Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM
Customer Discussions > Western forum

new Western books

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 14, 2009 10:40:45 AM PST
ideas needed says:
My dad loves Westerns and has read lots and lots of them. I'm looking for a newer copyright of one that he might not have read. Can anyone recomment a NEW one (hopefully even in a hardcover edition) that was a good read? Thanks

Posted on Nov 14, 2009 11:46:35 PM PST
Meyer3 says:
Check out Elmer Kelton's last book, OTHER PEOPLE'S HORSES. It just came out. He is of course, the best of all western writers.

Posted on Nov 15, 2009 6:29:07 PM PST
I tried to find Other People's Horses by Elmer Kelton but only found a book by that name written by another author. It is actually "Other Men's Horses"...just thought I'd let you know!

Posted on Nov 15, 2009 8:28:09 PM PST
A Reader says:
I can't say for sure that someone who is interested in a "straight" western will like it or not, but I found Justin Allen's new book, _Year of the Horse_ to be extremely enjoyable. It's a sort of fantasy/western so if fantastic elements turn you off you might not like it. But, it's also quite a nice western story, too, so if you don't mind fantasy elements, or think you might not mind them, or especially if you like them, it's a great book. It's officially marketed as "young adult", and though I think it's acceptable for younger readers it has a lot of creative use of older stories and tales that will make it very fun for older readers, too. I highly recommend it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2009 10:37:38 PM PST
I loved "Saving Tom Black" by Jere D. James. New title, new author. Incredibly good!!! I couldn't put it down!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2009 5:48:10 PM PST
ideas needed says:
It does sound good--thank you!

Posted on Dec 21, 2009 8:51:41 PM PST
HAS he read any of JONAS KIRBY"S BOOKS? I just finished "YAQUI GOLD" and IT was VERY WELL WRITTEN, he and CLINT WALKER "CHEYENNE" wrote it together.ALSO His
book "DEVILS BLOOD" is terrific.

georgetta ross

Posted on Dec 23, 2009 6:32:32 PM PST
I've read that there's an upcoming sequel to "Saving Tom Black" called "Apache." According to a blog, the author intends on doing an entire series. author is Jere D. James.

Posted on Dec 28, 2009 7:08:02 AM PST
I'll check out the Jonas Kirby books.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2010 9:16:26 AM PDT
Fay Risner says:
The Dark Wind Howls Over Mary
I am the author of this western sold on amazon. It is paperback. The story is set in Sully Town, Montana and filled with colorful characters. The main character is Sheriff Stringbean Hooper who's job description of sheriff is relaxing with his feet on his desk while he watches the town from the office window. That all changes when the town doctor's wife disappears. Hooper finds himself in the middle of a feud between cattle baron Mac Strummer and the doctor. He is shot from ambush and has to hide out at the wash woman's house on the edge of Sully Town. The best informant he has is a white woman/ Indian shaman who felt the dark wind howl over Mary Strummer. Hooper's only backup is a part time deputy pig farmer and a gun toting woman rancher set on marrying the sheriff. Hooper finds himself fighting for his life and his bachelorhood while he solves the disappearance of Mary Strummer.
Give this book a try and if you like it, watch for a Stringbean Hooper Western book two to be out soon.
Thanks,
Author Fay Risner

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2010 8:11:47 AM PDT
Mark says:
F. L. Fear has published 3 westerns, Tonto Yoder, Western Scout, Tonto Yoder, Wagon Master and Tonto Yoder, The Final Journey. They read like old time westerns. Bonnie Fearnow

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2010 12:05:10 PM PDT
L. L. Byars says:
Montana rescue was just published on Kindle it's author, Billy Hall,has been compared to Louis Lamour.Montana Rescue

Posted on Oct 22, 2010 12:03:19 PM PDT
Fated Memories When the richest most powerful man in the state of Montana learns his beautiful young daughter Jessie is pregnant with the child of a Blackfeet Indian hired onto his ranch, he is out for blood. Wolfer, a white man raised by the Blackfeet and hired by the ranchers to keep the wolves away from the heards, offers to bring Eathen's daughter back to the ranch after she runs away with her lover in hopes of giving the young man responsible for her condition, a chance to keep his life. But Eathen knows that the young man will show up sooner or later to be with Jessie and when he does, Eathen will be ready.
Amazon kindle and kindle pc and sells for $2.99

Posted on Nov 20, 2010 12:26:15 PM PST
Hi,

Just finished reading "Riders of the Purple Sage", the original manuscript version which included so much more than the publisher allowed. Rich descriptions, tension and cultural dimension that makes this a wonderful read.

Also, try Paradise Ridge, a 21st century novel about a young cowboy born of the myth of the Seventh Son. Leandro's existence causes a grave rift in his father's family and Leandro is given the opportunity to heal ancient wounds and bring new prosperity by his "accidental gifts." This story pulls from the buckaroo, Basque and Shoshone cultures to show the raw beauty that still lives as free as the wild horses that roam the Nevada ranges.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2010 2:16:01 PM PST
Trail Hand has been on Amazon's best seller list for almost a year and a half now
Back with a Vengeance has also just been released in soft cover format

Posted on Feb 27, 2011 8:06:39 PM PST
RED ROCK
Red Rock

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 9:02:47 AM PST
Hi everyone, I have spent the last two years writing a Western novel. I had a ball doing it. When I give it to people they say things like "they couldn't put it down" ect. Now the hard part. Getting it out there. I am on Amazon but realize that it is hard to be noticed. So I am giving the ebook version to any forum members that want it. Just contact my website and mention this forum. I will send you an attachment at no cost. www.C-Bar-Ranch.com

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2013 12:31:28 PM PST
Billy the Kid's Last Ride

Posted on Jan 24, 2014 2:16:14 PM PST
glyph says:
Let me recommend Justice in Season. It has received a couple nice reviews. As the author, I highly recommend it.

Posted on Feb 5, 2014 11:10:43 AM PST
Howdy,
I would like to recommend my first novel, 'They Rode From Round Rock'........the McGowan Saga's #1. A historical fictional account of stock detectives and cattle rustlers in 1877-78 Texas.

Ebook on Amazon and print on Createspace.com e book store and Amazon Books Feb 12th 2014
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Western forum (339 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Western forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  Nov 14, 2009
Latest post:  Feb 5, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions