Customer Discussions > Xbox 360 forum

X360: Horizontal or Vertical?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 56 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 28, 2011 8:52:55 AM PST
Spudkitty says:
I've always had my X360 horizontal, but I really want to get the Gears Vault, which will configure it vertically. Any opinions on placement?

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 8:55:09 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
I have mine positioned vertically and really like the way it looks.

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 2:06:05 PM PST
H. Amireh says:
i heard that it will have more problems when placed vertically

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 5:07:39 PM PST
Andy Espinal says:
Horizontal because my disc tray won't open vertically =P

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 6:02:54 PM PST
Mary Lyne says:
If this is the first time to buy something like this - what all do I need to purchase??? The xbox 360 w/kinect??? And then add games???

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 6:05:40 PM PST
Spudkitty says:
You don't need kinect unless you want to use motion controls (or you can get a good combo deal). All the X360 needs is a television to connect it to and a good HDMI cable, plus a game or two to start.

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 6:30:17 PM PST
Horizontal because I don't have the room to sit it vertically. Even if I did have room, I prefer horizontal.

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 12:37:31 AM PST
you should get the vault thing and then lay it horizontally with a book as support.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 5:24:35 AM PST
Totido says:
I have had my launch day 360 verticle since I bought it and haven't had probelms. Not even RROD, though i did get RROD on a later 360 I bought for the bedroom.

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 5:36:35 AM PST
Stand it up vertically and you risk losing your disk. I worked at a gamestop and we'd get people bringing in destroyed disks all the time because they had their xbox standing up. I heard this issue was not fixed with the new slims. If your xbox moves slightly while its vertical the disk could start wobbling and you'll etch a circle into it.

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 5:48:23 AM PST
Stud Lee© says:
Kitty, leave it horizontal. Have I ever steered you wrong? *..*

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 5:54:27 AM PST
WeaKeN says:
When putting it vertically, make sure it is not going to move, fall, etc. If there is any sudden movement while a disc is spinning in there, there is a good change it's going to get scratched and ruined.

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 6:07:28 AM PST
So definitely a better idea for the disk to leave it flat unless you've got a very stable location for it? What about the console? I heard the cooling vents were on top; does vertical/horizontal positioning have a significant effect on the (new model) console's lifespan?

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 6:16:02 AM PST
WeaKeN says:
I think it's a better idea to leave it flat, maybe unless you have the gears vault or something similar. Those look pretty stable. There is a cooling vent on the top (if you're looking at it when laying flat). I'm not sure if it makes that big of a different if it's horizontal or vertical in regards to cooling. There may be vents on other parts of it as well. As long as the console has a lot of space around it, it should be good. If it gets into too much of a confined space, the heat will build up and could cause some problems.

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 7:44:07 AM PST
Spudkitty says:
Hmmm, I've always stored my console horizontally, but this Gears of War vault is sweet ...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Calibur11+-+Gears+of+War+3+Vault/2612777.p?id=1218339985267&skuId=2612777&st=Video_Games_2Day_Sale&cp=2&lp=20

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 8:00:18 AM PST
Stud Lee© says:
Kitty, I think the danger of scratched discs outweighs the sweetness factor. Just my opinion.

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 8:05:11 AM PST
Spudkitty says:
Well, you know I value your opinion. Remember when I ignored your warnings about Avatar? ^..^

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 8:17:19 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2011 8:18:18 AM PST
W. Newberry says:
vertical for 5 years here

JUST NEVER EVER MOVE THE CONSOLE WHILE THE DISC IS SPINNING EITHER HORIZONTAL OR VERTICAL

And for what it's worth the actual Gears 3 console looks better than that tacked on thing-a-ma-jiggy

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 9:12:29 AM PST
B.L says:
I've had it vertically since the year it releassed, and sadly it has been knocken over multiple times and I never learned my lesson. I sit pretty close to my tv in a chair when I play and sometimes if I get a little upset I kick my feet like a 5 year old and one time I accidently knocked down my 360. The other two times I badly scratched my disc were because someone tripped on the ethernet cable and knocked down the xbox.

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 9:18:55 AM PST
waxc3 says:
mine have been vertical since day one. never had a problem.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2011 6:19:38 AM PST
Maggie says:
Without games the system is just a really neat dvd player. One game does come with the xbox360 & kinect bundle (Xbox 360 4GB Console with Kinect), but it may not fit for who you are purchasing this for.
Knowing how many people will be using it, what kind of games will be played on the system, and whether or not it will be used to play online will really help you keep from overspending on things you may not need.
I was an Assistant Manager at a video games store for years and absolutely love helping with this stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2011 6:36:57 AM PST
Maggie says:
I keep mine vertical.

The system is cooler if it is vertical, but there is a possibility that if it is bumped (or is someone jumps in the same room) while you are playing a game that your game could get laser burn. Laser burn looks like a perfectly crescent or circular scratch and it basically destroys a disc. Laser burn can also occur if the system is laying down, but it is harder to do.

To reduce the risk of laser burn (if you have a large hard drive), you may download your games to your system's hard drive. You will still need your disc, but the disc will only spin for a couple of seconds when you start the game and then remain still.

I hope that helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2011 6:41:24 AM PST
"You will still need your disc, but the disc will only spin for a couple of seconds when you start the game and then remain still."

Oh, awesome. I didn't realize installing games to the HDD actually installed the entire contents of the disc (minus the verification software or whatever).

Posted on Nov 30, 2011 7:18:59 AM PST
Cats Go Nyan says:
Horizontal. I always worry about it falling off where it's standing, and I know it would't handle a ~3 foot drop well.

Posted on Nov 30, 2011 12:37:54 PM PST
Vertical for 6-7 months cause the manual said so. Stopped reading disks and found the bang on top fix(not a joke) online and left horizontal for the past 2 years. Oddly, after about 2-3 months of being horizontial it began to read disks again without us needing to bang on the top. Found from consumer feedback it was likely the reader came loose from disk jam in the tray. After being horizontial must have settled back into the tray port.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Xbox 360 forum
Participants:  37
Total posts:  56
Initial post:  Nov 28, 2011
Latest post:  Feb 22, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions