My Naturopathic doctor suggested I take it to open my bronchial tubs.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 12:25:24 PM PST
Omar says:
The problem with these pills, aside from the side and long term effects is that once you start taking them, you can't stop. Once you stop, you start gaining weight. A simple way to suppress your appetite is to do something physical for about 5 to 10 minutes. Lift some light weights, go for a short walk, and drink a glass of water. That should hold you over till meal time. Also keep healthy snacks around. The combination of both usually works. And try to stay away from sugar early in the day. When the sugar high wears off, you'll start craving more sugar.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2013 6:47:08 AM PDT
FRiversFan says:
This is only partially correct. It is only m-synephrine that impacts the receptors involving heart rate and blood pressure. The isomer found in bitter orange, p-synephrine, does not impact the cardiovascular system, but does have a modest impact on resting metabolism. There are many articles on PubMed based on human clinical trials which elucidate this point. According to the National Institute of Health, bitter orange is a safe supplement.

Posted on Jan 1, 2014 8:50:23 AM PST
BAM says:
Have not tried bitter orange. After reading info, I will not be trying it.

One friend who has maintained her weight for years, credits taking one cayenne pepper capsule daily to her successful weight maintenance.

I use organic coconut oil. I have not seen any weight loss benefits personally, but I do like the product.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2014 2:08:58 PM PST
L. Denote says:
coconut oil gives me a bad stomach :(

Posted on Jan 11, 2014 8:41:33 AM PST
I tried Bitter orange in the past and found that at the levels I had to use, I got awful side effects. Yes, synephrine can raise your blood pressure, i would not say its related to methamphetamine any more than anybody's favorite methylxanthine (coffee) is. Any how I did get some bad side effects from increased BP with levels greater than 250mg - I got some horrible headaches and pulsing in my ears. I actually thought I was allergic to it as a result. A friend had been using the Liporidex max and lost 8 pounds in a week so of course I wanted to try it, but was disappointed when I saw that it had bitter orange in the formula. After doing some more research and calling the company to see if they would tell me how much bitter orange was in there (they would not, but said its less than 100mg?), a gave it a go. Either way, I had great results. So for me bitter orange worked in combination with other stuff, but on its own - it was a no-go. Ultimately adrenaline analogs like bitter orange, dmaa/e are great for the metabolism, but of course come at a cost. You cant have your cake and eat it too...unless you combine your pures.

my $.02
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Weight Loss forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  Jan 25, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 11, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions