Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Western forum

Westerns for Kindle

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 47 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 19, 2010 5:23:03 AM PDT
GeriD says:
Just bought my hubby a Kindle and would like to download some inexpensive western novels. Fiction or anything with an historical base would be great. Please suggest your favorites- authors or books.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2010 9:55:59 AM PDT
Fay Risner says:
Hi Geri,
I have just put a western on Kindle.

The Dark Wind Howls Over Mary by Fay Risner and sold on Amazon for Kindle. Price is $1.99

Sheriff Stringbean Hooper's job description is to relax with his feet on his desk while he watches Sully Town, Montana from the office window. That all changes when the town doctor's wife disappears. Hooper finds himself in the middle of a family feud between his boss cattle baron Mac Sullivan and Doc Strummer. Shot from ambush, Hooper is forced to hide at the wash woman's house while she removes the bullet. Women close to Mary Strummer seemed to know something about her disappearance but they aren't talking. The midwife/Indian shaman says she felt the dark wind howl over Mary which is no help. Hooper's only backups are a nervous pig farmer part time deputy, Whispers Parker and a gun toting woman rancher who is set on marrying the sheriff. Hooper finds himself fighting for his life and his bachelorhood while he solves the mysterious disappearance of Mary Strummer.
Thanks,
Author Fay Risner

Posted on May 24, 2010 10:59:04 AM PDT
Rye James says:
Many of L'Amour's westerns are on kindle if that's his fancy. Most are under $4 if memory serves me correctly. He's the king of westerns for me.

I have 3 westerns available if you're interested, and all are on sale through the end of May. Once June hits they'll go back up to regular price:

The Assassin.
Matt Beck is a man hired to eliminate problems. So when the deadliest gunman in the West wanders into an Arizona town, the residents instantly fear one of them has been marked for death. Once Beck arrives, he tangles with the law, a young gunslinger itching to make a reputation on his death, a treacherous preacher, and a gunfighter hired to kill Beck. Through it all, he must protect a secret he's carrying that would surely mark his own death if found out.

Deadlock
A murder has occurred in the town of Deadlock. But when the sheriff arrests the son of powerful rancher Ben Hickman, it creates a dynamic series of events. Hickman uses his gang of gunfighters to prevent Sheriff Dan Logan from getting his prisoner out of town or any help in. The sheriff tries to hold on to his prisoner at all costs against near impossible odds. Only a miracle can help him leading to an explosive final showdown.

Bounty Hunter
Brice Symon is a man who brings back outlaws one way...dead! If there's a price on your head you can bet that Brice Symon is not far behind. The Bounty Hunter is a fast paced story that has Symon tangling with outlaws, lawmen, and gunfighters.

Rye James
Escape

Posted on May 24, 2010 11:31:36 AM PDT
Rye James says:
Also, many of Max Brand and Zane Grey's westerns are under $1.

Rye James

In reply to an earlier post on May 26, 2010 3:54:19 PM PDT
He might like Plainesville, my recent Kindle submission.

In reply to an earlier post on May 26, 2010 9:26:53 PM PDT
R. King says:
Robert Parker - Resolution. Good read. Lots of bigtime western suspense.

Posted on May 27, 2010 6:39:35 PM PDT
Try Rye James. I've read The Assassin and recommend it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2010 6:00:25 PM PDT
GeriD says:
Thanks- got all three

Posted on May 31, 2010 6:29:02 PM PDT
Rye James says:
John-Thanks for the recommendation. I really appreciate it.

Rye James

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2010 7:31:59 PM PDT
I have a debut novel, Skookum Man, available on Kindle. See more about it on www.matooskie.com. --- Lotus Landry

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2010 6:56:49 AM PDT
Geri Denney,
I'd like to toss my "hat" into the ring and suggest my book, Her Knight With a Shining Star.
While it is light on the romance, it a historical western based around atual events that led to the establishment of Labor Day as a national holiday. (Coal miners and railroad workers' strikes of 1894.)

For more information, trivia, photos and etc. on this title, you may visit the website listed below my profile name or go directly to triple w baileysbooksonline dot net.

Thank you for your consideration.

SB

Posted on Jun 15, 2010 9:24:21 AM PDT
I don't know if my novel, God's Thunderbolt: The Vigilantes of Montana, qualifies for you as inexpensive ($9.95), but it is based on the early history of Montana. It also won the 2009 Spur award for Best First Novel from the Western Writers of America. To see reviews, please look at the product page.

Thank you for asking!
Carol

Posted on Jun 22, 2010 2:20:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 22, 2010 2:20:59 PM PDT
Rye James says:
Have a new title up on the Kindle for you Western fans. It's 3 short stories involving The Assassin. The stories take place before that book. The cover art is still being worked on as we speak so there's no image yet, hopefully within the next week. Hope you check it out.

Day of the Assassin
Matt Beck is back as The Assassin in this short story collection. Day of the Assassin includes 3 short stories featuring:

Noose for an Assassin-A crooked card game leads to Beck being thrown in jail. While in jail a lynch mob forms with the intention of stringing Beck up by his neck until dead. Will they succeed or will they string up the wrong man?

Revenge of the Assassin-Someone takes a shot at Beck as he's riding to the town of Everwood. Beck goes to town and hunts down the person responsible. Beck finds the culprit, but shows compassion and spares their life before he is forced into a deadly showdown.

Assassin's Day-Beck is summoned to a town to avenge a prostitute who was raped. Beck stops at nothing to force the guilty party into a duel.

Rye James
The Assassin.
Deadlock
Bounty Hunter

Posted on Jun 25, 2010 9:08:52 AM PDT
Aside from the great classics out there (and you can find a lot of them thanks to the Gutenberg Project), I'd like to announce my own book, which has just become available on Kindle (though Amazon hasn't got the book description and all up yet).

Have Gun, Will Play is a humorous mystery western novel.

Mick and Casey McKee aren't exactly your average gunslingers. He's young and inexperienced, and has much too sunny a disposition for a gunman. She's younger, meaner, less experienced, but a much better shot. They got married the day they met and still getting to know each other.

When they get a job protecting the daughter of a stagecoach king--and her grand collection of toys--it seems like an opportunity to go someplace new. But after the wrong kidnapping, a murder, another wrong kidnapping, a couple of jewel heists and a few knocks to the head, Mick and Casey are left holding the bag of toys. Mick, however, is not as dumb as he seems, and as for Casey...nobody steals her gun and gets away with it.

Camille
Have Gun, Will Play

Posted on Jul 4, 2010 2:52:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 4, 2010 2:53:32 AM PDT
I have a gritty Western, Desperate Hearts

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2010 2:33:57 PM PDT
Geri-I just found this site. My new novel is Civil War/Western, on Kindle. Title is NO GOOD LIKE IT IS, and you can see blurbs, reviews, front/back covers, and sample chapters at Amazon or Kindle.com, or check my website (mckendreerlongiii.com).

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2010 3:44:00 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 30, 2010 3:45:18 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 17, 2010 6:50:44 PM PDT
Lamour Fan says:
Just downloaded it...thanks Ryan for enabling text to speech..have a car ride ahead.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2010 11:39:10 PM PDT
Rye James says:
Have a good car trip!

Rye James
Deadlock

Posted on Aug 26, 2010 5:50:06 PM PDT
D. Eraldi says:
My newest novel, SETTLER'S CHASE (D.H. Eraldi, Berkley Westerns, 2010) is available on Kindle. Set in Montana Territory in the 1880's, SETTLER'S CHASE is the tale of Sett Foster and his French-Blackfeet wife Ria as they struggle to protect a lost child from dangers both wild and civilized. The story deals with loyalty and trust, and doing what is right even if that is not the easy path. It's a sequel to my 1999 novel, SETTLER'S LAW.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2010 2:57:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 1, 2010 2:58:30 PM PDT
Hello, Geri,

My award-winning novel, God's Thunderbolt: The Vigilantes of Montana, is based on early Montana history. God's Thunderbolt: The Vigilantes of Montana

Set in the Montana gold fields of 1863, it asks the question, Where ruffians rule and murder is tolerated, can desperate methods establish the law? It's the story of a New York lawyer, Dan Stark, who comes to the gold fields of Montana in 1863 to get enough gold to repay the debt his father left and joins a Vigilance Committee after a friend is murdered.

The sequel, Gold Under Ice, is out on Kindle, too. In Gold Under Ice Dan takes his gold home to New York, but the Mint reveals that he does not have enough gold to repay the debt. A financial report in an old New York Times gives him the idea of repaying the bank in greenbacks. Speculating in the Gold Room could earn a fortune large enough to repay the bank and secure his family's future. Or he could lose everything, as his father did.

Thanks for asking!
Carol

Posted on Sep 1, 2010 10:37:01 PM PDT
Waiter, There's a Clue In My Soup! a collection of five previously published and award nominated mystery short stories for 99 cents.

Three of these stories (including two of the nominees) are westerns.

Descriptions:

In the title story, "Waiter, There's a Clue in My Soup!" two police detectives sort out a poisoning case over lunch at the deli, with a little help from a foodie in the corner. (This story was nominated for a Derringer award in 2003.)

"The Hoosegow Strangler" was the first story featuring Mick and Casey, a pair of young gunslingers turned detective. In this locked room story, a witness they were guarding is murdered, and they have to solve the crime to preserve their reputation.

"Trail of the Lonesome Stickpin" finds Mick drugged by a pair of pretty femmes fatales, and he has to figure out what happened before Casey shoots him. (This story was put forward for an Edgar by its publisher.)

In the fourth story, a killer believes that all he needs is a strong "Alibi" to pull off the perfect crime, but he finds that works against him.

In the final story, "The Promise," a teenaged girl has to keep her brutal father from turning her brother into a killer. (This story was also nominated for a Derringer in 2007.)

The the first three chapters of the first Mick and Casey novel (Have Gun, Will Play) are also included in this collection.

Camille
Waiter, There's a Clue In My Soup! Five Mystery Stories

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2010 2:50:26 PM PDT
Diane Story says:
The Overlanders Bride
Desperate hearts

Posted on Sep 7, 2010 3:39:57 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 24, 2010 1:39:18 PM PST]

Posted on Sep 11, 2010 11:06:58 PM PDT
Virtual Pulp says:
There's no "western" category I can find in the Kindle store, but I have found a few I think are good. Hondo: Kit Carson-type kills a sorry bushwacker, then has to protect the widow and her son from Apaches. (But watch the movie first if you can.) The Curly Wolf is Brand new--with a slightly different take on old cattle baron vs. sodbuster range war schtick. The Virginian and Other Westerns by Owen Wister (Halcyon Classics) is a lot of good reading for a low price. The Virginian has another untypical perspective on the range war backdrop.

Hank
Hell and Gone
Virtual Pulp: Tales of High Adventure, Low Adventure, and Misadventure
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Western forum (339 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Western forum
Participants:  31
Total posts:  47
Initial post:  May 19, 2010
Latest post:  Feb 5, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions