Customer Discussions > Women's Fiction forum

fiction suggestions

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 84 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 1, 2009 4:50:26 PM PDT
Lillylover says:
I will soon start a long trip and would like good books to read. I like Barbara Kingsolver, Elizabeth George, Maeve Binchey, and biographies and memoirs. I have had a tough few months and this is a rest. I hope to find good fiction, lots of plot, good characters. Your suggestions most welcome.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2009 12:43:43 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 4, 2009 8:14:12 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2009 12:49:25 PM PDT
roygbiv says:
"Songs in Ordinary Time" by Mary McGarry Morris. It's about a family in rural Vermont during the 1960s, who are befriended by a conman. It is compelling, and sounds like just what you're looking for:good writing, many characters and intertwined plot lines. My friends and I all read it last summer, and we were all sorry when it ended. It's an Oprah selection, BTW.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2009 5:46:39 PM PDT
Joan Bryan says:
try penney vincenzi. wicked pleasures is one. I love her books. they are very interesting. I never get bored with them.

Posted on Jul 4, 2009 10:23:57 AM PDT
Hi Pam,
Try BLIND FAITH by Michael Kintz (yes, me). This novel is along the line of a Nicholas Sparks story. There is a love interest that gets equal time with the main theme which is recovery from emotional injury. (Good reviews so far on Amazon)
On my publisher's website; BooksToBelieveIn.com, we've offered the first 8 chapters for free; sort of a test drive to see if my writing style appeals to you.
Thanks, and enjoy your time off!
Michael Kintz

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2009 3:37:02 PM PDT
Hi Pamela, i would like to recommend to you Raymond Walker's books. Especially 'Tales From this Northern Land' and 'A River of Tears', they are truely wonderful and enchanting. Not quite Maeve Binchey but i found them to be very uplifting, especially 'A River of Tears' which renewed my faith in love. Take care and enjoy your trip. June

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2009 7:47:52 PM PDT
Mike says:
Hi Pamela,

I'd recommend "Little Lost River" by Pamela Johnston. Great plot, characters, etc. A good book to read on a long trip.

Posted on Jul 17, 2009 7:22:51 AM PDT
Just finished My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult and LOVED IT. Bawled my eyes out, but in a good way.

I'll second anything by Amy Tan, although her most recent (and only non-mother/daughter book so far) was my least fave. Also anything by Jhumpa Lahiri.

If shamelessly plugging is okay, I just started experimenting with Kindle publishing, but instead of a book, I'm doing a fiction serial called Twenty-Somewhere. I think of it as Sex and the City-meets-Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.

Episodes 1-4 here: Twenty-Somewhere
Episodes 5-8 here: Twenty-Somewhere (Episodes 5-8)

Both sets of episodes are 99 cents each.

New episodes written weekly.

Kristan Hoffman
(visit me on the web at kristanhoffman.com!)

Posted on Jul 27, 2009 7:37:07 AM PDT
Hi, Pamela!
If I may suggest...
My Quirks and My Compass

Posted on Jul 31, 2009 7:16:38 AM PDT
Two recommendations...one happens to be my own novel, FWTW.

Addition: A Novel by Toni Jordan - Grace Vandenburg is addicted to counting...she's lost her teaching job due to her OCD, and spends her days eating cake and counting things. When she meets Seamus O'Reilly, she has to decide how much her obsessive tendencies are worth, and whether medication will help her or make her less herself. This book is *funny* - don't let the description put you off. There's a scene where Grace is counting poppy seeds on a piece of cake that had me laughing so hard that I was crying.

A Scottish Ferry Tale by Nancy Volkers - Cassie Wrentham's trip to Scotland doesn't go as planned; her boyfriend dumps her the day she arrives, and she is too ashamed and bewildered to turn around and go back to the States. She chooses, essentially at random, an isle off Scotland's west coast, and travels there....where she meets someone and feels one of those connections you read about but never believe until you've experienced it yourself. But Cassie is afraid. Of failure, and success. Of getting her heart broken again, and of *not* getting it broken. The book is also funnier than it sounds...Cassie has a wry, sardonic sense of humor and an outlook on life that rides the edge between romantic and cynical. Also available on Kindle: A Scottish Ferry Tale

Posted on Aug 8, 2009 9:06:40 AM PDT
Reconsidering Happiness: A Novel (Flyover Fiction)
I just finished reading RECONSIDERING HAPPINESS by Sherrie Flick (got an early copy from the press). I loved it, posted a review on the book page. Has anyone else read it or know anything about her? I guess she has a collection of short fiction too called I CALL THIS FLIRTING, which I'm also ordering, and she runs a reading series in Pittsburgh. The thing about the book that really blew my mind is how subtle it is...as I said in my review, it doesn't end with a bang, but an ellipsis.

Posted on Aug 12, 2009 6:56:55 PM PDT
Oh, just thought of another one! THE HANDMAID'S TALE by Margaret Atwood.

Kristan
Author of Twenty-Somewhere

Posted on Aug 14, 2009 7:06:12 AM PDT
Try any books by Alice Hoffman. I always devour them! Very magical! Also, WATER FOR ELELPHANTS, one of the best I've read lately!

Posted on Aug 14, 2009 8:02:15 AM PDT
roygbiv says:
I second "Water For Elephants" and also nominate "The Poisonwood Bible."

Posted on Aug 14, 2009 10:14:41 AM PDT
Julia Deluca says:
Elizabeth Berg is wonderful. Read "Home Safe" her current novel.

Posted on Nov 30, 2009 7:04:30 AM PST
My book, The Second Tour, is a war novel. I'm getting very positive feedback from women who have had relationships with combat vets that wouldn't talk about their experiences. This book shows that it isn't so much that they wouldn't talk about it as couldn't figure out how to explain war to someone who hadn't experienced it.

Posted on Nov 30, 2009 8:33:19 PM PST
Andrea Dana says:
Try my novel, StarSitter. A really fun read and the sequel is coming out in January. Enjoy!

Posted on Dec 1, 2009 5:39:44 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Oct 18, 2010 4:05:42 PM PDT]

Posted on Dec 15, 2009 9:53:12 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 21, 2009 1:05:51 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 17, 2009 2:12:24 PM PST
An Undead Wedding A bit of fun, something that's good for someone who has had a hard year. Laughter, so they say, is the best medicine.

Posted on Dec 27, 2009 12:02:56 PM PST
If your a woman, looking for a new twist in the romance stories, then take a look at "Landy Zero." He's the guy who has you in mind all the time, remember I said mind. This Sci-Fi romance leaves you wanting to read more about him as the story grows. I wrote "Landy Zero" to create a new superhero, perhaps Landy could be yours.

Posted on Jan 18, 2010 1:58:21 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 7, 2010 12:21:41 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2010 5:21:19 PM PDT
I know this is an old post but I just had to amen Barbara, this was really a great book. I would read again had I not loaned to someone and was never returned

Posted on May 23, 2010 5:57:34 PM PDT
Annette Lyon says:
I second The Poisonwood Bible--one of my all-time favorites! A new find I loved is Jaime Ford's Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet. A self-pubbed book that I can only call "paranormal chick-lit" that I adored is Gravity vs. The Girl by Riley Noehren.

Posted on Jun 6, 2010 1:50:54 PM PDT
Sheila says:
I appreciate the opportunity to introduce my novel - Hot Tea.

If you were within arm's reach of 30, had a few dollars in the bank, and were just a little bored, what would you do? Cara O'Flynn decided to quit her job, find herself an entrepreneurial endeavor, and with the help of her sister Teagan, become wildly successful. A little cliché perhaps, but sometimes it's best to take a breath and trust the plan.

The problem - Cara didn't plan for three careers in as many days, nor did she anticipate the new guys that dropped in her lap. Worse things could happen. So, of course, they did.

When you're Irish, all things, good and bad, come in threes. It's inevitable. She should have remembered not to forget that part.

Cara and Teagan bring laughter, intelligence, and family tradition to every experience they encounter. Hot Tea is the first novel in this series.

The next novel in the series will be published on Kindle within two weeks. The second in the series is - Sweet Tea.

Please take a few moments and read the available sample. Hot Tea

Thank you,

Sheila
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Women's Fiction forum (41 discussions)

Active discussions in related forums
Discussion Replies Latest Post
can you share books between kindles? 31 10 seconds ago
outside US 1 45 seconds ago
Visa card hacked 14 53 seconds ago
FBFM II 2865 1 minute ago
FREE Books & Chat - Wed/Thurs Oct 1 & 2, 2014 23 2 minutes ago
Loan Me Thread V. 6 3665 3 minutes ago
Laura Kinsale 12 4 minutes ago
Looking for h's with memory loss 43 5 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Women's Fiction forum
Participants:  72
Total posts:  84
Initial post:  Jul 1, 2009
Latest post:  May 20, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 18 customers

Search Customer Discussions