Customer Discussions > Xbox 360 forum

Scratched Discs

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 8, 2011 7:19:38 PM PDT
Ham says:
So most of the new games that I've been buying for xbox 360 have been coming with scratches on them. It's not only the games in the eco-boxes either, which I guess could raise the chance of getting scratches during shipping and handling. Just about all of the games recently have had scratches on them, that aren't hard to see, fresh out of the box. It's not like the discs have been coming loose off the spindle and sliding around the case either. Anyone else experience this? I have a hard time believing my luck is that bad, but who knows.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2011 12:44:45 PM PDT
WolfPup says:
I'm not sure I've had this issue often (although I think I have). Mostly I've had Xbox games have like visible distortions on them.

Only system where I've seen that...I wish they'd get their quality control working for their games :-/

I'm thinking I may buy a new copy of Deadly Premonition because of it, and its not the first time I've done that.

Posted on Apr 11, 2011 3:13:06 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 22, 2011 5:51:26 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2011 4:44:09 PM PDT
WolfPup says:
There's no reason to doubt. You know what the failure rate was. And you say there wasn't a problem, then there was, then there wasn't?

Posted on Apr 14, 2011 12:59:13 AM PDT
aka TRAP says:
*sigh* I'll make this quick.

Some companies didn't handle shipping too well, and DVD's are easily scratched (EVERYONE KNOWS THIS). Blu-rays can get scratches as well, but the laser that reads them is more powerful, blah blah blah, read through scratches, blah blah blah.

RRoD is no longer an issue. That's been over for almost a year (FINALLY).

BUT ANYWAY! To prevent your discs from scratching, TRY NOT TO BUY USED 360 GAMES! Chances are, they're scratched horribly. Second, don't move your Xbox 360 while there's a disc in it. And finally, don't leave discs in the system. Always take good care of your games and your systems.

Enjoy.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2011 6:48:25 AM PDT
WolfPup says:
Presumably the OP is talking about new, not used discs. And the distortion I see on tons of them is different from that.

Posted on Apr 14, 2011 8:39:31 AM PDT
Install your games, then scratches don't matter!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2011 6:17:10 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 3, 2011 7:46:14 PM PDT]

Posted on Apr 15, 2011 1:23:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 15, 2011 1:25:23 PM PDT
Ham says:
Yeah, I was talking about brand new discs. I don't buy used, ever. I got fable 3 from amazon yesterday. The case had some upc sticker covering up where the upc would normally be on the insert. This was under the shrink wrap as well. The disc I got was scratched to hell as well, which leads me to believe I got a used copy or something. The disc didn't have small light scratches, they were pretty visible on about a quarter of the disc. And yeah, alot of the discs have a weird distortion going through them, but in all of the games i've had, the only one that gave me any sort of problem was eternal sonata back in 2008 when it first came out. And yes, even if the games install and scratches don't matter, that isn't the point. If my games are going to be scratched up, they should be scratched up due to mistreatment by me, not before they are ever opened.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2011 2:20:31 PM PDT
WolfPup says:
Yeah, that's exactly how mine have been. I've had UPCs over the UPC, I've had the distortion, I've even had scratches.

And I've ONLY ever had this with Xbox games-never seen it on the PSP, Wii, Gamecube, PS3, PS2, PS1, PC, Saturn, SegaCD, Turbographix...

Something is seriously screwy about their disc manufacturing process :(

I'm still not sure if I should replace my copy of Deadly Premonition :-/

Posted on Apr 15, 2011 3:13:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 15, 2011 3:14:48 PM PDT
Ham says:
Yeah. I guess the average person doesn't care too much about the scratches as long as it works, which is understandable. It's just the principle of the matter that annoys me. And yeah, Their disc manufacturing sucks, but alot of movie discs look that way as well. The eco cases certainly don't help matters, especially when amazon sends something out in a bubble mailer.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2011 4:28:13 PM PDT
WolfPup says:
Maybe I haven't run across it much because I rent movies more than buy. I do remember having one defective disc in Buffy season 1, and like with the Xbox discs, you could see visible distortion, but otherwise I've lucked out.

The more I think about this, the more worried I'm getting, actually :-/

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2011 5:06:27 PM PDT
Happens to me a lot. I'm sure this happens to a lot of people but goes unnoticed. As soon as I buy a disced based item, I turn it over and shine the light on every inch to make sure it's flawless. I just bought The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader [Blu-ray] from bb and had to exchange it because the DVD was destroyed.

Posted on Apr 16, 2011 6:59:49 AM PDT
Ham says:
I've never had that problem with blu-ray discs, but like I said, most new xbox games I've bought lately have come with scratches on them (even games that are not in eco-boxes). Most of the time they aren't visible unless under a bright overhead light, so the scratches really probably aren't too serious, just ridiculous that they come that way.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2011 10:51:29 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 16, 2011 11:07:43 AM PDT
OrangeCrush says:
I dont see what the big deal is in regards to scratches. First off the VAST majority of scratches are cosmetic only so they wont effect playing the game at all. You have to significantly damage the surface of a DVD to actually cause a scratch that will make a disc have reading problems. I guess if there are some gamers out there that somehow get more enjoyment from shiny new discs instead of ones that have some marks on them then so be it. I for one will never understand it. If you do happen to get a disc that has some scratches that causes reading problems, then you can pay to get it resurfaced.

One of the advantages to regular DVD's, what the Xbox 360 still uses, is the data layer is deeper down and thus much harder to actually damage. I would be worried about scratched Blu-Ray discs far more than I would be worried about scratched DVD's as the data layer is much closer to the surface on Blu-rays. Yes Blu Ray's have a coating to prevent scratches but I would still be more worried about Blu Ray than I would regular DVD's. A good friend of mine is a big Blu-Ray collector and he has already had a couple problems in regards to scratches and hairline cracks in the coating. I used to be a hard core DVD movie collector and currently have over 1400 DVD's. On top of that I have well over 400 original Xbox and Xbox 360 games. With that being said I have yet to have a single problem in regards to scratches. I have had a couple game discs resurfaced but it was a preventative measure, not because the games were no longer working.

Obviously if you get a brand new game and its scratched up then I can understand some people taking it back and getting a new copy. When you buy something new, you expect it to be in new condition. Its perfectly understandable.

Bottom line - minor scratches on DVD's just aren't a big deal. Again if you do run into reading problems you can simply have the disc resurfaced.

Posted on Apr 16, 2011 3:22:36 PM PDT
Ham says:
You are right that most scratches don't have any effect on gameplay... after all, if the disc installs, all should be good. It's just annoying when the disc is new I guess. That said, do scratches end up causing more degradation over time? I know if you leave a fingerprint on a disc for a long time, it can not only cause problems reading, but it can be a real pain to completely get it off. Kinda curious if a scratch will cause more problems as the disc gets older, or if it works now with a scratch, it should pretty much work the same years down the line?

Posted on Apr 17, 2011 9:08:08 AM PDT
WolfPup says:
Well I have run into problems with Xbox games where they have issues reading-and it could run into longevity problems too. It is NOT acceptable that stuff ships with scratches, with distortions, with gunk on the case, whatever. This is supposed to e new stuff, and this was not an issue on:
-Turbographix CD
-SegaCD
-PC games
-Playstation
-Playstation 2
-Dreamcast
-Gamecube
-Saturn
-Wii
-PSP

And 1 single DVD that had Xbox style distortion and didn't read right.

I've NEVER seen games on those systems ship with anything less than flawless discs (and cases too for that matter). I only run across this with Xbox 360 games-and a LOT of Xbox 360 games. I've never kept track of percentages, and maybe it's less than 50%, but that's what it feels like.

Could even be 100% of discs coming from certain manufacturers or something. Like I just cracked open my Dreamcast Collection, and its fin, but Deadly Premonition... Terminator Salvation looks fine too thankfully.

Still wondering if people think I should buy a new DP... leaning towards that, although I still do want to dump at least one of my platforms, and haven't decided what yet. Might wait until e3 to see if anything new develops-if I new one would be backwards compatible on the next gen and the other not, I'd go for the one that was and just sell off the other's games.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2011 5:57:03 PM PDT
Ham says:
I've never had a problem with any other systems' games up until now with the xbox 360 as well. Or maybe I just haven't noticed until now, because I didn't care about the condition of my things much when I was younger. I mean after all, when dvds and cds are being replicated at the factory, they are stacked on spindles on top of each other until they move down the line for labeling and stuff, so scratches can happen there I guess. I don't know really what else could cause scratches before the games are opened. I like to collect games now, so that's why I prefer for my NEW discs to look new, whether or not they work fine.

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 1:50:19 PM PST
... I bought an XBOX 360 game and it came with a circular scratch on it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2014 7:25:53 AM PST
jayden6403 says:
I know how to get rid of disc scratches buy a scratch remover.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2014 7:28:44 AM PST
jayden6403 says:
ooooo that could be removed my lego marvel super heros game has the same scratch i was like (gasps)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Xbox 360 forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Apr 8, 2011
Latest post:  Jan 28, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions