Customer Discussions > Xbox 360 forum

Is it worth upgrading from white jasper system to the new "S" system?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 49 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 25, 2011 11:35:46 AM PST
Dukeshire says:
I can get the 250g for 199, so tempted, but not sure if it is worth upgrading. I could sell it I guess.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2011 3:16:29 PM PST
WolfPup says:
I did, and justified it by kind of wanting a larger drive (I was still using my original 20GB drive).

Gamestop will give you something for the Jasper, and if you don't already have the games, they're worth something too (and actually games I'd want).

Otherwise...well, maybe we'll get a 32nm version of the Xbox...or maybe the Xbox 3 will actually have backwards compatibility.

Not sure if Jasper has any problems or not. I used mine a year after my Falcon died, and I haven't really heard of Jasper or Valhalla issues.

Posted on Nov 25, 2011 3:17:42 PM PST
WolfPup says:
I should add that in terms of noise, I don't notice a real difference. They're both crazy loud running games from the disc, and reasonable when installed. (Installing Halo 3 right now...no way am I playing it from disc, even if that does mean it's "double cached" to the hard drive)
Your reply to WolfPup's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2011 4:59:21 PM PST
Dukeshire says:
I decided against upgrading. I do love the wireless etc. I could also get most of the money back after selling on Half or Amazon. But why spend 200 plus tax, pay nearly 20 to transfer. Hassle in selling the stuff...Not really worth it if I have a Jasper that has a year left in warranty and if it dies after, I bet there will be price cuts etc. And in two years the new gen....

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 8:20:55 AM PST
H. Amireh says:
The Xbox360 slim is way quieter than the jasper, and way way WAY quieter than the white xbox 360

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2011 8:26:32 AM PST
H. Amireh says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2011 9:29:46 AM PST
WolfPup says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2011 9:50:11 AM PST
H. Amireh says:
Its still more efficient and the fans are better, plus it dosent get the red ring of death unlike every other Xbox 360.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2011 10:11:30 AM PST
Dukeshire says:
The core system is only 199 and it can be found used, and I am sure within a year the price will be cut. HD's are not overly expensive.

Also, mine runs quiet and is cool to the touch. My white one is a Jasper where the RRoD has been mitigated. If it breaks, I send it to Microsoft for free (1 year left). Besides I do not want to go off of it maybe breaking after two years. That is some shoddy workmanship.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2011 10:21:22 AM PST
H. Amireh says:
Well, i guess its good that you got it warranted.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2011 10:29:35 AM PST
WolfPup says:
Jaspers haven't had widespread problems.

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 10:33:08 AM PST
Nick hayer says:
Well i got the falcon chipset which was the first new chipset they put in xbox 4 years ago in november. The xbox has had no issues whatsoever other than dust at which point i recently took it apart and vaccumed the clumps of dust out. Mine runs fine and i've thought about getting the new slim but whats the point if you already has something that works and new consoles are on the horizon, think of all the dissappointed people who bought an original xbox brand new and the xbox 360 came out the following year, and tell me did they announce the 360 one year prior to release...OH HELL NO. Wii U will be released next year and microsoft has stated they are trying to make an updated 360 for release next year which will have an updated OS based off of windows 8.Playstation said they are pushing to release a new console as soon as they can...

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 10:46:45 AM PST
Dukeshire says:
I just could not justify 220 dollars and 15 more for a transfer kit (tax on the former) for something that already works. I have heard very little negative things about the Jaspers. And all Xbox's have 3 year warranties....At least they used to.

Instead: I got some PSN games, XBLA Black Friday Deals and 3 games for under 30 bucks: Vanquish, Mafia II Greatest Hits and Splatterhouse. All supposedly solid. Now when will I play them. Only game I want now is SR3 and I am saving up for that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2011 11:07:16 AM PST
WolfPup says:
I had a Falcon that died after a couple of years. Seems like Falcons were more reliable than the first ones, but still died sooner or later :-/

I haven't been hearing of problems with Jasper though. I actually bought a transfer kit, but didn't use it...just moved my saves and stuff with a USB drive.

And I don't notice noise differences...Valhalla is still crazy loud from disc, and good enough from hard drive. So really I just think if you want a larger drive, you'll probably want Valhalla, as who wants to invest in a dead drive format? I only had a 20GB, so it mattered, but if I had a larger one I couldn't justify it...although the great bundled games help!

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 11:12:55 AM PST
Dukeshire says:
I just get irked with MS for changing the Hard Drive format. I know you can rig your old one but it is a hassle. Why not make everything compatible. Oh....Money. Also, built in Wi-Fi should have been integrated years ago. But MS is now making a killing on the new HD's etc. I will wait until this one is dead and buried. Hell, if my NES and SNES can work 20 years later or my 5200 nearly 30 then my 360 can last 2-3 more years.

For the new generation Backwards Compatibility is a must unless they think they can still squeeze life out of the PS3 and 360. Then again I could see some limited BC and then sell them over Live or PSN.....A way to make more money.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2011 11:22:49 AM PST
WolfPup says:
I sure hope all the new systems have full backwards compatibility (including Xbox 1, PS1/2 stuff!) but I'm not very confident in these companies :(

I initially thought the new Xboxes used normal hard drives...soooo disappointed when I found out they were STILL using proprietary ones!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2011 12:34:16 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2011 12:35:32 PM PST
H. Amireh says:
Still. Microsoft said that the earliest they'll release it is 2013, meaning its probably either mid-late 2013, or 2014. Im not waiting 2-3 years for a new xbox to release, ill just buy a new xbox 360 now and when the new one comes out ill get that one too. It probably isn't coming out anytime soon anyway. Also, when they do release a new Xbox, IT BETTER HAVE BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY for ALL previous xbox games(xbox 360, and original xbox). Well anyways, i guess if you have 200 bucks to spare, and can make around another 200 bucks between 2-3 years, you should buy a new xbox(if you don't already have one). But if you wont be able to make around 200 buck in 2-3 years(and i feel sorry for you if you cant), then just wait until a new Xbox comes out, but mark my words, you'll have a long wait. Even if you cant make 200 buck in 2-3 years, ill still say buy an xbox now because when a new one comes out you can always sell your xbox and games to make money

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2011 5:11:17 AM PST
If nothing is wrong with the Jasper, then don't upgrade...

Posted on Dec 2, 2011 6:14:30 PM PST
H. Amireh says:
As to how quiet the valhalla is, i can tell you its obviously the quiestest xbox360 yet. I dont own the xbox360 elite, so i cant say how much more quiet the slim is, but i do own the white xbox 360 and i can tell you right now that the slim is WAAAAAAAAAY quieter then the white xbox 360. While the white xbox360 sounds like a jet engine, the xbox 360 slim is almost soundless. @Wolfpup, you really are bashing the xbox360 slim when you say "it's still horrifically, unusably loud when running from disc". Trust me, i have the slim, it is infinitely times quieter than the first xbox360, and its still super quiet in general. What do you expect it to make absolutely no sound at all while running? come on now, lets be a little more realistic. The xbox 360 slim is about as quiet to "no noise at all" as a electronic of that size can get. Its only "horrifically loud", if perhaps you press your ear right up against the xbox. Otherwise, if you sitting a few feet away from your xbox(as all normal people should), YOU WILL HEAR LITTLE TO NO NOISE, EVEN WHEN PLAYING FROM THE DISC. So to sum up, your either 1. bashing the game system, or 2. sitting extremly close to your xbox and trying to hear it with every other noise turned off.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2011 6:22:19 PM PST
WolfPup says:
<<<H. Amireh says:
As to how quiet the valhalla is, i can tell you its obviously the quiestest xbox360 yet. I dont own the xbox360 elite, so i cant say how much more quiet the slim is, but i do own the white xbox 360 and i can tell you right now that the slim is WAAAAAAAAAY quieter then the white xbox 360.>>>

And I've owned six Xboxes so far, and all of them sound nearly identical.

<<<While the white xbox360 sounds like a jet engine, the xbox 360 slim is almost soundless.>>>

It's not even "almost soundless" when running from the hard drive, let alone the optical drive.

<<<@Wolfpup, you really are bashing the xbox360 slim when you say "it's still horrifically, unusably loud when running from disc". Trust me, i have the slim, it is infinitely times quieter than the first xbox360, and its still super quiet in general.>>>

I'm not "bashing" anything, I'm saying how it is.

<<<Otherwise, if you sitting a few feet away from your xbox(as all normal people should), YOU WILL HEAR LITTLE TO NO NOISE, EVEN WHEN PLAYING FROM THE DISC. So to sum up, your either 1. bashing the game system, or 2. sitting extremly close to your xbox and trying to hear it with every other noise turned off. >>>

Yikes. This is horrifically off base. I'd assume you have severe hearing loss, or shortly will for how loud you'd have to have the volume up.

My Valhalla is running right now from the HARD DRIVE, and I can easily hear it over my notebook and the audio from the TV. It's easily over twice as loud operating from DVD.

If you can't hear it, just check out Anandtech's measurements of it. It dropped a whopping 3db between Jasper and Valhalla.

Also, the color of the system is irrelevant. The original, Falcon, and Jasper all shipped in both white and black versions.

Posted on Dec 2, 2011 6:27:28 PM PST
Dukeshire says:
My white Jasper is quiet when running from the HD. I play Skyrim that way, the only game I do so, and I barely hear the Xbox. But it is loud loading up and does get loud on other games I play from the disc.

Ultimately my decision stemmed from: Why buy something when what I have works? Sure, if it breaks I will be a sad bear, but I have a year left on the 3 year warranty. But it is only two years old.....Two. It better last.

Posted on Dec 2, 2011 9:32:50 PM PST
1.) New s is smaller ... not big deal but also has better venting ect , so less worries about placement
2.) New s has built in wifi, and kinect hole, also more usb slots , and a nice audio hookup for surround sound solutions
3.) New s is far quieter than original white ... far better especially when compared to my old white vacuum
--- Try looking for ppl running it on youtube ect although some of them sound broken ... not sure what ppl do to make it sound like an old laptop when reading disks... if yours is loud you have a problem unit and should probs get it fixed in warranty... seriously not loud at all

PS.) all ppl talking about rrod and warranty .... Microsoft will fix any rrod for free w/ or w/o warranty ... i had a white original (think it was the pro version) rrod after 5 years and found this out. They will send a refurbished and 3 month gold card after you send yours in. You can probs find the statement online , some executive at microsoft declared they would fix any rrod free no matter what ( probably to get ppl back who were being scared into sony arms)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2011 10:06:34 PM PST
WolfPup says:
<<<Petros G. Kioussis says:
1.) New s is smaller ... not big deal but also has better venting ect , so less worries about placement>>>

It's not much different in size, and I actually prefer how the old one looks.

<<<2.) New s has built in wifi, and kinect hole, also more usb slots , and a nice audio hookup for surround sound solutions>>>

At worst that would mean you need a USB hub on the old design, but I never ran out of ports. It handled the same audio outputs too.

<<<3.) New s is far quieter than original white ... far better especially when compared to my old white vacuum>>>

No it isn't. Anandtech tests it as a whopping 3db quieter. It's barely, if at all, noticeable. Both are horrendously loud running from optical disc, and solid running from the hard drive.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2011 7:54:31 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2011 7:55:49 AM PST
H. Amireh says:
Its still quieter without needing to get all technical about it. Youve got to face the facts. Who cares about your technical terms anyways?? Probably half the people who read your post wont get what '3db' means anyways. The fact is, the slim is quieter, you cant run away from the facts. And why would you prefer how the old one looks??? The new one is sleeker, slim-er, and has better venting like Petros said

Posted on Dec 3, 2011 8:23:33 AM PST
E. Suarez says:
I think its plenty quiet... I mean its hard to tell when you have your sound system full blast with music.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Xbox 360 forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  49
Initial post:  Nov 25, 2011
Latest post:  Jan 20, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions