Customer Discussions > Wii forum

What do I need when I purchase a Wii?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 40 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 28, 2009 6:14:44 PM PST
C. D. Capen says:
I am totally unaware of what composes a Wii system.....want to purchase Wii with the sports option for a gift, but don't know what comes in the box and what else you need. I see 'bundles' offered, and am completely confused. What is needed to complete a setup and to play? THANKS!

Posted on Nov 28, 2009 11:08:22 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 14, 2011 6:15:33 AM PDT]

Posted on Nov 29, 2009 6:06:26 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2009 6:07:54 AM PST
If you purchase a Wii system, it comes with everything you need to setup the system and a remote and nunchuk for one player. The game Wii Sports is also packaged with the system.

If you want more than one person to be able to play at a time, then you'll need to buy additional remotes and nunchuks.

Posted on Nov 29, 2009 6:13:59 AM PST
M. Johnson says:
I just got the $199.00 wii at target. it came with one wii console, 1 sports game and one remote with nanchuk plus the wires and power supply to hook up the wii. Not hard to hook up at all. I did buy resort that came with the enhanced controler, mario cart which came with the wheel plus i bought one more wheel i also bought 3 more remote controlers plus one nunchuk for boxing. Look for games that include a controler for the price of the game you can run four remotes at once so every one can play. I haven't figured out if I will keeo kareoke revolution which also came with a mike because the songs are for a younger crowd a least that are listed on the package I am looking for a complete list when I saw your post. Hope this helps

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2009 10:52:03 AM PST
Thanks - a great help. I am totally in the woods - don't know a thing.

Posted on Nov 29, 2009 11:56:26 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 1, 2010 7:18:04 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 29, 2009 11:56:28 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 1, 2010 7:18:03 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 29, 2009 4:30:05 PM PST
In the Wii box will be everything (besides the TV) that you need for 1 person to play the 5 sports game (Boxing, Tennis, Bowling, Baseball, and Golf) that comes with the console.

If you want 2 people to be able to play at once I recommend buying Wii Play because it comes with 9 more games and 1 more controller for roughly the price of a controller alone.

A lot of stores have lots of plastic bits that fit on the Wiimote to make it look like a golf club, tennis racket, etc. These are unneccessary and take up space. The only one that's even useful is the gun one, and only if you get a shooting game. Don't be misled into thinking you need these things.

If you don't know what game you will like, it's a good idea to sign up for GameFly. It's a service like NetFlix but for video games. You can try a lot of different games that way, without having the hassle of returning to the store games that just aren't your style.

Posted on Nov 29, 2009 9:47:10 PM PST
D. Whitney says:
It comes with 1 wiimote and 1 nunchuck, you'll want at least two (as stated above get WiiPlay for the 2nd wiimote). The nunchucks are only sold separately. Rechargable batteries are a must. Otherwise you're good. Extra games are a personal thing.

We ended up buying a total of 4 wiimotes so we could all play tennis, MarioKart, and Guitar Hero World Tour, but you can always get those later.

No need for the MarioKart wheels they just hold the wiimotes.
We also found no use for 4 nunchucks.

Posted on Nov 29, 2009 11:18:21 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Sep 14, 2011 6:15:34 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2009 5:11:09 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2009 5:15:50 AM PST
I work for Toys R US in the electronic section, and since the release of the Wii system, your question is the #1 question asked by consumers. The basic Wii system sold by retailers at this time is the "Wii Sports" which is the $199.99 system, this includes The actual system itself, one basic controller, and one nunchuck, which is the joystick that hooks into the bottom of the controller. If you are buying the Wii for a person that intends to only play one player games, then you are all set. If you want them to be able to play two player games, then you will want to purchase a second controller. The basic retail price for a second controller is $39.99. A second nunchuck isn't entirely necessary. Only certain games require the nunchuck, and on the back of each game sleeve in the top right corner you are provided with the controller requirements for that game. The game that comes with the system is the Wii Sports, which includes: Bowling, Baseball, Tennis, Golf, and Boxing. Of all these games, only the Boxing requires the nunchuck. The nunchuck is $19.99 at retail price. All the other attachments such as the golf club, tennis racket, ect. are merely unnecessary addons. It gets very confusing for consumers to figure out all that is needed, considering that when new Wii games are released, there are often new attachments and accesories made for them that are usually not necessary. I hope i've helped! If you still have questions im happy to help!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2009 5:09:12 AM PST
M. Bauman says:
Thank You Carolyn,
You were a big help for me, too.
TB

Posted on Dec 2, 2009 6:28:38 AM PST
A. Reale says:
Another thing you might want to consider buying is an SD card for expansion purposes. If you plan on downloading a lot of games through your Wii, you'll want the extra memory since the Wii only has 512 MB internal memory. You can pick up 4GB SD cards for just a few dollars.

Posted on Dec 2, 2009 10:03:00 AM PST
M. Goodman says:
It all depends on what games you want to play. There are a handlful of games that require additonal hardward to play, otherwise most accessories are a waste of money. The standard console bundle includes console, one remote, one nunchuck, Wii Sports, and all necessary cables. 2 AA batteries are required for each remote and are included. If you want to play with others, you will need to buy an extra remote for each player. An extra nunchuck for each player may be required as well, depending on the game. Some Wii games support up to four players.

If you want to play Wii fit, you will need the Balance Board and the Wii fit game disc (usually bundled together). 4 AA batteries are needed for the board and are included. The console will only support one balance board, so there's no need to buy more than one.

If you want to play Wii Sports Resort (or other "Motion-Plus" games), you will need the Motion Plus Remote Add-on. (Currently bundled with Wii Sports Resort) If you want to play with multiple players, each remote will need the Motion Plus Remote Add-on, which can also be purchased separately.

If you want to play Rock Band/Guitar Hero you will need to purchase the appropriate Wii-branded instruments (Guitar, Drums, Mic).

If you want to play downloadables games from the Wii store you will need a credit card or a Wii Points card to purchase the games. Some games may require either the Classic Controller or a Nunchuck. Alternatively, a Game Cube controller can be use instead of the Classic Controller for many downloadable games. Each game has icons for which controllers may be needed to play. An SD memory card is also a good idea as the hard drive on the Wii is limited and you may need to backup games in order to make space for new games.

If you want to play games in 480p, you will need to purchase a component cable. A standard RCA composit cable is included with the console.

All the other Wii items you see are only accessories and do not have any actual requirement or even impact on the gameplay. These can include: remote attachments (swords, baseball bats, golf clubs, steering wheels, guns), workout packages (mats, workout socks, wrist/head/ankle bands, board sleeve, travel bag), and battery packs/charge stations. However, if you play a lot of Wii and you find yourself constantly replacing batteries, a good battery pack and recharge station is a wise purchase. If you already own rechargable batteries, they will work just fine.

I know this is a long list and may seem like it would break the bank, but the majority of Wii games only need the remote and nunchuck. Hope this list helps!

Posted on Dec 2, 2009 7:42:46 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 9, 2011 2:57:14 PM PST
I would like to purchase a wii for my grandchildren to use at my house. They mostly play just dance and will bring that with them. What do I need to purchase? I would really rather not purchase things they will not use.

Posted on Dec 9, 2011 4:18:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 13, 2011 5:51:05 AM PST
As noted above, everything you need for one player to play a game is in the box. You should add:

- rechargeable batteries for the remotes and a charging station --- one of the dedicated induction ones is best.

- as many additional remotes and nunchuks as you will have players playing at one time (up to a total of 4)

- (optional) a gun shell such as the Wii Zapper if you like shooting games (agree that things like tennis rackets are a bad idea)

- (optional) racing wheel shells if you like racing games

- (optional) the Wii Balance Board if there are games you want which use it

- more games --- just always research games carefully, finding reviewers whose tastes match yours.

Posted on Dec 10, 2011 6:03:30 PM PST
Last Christmas we bought a Wii, and found a few inexpensive items were still needed to make it practicable.

First, the Wii is a bit confusing, for Nintendo doesn't describe its hardware well. Mine is white, and is powered by a white wall-plug transformer. It can communicate with the Internet by means of WiFi (54 Mbps) or a USB cable with adapter for your router, for full download speed. My kit didn't supply a USB cable (which should be shielded), and my generic adapter didn't work: however, Nintendo sold an expensive one. The protocol and security offered by the console will determine that used by your home network. It took great research to finally connect mine with IEEE 802.11g protocol and WPA2 Personal security. (I used 19 alphabetic characters in the password.) This is a problem if my granddaughter wants to play against a friend across town, for that requires turning off all devices but the router & console, and temporarily resetting both to WEP security (which is too easily cracked). Though I download at only 54 Mbps, Netflix is sharp when in 'Standard Mode' on the 51" TV is set to maximal sharpness. (For my DVD player, I use an HDMI cable and 'Movie Mode', which turns off artificial sharpness.) Rumour is that 300Mbps (a cable and extra $10 a month to my DSL provider) will stream 720p resolution.

The remotes, held in the hand, use a combination of Bluetooth radio waves to control buttons & such, and infrared light to control where the arrow lies on the screen (assisted by a provided sensor bar to be place above or below the TV). Both are economical modes of communication; but I immediately replaced the AA batteries with rechargeable batteries and an IC (induction charging) cradle by Nyco. 'Wii Resort' is our most used disc, and several sport games require a Nunchuck. I bought a second remote, two Nunchucks, an IC rechargable battery set & cradle (for which I'm having trouble finding replacement batteries). What I bought was of the topmost quality, though.

The last 'hardware' that is almost necessary are soft covers to protect both the remote & nunchuck if dropped. Each device has extremely sensitive acceleration sensors. Even placing one on a hard surface makes me nervous. I acquired two soft, silicone covers, like those sold by Nintendo; and (sadly) thin covers for the nunchucks. Bicycling is apparently hard on the nunchucks, for two failed (partly). If one appears to create problems, compare the sound when shook next to a working one. Wrist straps are provided and very important.

Last, because we have a digital TV, I replaced the composite cable with a 'Monster' component cable to improve the resolution. All agreed it was perceptibly better than the composite cable provided. We also have a plasma screen: Nintendo games use the whole screen, things move, and the screen changes with the game. The Wii menu has changing icons with a light-grey background. (Good thinking ahead.)

We later bought Wii health and the balance board. But, not having skied, my granddaughter doesn't play the ski games. We use it to weigh our cats. Also, for both remotes, I extended their sensitivity with 'Plus' adapters; I assume these are built into newer models of the remote.

In short, two remotes and an IC battery charger is really needed early. Silicone protective covers come soon after. For digital TVs, get a composite video cable. For streaming videos, invest in a shielded USB cable and adapter for your router. Bicyclers will want nunchucks early; and avid skiers will want the balance board after becoming comfortable with the system.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2011 7:42:11 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 10, 2011 7:42:21 PM PST
Don't the wiimotes come with silicone covers already now? By the way, they are not as fragile as you think. They're meant to be thrashed around. The covers are to protect people and things in your living room from damage caused by the wiimote, not the other way around.

Monster brand products are a tremendous ripoff. You can get way cheaper cables just about anywhere that will be every bit as good.

If you're setting up a guest Wii for grandchildren, I think all you really need to buy is the console itself and perhaps component video cables if you have an HDTV. The kids can bring their own games and extra controllers to use with it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2011 11:02:13 AM PST
etp says:
Thank you!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2011 2:22:11 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 12, 2011 3:14:11 PM PST
This advice is good. My choice of products was based upon what was available a year ago and shortly after.

Still, I should insure as many devices capable of being dropped have silicone covers. The acceleration of tapping a hard plastic device on a table is very great. Nunchucks seems to fail rapidly. Remember, laptops were designed to be dropped onto the floor, and we know how well that worked. :-)

I was reminded that my model of Wii has only an analog video output; so one can anticipate only about 480p resolution when streaming video, then interpolated by a digital TV. (Remember, interpolation of 54 Mbps is good.) Computers & digital devices reputably stream 300 Mbps at digital 720p resolution. A Wii yet to appear will do this as well (I'm told).

Also, friends can exchange icons of people (Miis) by carrying their remote to a friend's house. Mark your devices with indelible ink in some obscure place, so remotes don't get confused!

My granddaughter I prevented from joining the Nintendo 'Club' or network because of the quantity of unnecessary information asked.

However, with only a WiFi connection to our home network, she can send e-mail to friends' computers from the Wii Menu, and she has ten 'channels' (think website or cloud application).

One 'channel' displays photos in her e-mail & camera, and others include shopping at Nintendo, previewing applications, creating Miis, entering Miis in a contest (which she greatly enjoys), weather, news, Netflix, trivial questions, and the Opera Web browser (though not very practical). Opera can't run 'Hulu', for there is no Flash player for the Wii's operating system; the Netflix interface is nice, but requires a small monthly fee to Netflix for streaming.

Posted on Dec 12, 2011 2:45:49 PM PST
Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. If they have any interest in good games, then get it.

Posted on Dec 15, 2011 6:29:11 PM PST
Just wondering if I should wait to purchase the WII2?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2011 11:44:20 AM PST
Thank you for this post. Can you tell me is the motion plus adapter necessary to play the new games?

Posted on Dec 17, 2011 12:21:00 PM PST
OoAK says:
The motion plus accessory is not required for newer games. The latest game that does require it is The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. There aren't very many games that make use of the accessory, but it will say whether or not the accessory is required on the case when you buy the game.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Wii forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Wii forum
Participants:  29
Total posts:  40
Initial post:  Nov 28, 2009
Latest post:  Oct 27, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions