Customer Discussions > Wii forum

Are the original consoles (GC compatible) already hard to find?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-42 of 42 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 31, 2011 4:33:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 31, 2011 4:33:56 AM PST
yabrokehomie says:
I just picked one up for $40 at Pawnxchange, reson being I had 23 GC games and no system to play them on and Im lovin it.

Posted on Dec 31, 2011 11:39:22 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
I'm sure Game Stop or any other store that sells used consoles will have plenty of GC compatible ones. Unlike the PS3 or 360, the Wii is extremely reliable, so picking up a used console should yield no issues at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2012 8:19:45 AM PST
WolfPup says:
I had my first Wii die, my second seems to be developing the same problem, and I've never had a problem with my Playstation 3, which gets a lot more use (including some Folding @ Home).

Plus the Wii is an entire generation older hardware, so it SHOULD have been more reliable, though it seems like it's had a lot more problems than the Gamecube, despite being basically the same hardware.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2012 7:55:50 PM PST
> Plus the Wii is an entire generation older hardware, so it SHOULD have been more reliable, though it seems like it's had a lot more problems than the Gamecube, despite being basically the same hardware.

The Wii seems to have a pretty dinky cooling system for what little heat it generates. The extremely cramped form factor doesn't help. The GC was cramped too but it seemed to have better ventilation design to me, in addition to being clocked lower. My first GC's optical drive did die on me anyway.

Also the original Wii model's optical drive was prone to breakage from what I understand. I don't know if the GC minidisc grabber mechanism played into that.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2012 8:56:55 AM PST
WolfPup says:
I wonder if it's as simple as that, about the cooling system? I remember at launch, tons of their GPUs were dying, and it's like yes it's clocked 50% faster than the Gamecube, but it's also being manufactured 5 years later...this shouldn't be an issue.

Is it even REALLY that much smaller than the Gamecube? The Gamecube's pretty small...but yeah, I guess it is... I don't really remember any widespread issues with the 'cube.

You think whatever mechanism allows the old Wiis to handle Gamecube discs could really affect that? I hadn't thought of that, but sounds plausible I guess. I mean a normal tray you just stick it in the center, and probably nothing really special you have to do with it, but a slot loading drive?

I just always used to think of Nintendo's stuff as reliable, but I don't know, I feel like the Wii's cheap, and the portables I haven't had problems, but they don't feel like they're built or designed as well as the PSP either.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2012 11:27:30 AM PST
ritterschick says:
There are still "old" ones available. You have to find the right bundle, like this one:

Wii Console with Mario Kart Wii Bundle - White

Posted on Jan 10, 2012 5:17:56 AM PST
So, I am not tech savvy and really just want to beable to pop the game in and play....my Wii died right before Christmas. Not even knowing that there was a "new" model, I purchased the only one left at Walmart. Low and behold, it does not have the gamecube ports. What really makes me mad is that in October, I purchased the Wii Cyberbike $200...cant hook it up to the new Wii console as it needs to plug into gamecube port....Cant return bike as it has been too long...They have to make an adapter or something....I emailed agetec, they make the bike, but no response! I neither want nor need to have more than one system and I don't have gamecube games, so I don't want to buy a gamecube....I am open to suggestions!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2012 12:35:53 PM PST
Can you return the Wii you purchased?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2012 4:57:21 PM PST
IDK, I don't think walmart will take it back as it is used....maybe nintendo will do something for me, but I doubt it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2012 8:21:03 PM PST
Even though it's open, you could try returning it to Wal-Mart, explaining that it doesn't have the capabilities you thought it would have, since it's a Wii. I'd probably try that first. If it doesn't work, you might try re-selling it--or trading it in at Gamestop for a backward compatible model.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2012 9:55:51 AM PST
I just tried to contact Fillpoint...they are listed on amazon as the manufacturer of the cyberbike. They are actually just a wharehouse distribution center. The lady was nice and took my name and number. She says she has a contact and will forward my complaint to him. She thought he would contact me today, so I am waiting to see....if not, my next step will be asking walmart to let me return the new wii. I know where I can get a barely used old model wii for $100, so if walmart will take it back, I will be all set. What a pain in the arse though!

Posted on Jan 12, 2012 1:56:29 PM PST
New Wii user.

I have the gun where you put the controller on top and the nunchuk is connected and becomes part of the handle (may be called "light gun" but got in a 15 piece family accessories kit).

I like the operation of the gun because you use the "Z" as the trigger and is in the right place. You can still use the "B" for games that only let you use that button but it is awkward and you seem to be using the wrong hand.

I know that you can get guns that access the "B" button by a trigger but from reviews seems to have various problems such as delays and broken parts and springs since you don't use the "B" button directly.

I just prefer the "Z" button on the nunchuk since it is a direct trigger.

With the "B" button so far forward on the controller it would be tough to design a pistol to access the "B" button directly. Is there one out there ?? If there is one out there, would the balance be off ??

Are there any rifles or shotguns available that trigger the "B" button directly ??

Does anyone have a list of games that allow you to redirect the trigger to "Z" on the nunchuck or "only" use the "Z" button ??

Any input would be appreciated.

Posted on Jan 13, 2012 2:43:46 PM PST
tshell says:
Once I figured out that my new unit was not backwards compatible, I called the Nintendo of America hotline and complained. They sent me an advanced replacement that was backwards compatible one and gave me the same one year warrranty as I had on the new unit. They even gave me the choice of color. Try it!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 11:21:01 AM PST
Awesome tshell....I will definitely give it a shot....nothing to lose at this point. I was waiting for the manufactuer of the bike to call me, but I guess thats not going to happen! The best thing would be an adapter!!

Posted on Jan 16, 2012 12:52:55 PM PST
Hey tshell....thanks for the advice. I called Nintendo, they are sending me an advanced replacement as well. Let me choose the color, charged me $5.00 for shipping and said it should be here in the next 3-4 days, with a one year warranty. Yay nintendo. There currently is not an adapter and I told them they might want to manufacture one ASAP. My next chore is to figure out what other gamecube games that I can use with the cyberbike!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2012 12:58:13 PM PST
WolfPup says:
There's no way they'll do an adapter, is my guess. The Wii is just a faster clocked Gamecube, and backwards compatiblity with the Gamecube was achieved in the easiest way possible, just have it set to "Gamecube" mode. They'd have to do fancy stuff in software to get the USB ports to function as Gamecube ports, and Nintendo hasn't done that yet ever, so I just wouldn't expect it to happen here.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 1:35:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 26, 2012 1:48:32 PM PST
Rommel says:
@Mary N. Prinz:

I tried the Advanced Replacement program by Nintendo and they are now charging $10 for the premium service fee. They also need a Visa or MasterCard as insurance while you send your console back to Nintendo. I have not seen anyone here or at the Nintendo support forums mention the fact that the replacement unit is actually a refurbished one. Nintendo refuses to call it that so they tell you its a "Factory Certified" unit. The service manager I talked to wanted to know if the customer rep I initially called used the term refurbished. They vehemently defend the use of "Factory Certified" to make the customer agree to swap a brand new console for another that has been used and previously serviced for defects. The refurbished unit carries the same warranty as a new console.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Wii forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  42
Initial post:  Nov 13, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 26, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions