Customer Discussions > Xbox 360 forum

Xbox 360 Controller Walking stick Problem

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 14, 2012 8:39:48 PM PDT
Joseph Sayre says:
After searching a while and coming up with no answers other than $50 solutions of "Buy a new controller" I'd had enough.

The 360 pads all have one common issue, after a short or long while the sticks start to "walk" they push directions continuously when let go of, its just part of thier wear and tear, there HAD to be a way to fix it, sensors don't just go stupid, they stop working altogether. Electronics don't have degredation of performance, they just work or... don't. So there has to be something causing the issue and I believe i've figured out what it is.

You'll notice with older pads that the bottom of the pad where the post goes into the plastic stick, is worked, not worn, but worked, its being strained a little when the stick is moved. The best I can work out, is that a tiny piece of shaved plastic makes its way into the Stick's sensor, making the sensor go nuts, like dust on the lens of a mouse.

I had some baby oil lying around, since oil isn't condutive and since baby oil is so thin. Its an excellent way of cleaning electronics so long as you qtip or wipe most of the oil away to resist dust build up in the future.

In any sense i dripped some oil directly into the stick sensor assembly until some came out the bottom. Satisfied it had run through, I moved the stick for a bit, more oil came out. I cleaned up the mess some and put the pad back together.

The stick stopped being directionally retarded. It worked like day one.

I've only tried this once, but if more people who have this issue could try it and verify, then finally we might have a good way of fixing this permanently!

Posted on May 14, 2012 3:24:33 AM PDT
taking your controller apart and cleaning all the dust/debris can help, eventually it will just "wear out" though, controllers can be had for about 40 on amazon.

Posted on May 14, 2012 5:35:54 AM PDT
I've never tried using the 360 controller as a walking stick. I always figured it was a bit too short...

Posted on May 14, 2012 7:48:29 AM PDT
its not nice to make fun of us little people.

Posted on May 14, 2012 8:57:13 AM PDT
Anarchy 99 says:
No matter what type of controller for whatever system, they just wear out, no matter how good you take care of them. You re-place 1 part, a month later, another needs to be fixed. Better off just getting a new one, IMO. :)

Posted on May 17, 2012 4:24:23 AM PDT
koolaid says:
Nice idea, Thanks for posting it. No matter what system a controller is for, they can always be maintained to work effectively forever, either by replacing the silicon pads for buttons or keeping a n64 stick lubed with a small amount of plastic grease. I never ran into a dying digital/analog stick like the 360 has, though I have seen a walking ps3 stick. I'll keep this idea in mind and give it a try in the future.

Posted on Mar 3, 2013 4:46:53 PM PST
I've purchased several 360 controllers over the years and I had the same stick drift problem with then all. I've spent more the $300 to hopefully get a controller that didn't do this. Never had this problem with any other system including: Playstation One/2/3 or even the original X Box! Some of the 360 Controllers I purchased malfunctioned 2 day after playing. Needles to say how unhappy I am because of this and I need a solution that works. So Ill try the baby oil thing as soon as I get the special driver to take these things apart. After that I just don't know.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 12:36:51 PM PST
C.Raven says:
"Electronics don't have degredation of performance, they just work or... don't."
There's your misconception right there. The analog sticks are mechanical, not electronic. The mechanics degrade and wear out and they need to be replaced, or you need to buy a new unit.

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 4:17:02 PM PST
Zeus Carver says:
I have a GOW3 controller that ghost moves alittle but I just deal with it. I remember buying a Razor controller that ghost moved right out of the box while playing GOW1.

Posted on Mar 6, 2013 5:47:34 AM PST
The Drizzle says:
also, make sure that when you turn the controller on, the stick is in its regular position. moving the stick while turning it on can cause the ghost walking.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2013 7:39:56 AM PST
Zeus Carver says:
Where did you get this info? The gamepad doesn't reset into a new neutral position.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2013 11:13:10 AM PST
The Drizzle says:
personal experience. whenever i have an issue like this, i pop the battery out and back in, turn the controller back on, and it works fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2013 3:11:28 PM PST
Zeus Carver says:
The whole reason it ghost moves is its off center. If it found a new neutral position it wouldn't ghost move. Anyways I held down the stick and changed the battery and it hasn't found a new position so you're false.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2013 11:53:09 AM PST
The Drizzle says:
well it looks like you're having a different issue than i've had in the past.

ive never seen an issue like this before, and ive had the same controller for atleast the last 3-4 years. even my older controllers dont have this issue. i was just trying to help with my past experiences, i apologize for being false.

Posted on Jul 6, 2013 1:18:24 PM PDT
Repair ur own console here

http://02622-tez3sfa-0rex63yu6w1n.hop.clickbank.net/?tid=CLICKHERE
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Xbox 360 forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Apr 14, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 6, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions