Customer Discussions > Xbox 360 forum

Can you have 2 game systems connected to the same TV?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 46 posts in this discussion
Posted on Feb 19, 2013 7:46:34 PM PST
Andrew Ward says:
As long as you have enough hdmi/HD composite ports, you can. Otherwise just get yourself a computer monitor with hdmi ports and you'll be fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 7:24:02 AM PST
WolfPup says:
Out of curiosity, why do you have 2 Xboxes hooked up to the same TV?

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 5:12:10 AM PST
yes you can
i have multiple hdmi ports
and have ps3 and 2 xbox 360's hooked up at the same time

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2013 5:33:12 AM PST
Hey cousin

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013 10:16:31 AM PST
WolfPup says:
Usually. They used to make switch boxes for composite and s-video...I have a Sony one that handled 4 devices. I've never seen one that handles composite, but I'd guess one exists.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2013 4:45:44 PM PST
is there a way where you can connect you wii and a dvd player on the same tv input. I only have 4 inputs on my tv and, I wanted to see if I can connect two different devices to the same tv input

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 11:35:12 PM PST
WolfPup says:
I guess it's possible the TV has a REALLY weird setup, but typically you just choose the input on the remote. Like usually there's an input button to cycle through all the inputs, and also a menu that lists all the inputs and lets you select one that way.

Should be able to turn on the Wii and cycle away until you see it.

Also, the Wii will look a little bit better with component cables instead of composite:

http://store.nintendo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=117711¤cy=USD&catalogId=10001&tranId=0&lastAction=setCurr&storeId=10001&languageId=-1&categoryId=63205&ddkey=http:SetCurrencyPreference

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 5:13:32 PM PST
J. Roddel says:
I have the cables to attach my xbox (through an HDMI cord) and my Wii through the three color cord, but my tv isn't hooked up to a satellite, cable box, or antenna. I've tried using the Wii, but my TV keeps asking me to scan for channels. Clearly, I can do it, but the TV isn't going to find any channels. The TV won't let me switch inputs without having a channel to look for. Any ideas?

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 5:13:00 PM PST
J. Roddel says:
I have the cables to attach my xbox (through an HDMI cord) and my Wii through the three color cord, but my tv isn't hooked up to a satellite, cable box, or antenna. I've tried using the Wii, but my TV keeps asking me to scan for channels. Clearly, I can do it, but the TV isn't going to find any channels. The TV won't let me switch inputs without having a channel to look for. Any ideas?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2012 4:28:17 AM PST
Sha Gojyo says:
>>>It happened after a Scott Pilgrim's Nintendo WiiU began attacking a PS720 (The combined efforts of Sony and Microsoft in an attempt to hold a monopoly).<<<

funny thing is, that there will never be a PS720, since M$ doesn't even want to use the same servers that PSN uses. thats why XBL players can't play with PSN players on COD together and all the other multi platform multiplayer games.

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 9:33:06 PM PST
R. J. Smith says:
If you've got a cable box or a DVD player, depending on the inputs available, it is possible to have a tier set up, so that turning on one device will override the video input on the next. That kind of technology is a bit outdated these days though, because so many TVs come with multiple inputs themselves... my TV has 8, ranging from HDMI to VGA to a DVI.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2012 8:25:55 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 6, 2012 9:17:52 PM PST
Gin says:
I... really didn't want to do this... but the truth is, I'm a time traveling element known as a KoolKhara. In the future our world has turned into a fascist country... It happened after a Scott Pilgrim's Nintendo WiiU began attacking a PS720 (The combined efforts of Sony and Microsoft in an attempt to hold a monopoly). Once the battle was over and the WiiU was Victor, it began consuming several different forms of technology. Until finally it became a super being that went by the name of the Leelu/Liilu, she was the first Element. The government sought to control and better understand her/it... But they failed miserably like most men of today.

"Unsatisfied," Leelu began to destroy anyone and everyone that stood in her way... Until one day she ruled over everything under the heavens. She began testing on humans to "unlock" our potential... Mothers, Fathers, Sons and Daughters all stripped from one an another. I was one of the first to be worked on... I am number four... After the creation of the Super 8, Leelu decided that there was no point in keeping the human race around. She declared herself the Fifth Element and began sending people to a Mysterious Island... Rumor has it even movie stars such as Dwanye Johnson and Michael Caine were sent there to rot....

There is so much to tell... Yet so very little time... For now I leave all of you with this warning, if Scott Pilgrim ever decides to hook his PS720 up to his living room television, we will be doomed. We will become the walking dead... Even simon pegg will fall.

That is why we need to get ahold of Ricky Bobby right now, he holds the key to our Salvation. By finding Ricky bobby we can stop the falling skies, we can preserve Terra Nova and prevent Leelu from ever getting her hands on Quantum technology.

Please! Don't let me watch all of you become Cogs for her Gears of War!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2012 3:58:42 AM PST
that is a downright lie

Posted on Feb 4, 2012 11:26:46 AM PST
Though I will say I would love to play some PSP games, just not on the PSP. Handheld exclusives are silly to me, and rude - being forced to buy a system you know you don't want in order to play a game sooner, assuming it's ever ported, or at all. 3DS for Revelations, for example.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2012 5:29:57 PM PST
I know I am late the party, but ya, you can have multiple systems on the same tv. I have a ps2, ps3, xbox360, and had a wii all hooked up to the same tv.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2012 8:47:48 AM PST
Ha - yeah, I know, I'm behind the times, what can I say.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2012 8:46:07 AM PST
Thanks for your post - yes, the Wii has been a little neglected since we got the xBox. Appreciate the game recommendations too.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2012 8:30:34 PM PST
Why would you attach a PSP to your TV? In fact why would you even attach the Wii. My Wii was stolen going on two years ago, and my 360, and I have yet to purchase a new Wii. It's a waste of space and money to be honest.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2012 8:28:49 PM PST
Yes. Welcome to the 90's. Not to be an ass, sorry. :) They sell switcher systems all over the internet and in retail stores - you plug in all your systems and even dvd player and whatnot to the switcher, then switch between inputs. Most modern TVs also have a plethora of inputs - you can HDMI the xbox if your tv has HDMI and then use the component cables for the Wii. The Wii doesn't do HDMI anyway so that should work fine. It "has" "Hd" support but hd pretty much doesn't exist on Wii so it would be an utter waste of an input if you do have HDMI and waste it on Wii - unless you have multiple HDMI.

You can't use them simultaneously, no, unless your set has ultra picture in picture of doom, which I have never heard of.

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 3:20:34 PM PST
Sony may not make the best TVs in the world, but I love my Bravia for its 9 million different inputs. I expect to see an old school RF adapter sticking out of the back of it :P

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 2:55:14 PM PST
Hope your kids are enjoying all the goodies, Andrea! We've had a Wii since it launched and my little daughter loves the Wii Sports games, but last year I got an Xbox with Kinect and she can't get enough of it. If you have younger kids, Kinectimals and Kinect Disneyland Adventures will be surefire hits. My daughter also loves Kinect Sports. The motion control options for both the Wii and Xbox are wonderfully accessible to kids, and have really turned video games into a family activity in our home!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2012 9:34:14 PM PST
Absolutely. Obviously you can't use them simultaneously and it all depends on what type of TV you have. Another major factor is the type(s) of a/v jacks (component, HDMI, the "old school" a/v cords etc.). I have both a PS3 and a XBOX 360 connected to a SANYO LCD TV (both w/HDMI cables) along with cable TV service AND a DVD player. All this WITHOUT a separate system/component selector.

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 3:55:46 PM PST
Gin says:
Depends on the system really... See, if you have an Xbox and a PS3, well that's a no-no. As one system may turn out to be more aggressive than the other one and attack it. You have to be very careful with what you pair up with your tv, if they don't agree, they may cause harm to your system or your family.

That's why I would not recommend Nintendo and Sega products together, nor would I recommend Sony or Microsoft products together. They just don't get along and only do damage to one another.

--This is a troll post, mainly as the OP now knows the correct answer 5 times over atleast--

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 2:26:21 PM PST
Thanks to all of you for your help!

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 1:47:59 PM PST
I have five game systems, a DVD player, and a satellite receiver hooked up to my living room TV, and three game systems hooked up to my bedroom TV. All you need is a multi-A/V switcher... a little box that will run you about $20 at Radio Shack. And if your TV has any HDMI inputs, then you can bypass the A/V switcher altogether, buy a cheap AmazonBasics HDMI cable for $8 for your new Xbox, and use that instead... you'll get fantastic video quality out of your Xbox, and you won't have to bother with buying a switcher (unless you want to hook up more non-HD game consoles down the road).

I filled up all my multi-A/V switchbox inputs with my Super NES, N64, Wii, and DVD player... and just used an old RF switch for my original NES... so getting an HDMI cable allowed me to hook up my Xbox alongside all the other systems on one TV, no problem.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Xbox 360 forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Xbox 360 forum
Participants:  28
Total posts:  46
Initial post:  Dec 16, 2011
Latest post:  Feb 19, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions