Customer Discussions > Weight Loss forum

Does the HCG diet work

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-55 of 55 posts in this discussion
Posted on Aug 23, 2010 1:14:23 PM PDT
Dave Astle says:
As mentioned in the article I linked to (twice) there are a number of potential side effects associated with HCG, some of which can hardly be called minor. Quoting from the article:

- Ovarian Hyper-stimulation Syndrome (OHSS) - which is a life-threatening condition
- Arterial Thromboembolism - another potentially life-threatening condition
- Blood clots
- Risk of multiple pregnancies (twins, triplets, quadruplets, etc.)
- Abnormal enlargement of breasts in men (gynaecomastia)
- Over stimulation of the ovaries causing production of many ova (eggs) in women
- Acne
- Tiredness
- Changes in mood
- Irritation in area of use
- Excessive fluid retention in the body tissues, resulting in swelling (edema)
- Hair loss
- Prostate hypertrophy

With many hormone treatments, the potential benefits of the treatment outweigh the side effects, which is the case with the uses of HCG you mention. However, anyone choosing to try the HCG diet really should carefully weigh these potential negative effects of taking against HCG against the fact that HCG has never been proven to be any more effective than a placebo when it comes to fat loss.

Posted on Aug 23, 2010 2:39:31 PM PDT
I don't believe a word of it... I have only had one side effect and that is my hair has gotten thicker...its just naysayers that like to say bad stuff and can't support what they say!

Posted on Aug 23, 2010 3:04:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 23, 2010 3:07:54 PM PDT
Dave Astle says:
That's funny. A few minutes on Google turned up dozens of sources supporting what I quoted about the risks associated with HCG injections, including many reputable sources such as WebMD (http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-11192-hcg.aspx?drugid=11192&drugname=hcg&source=0&pagenumber=6) and PubMed, and even on sites promoting the HCG diet (i.e. people selling HCG). While looking around PubMed, I found this study (which is but one of many) which demonstrated that HCG is no more effective than a placebo: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1237915/.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2010 6:56:59 PM PDT
nikisue says:
Andrew - in answer to your questions...
1. I can't answer whether it is unhealthy to lose weight that fast, but I can say that my family doctor supports the diet using homeopathic drops. Regarding the 500 calories a day, the protocol that explains the HCG diet also explains that these 500 calories, in addition to the fat your body is releasing, is enough to give your body the nutrients it needs and to keep you just above the protein-deficiency level. That's why it's important that you eat the meals as outlined.

2. I'm sure you would lose a lot of weight without the HCG by just following the low calorie diet, but the HCG (allegedly) releases excess fat for your body to use as energy and decreases your appetite so you can follow the 500 calorie diet without starving and showing signs of malnutrition.

3. Weight loss is maintained by following a maintenance diet for 3 weeks after discontinuing the drops and low calorie diet. The restrictions are basically no carbs or sugars. After that 3 week maintenance period, you gradually introduce carbs and sugars back into your diet, and weigh yourself daily to keep tabs on your weight.

4. The guide comes with some drops, depending on where you purchase them. You can also find the guide, Pounds and Inches, free online (http://www.hcgdietinfo.com/HCG_Diet_Simeons_Manuscript.htm)

5. Can't answer this one, but if you stick to a healthy diet you would most likely lose weight without the drops. You can find calorie estimators online where you put your measurements in, say how much weight you want to lose, and it will tell you how many calories you should eat daily (most sites recommend no fewer than 1200 calories per day).
Your reply to nikisue's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2010 12:12:00 PM PDT
I think eBay is the best place to get the drops. I order from a seller in Las Vegas and I get them in 2 days. I'm in Oklahoma City. $22.99 for the 2 oz bottle.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Weight Loss forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  55
Initial post:  Aug 10, 2010
Latest post:  Aug 24, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions