Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Xbox 360 forum

OT: Advice on keeping my TVs screens clean & clear?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 16, 2011 11:37:28 AM PST
Finger says:
I know this is not the specific forum for this problem, but everywhere else I've tried gets me either silly answers or solutions that are far too involved... I figured some fellow gamers might help me out.

I have 2 TV's, a plasma and an LCD. They both tend to get really dirty from my sons fingerprints, throwing things around when I'm not looking, etc. Everything I've tried so far either doesn't work well or leaves a very visible residue and streaks. Any advice on something simple which will work on both sets?

Thanks for any help!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2011 7:45:41 AM PST
They make special wipes you can use, or I just use rubbing alcohol on cotton balls or other non abrasive type of cloth to clean my lcd's works great and it evaporates fast so you don't have to wait for any drying.

Posted on Dec 17, 2011 11:21:18 PM PST
Finger says:
Thank You, I'll try that.

I've tried the pre-moistened wipes, but they dry out so fast it takes me around 7 of them to clean my entire screen. I also tried a little "cleaning kit" with a tiny bottle of cleanser and a soft wipe... it didn't do anything but make the screens wet and smear streaks all over.

I never thought of simple rubbing alcohol and cotton balls! Thanks again

Posted on Dec 17, 2011 11:32:27 PM PST
Anthony says:
i just use a HDTV cleaning spray and either some paper towels or toilet paper to wipe it off and i don't have any problems. just make sure the spray you get is safe to use on LCD screens as well.

Posted on Jan 6, 2012 1:57:08 AM PST
Pick 34 says:
I use monster screen cleaner. It doesn't streak at all.

Posted on Jan 6, 2012 2:54:51 AM PST
DrawTheLine says:
Just be careful what cleaner you use. Some can unknowingly cause damage to your screen. Like Anthony said above, check abd make sure the cleaner you purchase is safe to use on your tv screens.

Posted on Jan 6, 2012 7:50:17 AM PST
WildOat says:
I and most people use a little warm water and a very good micro cloth. One does not need chemicals to clean dust, tar or any other harmful agents to that sensitive screen. Monoprice.com sells a screen clean solution. It works and is inexpensive. Just make sure the screen cools down before application because of evaporation, which the heat will dry the solution and you'll end up having to clean that off too. Warm water and a microcloth works best. With a 60" screen it gets tiring.

Posted on Jan 14, 2012 5:10:38 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 14, 2012 5:11:04 PM PST
I like Monster Screen Cleaner. It does a good job of removing dust and dwarf prints.

Posted on Jan 14, 2012 7:16:28 PM PST
Jes says:
Compressed air for cleaning the back. Monster Screen Cleaner, or rubbing alcohol, for the screen. Works for T.V.s, consoles, and computers.

Pay close attention to the one poster that mentioned checking the product you use to ensure it is safe for LCD cleaning. You don't want to try some generic knock off and half way through the cleaning realize it turned your screen pink or ate the top layer. It happens. Be safe!

Posted on Jan 14, 2012 7:47:52 PM PST
Dummy says:
I use what ever butt wipes are on the roll in the bathroom and warm water. If its safe enough for my bung hole then I think the TV will be fine.

Posted on Jan 15, 2012 8:52:30 AM PST
Spudkitty says:
tar? O.o

Posted on Jan 16, 2012 10:28:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2012 11:04:38 AM PST
I taught mine not to touch the screen nor throw things. Works like a charm.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2012 10:40:44 AM PST
McAwesomeo says:
The alcohol can do serious damage to the screen of a LCD if it isn't watered down. If it's just dust, you can use a microfiber cloth to wipe it off. If you're getting junk on it, use a cleaner without alcohol or use (at most) a half and half mixture of water and alcohol.

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 1:11:23 PM PST
The GE screen cleaning foam has worked VERY well for me. It comes with a micro fiber cloth and is great for my LCD TV and my iMac screen without streaks, residue, or damage. I highly recommend it.

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 7:24:15 PM PST
Joseph Sayre says:
I've had a lot of success with Pledge for non shiny screens. I haven't tested it with shinies, but it usually leaves no streaks. Does a great cleaning job, AND resists dust. Actually works pretty good.

Those LCD wipes are just so people don't use cruddy paper towels and so they can scare people into buying wipes that "Won't harm your TV" That's a load. Its made of high quality plastic at worst, and glass at best. Just use a non abrasive cloth, or a very soft napkin or paper towel and you'll be fine. A little windex or alcohol, or god forbid, water works well.

Posted on Jan 19, 2012 11:39:45 AM PST
Him says:
I heard if you pee on the screen, that helps.

No, wait, that's a jellyfish sting. Nvm.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2012 9:57:49 AM PST
WolfPup says:
Not that this is necessarily safe, I have no idea, but I just use water on a cotton undershirt. Seems to clean stuff well with no streaking usually. Sprays and kits and stuff I've had issues with them leaving stuff behind.

Luckily I rarely clean my living room TV, and have never cleaned my bedroom one I've had since 2009. So far LCD seems like it doesn't collect stuff like CRTs did, probably because they don't have the same high energy stuff going on. I somehow get junk on my computer monitors though, and just occasionally use a clean undershirt with water (just did that this this morning actually).

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2012 12:00:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 4, 2012 12:01:27 PM PST
Don't touch them, ever, with anything. Ever. Nor let anyone else touch or breath on them. Get nice LCD cleaner. Not sure what to do for plasma though.

Oh your son touches them. I mean that's basically all I can say is to avoid touching them as much as possible - I touch my screens too sometimes and its not entirely avoidable.

Most specially purposed LCD cleaners come with a nice microfiber cloth as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2012 1:31:51 PM PST
WolfPup says:
Is there anything you could recommend as a cleaner? Everything I've tried has streaked except clean water on a cloth like soft undershirt or the like.

I actually keep MY TV covered up when not in use (although LCDs don't attract dust like CRTs did) but the living room TV is uncovered lol

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2012 1:06:56 PM PST
Finger says:
Thank You again everyone, for all of your advice. You've saved what little is left of my sanity. I did try a couple of the suggestions I received here.

The GE foam worked really well. I just didn't stick with it because I went through it kinda fast and it added up $.

I finally settled on Philips lcd/plasma screen cleaner. Comes in a small green bottle with microfiber cloth and costs about $9. Its inexpensive, it doesn't take much to clean even a large screen, and works fine. On the plasma I got my best results by giving the screen a quick once-over to remove most of the gunk, then a very light second run to really polish it up and prevent streaks. The streaks aren't such an issue with the LCD, so I usually just clean that once.

I found both items at Target and can recommend them both.

Posted on Mar 4, 2012 3:08:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 4, 2012 3:10:47 PM PST
OrangeCrush says:
Wow, pure rubbing alcohol....NOT a good idea. As others in here have already stated, use wipes or cleaning solutions specifically designed for LCD or Plasma displays. One can easily find them at any one of a hundred different stores. Monster Screen Cleaner is a good one but there are tons of different options out there now. If your willing to buy an HDTV that costs anywhere from 1-3k and are not willing to actually spend a few dollars more for proper supplies to take care of your set then your ultimately going to get what you deserve.....a damaged screen.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Xbox 360 forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Xbox 360 forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Dec 16, 2011
Latest post:  Mar 4, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions