Customer Discussions > Xbox 360 forum

Is it silly to buy an Xbox in 2012?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 121 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 4, 2012 7:20:08 PM PDT
Is it silly to buy a $300 Xbox in 2012? I've owned a PS3 for the past few years and I feel like playing some Xbox exclusives. If I buy a 360 in the coming months, will I regret it when they announce a new console?

Posted on Sep 4, 2012 8:01:37 PM PDT
Mallrat says:
I don't think so. You'll be able to get some great deals on older games. Alan Wake is a must... Gears, Halo... etc. I don't think I'd buy a next gen console at launch.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2012 8:13:58 PM PDT
Paper Tiger says:
Not silly at all if there are games you want to play but you could wait til the Nextboxt is out and get a really sweet deal on the 360!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2012 8:46:50 PM PDT
I bought a $200 brand new 250GB 360 with two games last November.

You might consider waiting and seeing what kinds of sales you can get come Black Friday; and by then, they may have announced whether the 720 will be backwards compatible.

Posted on Sep 5, 2012 5:42:46 AM PDT
Treyvalyn says:
I don't think it's silly or stupid. There are a TON of games to play and at cheap prices, between Amazon, Newegg, and Gamefly you can pick up on the cheap. I do agree though if you can wait I imagine there will be a number of great deals around Black Friday. As for waiting on the Next Gen, I've been burned to often buying first run next gen products. Too often they are overpriced, non-backwards compatible, and often have issues. Usually I wait a year now. Therfore, if you buy now you will have this machine at least a year or 2 before buying next gen. It's all about how bad you want to play now.

Posted on Sep 5, 2012 6:43:07 AM PDT
Wait till black friday retailers will be giving away 360's you will def be able to get a sweet bundle which will prob include Gears 3 or some other exclusive and a gift card.

Posted on Sep 5, 2012 9:39:41 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 5, 2012 9:43:55 AM PDT
We're new to game consoles.Our son&grandson r both experienced "gamers" on Wii & XBox. Will purchase XBox 360 shortly; any advice on bundles that include accessories(2 controllers), chargers, & "good" games; also, additional exercise "games" 4 Sr. citizens. Thx

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2012 10:22:07 AM PDT
"Will purchase XBox 360 shortly"

Have you considered getting a PS3, Wii U, or gaming PC instead? It's good to keep your options open because one console may cater to your tastes more than others.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2012 10:38:58 AM PDT
We're resesarching all options but understand XBox 360 graphics outshine the others. My husband will go for the games - me the exercises. Our son is researching for us also. Thx for the post.

Posted on Sep 5, 2012 10:57:13 AM PDT
May be a price job after Wii U price is announced.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2012 10:57:51 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 5, 2012 11:03:55 AM PDT
Paper Tiger says:
You will enjoy the Xbox 360 and it sounds like you in particular might like the Kinect but keep in mind that the graphics sometimes look better on the PS3 and vice versa and graphics will always be better on a PC.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2012 12:02:29 PM PDT
G-Money says:
@Virgibia - you may want to get an x-box with Kinect bundle (make sure you have enough space in the area in which the x-box/kinect is hooked up). You may want to wait until the black friday sales as the kinect has already had one price drop and I am sure they will try to unload as many as possible during the holiday season.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2012 12:39:58 PM PDT
Joel H. says:
Is your name really virgibia or did you murder the n on your keyboard??

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2012 12:49:42 PM PDT
Tried to correct by notifying Amazon ... finally gave up - should be Virginia

Posted on Sep 5, 2012 12:58:13 PM PDT
You can change it in your profile.

Posted on Sep 5, 2012 1:23:52 PM PDT
brian jay says:
Yea, like some of the others said, hold off just for a bit longer. wait for black friday or even into early 2013 if you can. there hasn't been a real concrete price cut on the 360 for a couple years now. It's bound to happen soon.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2012 5:14:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 5, 2012 6:56:25 PM PDT
"We're resesarching all options but understand XBox 360 graphics outshine the others."

Actually, this is not true. PS3 exclusives and PC titles both offer graphically superior games than ANYTHING on the 360, and I own all 3 so I'm not saying this out of fanboy devotion. Still though, graphics should not be your priority when choosing a game console. You should choose the platform that has the game library that will give you the most fun and bang for your buck, not necessarily which has the better looking games. There's also media playback, features, online functionality, user-interface, controllers, etc. to take into consideration. Me personally, I prefer the PS3 much more than either my 360, Wii, or PC.

"My husband will go for the games - me the exercises."

Sounds like Kinect is perfect for you. While it's not the best motion controller IMO, it's easily the one that gets you moving the most.

"Our son is researching for us also."

I see.

"Thx for the post."

No problem. ^_^

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2012 6:20:11 PM PDT
DouglasR says:
Do NOT buy a $300 Xbox in 2012! 360 exclusive games arent that great. Some Halo fans may disagree. There are far more PS3 exclusives, Xbox cant touch the # of exclusives PS3 has...I'm afraid you'd be disappointed.

If you get a 360, get it dirt cheap, used under $125. I'll be getting the 720 whenever it comes out, probably early 2014.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2012 6:46:09 PM PDT
"Do NOT buy a $300 Xbox in 2012!"

Why???

"360 exclusive games arent that great."

In YOUR opinion. Granted, I think PS3 exclusives are better, but that's all it is. A personal opinion.

" Some Halo fans may disagree. There are far more PS3 exclusives, Xbox cant touch the # of exclusives PS3 has"

Wrong. The 360 actually has the bigger library. Remember, the 360 was released a year earlier than the PS3.

"...I'm afraid you'd be disappointed."

You have NO EARTHLY IDEA whether this will be the case or not. =B

Posted on Sep 5, 2012 7:55:53 PM PDT
Unless you do a lot of research about the different models AND buy from a reputable dealer, do not try to purchase a used or refurbished 360. Old 360 models are notoriously unreliable, and only the models released in the last two or three years are really up to normal or better standards of electronics reliability.

Caveat: the newest models, released about two years ago (the 360S), actually looks different from the older models, and have been quite reliable thus far, and are probably comparable in reliability to other used electronics.

Posted on Sep 5, 2012 10:53:24 PM PDT
AndrewA says:
I agree with the others. 300 is too much for a 360 seven years in. Wait till black friday. There will be a great deal for 200 bucks or less somewhere.

As for 360 PS3 comparisons, most of them don't matter. The graphics differences are negligible. Some multi-plats play better on one than the other, and others do the reverse. If you want to play 360 exclusives then it'll be a worthy purchase, just not at that price this late in the cycle.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2012 11:30:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 5, 2012 11:31:39 PM PDT
DouglasR says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2012 11:50:17 PM PDT
DouglasR says:
@Christmas- You're right, I should have prefaced that if you do buy a used console, do some research 1st. I've had several friends that purchased used 360's 2-3 yrs ago, and never had problems.

If you're gonna wait for a Black Friday deal, why not just wait for an entire yr, when the 720 is rumored to be avail?

If you didnt have ANY console, I'd agree with a Black Friday deal, but you have a PS3 already. Unless you really want to play Kinect games, you're not missing out on anything.

Posted on Sep 5, 2012 11:50:20 PM PDT
Z. Boyer says:
Well if microsoft stops supporting the 360 when the next generation starts you may be disappointed (if I'm not wrong that's what happened to the xbox when the 360 came out)...it kinda seems like they're already gearing up to focus on the new.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2012 12:30:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 6, 2012 12:31:47 AM PDT
Avestus says:
Support for the original XBox ended in 2009. So you'd be mistaken.

Also support for many original 360 titles continues through the Xbox360 support structure.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Xbox 360 forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Xbox 360 forum
Participants:  47
Total posts:  121
Initial post:  Sep 4, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions