Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Summer Twins All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Amazon Gift Card Offer jrscwrld jrscwrld jrscwrld  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Learn more
Customer Discussions > Weight Loss forum

Advocare - Kidney Stones?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 6, 2012 9:48:54 AM PDT
J. Horn says:
I need help. I have a friend who recently (about 2 weeks ago) started the 24 day challenge from Advocare. Yesterday he had a kidney stone. Has anyone else used this program and found this to be a side effect?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 7:07:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 19, 2012 7:13:45 PM PDT

I actually had this very thing happen to me when I did the 24 day challenge. At the end of it I wound up with a kidney stone out of the blue and I can only attribute it to Advocare because I had no other dietary changes. When I went to a urologist some of the key factors in getting them include heavy protein intake and lack of fruit juice that is high in citric acid (both of which happen during the challenge). My "mentor" who I told I had gotten a kidney stone while finishing up Advocare (symptoms started around week 3) suddenly disappeared which pretty much speaks volumes in itself.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 2:01:07 PM PST
Hmmm. Same thing happening to my husband since he's been on his challenge, same story exactly. Strange...

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 11:19:12 PM PST
Glynnis Shea says:
My daughter developed a kidney stone after starting to use advocare supplements. No prior history, the only thing I could pinpoint was the addition of the supplements. Doctor said he didn't think so.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 1:50:21 AM PST
Well the Advocare diet itself is NOT conducive to what prevents kidney stones. It is high in protein and low in citric acid (by nature). I am speaking mostly from the 24 day challenge aspect the actual program later on may be different but I do know that if you have high levels of protein and low amounts of fruit juice (orange/lemon specifically) your body is not producing what it needs to break down a kidney stone. Because I was only allowed to drink water during that time (and I know I did not drink enough of it) and I wasn't getting enough that likely didn't help matters either...

Keep in mind many people may get kidney stones but the ability to break them down prior to them passing and that is the difference. That is not to say Advocare is the sole cause but within 2 weeks of starting the 24 day challenge I was in agonizing pain and it only worsened in week 3 when the stone finally started passing. It could have been a coincidence but it happened and so I will never try it again to tempt it. My mentor disappearing really makes me wonder about the validity of Advocare as a whole but who knows - I could just be unlucky :-)

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 7:41:11 PM PST
J. Horn says:
Thanks everyone, this is exactly what I was looking to see. He stopped the program the next day and has had no issues since.

Posted on Aug 30, 2013 7:44:13 PM PDT
There is no reason you can not add lemon, lime, or orange juice to your water during the challenge. You are also able to drink tea, not just water. Mostly you are supposed to stay away from sodas, etc.

Posted on Feb 8, 2014 10:23:29 AM PST
E. Hardin says:
I wish I had researched Advocare before I agreed to try the 24 day challenge. My advisor was sooooo enthusiastic and excited, and I got caught up in the moment - too trusting. Well, guess what...kidney stones developed after starting the challenge. I brought the product line to my urologist, and he just shook his head. Not good to do these types of cleanses because our bodies and designed for that very reason. So much "cleanse" hype out there. Anyway, I have a second appointment on Monday to see what the next step it. I sure hope my urologist enjoys the little jar of rocks that I will be bringing him, and I will be having them analyzed to see what is going on. Funny thing that all of a sudden my advisor, who is also a friend of over 10 years, has also "disappeared." Not even a phone call to see how I'm feeling. We shall see!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2014 3:33:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 8, 2014 3:33:56 PM PST
I am glad I am not the only one but not glad it happened to you of course! The 24 day challenge IS conducive to Kidney Stones, once you get beyond that challenge, the program may not be but truthfully after enduring that initially who wants to continue on with their products. The person who states add lemon yes you can do that but keep in mind the amount of pure (powdered) protein you are taking in is difficult for some systems to counter and a little bit of lemon may help but it will not prevent it completely. I had not had a kidney stone in 35 years, I started Advocare and within the first two weeks I started to display symptoms (and eventually passed one). I have not been on the diet in 2 years and I have not had one since. Sure everyone's body is different but it became pretty clear to me what aided in creating the stones or rather what aided in me not being able to break them down like my body likely does naturally. More people should know this prior to trying the challenge - I definitely had no idea and I won't be doing anything remotely like it again either.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2014 7:46:53 AM PST
E. Hardin says:
Thank you for your response. Now I don't feel so alone! I hope that you are feeling better, and your feedback has reinforced what I had suspected. Here's to good health!

Posted on May 5, 2014 1:36:01 PM PDT
momaof4 says:
Ok, so I have have been dealing with kidney stones for 12 years. I have had 3 lipotripsies and 2 stints. Since being on Advocare products Spark especially I have had no problems at all with kidney stones. Maybe cleaning out your systems and drinking so much water that the challenge requires it flushed the kidney stones you already had out. It takes a while to make kidney stones, they don't just happen. I just wanted people to know please get both sides of the stories. Advocare has really changed our family health wise. We have 4 kids 17 to 9 and we are healthier than we were in high school. Just saying :)

Posted on Jul 30, 2014 10:13:46 AM PDT
I have had kidney stones since I was 8 years old (for the last 26 years). I get them often and I know my body enough on how I typically pass stones. With that said, I started advocare in January and in April I had formed a 5mm stone and had to have surgery to remove it. I've always been able to pass stones on my own. In May I did my second challenge with advocare and here it is July and I have another stone the same size. After surgery in April my kidneys were stone free. So that's how quick the stone formed and grew in 3 months. I get that everyone's body is different, but I've never had one (now two) grow that fast and get that big in a matter of months. The only thing I've done different was to do the challenge...twice... and twice I've formed stones that I can't pass on my own. Take this information and do what you will with it. But as far as I'm concerned, I won't be doing advocare anymore.

Posted on Jan 6, 2015 7:38:51 AM PST
Ken says:
Thanks momaof4! I was hoping someone would raise your point. Has anyone asked a doctor how long it takes for kidney stones to develop? I have a hard time seeing a 24 day challenge as sufficient time to build stones in your kidneys. My impression has always been that they form over time. could it be the significantly increased fluids is just dislodging existing stones?

I'm in my second 24 day challenge right now. I've found that in the mornings, after the spark (plus extra 8 ounces of water), and the fiber drink (plus extra 8+ ounces of water to wash it down), that I get a bit of kidney pain. My assumption (since this is only day 3) is that my kidneys are saying, "Holy crap, this is a lot more liquid than usual, we're out of shape."

Any more definitive, professional opinions out there?

Posted on Feb 8, 2015 5:46:26 PM PST
Yoli rocks Best out there.

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 12:54:27 PM PST
heidi lemmon says:
I got sick immediately after drinking spark the first time - an allergic reaction; sneezing, wheezing , hard to breathe. I quit after 10 days but my advocare kept wanting me to try it again (she kept saying I had picked up a sinus infection). I said no and moved on to just using the supplements. I was in bed for the next 10 days . I got a bad case of diverculitis which I had not had for over 5 years and I was so fatgued I could not stay awake for more than a few hours at a time. I was on a liquid diet and antibiotics but quit all advocare. Its now 2 weeks without advocare and I have terrible pain in my flank and I think it could be a kidney stone. I have never had a kidney stone in my life. This product is peddled to family and friends because its crap and they are less likely to sue. The advocare sales people are not trained to do anything but push this junk on you. If you have a problem they go back to their propaganda and try and convince you its something else and to just "use" more product. I sure don't recommend this product to anyone under any circumstances.

Posted on May 8, 2015 10:50:36 AM PDT
C. Dowdell says:
After reading these comments, I just would like everyone to know, it takes about 3 months for a stone to form! So most of you probably had a stone prior to starting the challenge. As a person who has been taking products for 2 years, I DO have stones, I had stones for the last 6 YEARS though. I am taking my products to my new urologist. I have already shown 2 other urologist these products and they have said to continue taking them, because if i stopped, my body will still produce stones but take the calcium from my bones. I think people need to get a little more education prior to bashing Advocare on these reviews. like i said earlier, it takes approximately 3 months to form a stone, not 2 weeks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2015 7:05:20 PM PDT
M. Burgess says:
I have not used advocare but have had 3 kidney stones in my life. The first two were caused by dehydration and I was in the hospital one week from when I suffered from dehydration with a stone so they can develop pretty fast.

Posted on Jul 16, 2015 12:44:16 PM PDT
Never passed a stone and I am 39. After a 24 day challenge I passed a stone and have a kidney infection. Never had one of those either. I am going to continue the fiber supplement and vitaminsfor another month. If I pass another one I will not continue advocare. I drank only 2 glasses less a day before the challenge. So that should not be the issue. The stone was not fun. I thought it was just severe back pain until the fever was involved.

Posted on Sep 21, 2015 12:03:08 PM PDT
A. Larsen says:
Isn't it amazing what happens when you flush crap out of your system! And if your buying it on Amazon your asking for trouble. Only purchase from an actual AdvoCare distributor and befor starting any plan consult your doctor.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2015 12:06:56 PM PDT
A. Larsen says:
Yes! Thank you. I can't believe I am reading that people think doing any supplement for a few weeks resulted in any one having stones. I'd be more inclined to think an existing stone moved because more fluid was being moved through the body...not the cause of it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2015 12:10:50 PM PDT
A. Larsen says:
You know you can request all your money back right? These products actually saved my life but to each his own. I didn't start taking them for propaganda or to even make money. I'm sorry that someone made you feel that way. They are simple nutritional supplements. You should have felt amazing. Sounds like poor coaching or a bad Amazon purchase.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Weight Loss forum (321 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Weight Loss forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Aug 6, 2012
Latest post:  12 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions