Customer Discussions > Weight Loss forum

I am following a healthy diet, exercising and I am gaining weight!! What am I doing wrong???!!!!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 156 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 9, 2011 9:12:18 PM PDT
Brynn V. says:
I am a 46 year old woman. I want to lose 30+ pounds in a healthy way, so I can keep it off. I have lost and gained weight over and over. I have followed every fad diet there is. I have done Atkins, I
lost a lot of weight several times on it, but I always gain it back. I have successfully lost 30 lbs on Abs Diet for Women, but I was not able to maintain it. Now I have gotten to the point where I can't even lose weight. Two weeks ago I made the decision to stop the fad diets, to eat more vegetables, to cut out caffeine, to cut out sugar and to exercise and lift weights. The first week I lost 5 lbs and was so encouraged. But now 2 weeks later I have gained weight and I am so frustrated. I cut out my coffee. I cut out coke zero. I am eating every couple hours healthy meals. I am exercising every day--cardio and weights. I don't understand why I am gaining weight instead of losing. I am looking to lose 2 pounds a week. What am I doing wrong?????

Posted on Jul 10, 2011 4:30:03 AM PDT
S. Sabina says:
go check your thyroid ASAP

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2011 10:51:12 AM PDT
If you doc gives the OK, I'd highly suggest a low-fat (not no fat) plant-based diet. Google Dr. McDougall's maximum weight loss diet, and more specifically, "Mary's mini," which uses sweet potatoes as the main healthy carb. I personally lost 25 pounds this way, and if you go on my website, www.vegcoach.com, you'll see a newspaper story of a woman who came to my cooking classes, and without ever trying, counting a calorie or ever being hungry, lost 120 pounds in 8 months. She has multiple myeloma and improved her cancer markers and is living long past dire predictions. I'm also a personal trainer and use this way of eating, even if just incorporating more plants into my clients' diets if they want to lose weight. I've seen it work a lot with women your age and older. The trick is, as Dr. McDougall says, is try to have 1/3-2/3 of your plate be green/yellow veggies, the other 1/3 your healthy, fibrous-rich carb. I'm the only healthy person in my family, btw...mom, aunt & both sisters had breast cancer + most had heart disease, diabetes, some Alzheimer's and a lot of osteoporosis. I ran my first marathon last year and continue to place in 5K races for my age group. Exercise is definitely part of the key to jumpstarting your metabolism. And because so many stories abound saying you can't eat well on a budget, I also wrote a book that just came out, Eat Vegan on $4 a Day. I was an Emmy-winning TV investigative reporter and financial consultant, and I knew from eating this way for most of the past 30 years, we can't afford not to eat this way. You save not only at the grocery store, but by avoiding all the surgeries, meeds and devices everyone else has to have. Just got my blood work back Friday, and cholesterol was 160 and everything else was stellar. The nurse demanded to know what meeds and supplements I was taking. When I insisted I didn't (except B12), she told me to bring in my book. Sorry for the length, but I almost died of a colon blockage the same year my sis got breast cancer for the 2nd time. As a reporter, trying to dodge the family history has been the investigative reporting job of my life, and I enjoy sharing my story to help others. Good luck!

Posted on Jul 10, 2011 5:06:13 PM PDT
Dana Seilhan says:
You don't give enough information about how you define a healthy diet. You also don't give enough information about why you gained weight around doing the Atkins diet. Do you mean you gained weight WHILE following it? If so, were you following it correctly (as in, you read the whole book and you followed the instructions)? If you did not gain weight WHILE following it, but rather after you got off it, what else could you have expected to happen?

Have you been to a doctor? Have you had labs run? If so, what were the lab results?

What's a typical daily menu for you? What do you eat?

Without that information there's really nothing anyone can tell you. Oh, and word to the wise, don't adopt a vegetarian or a vegan diet. I'm going to *guess* that with you having weight issues, you are probably already malnourished and you don't need more of that.

Look me up on Facebook and email me. I have to say that I am not a dietician or a medical professional, but I'm pretty much a walking encyclopedia about this stuff as well as being in touch with people who *are* very well-versed in nutritional healing or who are MDs themselves, and if I can't help you, they sure can.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2011 6:40:41 PM PDT
You are gaining weight and it is a good thing. Why? Because you are putting on muscle and muscle is heavier than fat. Continue what you are doing since the muscle over a period of time will burn off the fat that is still there because muscle uses more energy.

Posted on Jul 12, 2011 1:05:25 PM PDT
Sharon Thiel says:
Congrats on stopping the fad diets! They are unhealthy, encourage loss of water weight and you almost always gain the weight back because you can't stick to them. So that's a positive step! I agree with Daniel, that you are probably gaining muscle. Plus, I think you need to be patient. You will probably see results over time if you keep up your new routine. You didn't give much detail on what you are eating, so you might need to look at how many calories you are taking in. Good luck! SharonDown to Earth Weight Loss

Posted on Jul 12, 2011 1:06:02 PM PDT
There's a couple of reasons why you are gaining weight:

1) Make sure that you're eating enough food!!!! If you cut back on way too many calories you're body will think its starving and slow down your metabolism to a crawl.

2)Because you are 46, make sure your thyroid and other hormone producing organs in your body are normal.

3)You may be gaining weight from muscle mass. It usually takes about a month to experience real weight loss because your body needs time to adapt to the healthy changes you made.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2011 9:42:20 PM PDT
spookiewon says:
The simple answer is you are consuming more calories than you're burning. Why is more difficult to determine. But a "healthy" diet isn't necessarily a lower calorie diet. You need to monitor your calories in and out. I use a Fitbit Wireless Personal Trainer Fitbit for this, but before my Fitbit I used the website My Fitness Pal (http://www.myfitnesspal.com).

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2011 1:21:19 PM PDT
bill yancey says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Aug 22, 2011 11:03:21 AM PDT
todd lloyd says:
Congratulations! You are making progress. Yes, you are! The majority of people cannot stick with what you've done so far.

Please stay on track. Continue with the plan you've began. Success is just around the corner but you have to see it through. This time, you will be successful.

Why are you gaining weight? Because muscle weighs more than fat. As a 40 plus year old woman, your body is going through massive changes due to this season of your life. Osteoporosis and bone health is also another important consideration for you and many others.

Working out with weights, resistance exercises, cardio, walking etc. all work for you ultimate weight loss true. But more importantly for your overall health. Your weight will normalize (whatever that number is only God knows). You can influence it by continuing with your healthy lifestyle.

Once again, congratulations!

Todd D. Lloyd

Posted on Aug 22, 2011 6:41:05 PM PDT
How do the clothes fit? Have you taken measurements? Muscle weighs more than fat, so it could be an increase from all the exercise (good work!). Don't let the numbers freak you out. I gain 5lbs when I train for marathons even though I'm leaner then. Someone else already recommended this, but I will too--cut out all fats. I lost 30lbs, my husband over 40lbs, when we removed oil and other fats from our diet. We eat wholesome foods--veggies, fruits, beans, whole grains -- but no added fats and we lost weight and have kept it off. Almost 4 yrs now! keep up the good work!!! Also have some blood work done -- make sure the thyroid is okay.

Posted on Sep 13, 2011 10:38:25 AM PDT
jayjaxjaq says:
I agreed with Lindsay and Daniel, chances are if you are unlike a lot of women and actually strength train, you are gaining more weight in muscle than weight in fat lost. I'm 5'8" and in theory should weigh by "government standards" weigh 154 TOPS. I usually teeter around 162 however and have never been told by a doctor to lose weight as my body fat percentage is well under the healthy number for women. That being said, don't just assume because you are "overweight" according to some standard such as pounds and BMI. I'd recommend getting your body fat percentage calculated. Then doing it again several weeks later to see if this weight gain is due to fat or muscle. I've got the feeling however it's the later, and that's a good thing!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2011 4:29:33 AM PDT
Bon Bon says:
stop caring about wt. and focus on fitness goals!

do you have greater stamina? strength? flexibility?

IMO, I wouldn't dare try to guess why you're not loosing weight by giving you my guess based on the information you supplied.

Best bet is to see your dr. for a routine physical exam explaining your intended goals.

Not having any stats on your basal metabolic rate or knowing exactly how much exercise you get, or exactly what your diet consists of? who knows? you might be unknowingly consuming too much sugar (just a random guess)? You may be gaining muscle (random guess)?

You might want to directly consult with a dietician who can help you put together a custom diet for you.

IMO carbonated soda isn't a nutrient so, as you've done, don't drink it!

From my experience, wt. loss can be tricky (for most people it isn't). Wt. is not only influenced by input/output. The endocrine system plays a major role here.
So, unless you want to train like a maniac (whatever for? this can lead to injuries)? Don't worry about wt. The exercise that you're doing has far greater benefit than mere wt. loss.

Personally, I only exercise for the endorphin bliss. I could care less about wt. Just workout for the circulation boost that keeps your blood vessels pliable and smooth....your joints mobile...the toxins flushed....and mental clarity :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2011 9:09:20 AM PDT
Muscle weighs more than fat. Don't worry about your weight.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2011 2:24:11 PM PDT
Eve says:
Did you check how many calories are you eating? Also, if you are exercising a lot, you might be gaining muscle instead of fat?

If you eat more than you burn, you might not be able to loose fat. If your food contains toxins, artificial ingredients, you might not be able to loose your blubber.

I would empty my fridge, and focus on buying only CLEAN products free of artificial, chemical non-natural ingredients, hidden sugars, basically, anything processed. I would focus on organic produce and I would measure my calorie intake. I would exercise every day for a little bit, and drink plenty of lemon water. I would clean out the colon for couple of days.

Also, check out www.organicliaison.com and ask for a free consultation. This could work for you. It's fully organic and natural and helps you with your weight in a playful effective way.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2011 6:53:52 PM PDT
Hi Brynn!

Here are a few pointers -

First off don't look at the scale daily. You will fluctuate and if you are fixated it will work against you. Portion control and frequency are a must. Smaller portions more often. Low carb, high fiber. Start your day with an egg white omlet with veggies... No cheese no butter just straight whites and veggies. If needs be minimal salt, natural sea salt is the best and tastes great.

Be careful about cutting out all of your vices. To keep the pounds off you need to think about moderation. It is not fun living your life with a bunch of can'ts... can't have bread, can't have soda, can't have dessert, can't can't can't.

Here is the link to this great blog that has a recipe for amazing ice cream that uses bananas as the main ingredient... sounds weird I know but it is incredible and crunched the craving for a sugary fatty treat.

http://miss20sguide.blogspot.com/2011/09/welcome-20-somethings.html

CHECK IT OUT!!!

A few more tips, raw cabbage salads are great.... high fiber and low fat and carb. Add tomato, cucumber, carrots, or whatever veggies you like. Instead of dressing use low fat or fat free cottage cheese.

Working out everyday is not always the best thing for you. You need to give your body time to recuperate. Cardio one day, weights the next is a great way to stay active and still allow your body time.

Try and stay active during the day. Working out for an hour is not effective you spend the rest of the day on the couch.

Pureeing veggies like butternut squash, celery root, cauliflower, brocolli, or a combination of.... creates amazing soups that can be eaten alone or with either a rice cake or bread that is high in grain and fiber.

water will assist in the weightloss program but if every once in a while you want a coke zero.... seriously.... GO FOR IT!

Posted on Sep 16, 2011 7:05:35 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 10, 2012 6:27:10 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2011 7:37:37 PM PDT
"if you are exercising a lot, you might be gaining muscle instead of fat?"

That's the same point I was trying to make.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2011 7:53:32 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 10, 2012 6:27:15 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2011 12:45:20 AM PDT
You're right that dieting doesn't work. Eating well is a lifestyle change and limiting your choices will only make you crave what you can't have. Eat more protein veggies and fruits and DO NOT cut out carbs, your body needs them, just be smart about which carbs you choose and how often. You mentioned that you're working out everyday? Cardio and Weightlifting everyday is way too much for your body to take. You are running the risk of overtraining. Your body needs off days to recover, especially from the weight training. Those are the days that your muscles rebuild what was destroyed during your workout. Congratulations on choosing weight training, (most women think they will bulk up and get too big) weight training burns more calories and promotes fat loss more than any other exercise, including cardio (cardio burns cals while you are doing it but building and maintaining muscle burns cals all day long.) But you must rest and recover for it to work. Don't get hung up on what your scale tells you. Pay attention to how your clothes fit to truly get a feel for what is happening physically. Most importantly, stick with it and change up your routine every couple of weeks so you don't get bored.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2011 7:41:30 PM PDT
Pat Cincotta says:
There is no need to "clean out" one's colon. Any time someone suggests this, just ignore it. Drinking plenty of water is a good idea, but not specifically having to do with the colon. Our bodies take care of themselves if we eat healthy foods and get enough exercise. (People who go for deep colonics to rid themselves of toxins are just wasting their money.)

Posted on Sep 20, 2011 9:13:13 AM PDT
Marie says:
It's the carbohydrates. Read Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2011 10:11:39 AM PDT
I guess it's possible.

Posted on Sep 20, 2011 2:05:46 PM PDT
Hi, please look at this page, & check out the food photos. http://tinyurl.com/3g6fso2 You'll be surprised.

We wish you love,
The Cook and The Cardiologist You'll be surprised.

We wish you love,
The Cook and The Cardiologist

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2011 10:17:05 AM PDT
K. Armstead says:
wow!! info overload...
ka
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Weight Loss forum (318 discussions)

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Can anyone recommend a healthy fast weight loss program or book that works? 430 9 days ago
I am following a healthy diet, exercising and I am gaining weight!! What am I doing wrong???!!!! 155 10 days ago
Who wants to lose weight the proper way?? Diet and exercise? 0 20 days ago
Bitter Orange Extract as a fat burner and appetite suppressant?? 14 22 days ago
Even at my ideal weight I had a belly 2 25 days ago
PARASITES and WORMS can cause weight gain, bloating, cysts 0 25 days ago
how can i loose weight when i cant move around cause of my health, like slipd disk in my back, and my feet and legs are swollen with fluid, astma, and more, i tried dieting but it dont work 46 25 days ago
I'm having trouble losing any weight!! 160 25 days ago
Advocare - Kidney Stones? 14 Mar 5, 2015
Phentaslim 33 Mar 4, 2015
Curious about the AdvoCare craze? Read Me! 2 Feb 10, 2015
Movies that expose workout women as bullies are needed 1 Feb 9, 2015

This discussion

Discussion in:  Weight Loss forum
Participants:  103
Total posts:  156
Initial post:  Jul 9, 2011
Latest post:  10 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 21 customers

Search Customer Discussions