Customer Discussions > Xbox 360 forum

Love the Xbox, Hate the Gold Restrictions

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 90 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 7:35:13 AM PST
WolfPup says:
I THINK/hope they've finally fixed the Xbox? I haven't really heard about issues since Valhalla launched...maybe not even with Jasper? Though my Valhalla had a disc read error out of the box which wasn't reassuring lol Seems like they're using terrible drives.

I sure hope the Xbox 3 doesn't have issues like this...rumor has it the next gen consoles won't be as cutting edge, which while lame, would at least hopefully help them be more reliable out of the gate. (Probably the Xbox shouldn't have launched until 2006-more time spent nailing down the production process.)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 5:21:30 PM PST
Yup, it's the party bubble on the main screen

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 10:22:53 PM PST
WolfPup says:
Huh, I had no clue it could to that! Thanks for the info!

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 5:48:30 AM PST
Coleman says:
I've had both a 360 and PS3 since their launch. I can see a lot of points made here, I do hope that overall for the 720 (are we still calling it that?) they give a better incentive to paying for Gold.

That said, Gold isn't a *bad thing*. At least, when it started out. Remember the blade interface? I remember MS's attitude being something like "You pay for Gold so we can give you new features, keep ads off the system, and support popular features". I'm sure they use the Gold money to host Party Chat services/servers (that's just me talking out of my ass, like most of this post), and... Matchmaking? Maybe. Now that I think about it, a lot of multiplayer games are peer-to-peer connections and not hosted on developer servers (with exceptions like Battlefield 3, etc), so who really knows...

In game voice chat between systems seem pretty solid as far as I'm concerned (yes, there are also yelling children on PSN, just like Live). There was a time when Party Chat was pretty nice to have and still is... Some friends of mine have switched to PS3s and Skype pretty much covers that. It's a different time from 2005/06 when people didn't have that kind of accessibility on what seems like bajillions of devices, like a smart phone for example.

I'm seriously trying to think of a good reason for Live now. MS have changed the user interface so much I become discouraged from playing it and just flip on the PS3 to get to my games. I mean, the Guide button is a god send but there are times I have to try and navigate the damn thing and no MS I don't give a shit about Kesha or whatever awful bro comedy is out I just want my game!

I can just get on the PS3 and get to where I want to go, and play online. Not that the XMB is the most user friendly interface available, but at least I can get from Point A to Point B without jumping so many hoops.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say (as I fight my insomnia) is that there was a time and place for the Live subscription, but just as both the 360 and PS3 are showing their age, MS will need to reinvent the concept of, and give good reasons, to subscribe to Live on the next console.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 6:40:27 AM PST
WolfPup says:
I liked the blades, both how they looked (yay color!) and they were just a good design. Actually really similar to Sony's XMB on the Playstation Portable and 3. HATED that middle interface we got rid of (last year?) where the first TWO rows had nothing to do with launching my game lol.

And the ads are just bizarre. I'm not against advertising per se, and especially not if it's paying for something or making it cheap, but the whole Live thing is just a cash grab as near as I can tell. The ads along ought to be paying for it.

Really disappointed Sony got rid of the XMB on Vita. The pseudo multitasking actually works great when you hit the home button (I guess really better than any other console), but the launcher is laaaaaame and confusing next to the XMB. I mean it's not really THAT bad, but geez, I want a section that shows my save games, etc., I don't want an icon that apparently represents my save game and any patches/downloads for each game...

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 10:39:03 AM PST
blaincorrous says:
If you can't cough up $5 a month (less if you shop around for an annual card), then I don't know what to tell you. You spend how much on a 360, but you can't come up with a minuscule handful to pay for Xbox Live? How much do you pay for Netflix every month? Your cable bill? Your Internet bill? Electricity? Water? And you tell me $5 is what breaks your back?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 10:48:18 AM PST
"If you can't cough up $5 a month (less if you shop around for an annual card), then I don't know what to tell you. You spend how much on a 360, but you can't come up with a minuscule handful to pay for Xbox Live? How much do you pay for Netflix every month? Your cable bill? Your Internet bill? Electricity? Water? And you tell me $5 is what breaks your back?"

You cannot read. It's that certain people don't find enough value in Live to pay the subscription fee, not that it breaks their back, and as a subscriber, I don't blame them for thinking so.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 10:49:03 AM PST
blaincorrous says:
I agree that MS should revisit their method for funding XBL. However, I would still prefer an ecosystem where little brats who misbehave can lose their subscription and have to explain to mommy that they wasted $50-$60 because they are foul-mouthed little toxic dumps.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 7:04:14 PM PST
Joseph Sayre says:
I'm an avid 360 fan and Even i think these apps are free everywhere else, and should be free. What's the sense in having Netflix be Gold only? I don't see anyone saying JESUS I MUST HAVE GOLD TO HAVE THIS! They'll mini HDMI thier phone to the tv and use that. Or turn on a PC, PS3, Wii, or Wii-U to do it for nothing.

I'm fine paying the entrance fee for online play, but, Microsoft's stance on gold only apps is a bit dumb, especially when you can get that functionality on ANY OTHER DEVICE for free.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 7:03:18 AM PST
WolfPup says:
<<<You cannot read>>>

Thanks for saying it so I don't have to.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 1:21:08 PM PST
That's pretty much the point I wanted to get across. Thanks, Joe.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 1:14:01 AM PST
Ivy Vine says:
They really just need to make Netflix available with the Silver subscriptions. I can see why they want people to pay for the multiplayer gaming portion, but the Netflix app and maybe some of the other ones (anything that needs a monthly fee already to use) should be included in Silver. Crackle is free, so having that be part of the Gold subscription makes sense. I do like the Netflix app on the 360 better than the one on my Tivo, but it's free on my Tivo and I only got a gold subscription to use for Netflix before I bought my new Tivo Premiere. I won't be buying another subscription once this one runs out.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 1:17:42 AM PST
Ivy Vine says:
That is why I always use the prepaid subscription cards for online services like this. There is no way for them to renew you automatically, since you do not need to have a credit or debit card on your account. Can't try to charge when there is no credit card number to charge to. Also, no issues when hackers get ahold of people's cc numbers like what happened with the playstation store before.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 12:50:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 2:45:09 PM PST
I'm not sure if anyone got hit with fraudulent charges since the Sony hacking incident happened, but thankfully I've never had anything happen to me. I'm just glad Sony gives you the option to delete your card info. I've heard many "horror stories" how Microsoft keeps charging people's cards. I work at a bank and I've seen it happen. I'm glad I learned that early on before I started adding Microsoft points.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 11:04:38 PM PST
WolfPup says:
Yeah, I've felt comfortable giving Sony and Nintendo my cards, and never had issues, but with the horror stories I don't trust this lol. I've heard they finally added an option in the interface to cancel gold though...hopefully that's true and it works!

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 1:02:42 AM PST
CoryBlink says:
I own both and my PS3 sits to gather dust. I use it more for movies/blue ray player than games. I prefer my xbox and gold account over PS3 anyday. Been tempted to just sell my PS3.
downloads are slow as hell on PS3, they get everything late (DLC) and with my favorite game (rock band) They don't even get a lot of the songs that XBOX does. I was told/read that this is because they can only add soo much DLC a week/month or something of the sort. wtf? really?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 7:11:43 AM PST
WeaKeN says:
I own both and my [360] sits to gather dust. I use it more for [boiling water] than games. I prefer my [PS3] and [free PSN] account over [360] anyday. Been tempted to just sell my [360].
downloads are slow as hell on [360], they [don't have any good exclusives] and [they charge me to play games online].

see? anyone can do what you did. it's pointless.

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 7:22:07 AM PST
I own both and my [hoo-ha] sits to gather dust. I use it more for [drug storage] than games. I prefer my [wang] and [fapping] over [hoo-ha] anyday. Been tempted just to seal up my [hoo-ha].
Orgasms are slow as hell on [hoo-ha], they [take forever to get going] and [usually bleed once a month].

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 1:23:24 PM PST
What did I just walk in on?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 10:37:56 PM PST
Derge says:
It's not $5 a month, it's $60 dollars a year. I would pay a $5 a month for a couple months. But i don't need a whole year. This is a common deception people use to justify the cost.

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 11:41:45 PM PST
Ivy Vine says:
It is about $50 normally if you get the 12 month card (or download code) from Amazon. 3 month card is about $23 now I think (or $25 for download code), where before you could usually find it for $20. If you only need a few months, get the 3 month card. They don't seem to actively be selling the 1 month card anymore, only from 3rd party sellers and I would rather go straight through Amazon. If you want to get the most for your money, it is always better to buy more months (just like with anything). It gives you the biggest discount with a month averaging at $4.17 (based off a flat $50 but Amazon can be as low as $47 and change).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 2:49:39 PM PST
MTech says:
"therefore you're being ignorant." Can't we provide a review without attacking other users?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 8:27:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 2, 2013 6:45:00 PM PST
LMAO, I actually own both consoles.

http://www.gadgetreview.com/2012/07/xbox-live-gold-vs-psn-plus.html
http://kotaku.com/5939245/gold-vs-plus-how-sony-is-making-a-mockery-of-xbox-live

The ONLY differences between Xbox Live Gold and PSN is Xbox Live's more centralized party system and online interaction, the PS3's inability for cross game voice party chat (which is nothing but an online multiplayer matchmaking teamwork distraction that's a free feature on the PS Vita), and PSN's slightly longer download times, but all of that is worth paying the full price of a new game despite the fact that it's losing content (as seen with the cancellation of its Inside Xbox programming, and taking out netflix parties and the social networking apps), has more ads than free services like PSN and Steam, has less exclusive DLC, content, and/or features out of multiplat releases instead of just earlier DLC releases for overrated garbage like CoD (Batman: Arkham Asylum, Battlefield 3, Portal 2, Dante's Inferno, Red Dead Redemption, Bioshock 1 and Infinite, UFC: Undisputed, Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2, Assassin's Creed 2, Brotherhood, Revelations, and 3, Metal Gear Solid: HD Collection, Mortal Kombat 9, and Mafia 2 on PS3 are all examples of this so the whole getting everything late thing isn't even remotely accurate), lacks free multiplayer and free streaming access support, doesn't offer online multiplayer and streaming service access for free, and has less dedicated server support for multiplayer titles, amirite? I thought Xbox Live's price increase was supposed to change that....

That's not even taking PSN+ into account, which has offered games like Saint's Row 2, Just Cause 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, inFAMOUS 2, and many others for free, free and discounted games each month, game trials, more streamlined cloud saving, trophy synchronization, automatic downloads, and first access to demos and betas before regular PSN members and all Xbox Live subscribers, and that's all while being $10 cheaper. Yes, it's worth $50 a year, but it has way more value than 5 years of Xbox Live. If you seriously think PSN sucks because you're taking the PSN hack into consideration, then you might as well mention the RRoD epidemic like it still happens. Live does not have better servers and PSN online gamers are not mostly kids. Those are lies instigated by 360 fanthings trying to justify their subscription renewals, and I should know because, again, I own both consoles. They're both mostly P2P servers, and in an hour of Xbox Live, I've encountered more kids than I have in a week of PSN with a comparable number of mic users. XBL = Greatest entertainment value? LOL. Give me a break.... ^_^

PSN: SuperSaiyan3Jedi
XBL: SSJ3Jedi

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 10:08:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 2, 2013 10:52:17 AM PST
To my knowledge it's more like $10 if you just want 1 month. Would've been nice if it was only $5 for one month. The $20 for 3 months sounds okay I suppose and you really have to considered if you want to pay $60 for a year. They most certainly will try to get you with that "$5 a month". I'm sure you can't cancel your gold subscription and ask for the difference back.

We're looking at $10 for 1 month, $25 for 3 months and $60 for a year. It's not really that great a deal. If they kept it divided within that $60 per year stretch it would be a different story for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 6:23:09 PM PST
Brandon says:
Why does everyone act like Netflix is the only thing on xbox live lol get real
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Xbox 360 forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  90
Initial post:  Nov 24, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 24, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions