Customer Discussions > Wii forum

Games for the one handed.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 46 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 19, 2008 11:10:30 AM PST
The wii is one of the most handicaped in particular for those who only have full use of one hand, accessicble game consoles out there. However not all games can be used with one handed.

Finding out which games are handicap friendly is a bit hard to do. Not a lot of sites if any mention which games would be suitable for certain disabilities or how difficult a game is without the use of two hands. You may want to contact game developers review sites as well as sites dealing with handicaped issues to see if they can assit.

I will list several wii games that are suitable for the handicaped. \

Bust a move Bash. This puzzle game which can be played with up to eight people four using wiimotes and four gamecube controllers can use the wiimote as a baton. This makes it very easy for one hand to control the game.

Ghost Squad. This shooter uses the wiimote in place of a dedicated light gun. Very easy to use one handed just point and hit the buttons, make the apporiate motions for easy control.

Cooking Mama. Using the wiimote as a cooking tool such as a spoon or to make certain motions mimic a cheese grater make this game very accessible.

Wii sports with the exception of boxing all games can be used with just the wiimote.

Zack and Wiki. 90-99 of gameplay is used with the wiimote in a remote control or holding it sideways. Very few activites would require the use of someone else to assist such as when you are playing the wiimote as if it was a flute. This is a game for multiplayer with the other people using their wiimotes to point out points of interest to the main player.

Dance Dance Revolution Hottest Party. As long as you have working legs and feet this game will work since you can disable the wiimote and nunchuck motion gameplay.

Super Swing Golf and Super Swing Golf Season 2 use the wiimote as a golf club. Incredibly accesible since one hand can do everything to make the game function.

Tiger Woods 2008 also as well is a good game since it uses the wiimote to function as a golf club.

Madden 2008 has a family mode that uses the wiimote with the game doing most of the complex stuff that would require the nunchuck accessorcy.

Fire Emblem:Radiant Dawn one of the controller options allows you to use the wiimote holding it like a remote control to control the game. Very easy to use one handed.

If anyone would like to add things such as other wii games that are friendly to those who can only use functional hand as well as sites that do detail how certain games are friendly to the handicap you are very welcome to do so since I cannot buy evey game or recall every one to list them.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2008 11:41:17 AM PST
I am one of those people who have use of only one hand (due to a drunk driver) Thanks for this post your information was very helpfull.

i

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2008 7:08:39 PM PST
Your welcome. You may want to go to a used game store and ask to read the wii game manuals. Often they do give clues as to wheter you will be able to use it one handed.

Hopefully in the future replacement hands/limbs will be far better. Research is promising on articial limbs and hands that respond to your mental commands like your normal limbs do. Still not at the automatic function yet in lab tests. Meaning you have to mentally tell the hand to pick something up rather then just go reach for the item and grab it in one smooth motion.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2008 2:53:54 PM PST
C. Juarez says:
I think on the back of the games, it will show whether you need the nunchuck or not. I'm not at anywhere where I can check this though.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2008 5:21:24 PM PST
Spot says:
Sonic and Mario at the Olympics has many events that are either solely Wiimote based or could either use the nunchuck or just the Wiimote. I'm left handed and have done Hammer Throw and Trampoline with my left hand. This game, unlike Wii Sports, won't let the player choose which hand is the dominant hand. This game assumes one is right handed. So, it's a bit of a bummer for left handed people, but it's doable. I enjoy the game despite that setback.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2008 7:20:29 PM PST
DannyC says:
Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz-The main game and many of the mini-games are one handed.

Wii Play-Has a few one-handed games.

Big Brain Academy, My Word Coach and Smarty Pants are played entirely holding the Wii remote with one hand.

Also, Madden '08 family mode still requires two hands. You hold the Wii remote like the old NES controller.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2008 8:02:58 PM PST
Brandon V. says:
Endless Ocean - the entire game is played with the wii remote pointed at the screen so it is easily playable with one hand.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2008 9:35:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 23, 2008 9:37:21 PM PST
Odd I thought from the illustrations of how just the wiimote was used in Madden 2008 you just did some button inputs and point at the screen.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2008 10:48:28 AM PST
Dragon Quest Sword

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2008 3:18:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 24, 2008 3:20:13 PM PST
DannyC says:
I think you are right about Madden family play mode. I have never used the family play mode and thought you held the remote sideways.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2008 8:36:59 AM PST
Mark Warner says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2008 12:37:42 PM PST
P. Stein says:
Super Swing Golf would be an excellent choice for a one handed person. I only use one hand when playing it. I also play it sitting down. I don't notice any change in accuracy. I only have Super Swing Golf, Season 2. It is $10 less, and outside reviews criticized SSG 1. Go for SSG 2. I posted a detailed review on this game.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 29, 2008 2:04:25 PM PST
Dewgunner says:
I haven't played the whole game yet, but I'm pretty sure that Warioware can work fully one handed (though I may be incorrect). Still, most of the minigames only use the wiimote motions.

And I think you did mention Zack and Wiki already soooo...yeah.

I think those are the only games I can think of that can be played with one hand (at least in my library).

I hope that helps!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 29, 2008 8:50:12 PM PST
Warioware Smooth Moves is mostly one handed. Some of the minigames at the end do use the nunchuck. I would say 99.9 of the game is one handed.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2008 1:28:53 AM PST
BOOM BLOX is one handed.

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2008 9:52:37 AM PDT
J. Booth says:
Thanks for this. I am a left handed amputee and these are the ones I have been playin that work for me. I have part of my right forearm so I have rigged up the numchuck for Wii boxing ( with a wrist sweatband)too but you need an elbow at the least for that.

Agatha Christie and then there were none- great game
too btw
wario ware
endless ocean
pacman online
mercury meltdown- great game
baloon pop
Mario kart- hold the steering wheel in the middle to hit the number 2 button if you only have a left hand- righties no problem
links shooter- that comes with the gun
Most shooters that move auotmatically are fine
Return of House of the Dead 2 and 3- with gun
Big brain academy
my word coach
boogie
DDR
kabooki- the cranium family style game- fun but you need at least 4 people to play
wii sports
wii play
wii fit
balls of fury ping pong
decasports
zack and wiki
cooking mama
british racing cars

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2008 12:50:08 PM PDT
Im am stuck in bed for medical reasons...can any of these games be played while lying down (not sitting) in bed? tHANKS!

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2008 8:16:25 PM PDT
StarlaC says:
Carnival Games can be played one-handed as well.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2008 9:48:58 PM PDT
Wii Play--Actually, every single mini-game except for Tanks is designed for only the Wiimote. Even Tanks can be played w/o the Nunchuk.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2008 10:13:02 PM PDT
All of the recent wiiware releases except Lostwinds can be done with just the wiimote.

Although Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles:My Life as a King controls better with the other controller options. Still manageable wiimote only.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2008 12:54:41 PM PDT
Brian Deen says:
Great post. I'm disabled and only use one arm. due to a stroke. Please keep the posts coming about games that can be played with only one arm

Thanks

Brian

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2008 5:36:41 PM PDT
Well next week is another week of wiiware releases and since you can read the manual before deciding to buy the game one can see if it is just the wiimote itself or if you can use the wiimote by itself instead of the other controller options.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2008 8:30:07 PM PDT
I too, am interested in one-handed games, not because I am disabled, but because of the intense challenge of playing multi-player games by myself. It creates an incredible mental workout to control two cursors at once.

If you can connect your Wii to the internet, there is an awesome new game in WiiWare called "pOp", in which the object is to pop bubbles. It is simple enough at the most basic levels, for a kid to enjoy, but the challenge increases immensely as the difficulty increases, to the point where actual strategy is involved. There are also power-ups, my favorite of which is the Nuke, that when detonated, destroys all same color bubbles within a large radius. Based on the Amazon reviews I have read, it is loads better than that "Balloon Pop" game. There is also an accessibility option that uses different shapes for bubbles (circle, square, diamond, hexagon) if you have trouble differentiating the four colors. There is also a multiplayer mode that I've not tried yet, and a "chill" mode where you simply pop bubbles without worrying about score and time. At 700 points and only 110 blocks, it is easy on your Wii system memory and on your wallet, although you can only buy points in increments of 2000 (points cards) or 1000 (online w/ credit card). BTW, 1000 Wii points is equal to $10.

So far, pOp is the only Wiiware title I can recommend.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2008 9:45:53 PM PDT
S. Willowby says:
My mom has the use of only one hand - thanks for this discussion!!

So far she really likes the Wii sports that came with the console, especially the bowling. Endless Ocean is also another favorite, as is Cooking Mama. My daughter has Dogz2, and it is also a one-handed game. To me, it feels alot like a Zelda game, only with dogs. Mom likes it.

We have all been having fun with the Wiiware Defend Your Castle game. Very silly and fun. The wii has been great for our family. My mom feels like she can participate more instead of just watching, and is kicking my butt in tennis and bowling.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2008 10:38:07 PM PDT
Try defend your castle. It gets insane in later levels. Even on normal you will be retrying the levels. Thankfully after selecting retry you can add more health to the castle and the troops you have on the prior attempt are there for you to use.

One can read the manuals of the wiiware games before you buy the game which is a great thing. The Nintendo channel is also great for both the DS demo download station ability but also the trailers of upcoming games. Nice to see a lot of niche great games get advertising such as Mushroom Men.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Wii forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Wii forum
Participants:  32
Total posts:  46
Initial post:  Feb 19, 2008
Latest post:  Jan 2, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions