Customer Discussions > Wii forum

Games for the one handed.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 46 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2013 9:13:04 AM PST
Juan Smith says:
I am one handed as well and have been building a collection of one handed wii games to suite my need. Some games have already been mentioned such as wii sports and fire emblem:radiant dawn (fire emblem is an awesome game!). Some other one handed games not mentioned are as follows:
House of the dead:overkill - a point and trigger game which only requires one hand. Or there is also a "dual weild" mode utilizing two hands.
Wii play - a one handed game involving many mini-game type of games.
Dragon quest:swords - a half strategy half rpg game that requires one hand to hold/use the wiimote as a sword.

Posted on Aug 28, 2011 3:04:37 PM PDT
E. Cruz says:
Super mario Galaxy (1 and 2) can´t be played with one hand. Yes, you can play like 50% of either game using the wiimote, but some stages, need 2 hands.

Also, Wii Sports Resort can be played with one hand, mostly. You can play table tennis, swords, frisbee tossing, parachuting, and about 25 of the more than 35 games with one hand. The only one that can´t be played with one hand (from the top of my head) is cycling.

Posted on Aug 13, 2011 4:29:33 PM PDT
James Miller says:
hmmm... i am not entirely sure but you could probably play toribash with one hand.maybe.

Posted on Jul 16, 2011 3:24:08 AM PDT
WolfPup says:
This is a really good thread. Not something I think about a lot since thankfully I've got both arms, but it's really, really good if there are games out there that'll work in this situation!

I've got two I can add that I've been enjoying quite a bit:
-Guilty Party-*sort* of a Clue-like board game, that's surprisingly fun, even as a single player game.

-Mystery Case Files: The Malgrave Incident. It's kind of a point and click adventure game, except you pick up most items by doing these "hidden object scenes". Like Guilty Party, it controls entirely with just the base controller with a single hand.

The Wii does seem like it probably has more games than other systems that'll work, just since there are quite a few that work with the base controller by itself (although sometimes even if a game says it only uses the base controller, you may have to use it sideways like a NES pad, in which case it still needs two hands).

This site I just found:
http://www.ablegamers.com/
claims to be the biggest for disabled gamers, and recommends Dragon Age: Origins for PC as being really accessible.

Posted on Jul 14, 2011 6:55:58 AM PDT
Lupucillo says:
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn is an excellent game with an amazing premise and hours of fun gameplay, and you only need 1 hand to play it, holding the controller TV-Remote-style. Great value.

Posted on Jul 14, 2011 1:55:45 AM PDT
for fans of ghost squad of the house of dead titles resident evil umbrella chronicles is another cool light gun style rail shooter that only requires one hand. The sequel darkside chronicles should probably be the same although i have never played it personally

Posted on Jul 11, 2011 3:23:33 PM PDT
If you google "accessible gaming" you can find lots of resources for this sort of thing. There are custom-built console controllers that will let you play typical games with only one hand. You can also do a lot with PC gaming... get a mouse with tons of buttons on it and add some foot pedals (like from a simulation kit).

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2011 2:40:21 PM PDT
Weemadarthur says:
Endless Ocean 1 & 2 allow quite vague movements and only require one hand.

Posted on Jul 11, 2011 12:55:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 11, 2011 12:56:30 PM PDT
Rommie says:
Dear All,
I know that this tread is pretty old, but the subject has just become valid for me. My wife's brother can only move left hand and leg after a car accident and he cannot control that left hand that well. Are there any Wii games where you can play them one handed and there is not that much control required in terms of exact movements?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2009 9:43:54 AM PDT
Maybe on the wiiware service. You can always read the game manuals before purchasing the game.

Crystal Chronicles My Life as Dark Hold has you hold the wiimote NES style but the way it plays pretty much someone could do it one handed if they were fast enough the question is would you be comfortable doing it that. Since I can do the vulcan salute moving my fingers around the wiimote that would be awkward for some people is just simple to me.

Fire Embelm Radiant Dawn can be played easily enough one handed with the wiimote in the tv remote position.

Opoona isn't exactly fantasy per say but it may count loosely as such. You just use the nunchuck.

Posted on Jul 28, 2009 2:50:18 AM PDT
are there any fantasy games one handed? i used to be a big fan of zelda before my disability.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2008 10:32:11 AM PDT
boom blox can be played one handed, I'm don't know about mario galaxy. also boom blox is a great game.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2008 1:49:56 PM PDT
MidWest Girl says:
Can Mario Galaxy and Boom blox be played one-handed? I looked at Galaxy on StrategyWiki and their description makes it sound like you use both controllers, but not at the same time. The game sure gets rave reviews, and I would love to try it. I think I could use it even if you use both controllers at once as long as you don't have to manipulate something on both at the same time.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2008 11:19:31 AM PDT
I thought I had mentioned Opoona. I think the price it should have come out at was 29.99. It is very deep for an rpg and the combat system has a lot to it. The world is pretty interesting to explore such as the art museum pieces. Recommened it to anyone who loves Earthbound or unusual rpg games.

The savage reviews are from people who hate games that aren't fps.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2008 9:09:28 AM PDT
H. Clinch says:
Another game not mentioned is Opoona. It is played with only the nunchuk, I keep the wiimote in my pocket.
Reviews have been savage, but for an rpg/job sim with a unique combat system, it is a lot of fun and surprisingly deep.

In reply to an earlier post on May 26, 2008 10:58:49 AM PDT
B. Wilkinson says:
some other games are,

sonic and the secret rings,(though this ones not very good)

big brain academy

and mario party 8,

or you could just look on the back of the box if your at the store, if it uses the nunchuk it will have a pic on it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 26, 2008 9:21:33 AM PDT
Two new wiiware games came out today. Family Table Tennis works with one hand like wii sports tennis. This game is actually better then the Table Tennis game that came out in Wii Play.

Some good some bad news. Dr. Mario Online RX has mode that can be used with one hand. It's the virus buster cooperative multiplayer mode where up to four people in the same room use wiimotes to point and click capsules in place. Note you need friends for this one. The single player and online multiplayer modes unfortantely you need two hands for. Bit of a crappers I know. Still this is a game one handed friends can play multiplayer with.

Family Table Tennis costs 500 points Dr. Mario Online RX costs ten dollars.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2008 12:12:12 PM PDT
Both of May 18ths Wiiware releases for NA are not one handed friendly. Several upcoming wiiware games are however so just be patient for next week we should get one or two you just need one hand for.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2008 10:01:55 AM PDT
J. Peplinski says:
Need to be careful just relying on the back of the game case - it does say whether you need the nunchuck or not, but many Wiimote-only games still require 2 hands to push buttons (Super Paper Mario, for instance). A thread like this is a very good resource, from people who have played the games to folks who aren't sure what to buy!

Boom Blox is GREAT fun and can be played with one hand only - either hand, for that matter! Endless Ocean is like that too. Different sorts of games from the usual RPG or FPS, but lots of fun regardless. Two of my personal favorites!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2008 6:03:20 AM PDT
The Dog Island is a wiimote only game (would have to see the back of the box to be sure but videos do suggest it is wiiimote only) with cute graphics. Seems like something kids and a bunch of adults who don't mind cute would enjoy.

http://thedogislandgame.us.ubi.com/ offical site.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5fgy2_gonintendo-directfeed-the-dog-islan_videogames first 15 minutes of the game. Certaintly seems to be wiimote only point and then have the dog run to the spot indicated with the cursor. Like I said look at the back of the box.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2008 10:39:20 PM PDT
Next monday I will be talking about the next batch of wiiware games. Some of the upcoming games on wiiware are going to be fantastic and well worth the points.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2008 10:38:07 PM PDT
Try defend your castle. It gets insane in later levels. Even on normal you will be retrying the levels. Thankfully after selecting retry you can add more health to the castle and the troops you have on the prior attempt are there for you to use.

One can read the manuals of the wiiware games before you buy the game which is a great thing. The Nintendo channel is also great for both the DS demo download station ability but also the trailers of upcoming games. Nice to see a lot of niche great games get advertising such as Mushroom Men.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2008 9:45:53 PM PDT
S. Willowby says:
My mom has the use of only one hand - thanks for this discussion!!

So far she really likes the Wii sports that came with the console, especially the bowling. Endless Ocean is also another favorite, as is Cooking Mama. My daughter has Dogz2, and it is also a one-handed game. To me, it feels alot like a Zelda game, only with dogs. Mom likes it.

We have all been having fun with the Wiiware Defend Your Castle game. Very silly and fun. The wii has been great for our family. My mom feels like she can participate more instead of just watching, and is kicking my butt in tennis and bowling.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2008 8:30:07 PM PDT
I too, am interested in one-handed games, not because I am disabled, but because of the intense challenge of playing multi-player games by myself. It creates an incredible mental workout to control two cursors at once.

If you can connect your Wii to the internet, there is an awesome new game in WiiWare called "pOp", in which the object is to pop bubbles. It is simple enough at the most basic levels, for a kid to enjoy, but the challenge increases immensely as the difficulty increases, to the point where actual strategy is involved. There are also power-ups, my favorite of which is the Nuke, that when detonated, destroys all same color bubbles within a large radius. Based on the Amazon reviews I have read, it is loads better than that "Balloon Pop" game. There is also an accessibility option that uses different shapes for bubbles (circle, square, diamond, hexagon) if you have trouble differentiating the four colors. There is also a multiplayer mode that I've not tried yet, and a "chill" mode where you simply pop bubbles without worrying about score and time. At 700 points and only 110 blocks, it is easy on your Wii system memory and on your wallet, although you can only buy points in increments of 2000 (points cards) or 1000 (online w/ credit card). BTW, 1000 Wii points is equal to $10.

So far, pOp is the only Wiiware title I can recommend.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2008 5:36:41 PM PDT
Well next week is another week of wiiware releases and since you can read the manual before deciding to buy the game one can see if it is just the wiimote itself or if you can use the wiimote by itself instead of the other controller options.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Wii forum
Participants:  32
Total posts:  46
Initial post:  Feb 19, 2008
Latest post:  Jan 2, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions