Customer Discussions > Wii forum

Are the original consoles (GC compatible) already hard to find?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 42 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 13, 2011 3:50:18 PM PST
shokwave says:
With the release of the new SKU that does not support GC games/accessories, I suppose this bundle and others like it will be hard to find? Amazon doesn't sell it anymore and I'm not seeing it at many stores.

I thought about waiting for another price drop but would prefer to get the one that can play GC games. Should I get one before it's too late?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2011 3:57:20 PM PST
thewindwaker says:
I'm sure you can always find one used on ebay, so there's no need to rush. However, if you want one brand-new, then you should probably get one before the end of the holiday season, as most stores seem to be clearing out the older models.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2011 7:39:18 PM PST
I thought the SKU lacking GC compatibility was Europe only? http://www.destructoid.com/nintendo-no-plans-for-slim-wii-in-north-america-209130.phtml

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 8:49:50 AM PST
shokwave says:
Nope. It's all over the place here already.

http://www.target.com/p/Nintendo-Wii-Console-Black-with-New-Super-Mario-Bros-Wii-Music-CD-Nintendo-Wii/-/A-13796797

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 9:02:14 AM PST
I agree. If you want the older model brand new, then don't wait. Last time at the store, I noticed they didn't have any of the older models on the shelf anymore.

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 10:39:48 AM PST
Paper Tiger says:
I wouldn't wait either. Once there is a high demand for a limited supply you will be over-paying on places like ebay! We kept our Gamecube and thankfully our Wii is backward compatible. GC has some awesome games! On the brighter side GC games will most likely be available for download on the Wii U eventually...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2011 10:48:02 AM PST
Agreed. I paid top dollar for a used fully backward compatible PS3 this year. If gamecube compatability is an important feature for you, pick it up right away. Or you could just buy a used gamecube if you are unable to find a bc Wii. The gamecube is not at all expensive anymore.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2011 1:17:33 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2011 1:18:45 PM PST
That's good to know. Looks like the new model number is RVL-101 with build dates in Oct 2011.
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/difference.jsp

Edit: You know, this also sucks because you can't use the GC controller for Wii games that support it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2011 4:58:02 PM PST
LOl. buy a gamecube for twenty bucks. those things are indestructible.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2011 4:59:09 PM PST
why bother doing that? a ps2 is a hundred bucks. you over spent.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2011 6:16:35 PM PST
Gamecubes don't have YPbPr output built in, and the adapter (which only some models were compatible with) is rare and expensive. Using a Wii is the easiest way to play GC games in 480p.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2011 6:30:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2011 6:31:10 AM PST
nah, I got the backward compatible 60 gig used for $250. I consider it top dollar to pay the same price as a new slim, but I did still get what I was looking for at $250 instead of $350. And, since I have all three consoles, a bluray player, my cable box, and a PC tower hooked up to my television, I don't have any more available inputs for a PS2. I suppose I could play PS2 games on the other television, but since that is my wife's preferred place to be, I think she would get pretty pissed if I started invading her space to play games since she is pretty patient with the amount of time I spend doing it in the living room now.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2011 6:44:33 AM PST
WolfPup says:
Are you sure that doesn't have backwards compatibility though?

For that matter, any word on this using smaller chips? Might be more reliable...

Sort of a moot point I guess since the Wii U isn't compatible with the Gamecube anyway :-/

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 8:24:05 PM PST
shokwave says:
States it right on Nintendo's website:

"This version of the Wii hardware is not compatible with Nintendo GameCube game discs or accessories."

http://www.nintendo.com/wii/console

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2011 9:16:12 PM PST
WolfPup says:
Thanks! Well dang, that stinks.

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 10:51:11 AM PST
kingdrake2 says:
you can still find the gc compatible wii's, just have to look around on amazon or box store. they will be hard to find very soon.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2011 11:10:56 AM PST
WolfPup says:
*sigh* I guess it's fine I got rid of my Gamecube stuff after all. I should have kept Zelda though...

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 2:13:56 PM PST
Paper Tiger says:
Bummer Wolfpup. We kept the Gamecube just for Windwaker, the Pikmins, and Eternal Darkness...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2011 2:24:51 PM PST
Definitely worth it to keep the Cube. We still have 30 or so GC games, plus the GB player is kind of cool too. I may trade-in our Wii toward the Wii U (since the U will be bc with Wii games), and then I'll be really glad we still have a GC around for the older ones.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2011 3:04:03 PM PST
WolfPup says:
yeah, those are all awesome games. Starfox Adventures too!

At least Pikmin 1 was rereleased on the Wii. Went from cutting edge visuals to just kinda-sorta okay, but it still plays great. I was worried about th "new play control", and it should include classic pad support, but surprisingly it plays about as well as it did before. Maybe a little worse in some ways, but actually still very good.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2011 3:54:29 PM PST
So many Wiis with GC compatibility were already sold before October 2011 that I can't imagine it will ever be difficult to find one used, especially since most people won't prize them for the GC compatibility anyway... the system was under-appreciated when it was new, during Wii's heyday, and probably will remain so in the future.

It's kind of like Dreamcast... from all the fond editorials you read about how great it was and how everyone misses it, you'd think they might be rare or expensive now. Actually, the consoles and games are easy and cheap to find used (with a few exceptions).

Posted on Nov 22, 2011 11:07:37 AM PST
Jeff says:
I've got a few Gamecubes and Dreamcast systems that I can't sell.... I do Swap meets and I sell alot of N64s and Xboxes, but in the last six months I have sold one GC and no Dreamcasts.......

And as far as getting a BC Wii, there are millions of them out there..... remember how popular the Wii was? And now, most people have bored of their initial rounds of wii sports (which was why a ton of casual gamers bought the wii in the first place) so they're plentiful on the secondary market.

I would'nt even mess with ebay.... I'd check craigslist, that way you can get it cheap and just pick it up from someone local.

Posted on Nov 24, 2011 12:50:11 PM PST
L. Puentes says:
You can buy one at gamestop, they still has them, just look at the box, if the wii is standing vertical and it comes with mario kart, that's the one. The new ones appear horizontal on the box picture.

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 3:47:56 PM PST
R. S. P. Lee says:
The GC games are downloadable, but you need the controller that would work on that GC game system. There is the SNes controller-type that was made but what I found out, if you buy a joystick, like the one made for tatsunoko (sp) vs. capcom, it has aswitch on it that allows you to have a GC layout for those games. Saved me from going out and buying another controller!
Wii Tatsunoko vs. Capcom Arcade FightStick

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2011 5:21:59 PM PST
I don't quite understand what you're saying. GC games are not currently downloadable (for the Wii), and GC accessories will not be compatible with the Wii-U.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Wii forum

ARRAY(0xa9e14c9c)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Wii forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  42
Initial post:  Nov 13, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 26, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions