Customer Discussions > Woodworking forum

Powermatic or Delta table saw?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 29 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 20, 2009 11:57:14 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 23, 2009 10:03:46 AM PST]

Posted on Feb 21, 2009 11:37:56 AM PST
J. Roarick says:
I have a Powermatic 66 and I chose it for two reasons, the left tilt of the blade - no longer a condition as the newer Deltas tilt left or right - and the Powermatic had a beefier trunnion assembly. That being said either saw would probably outlast me and the differences almost boil down to a religious argument between Delta owners and Powermatic owners. I've had my saw for about 10 years in a small cabinet shop environment and my heirs will continue to enjoy using this saw. One difference between the saw I have and the one at which you're looking, is the fence. Mine came with a Biesemeyer fence and I'm not sure what the 'Accufence' is. Since Biesemeyer is now owned by Delta, Delta would probably include a Biesemeyer fence with their saw whereas for the Powermatic, you'd have to get one as an aftermarket unit. You can't beat a Biesemeyer fence.

Powermatic now has a newer, less expensive saw, the PM2000. I haven't seen one but if it's less expensive it's not not going to be a heavier duty unit. If you can afford it and can find one I'd still go with the PM 66.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2009 12:06:39 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 23, 2009 10:04:15 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2009 12:27:01 PM PST
J. Roarick says:
Sorry about the misdirection on the PM2000 price. I thought I'd seen an ad containing both and the PM2000 had come in a little cheaper. Oops!

The $2000 price is not bad. I paid $1700 or so many years ago when I bought my PM66. Make sure you check around on the web for all pricing and, not to shoot Amazon down, but you might check around your local area for small cabinet shops - unfortunately - going out of business. Unless it's really a heavy commercial environment, the PM66 wears well. I bought my PM jointer and PM shaper from small cabinet shops going away.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2009 12:36:31 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 23, 2009 10:05:01 AM PST]

Posted on Feb 21, 2009 3:48:39 PM PST
Buy the Powermatic. I worked for 9+ years in a major high end kitchen cabinet plant (average cost in the 70's was in the $10,000 range). Guys would wait to use the 66 instead of the Deltas because they are so much easier to adjust & smoother acting. I can stand a nickel on my machine (bought on Amazon 2-3 years ago) while cutting & it does not fall!!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2009 7:04:47 PM PST
Blah says:
Thanks JERK OF ALL TRADES, I appreciate your input. Great name by the way!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2009 7:07:36 AM PST
nickro says:
you might consider the Grizzly G1023SL at just over $1,000. it is a good saw that will do all you need. I have not tryed it but those who own one that I have talked to are very satisfied.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2009 10:07:44 AM PST
Blah says:
Thank for your input nickro. Actually though by the time you step up to a 50" fence a table like the delta and the powermatic, it goes up to a little over $1500. I think I'd rather spend the extra $500 and buy something made in the USA.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2009 5:27:10 AM PST
J. H. Newton says:
Both the Delta and the Powermatic are now manufactured in China, as is Jet, Grizzly, Steel City, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2009 7:41:10 AM PST
J. Roarick says:
I'm not sure about that. Powermatic has a 'homeowner' line which is manufactured in China but my 66 was made in Tennesee and the Delta Unisaws were also made in this country. It may be different now, but I'd check before I'd believe such a statement. Jet, Grizzly, etc are, of course made in China.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2009 3:27:54 PM PST
Blah says:
To the best of my knowledge the model 66 is made in the US. The PM2000 is an import. Maybe you could provide a link to where you got this information?

Posted on Mar 9, 2009 2:15:05 PM PDT
N. Blaisdell says:
I would not buy a delta or powermatic tablesaw. Sawstop makes a safer and extremely well made and designed tablesaw that out performs any other saw. Even without the extra safety feature the quality machining and well thought out design chews and spits out delta and powermatic. how much are you fingers worth?

Posted on Mar 12, 2009 11:19:10 AM PDT
Blah says:
OK, so I ended up buying the Powermatic 66. Thanks to all who posted. This saw is made in the USA, it has a sticker right on the front.

N. Blaisdale> Thank you for your concern about safety, I appreciate it. I just couldn't see spending the extra $1000 or more for the Sawstop.

Posted on Jan 11, 2010 7:11:25 AM PST
Wish I had bought either one, went with the "high-end" Ridgid two years ago. Model is not on market any more. After going through some tough guy interactions with their prodoct engineer in Ca, I ended up having to have the fence bolster machined by a friend of mine so that it would not stand proud of the plane of the saw surface, that caused kick back every time the stock dropped from the bolster to the surface of the saw. Manufacturer said it was my fault, but machinist declared it bad design considerations. Not a bad saw, just probably rushed to production with too much concern for "shareholder value" and not enough concern for the end user. The best example of that statement is that they do not manufacture a throat insert for dado blades. The Product development guy was defensive and a bully, kept offering to fly to where I was to show me how to use the saw. I Like Delta, and love Powermatic. Check out the SawStop product too, it looks like a fantastic and much safer tool.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2010 6:43:58 PM PST
Bai Po says:
That's just inexcusable! That should have been evident to the engineer or at least to the manufacturing staff. Sounds like they never used a saw, 'but it looks sweet on a CAD design!".

Call them back and ask them to come by and remove the piece of stock out of your chest and see how fast they move.

Bai Po

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2010 8:52:09 AM PDT
If you have to worry about your fingers go back to highschool shop class and learn safety rules about clearances and procedures over again. Delta for the money,is a good buy.

Posted on Nov 22, 2010 7:48:11 PM PST
Have used a Delta Unisaw for over 44 years. If I were going to buy another saw I would get another unisaw. I have never had any problems with my Unisaw. I would expect it to last far into my grandkids life with little maintaince. The Powermatic and Sawstop are also both great saws.
dm

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2010 12:57:27 PM PST
Folks over the last 10 years I have tested a few expensive saws that my friends have purchased. Funny thing is I cant find one that outperforms my $500 saw unless I need to rip 12/4 stock. This is the old 3-670.. yep the Delta from Home Depot back in the 80's. Yes I know this saw was intended for job site cuts that were not all that accurate.
Well team I have made this saw into a cabinate saw for much much less than you can imagine.

I started with a mobile base from Rockler. The one where you add your own hardwood. Then imagine extention tables using 1" rare earth magnites. 4' on each side. Bit aof welding needed for support, but easy. Then add the bit that REALLY makes any table saw. The fence. I choose the Incra Ultra jig 27" with the table saw fence.

I also have the Incra 3000 for angle cuts. Friends I have built lots of Arts and Crafts furnitue with this beast, and have never had a bad cut due to the tools. I buy really good Feud blades and I have blade stablizers. Now I must admit to making a few mistakes on my own.... But this $700 total my cost saw and fence can not be beat by a $3000 saw.

So for all l you folks who have spent 4000-5000 for a saw and whatever.... LOL
To hear more ping me rickfulton@cox.net

Posted on Dec 28, 2010 5:26:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2010 5:29:51 PM PST
I agree with Gregory W. Ahrens,go back to school. I`ve never cut my fingers from a table saw, use push blocks, keep blade low 1/4 above your stock. I laugh everytime someone has the blade all the way up & 1 1/2 inches between the fence and blade , or more . But if you got the money to pay that much ,who am i to say other wise ...
By the way i own a Delta with a Biesemeyer fence,and i`d buy it again.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2011 6:28:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 25, 2011 6:31:17 PM PST
DJA says:
Yeah, because accidents only happen to people who don't know better. There are countless woodworkers out there who know how to be safe, but they can no longer count to 10 with two hands - because accidents happen even when you're careful. Obviously some people think they are immune to mistakes.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2011 6:31:35 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 2, 2011 6:34:01 PM PST
Dirk Faegre says:
Trouble is, if you've had a Unisaw for 44 years and you go to buy a new Unisaw .... you ain't gettin the same saw, not even close.
Note: My dad had a reasonably inexpensive Sears Craftsman table saw he bought new in 1950. It built 3 homes and a large raft of other stuff. It still runs well and continues to do the jobs well.

Posted on Mar 2, 2011 7:02:35 PM PST
I have used a 50 inch Delta Unisaw for over 44 years in a production shop. Sometimes standing in line to use it. So it got a lot of use. Never was down an hour. Never got out of adjustment. I am sure that other saws are just as good or maybe better in different ways. But I know that the Unisaw is a dependable piece of equipment.

Posted on Mar 2, 2011 7:17:23 PM PST
As a shop foreman in a production shop I refuse to have a Craftsman product in my shop. They are simply not made for a production shop. I have had excelent results with Porter Cable routers and cordless drills

Posted on Mar 3, 2011 7:39:50 AM PST
Its me says:
I have a older craftsman 10 inch cast iron saw with a 3 hp motor that I bought years ago for 80 bucks. I built my own base out of wood, a large and solid one. I recently added the INCRA fence system with the wonder-fence add-ons. The left side of the saw has a 27 x 24 inch router table extension that I built, with a Jessem precision lift, the right side extension is a 27 x 32 inch extension with a cut-out for a router insert as well. I built 4 - 3/4 x 7 inch x 6 foot long trusses that hang under the INCRA rails and support a 6 inch infeed extension (outside of the INCRA rails which gives an additional 4 inches to yield a total of 10 inch infeed extension) and a little over 3 feet of outfeed extension. Both extensions cover the entire 72 inches of width. These extensions are supported by adjustable diagonal braces that run from under the side extensions down to the legs of the tablesaw stand. This makes the entire assembly intrinsically rigid that is supported on only four adjustable legs. The unit is rock solid with very little vibration. The entire unit, saw included, with the INCRA fence system, the wonderfence add-ons, the 3000 miter slide from INCRA a new Makita router, the lift, and the materials including dust collection accessories cost a little over 1100 dollars. I have a 6 foot by 6 foot work area, a saw that cuts perfectly with repeatable accuracy within 0.001 inch along with the router table that has the same accuracy. Plus, I built it myself with the quality fitting of a wood-working shop. Even if you have (and I may buy one in the future) a high dollar saw, the INCRA fence is a must have. I can make perfect cuts without pulling out a ruler, cut perfect box joints without measuring, and the fence is square every time. The same is true for the router as I use the same fence with the added wonder-fence additions. True, it is a home workshop and not a fabrication shop, yet the INCRA system has made the quality of my work along with the unbelievable time savings, infinite levels higher.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Woodworking forum (42 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Woodworking forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  29
Initial post:  Feb 20, 2009
Latest post:  Sep 10, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions