Customer Discussions > Women's Fiction forum

Recommendations please

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 68 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 8, 2008 10:01:12 AM PDT
Tiffany Orr says:
I am a country girl and I'm looking for chick lit about girls like me. I know theyre is an abundance of tawdry romances about cowgirls and farmers but what about chick lit??? I live in the south and I ride horses and love country music, farms, pick up trucks and all things country. Any help would be greatly aprreciated. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2008 8:52:43 PM PDT
RachelMW says:
I just read a great book called Girls In Trucks by Sarah Crouch. May be what you're looking for, it starts in Alabama with a debutant-in-training with her friends. She goes off to NY, her friends and sister go elsewhere...all come back.. and some fun/interesting things happen. And the writing is good.

Look this one up.
ALSO--Joshilyn Jackson's books: Gods in Alabama, and The Girl Who Wouldn't Stop Swimming.
And a REAL find, Eating the Cheshire Cat by Hellen Ellis. Take place at U. of Alabama. It may be close to out-of-print, but it's worth looking for.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2008 10:34:33 AM PDT
I seem to remember reading the first few chapters of one of my mother's books "Hissy Fit." It was pretty funny. Harper Lee's "To Kill a Mockingbird" is a classic, of course. And then there's always the "Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood."

Those are just the ones I could think of off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are lots more.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2009 12:04:15 PM PST
I love Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood. It's also a great woman's slumber party movie. And there is s young woman in the movie, but mostly older women.

You say girl, but you could be forty? I don't know.

A Breath Floats By is lady lit, the women are all in peri-menopause. The setting is all country at an obscure lake, nothing grand. There are auctions, antiques, some side trips to Canada, one Native American gathering, pickups, Newfoundland dogs, pet skunks.... very country.

Essa a.k.a. Thayne Hudson
see profile to find the book easier

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2009 11:42:03 AM PST
Avid Reader says:
Definately you have to get SHELTER ME by Juliette Fay. You'll laugh, cry and reflect on your life. Doesn't matter where you live -- it will be guaranteed to make you chuckle, even through the sad parts!

Posted on Feb 27, 2009 10:44:30 PM PST
"The Travels of Annie T. Hastings" is told in journal form from Annie's pov, and the story is filled with a host of off-beat and often funny women characters. But beware, Annie is seventy and she sometimes satirizes a culture that bows to the young and ignores the old.

Posted on Mar 12, 2009 11:28:49 AM PDT
bridgeplayer says:
I'd recommend Plain Truth by Jodi Piccoult - a murder mystery on an Amish farm - very interesting read

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2009 2:40:40 AM PDT
Jess Bender says:
Looks like folks took your request and veered right off the road. If you're looking for chick lit that wears cowboy boots instead of Manolos, looks like you want anything written by Dixie Cash or LuAnn McLane.

Posted on Mar 31, 2009 11:22:03 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 8, 2011 10:27:40 AM PDT]

Posted on Apr 7, 2009 7:48:10 PM PDT
Lily Sams says:
Vino in Vo.
It follows three women building a friendship together as their husband's are in Iraq. Perry's the country girl who has the craziest farm stories. The women all change each other for the better, but I love how Perry's warmth and simplicity tackles life's difficulities.

Posted on Apr 20, 2009 3:30:31 PM PDT
Jane Porters books:
The Frog Prince
Flirting with 40 (made into a Lifetime TV movie)
Odd Mom Out
Mrs. Perfect
Easy on the Eyes which will be released in July '09

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2009 5:03:14 PM PDT
A reader says:
Loved Hissy Fit. Mary Kay Andrews is one of my favorite authors and all of her books are humorous and good. Most take place in Savannah.

Posted on Apr 28, 2009 1:14:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 28, 2009 1:18:33 PM PDT
Book Lady says:
Not sure what age groups you all are but there is a very funny series that has all ages of women the first book takes a little time to get in to but once your in you will want to read the others in the series and I believe they are coming out with book 4 in Aug -- The Potluck Club By Linda Evans Shepard & Eva Marie Everson. Catherine Coulter,Nora Roberts and Iris Johansen all have "romance series" that deal with all kinds of locations any of their books are good and Sophie Kinsella has "chick books" Can You Keep A Secret is one of my favorites you will just need to get used to the English slang and humor her books are fun and of course she has the whole Shopaholic Series.

Ok well if anyone ends up reading any of these let me know I love to discuss books

Thanks Tammy

Posted on Apr 29, 2009 8:00:44 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Oct 26, 2010 1:25:07 PM PDT]

Posted on May 11, 2009 5:52:19 PM PDT
Katy-Did says:
A quick beach read is Bunko Babes Tell All - about a group of bunko babes in North Florida. It's a chick-lit / romance. A second book is coming soon.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2009 4:14:27 PM PDT
I was going to recommend these two books....but the author (Cathy Holton) got there ahead of me. Really fun reading about Southern women and their love lives: REVENGE OF THE KUDZU DEBUTANTES and SECRET LIVES OF THE KUDZU DEBUTANTES.

Also very Southern, this time Texas, are some books by Linda Francis Lee: THE EX-DEBUTANTE and the sequel (whose name I've forgotten). Not exactly country but lots of Southern flavor.

At least a few of Sandra Brown's books feature Southern/country settings and all are good reads.

The Andrews books about Savannah are fun but they are more about oddballs and the romance than about specific Southern pov.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2009 4:18:54 PM PDT
I was going to recommend these two books....but the author (Cathy Holton) got there ahead of me. Really fun reading about Southern women and their love lives: REVENGE OF THE KUDZU DEBUTANTES and SECRET LIVES OF THE KUDZU DEBUTANTES.

Also very Southern, this time Texas, are some books by Linda Francis Lee: THE EX-DEBUTANTE and the sequel (whose name I've forgotten). Not exactly country but lots of Southern flavor.

At least a few of Sandra Brown's books feature Southern/country settings and all are good reads.

The Andrews books about Savannah are fun but they are more about oddballs and the romance than about specific Southern pov.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2009 4:19:16 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2009 3:31:34 PM PDT
L. Smith says:
Tiffany, Susan Wiggs is awesome.

Posted on May 24, 2009 10:03:07 PM PDT
Thomma Lyn says:
I'm a Southern author, and the characters in my debut novel, MIRROR BLUE (available here on Amazon), are East Tennesseeans. The story takes place in Knoxville, TN and in the adjoining rural community of Solway. And Aphra and Isaac, my heroine and hero, ride Harley-Davidsons. :) They're both strong, independent free spirits.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2009 10:58:18 AM PDT
Ferdy says:
I really enjoy Josilyn Jackson and Haywood Smith's books - they're more about southern country girls but both are great story tellers. I especially liked Gods in Alabama, Between Georgia, and Queen Bee of Mimosa Branch.

Posted on May 28, 2009 1:59:56 PM PDT
Jo Moore says:
Thanks, everyone, for your kind comments. I thought I'd just briefly post a description of each of my titles. Strong women portrayed as main characters.
(To read excerpts from all four titles, please visit my fiction website: http://jomoorefiction.home.att.net... And to view our Bronze Sculpture website, please visit: http://janandjo.moore.home.att.net ) Thanks, Jo Moore

ADOBE DREAMS by Jo Moore Adobe Dreams
Set in the majestic shadow of Taos Mountain, ADOBE DREAMS is the politically charged tale that explores the validity of war, the destruction of our planet, and the omnipotence of love. A story about the coming of age in the aftermath of the Vietnam War. Fiction/Novel/Literary
"ADOBE DREAMS DRAWS A STRAIGHT LINE BETWEEN THE GULF OF TONKIN AND TAOS, NM---Domestic Collateral Damages Caused by War-The most significant underlying metaphor that this novel addresses is the issue of unnecessary domestic collateral damages that wars create stateside. Namely, domestic carnage to families who lose loved ones, who will be forever waiting for their loved ones to return; loved ones who never return from war, or if they do, they are forever changed. A reality check. Not just soldiers die in war. In ADOBE DREAMS, a mother becomes lost and irretrievable after the loss of her loved one in the Vietnam War. With a son to raise as a single parent, Ann Lindstrom never recovers. These are the numbers that are never counted among the victims of war. But they are just as significant. My intention was to write a serious story that brings awareness and compassion to their plight---to draw a straight line between the Gulf of Tonkin and Taos, NM."

THE ANGLO by Jo Moore The Anglo
The stirring story of loss and renewal, deeply rooted in the windswept landscape of the High Desert Mesa of Northern New Mexico. A random act of violence comes to have rippling effects on a family and a community. Fiction/Novel/Literary
"When I set out to write THE ANGLO, my intention was to create a story of the effects of random injustice. The two dominant characters, who are certainly flawed, but certainly not depraved, and whose only real sin was that they loved each other (too much), become witnesses---witnesses to events that would change their lives forever. Events from which it would be impossible to recover. But in the end, when the circle is complete, redemption is inevitable."

TURQUOISE AND OBSIDIAN by Jo Moore
TURQUOISE AND OBSIDIAN: 14 STORIES
From the author of ADOBE DREAMS and THE ANGLO, a short story collection from and of the Southwest. Fourteen stories, homegrown and handspun, in the fragile ecology of the desert mountains of the great Southwest. Fiction/Short Stories/Literary
"I wrote these stories over the span of thirty years---living on the land, in the mountains, with the Old Timer homesteaders as my mentors and guides. They taught me how to garden, how to raise bees, what to feed my horse, how to peel a viga, and how to live in silence. They showed me by example what was important, and what was not. They are all gone now, and I am nearly one of the next generation of Old Timers here in the mountains. They bequeathed to me their legacy of respect for our Mother Earth and the clear blue skies above."

OTHER OBSESSIONS by Jo Moore
OTHER OBSESSIONS
Not the usual stories, not the usual storyteller, OTHER OBSESSIONS is a collection of 21 stories rife with characters caught in the vortex of human obsession. From the author of ADOBE DREAMS, THE ANGLO and TURQUOISE AND OBSIDIAN. Literary fiction, Short Stories
"Everybody's got an agenda. And the characters in OTHER OBSESSIONS surely do. My intention was to explore the strange and bizarre internal thought patterns that come to possess us as human beings. No matter where we live, no matter our socio-economic status, human nature lends itself to obsession."

Posted on Jul 4, 2009 3:47:09 PM PDT
Hey girls, if you fancy a really good read, romantic, colourful, a wee bit different and really quite sexy i would recommend Raymond Walker's books, all of which contain a little bit of romance, fantasy and a modicom of sex, which i really enjoyed. No wonder women like Scottish men.

Posted on Jul 17, 2009 7:13:39 AM PDT
Hmm, it's not country, but I'm experimenting with Kindle publishing and instead of a book, I'm doing a fiction serial called Twenty-Somewhere. I think of it as Sex and the City-meets-Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.

Episodes 1-4 here: Twenty-Somewhere
Episodes 5-8 here: Twenty-Somewhere (Episodes 5-8)

New episodes written weekly.

Kristan Hoffman
(visit me on the web at kristanhoffman.com!)

Posted on Jan 18, 2010 2:04:19 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 18, 2010 2:07:27 PM PST
Heidi Willis says:
Some Kind of Normal by Heidi Willis is a southern fiction book - labeled more women's fiction than chick lit I think - but fast paced and both humorous and tear jerking. The narrator is definitely a country girl!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Women's Fiction forum (41 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Women's Fiction forum
Participants:  58
Total posts:  68
Initial post:  Apr 8, 2008
Latest post:  May 20, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions