Customer Discussions > Women's Fiction forum

Need recommendation for nice story, good for bedtime reading

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 81 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 8, 2010 9:33:24 PM PDT
Amanda says:
I hope this is an ok place to post my recommendation request. I am in my mid-20s and read a wide variety of fiction, including young adult, and I especially enjoy stories with strong female leads and some intelligence to them (as in, intelligent story and main character!) Lately I've been reading a ton of great books but they all have been with either really strong fantasy elements, or too much drama, disease, illness, set in a post-apocalyptic world, contain vampires, etc. You probably know what I'm talking about. These things are all fine in a good book, but I am finding that they're giving me nightmares. So I'd love to find some nice, soothing story before bed. It should be interesting and can have some drama, but I'd rather stay away from really dark depressing themes or strong fantasy elements. (I'll read those earlier in the day.) Some examples of similar books that I've read in the past that I like to read before bed include historical novels by Sarah Dunant and Tracy Chevalier, or nice modern-day coming of age type stories like the books by Sarah Dessen.

Thanks!

Posted on Jun 9, 2010 1:40:14 PM PDT
How about The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield? Have you run across Shadow Woman and the Jane Whitefield novels by Thomas Perry? How about the Thomas and Charlotte Pitt novels by Anne Perry (The Cater Street Hangman et al)

Posted on Jun 9, 2010 2:52:06 PM PDT
Irish Rose says:
a great book is Sloppy Kisses, Amber Jordan... it is a great quick, funny, romantic, uplifting, read... :)

Posted on Jun 10, 2010 9:29:02 AM PDT
Amanda says:
Thanks! I haven't read any of those... I will definitely look them up right away!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2010 2:20:53 PM PDT
There are no vampires or fantasy elements and no depressing themes in my romance novel All Work, No Play about a strong, intelligent female attorney who has to back off her work schedule to make room for love in her life.

Posted on Jun 19, 2010 11:16:40 PM PDT
TJD says:
When The Spirit Moves You. Historical, paranormal romance, not Stephen King scary.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2010 7:15:14 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 20, 2010 7:21:49 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2010 7:20:49 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 20, 2010 7:22:34 AM PDT
Hi, Amanda,
You might enjoy my short fiction collection Nine to Ninety: Stories across the generations. It's just been published as an Amazon Kindle ebook at
Nine to Ninety: Stories across the generations

It's also available from the publisher Wordwrights Canada as a paperback in Large Print format -- an easy-reading gift for women seniors.
http://www.wordwrights.ca

Posted on Dec 11, 2010 12:34:03 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on May 10, 2011 1:18:42 PM PDT]

Posted on Mar 9, 2011 7:44:50 AM PST
Venus says:
Garden Spells (Bantam Discovery) is a good choice.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2011 7:04:33 AM PST
Hi Amanda,

You might enjoy my new women's eBook collection, the Willow Ryan series. You mentioned that you like to read books with strong female leads, and that is definitely Willow. Here is the description of the first book, Secrets: A Willow Ryan Novel (Willow Ryan Series):

It is the summer of 1986, and recent high school graduate Willow Ryan is going to have a baby, something she never imagined would happen to her. Unable to disclose her secret and unwilling to give up her baby, Willow leaves her Midwestern home for a new life in charming Santa Elena, California, where she lands a job working for a quirky Southern belle named Peggy, who has a knack for finding trouble in the most unlikely places. Willow's new neighbor, a friendly surfer dude named Denny, quickly becomes someone she can count on for anything, but could there be more to their relationship than Willow sees?

"Secrets" will take you on a journey with this independent, determined young woman as she grows up quickly, becomes a mother, and deals with a catastrophic event that makes all of her secrets come to light.

I hope you find some great new books to read!

Shannon Higgins
http://willowwriter.blogspot.com

Posted on Mar 12, 2011 2:14:28 PM PST
Carving The Light :)

Also available in paperback: Carving The Light

Posted on Mar 13, 2011 8:37:19 AM PDT
What is an eighteen year old newly wed doing traveling on a massive merchant ship anyways? Hadn't she gone to Greece on tour in a ballet as a dancer? These are questions, Katy asks herself while traveling the high seas with Don her chief officer. However, little do they know a smuggling ring is also on board for this ride, on a blue diamond exchange and when explosions and threats to sink the ship also happen, they must try to save themselves.

Getting to know the smugglers, the Arabic and Pakistani deck hands and Don, the Greek Seaman is an exciting sea adventure with enough suspense and romance that will make you laugh and cry. It will take you on a voyage to experience the magnificent soothing wonders and beautiful scenery at sea, dolpins, flying fishes and takes you through storms and hurricanes where Katy finds herself navigating through it with a seasick crew. From Piraeus, Greece, your visit the ports of Lebanon and Libya and enjoy the exotic magic of the bazaar. The love between Don and Katy, in their ordeal at sea makes this a memorable story. Enjoy!
The Greek Seaman

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2011 3:06:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 28, 2011 3:16:33 PM PDT
Hi Amanda,

I just self-published a book a week ago and it's set in a post-apocalyptic future but I don't think you'll find what you might think in it *heh* Mostly, it's a Jewish Inspirational / RomCom. It's very uplifting and not all dark and depressing. I hate those books, too. There is some supernatural stuff but it's about "the light" not about demons and all that other crap in the paranormals out today. I shouldn't call it crap. I loved Buffy The Vampire Slayer but more for the humor--and David B naturally :) Oh and even though Dicky behaves like a little whiny baby sometimes (such a guy!) I don't know if he's "coming of age" as much as "coming into himself" - hence the title which is taken from a scene in Ch 20 when he does finally, "come home, at last."

The first chapter is what's left of a science fiction short story I wrote when I was 19 so the early chapters sound really scifi-ish but it's really not a scifi story. I'm 50 now so it took THIS long for me to give in and write something Jewish. Actually I finished writing it when I was 39 so 20 years of stubbornly denying this was a Jewish Inspirational. Plus in the first draft I deliberately avoided putting in any sex since I figured the religious market wouldn't want to read about hawt sex. Yeah, well, they claim that anyway.

Since I was 9, I've been writing--technothriller types of scifi (I loathe fantasy genre)--but in 2006 someone told me what I'm really writing is romance so I went ahead this winter and changed the tone, pacing and amount of hawt sex :) to make this a true RomCom. I think the sex is a little too hawt for these characters but my current Romantic Suspense Hero kept wanting my attention while I was writing this so his Alpha personality bled over a little, I think. They have fun anyway. There is a lot of laughing going on and a little giggling. No tickling, except of Itzick, the 6 yo Imp with the "special powers."

The story itself is a faith walk though. No mystery there, the guy is GOING to "find G*d" cause that's the plot but the point of the story is the journey the characters take. I think Coming Home (Dicky's Story) is a fun book you would enjoy reading at bedtime. It's a very long book so it'll keep you chuckling for a while. Might not be good to read the sexy parts at bedtime though (haha)

As an added bonus, you might learn a few words or phrases of Hebrew. Not prayerspeak *shudder* The kind of Hebrew slang they speak on the streets in Israel. Non-Jews seem to find this little mini-language lesson the book gives as some kind of plus. I don't think I actually teach all that much but I suppose if readers think I do, I must. I'll be on Goodreads a lot and am always happy to answer questions and/or translate anything I leave untranslated in the book. I leave Dicky, the Hero, plenty confused by this foreign language. If you need to know what someone says to follow the story, I have someone translate it for Dicky.

Here's the description (a little long) I posted in a Jewish Fiction Community here on Amazon:

A decade or so ago, the Christian Fiction market exploded with this series called "Left Behind." I read one of them, the first book, and kind of liked it but I felt the Jews in it were REALLY badly represented and either the authors had NO clue what actual Jewish thought and tradition was or they deliberately misrepresented us. I wouldn't be surprised if it were a little of both.

Anyway, in 1999, after I made Aliyah, I found myself a little surprised to be writing a novel that turned out to be a RomCom / Jewish Inspirational and in the middle of the book, 100% ON PURPOSE, just because I wanted to, I made up a JEWISH End of the World Story to thumb my nose at the Left Behind series.

I kind of toned it down this winter when I was editing the book, chapter by chapter to slant it for the romance novel readers but still. It's a fun End of the World story and it is a key "bone" of contention between the Hero and his Heroine. Almost as bad as his calling her "you people" - Dicky will NEVER live that down (LOL) but we love him anyway.

Coming Home (Dicky's Story) is a very definitely faith walk story, an inspirational fiction that could go head to head with the best of 'em in the Christian Fiction market but it is sooooo decidedly Jewish, from the Scriptural quotes out of the Soncino Press Pentateuch to the transliterated Hebrew quoting an joke tagline from an Israeli television commercial (tak-sheevli, v'tak-sheevi tov! got a chuckle in 1999 when I wrote the book anyway). You'll know Dicky's going to "choose to be chosen"; you just don't know WHEN he'll finally make that leap of faith. Well, sometime before "The End" anyway.

Coming Home (Dicky's Story) is also absolutely a Romantic Comedy. Yes, Dicky & Leah will stop miscommunicating and judging each other and flirting and then denying it and just give love a chance. Of course, with Itzick the Imp hanging around and manipulating the two adults, it'd be kind of difficult for them NOT to end up together. Plus, romance novel, so there's a Contract with the Reader which I fill and fulfill and fill again ...yeah, the sex is hawt! Let a Christian Fiction story do THAT for you!

Coming Home (Dicky's Story) is a glimpse into Jewish life as I envision it in the far future, in a post-apocalyptic world after the Year 6000 has come and gone. Non-Jews will learn a little Hebrew, a lot of Jewish daily customs (Nihtilat yadaiyim drives most non-Jewish readers crazy and I cannot tell you how many people wanted me to become laxed about them washing their hands before every single meal but nope, I did NOT cave! I won't live it but my characters WILL!) Jews, Datim and secular will recognize something of themselves in this book--hopefully, more from Yochanan's world after they go to Madrid and not from Rueven & Ariel's bad behavior in the first 5 chapters but people like that exist in our reality.

We can only get to the World to Come by changing our minds today and we can only change our minds if we have new information. Coming Home (Dicky's Story) will help you ask new questions and seek out new information even if you thought you were just reading a light little RomCom. Hashem did that to this book. It's just...like magic.

-sry
Sarah, The Webbiegrrl Writer
http://www.twitter.com/webbiegrrl
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sarah-The-Webbiegrrl-Writer/59821348638
http://www.goodreads.com/sarahthewebbiegrrlwriter

Coming Home (Dicky's Story)
A Romantic Comedy / Jewish Inspirational by Sarah R. Yoffa (March, 21, 2011)
Coming Home (Dicky's Story)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2012 8:32:57 PM PST
Perfect nighttime story for you, (though reviews say, you might not be able to put it down to actually get some sleep!) "When Lucy Washed Ashore," is a lovely read...cozy, hopeful, inspiring...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2012 9:56:22 PM PST
Beth says:
Check out Slip into the Night by Tracie Ingersoll Loy. The first 6 chapters area free read at Amazon.com
I found the main characters to be very down to earth, romance with a touch of mystery. I understand that this is Ms. Loy's first book, and I can't not wait for the sequel!

Posted on Jan 16, 2012 7:28:58 AM PST
Try this collection of short stories: Toulouse: A Brief Collection of Stories

It's a quick bedtime read, but very rewarding!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2012 11:42:01 AM PST
M. Ramos says:
Hi Amanda,

Maybe you can check out either of the ebooks I have available on Amazon! I don't think they will give you nightmares, and I know exactly what you mean by that. I've had to put books down specifically because of this. If your interested, the titles are as follows:

Even Good Girls Break the Rules
A Special Kind of Heart

Both of these novels can be classified as women's fiction.

Best of luck in your search for a good read;)

Posted on Jan 26, 2012 1:56:49 PM PST
Neetz says:
Try 'After I Do' By Vicky Gemmell on Kindle.
Amazing book that I struggled to put down.
Very very highly recommended.
Let me know what you think x

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2012 6:31:13 PM PST
Freddie says:
The Orchid Bracelet..... Allison Wagner, an American journalist sets off for Vietnam to put together a documentary on how the country has progressed since the end of the war in 1975. While at a restaurant in the Mekong Delta, she has a premonition of the fate of a young girl she meets. With her Vietnamese guide, Allison is introduced to the world of human trafficking.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2012 5:05:17 AM PST
Ankita says:
Heyy Amanda.. take a look at P.O.Box Love by Paola Calvetti. It is releasing in USA on 31st January. I'm sure it will be a great read.

Ankita

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2012 8:04:00 PM PST
Terri D. says:
Amanda give Yesterday's Lies a try.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2012 7:39:21 AM PST
Candace says:
If you'd like a female character in a rural setting, you might enjoy my book. This is a coming of age story with the heroine in her early 30's and there are no spooks in this story but rather interesting curmudgeon's like an old bachelor farmer named Charlie and a stubborn father named Arlan. Everyone who has read my book tells me they fell in love with the characters. And if you love the book, there's a second one in the series. Here's the link: Sweet Farm of Mine (Sweet Series Book 1)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2012 8:52:03 AM PST
Hi, Amanda, I'm not sure if I have what you are looking for, but I've put together a collection of short stories called "Shades of Love, stories from the heart" and I've been told the stories are intelligent, warm, fulfilling. I'm selling it for $1.99 but will lower the price to 99 cents as a Valentine's Day special starting Feb. 1st. You could go check out the free section and see if it appeals to you, then wait for the price drop. Each story is unique...and all have strong female characters. I'd be very interested in knowing if this is the kind of thing you are looking for. Also, if you like memoir, check out "Hippie Boy, A Girl's Story" by Ingrid Ricks. Hope this is helpful. Sunny Lockwood

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2012 12:18:11 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 12, 2012 2:12:28 PM PST]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Women's Fiction forum (41 discussions)

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Women's Fiction forum
Participants:  71
Total posts:  81
Initial post:  Jun 8, 2010
Latest post:  Dec 23, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 20 customers

Search Customer Discussions