Customer Discussions > Xbox 360 forum

Is it silly to buy an Xbox in 2012?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 121 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2012 4:53:01 PM PDT
Kin-foot says:
Consoles are always less than PC, nothing new. But I doubt any rumors are accurate right now.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2012 5:13:22 PM PDT
WolfPup says:
Well, the Xbox 1, 2, and Playstation 3 were all within spitting distance of a high end PC GPU for 2001/2005. The rumors with this though are that it's something that could have been launched practically in 2006...considerably more powerful than what they've got, but still, makes mid range PC stuff look mind blowing. If the rumors are right, my mid-range Asus G74 has a better GPU by far lol

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2012 5:58:00 PM PDT
That's true of consoles in general, though. You can build a PC right now that will be far more powerful than any dinky little PlayStation or Xbox could be in 2013 or 2014. That's why i always laugh when people argue about 'powerful consoles.'

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2012 4:42:22 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 18, 2012 4:42:31 AM PDT
Kin-foot says:
Odd, I remember looking at Halo: CE and thinking it was ugly. I didn't get the hype at the time since I was a big PC gamer.

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 7:18:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 18, 2012 7:18:40 AM PDT
Spudkitty says:
"You can build a PC right now that will be far more powerful than any dinky little PlayStation or Xbox could be in 2013 or 2014. That's why i always laugh when people argue about 'powerful consoles.' "

But that's why I laugh at people who pay all that money to make a 'powerful console' ... then play X360/PS3 games on it. Hahahaha!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2012 7:27:26 AM PDT
WolfPup says:
IMO Halo 1 wasn't anything special graphically or otherwise...it seemed to impress people who hadn't been playing better, better looking games for years already, yeah.

But the point is, the Xbox 1 launched with basically an integrated Geforce 3-esque thing that was pretty close to top of the line at launch. The Playstation 3/Xbox 360s were too. Top of the line would have over 2x the fill rate in 2005 on PC, but still, they were pretty great.

The rumors have the next gen consoles launching instead with hardware that was high end 5 years ago

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2012 7:27:59 AM PDT
WolfPup says:
You realize they can look and play better on PC, right? And that there are tons of PC exclusives? AND that you don't have to spend much?

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 7:58:53 AM PDT
Spudkitty says:
True about the PC exclusives. That part makes me kinda cry with envy.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2012 8:52:16 AM PDT
WolfPup says:
Though unfortunately there are lots of exclusives on every platform! Leading to me...owning everything right now lol Ugh

Heck, the *Wii* has:
Super Paper Mario
Super Mario Galaxy
Galaxy 2
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
The Munchables
Rabids go Home
No More Heroes 2

that are all really good and that's the WII (that side scrolling Shadow game by Hudson is pretty good too)!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2012 10:21:20 AM PDT
Yea but the consoles are good for 10 years a pc is good for 2 till you have to upgrade aslong as it say xbox on the disk it'll run not the case for PC I lol when people talk about the gpu's and cpu's or graphics cards when each cost like 200 bucks each so you can run one game till crysis 5 comes out and you need to spend another 600 bucks for one game

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2012 10:22:41 AM PDT
"pc is good for 2 till you have to upgrade aslong "

Not true.

Not to mention the fact that games go on sale for ridiculously cheap prices on Steam so in the long run PC gaming is cheaper.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2012 10:28:56 AM PDT
but what happen when you play that new game your pc cant handle?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2012 10:30:50 AM PDT
Dude, my buddy built his PC over two years ago and it is still far above recommended system specs for even the most intense games on the market. Maybe in two years he will have to upgrade his video card but even then he will have had over four years off of that card.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2012 10:44:21 AM PDT
how much did that cost him?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2012 10:52:12 AM PDT
WolfPup says:
<<< Myles Daye says:
Yea but the consoles are good for 10 years a pc is good for 2>>>

Neither of those things is remotely true. No console has ever been supported well for 10 years. The average is about 5. We've gone long this time, but that's still not 10 most likely. And 2 years for a PC? Geez, my notebook is 4 years old and was only mid range when I bought it. I used my main PC before that for at least 6 or 7 years.

<<<when people talk about the gpu's and cpu's or graphics cards when each cost like 200 bucks each so you can run one game till crysis 5 comes out and you need to spend another 600 bucks for one game>>>

Are you aware you have no idea what you're talking about?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 7:07:38 AM PDT
$600++++++++

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 10:47:30 AM PDT
600+ cool i paid 250 for my xbox and it'll always play games i never have to worry about upgrading hardware (unless new console comes out)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2012 10:53:38 AM PDT
WolfPup says:
The Xbox STILL costs $300, so discounting sales, you're looking at...$300...and it only cost $300 YEARS into it's life...which of course means it's that much sooner until you have to buy a new one.

My current main PC I paid zero for, as I would have gotten at least this high end even ASIDE from games.

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 10:49:45 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 20, 2012 10:54:47 AM PDT
Carl Sagan says:
I feel sorry for anyone who got stuck with the ill-fated PS/3. The Wii is fun and revolutionized gaming. The Xbox does everything the PS3 does only better and both Xbox Live and Kinect are best of breed. Nintendo made money on ever single console it sold. MSFT has been making money on consoles for over a year now, and Sony still loses money on every one they make. What a fiasco this generation has been for Sony. It may be time for them to exit this business as the other two show no signs of pulling their collective feet off Sony's neck. I know one thing for sure: You'd have to be nuts to invest in a PS4 early on (and by early on, I mean in 2016 as Sony is already way behind the others).

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2012 11:19:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 20, 2012 5:52:54 PM PDT
"I feel sorry for anyone who got stuck with the ill-fated PS/3."

I own both consoles, and IMHO the PS3 has the better value (due to already rechargeable controllers, blu ray, free online multiplayer support, free access to streaming services, web browser, more exclusive DLC, content, and features from multiplatform releases, etc.), more full-featured media capabilities (due to blu-ray, more supported video/audio formats, DVD upscaling) more powerful hardware (the cell processor working in conjunction with the PS3 GPU gives it more potential than the 360), slightly more reliability (the RRoD is no longer anywhere near as much of a problem as it used to be, but the 360 is still slightly less reliable than the PS3 and Blu-Ray discs are scratch resistant and games always come on just one disc), the better premium online service (paying $50 a year for PSN + allows you to play games such as LittleBigPlanet 2, inFAMOUS 2, Saint's Row 2, Just Cause 2, and Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One for free, gives you access to monthly discounted and free games, lets you take advabtage of cloud saving, trophy synchronization, automatic downloads, etc., and IMHO it gives you MUCH more bang fir your buck than 5 years of Xbox Live), a better, more varied exclusive game library (Journey, MGS 4, LittleBigPlanet 1 and 2, God of War 3, inFAMOUS 1 and 2, Demon's Souls, Modnation Racers, Gran Turismo 5, MLB: The Show, Killzone 2 and 3, Resistance trilogy, Heavy Rain, and Uncharted trilogy just to name a few, and alot of these have fantastic online multiplayer as well), and a more promising upcoming ineup (God of War: Acension, Beyond: Two Souls, The Last Guardian, Sly Cooper 4, The Last of Us). =]

"I feel sorry for anyone who got stuck with the ill-fated PS/3. The Wii is fun and revolutionized gaming."

Agreed, but while Monster Hunter Tri, Red Steel 2, Xenoblade Chronicles, Zelda: Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, Metroid Prime Trilogy, and Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 were all fun games (with the latter two being my favorite games of all time), the Wii easliy has an overall inferior library compared to the other two consoles.

"The Xbox does everything the PS3 does only better"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O43Z9FofM9M&feature=fvwrel
http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/all?view=condensed&sort=desc
http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html
http://reviews.cnet.com/2722-9020_7-743.html
http://www.interactive.org/awards/
http://games.ign.com/articles/121/1215432p3.html
http://www.metacritic.com/feature/microsoft-xbox-kinect-review-roundup
http://www.metacritic.com/feature/playstation-move-reviews
http://www.destructoid.com/gc-10-move-wins-gamescom-award-console-wars-over-182071.phtml
http://www.popsci.com/bown/2010/product/sony-playstation-move
Son, denial isn't going to make your butthurt go away. I also haven't seen a 360 that's as powerful as a PS3, has blu-ray, has a better game library than the PS3, has a motion control solution with more potential than Move, has better hardware than a PS3, has better reliability than a PS3, has as much media functionality as a PS3... =(

"and both Xbox Live"

The ONLY differences between Xbox Live Gold and PSN is Xbox Live's more centralized party system and online interaction, the PS3's inability for cross game voice party chat (which is nothing but an online multiplayer teamwork distraction that's a free feature on the PS Vita), and PSN's slightly longer download times, but all of that is worth paying the full price of a new game despite the fact that it's losing content (as seen with the cancellation of its Inside Xbox programming), has more ads than free services like PSN and Steam, has less exclusive content and/or features out of multiplat releases (Batman: Arkham Aylum, Battlefield 3, Portal 2, Dante's Inferno, Red Dead Redemption, Bioshock 1 and Infinite, UFC: Undisputed, Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2, Assassin's Creed 2, Brotherhood, and 3, Metal Gear Solid: HD Collection, Mortal Kombat 9, and Mafia 2), and has less dedicated server support for multiplayer titles, amirite? That's not even taking PSN+ into account, which has offered games like Saint's Row 2, Just Cause 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, inFAMOUS 2, and many others for free, free and discounted games each month, game trials, more streamlined cloud saving, automatic downloads, and first access to demos and betas before regular PSN members and all Xbox Live subscribers. Yes, it's also worth $60 a year, but it has way more value than 5 years of Xbox Live IMHO. If you're seriously saying this because you're taking the PSN hack into consideration, then you might as well mention the RRoD epidemic like it still happens. ^_^

"Kinect are best of breed."

from a purely technological standpoint, Kinect is the most impressive motion control solution. It has more real-world potential than the other motion controllers, BUT, from a pure gameplay standpoint, it's gimmicky garbage (well, to me it is anyway). Motion controls were primarily brought out to bring new levels of immersion to gameplay that used to be standard on a regular controller. You could swing swords, shoot enemies, cast spells, and your actions would be mimicked in game. THAT is bad-ass. What ISN'T bad-ass however is when motion controls are dumbed down to incredibly simple gestures because the hardware cannot keep up with the software. From a gameplay standpoint, Kinect is as functional as the Wii remote without the motion plus technology.

Why else do you think that we haven't seen anything along the lines of Red Steel 2, Killzone 3, or The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword on Kinect? Why else do you think that Forza 4's (in which you had no control of accelaration, effectively destroying strategy) and Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversarie's motion control inputs were poorly received? Why else do you think that Ghost Recon: Future Soldier's motion control inputs only apply to a weapon wheel and a quick test shoot rather than the whole game? Why do you think that Mass Effect 3 only has voice command support rather than full-on motion controls? Why else do you think Steel Batallion and Kinect Star Wars got such awful reviews? It's because Kinect is more limited than the wii remote plus and the move controller.

I will admit though that voice commands have awesome applications like shouting "Fus Ro Dah" and emitting a shout in Skyrim, but that has nothing to do with motion controls, and the move's sensor/camera (the PS EYE) also supports headtracking and has some controller free motion controlled games, such as Kung-Fu Live (Which actually ended up getting better reviews than Kinect's own fighting game, Fighter's Uncaged). At the moment anyway, Kinect is the weakest of the motion controls IMO, and looking at these...
http://www.metacritic.com/feature/microsoft-xbox-kinect-review-roundup
http://www.metacritic.com/feature/playstation-move-reviews
http://www.destructoid.com/gc-10-move-wins-gamescom-award-console-wars-over-182071.phtml
http://www.popsci.com/bown/2010/product/sony-playstation-move
That seems to be the general opinion. =T

"Nintendo made money on ever single console it sold. MSFT has been making money on consoles for over a year now, and Sony still loses money on every one they make. What a fiasco this generation has been for Sony. It may be time for them to exit this business as the other two show no signs of pulling their collective feet off Sony's neck. I know one thing for sure: You'd have to be nuts to invest in a PS4 early on (and by early on, I mean in 2016 as Sony is already way behind the others)."

Wrong. Sony's gaming division has actually been their most successful department for quite some time now. You fail to take into consideration that not only was the 360 released a year earlier than the PS3 (with a lead of about 10 million units sold worldwide before Sony's console came out), but that the PS3 had reduced the gap between the two platforms to around 2 million units, meaning that despite being the more expensive console, there have been around 8 million more PS3s sold than 360s since both consoles have been on the market to this day. Still though, why does this even matter? Is the Wii factually better than the 360 because it's sold more consoles? Is Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 better than any of the 360's exclusive titles because on that platform alone it's made more money than any Halo, Gears of War, Forza, Alan Wake, etc.? Is The Godfather inferior to Transformers 2 because less people went to see it? =B

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2012 11:32:33 AM PDT
WolfPup says:
LOL what's "ill fated" about the Playstation 3? You'll note it's still HERE and the best supported of the three.

<<<The Wii is fun and revolutionized gaming>>>

"Fun" is subjective, but the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 has by FAR the most serious development. The Wii had SOME stuff no doubt, but not even CLOSE to what the current gen systems got.

"Revolutionized gaming"? How, pray tell, did it do that? If it "revolutionized gaming", why was it almost completely ignored by developers? Why did it quit selling once the casual people moved on? Not that it doesn't have quite a lot of real, quality games, but it's just a drop in the bucket compared to PS3/Xbox.

<<<and Sony still loses money on every one they make>>>

Where do you get this idea? And why do you bring this up? What would it matter to anyone, even if it were true? Wouldn't you, as a consumer, PREFER getting expensive hardware for cheap?

<<<It may be time for them to exit this business as the other two show no signs of pulling their collective feet off Sony's neck.>>>

The irony here is Sony seems like they're in the best position. Microsoft can't gain ground anywhere but the U.S., and has drastically scaled down development while Sony has apparently more than Nintendo. Nintendo is launching current gen hardware against true next gen systems next year, and has bled off the Wii money they got. Sony's in the best position globally and has the most first party stuff.

And "pull their collective feet..." you just like saying random things? You do know the Playstation division has really helped out other parts of the company as they have to compete with cheap Chinese stuff...right?

<<<I know one thing for sure: You'd have to be nuts to invest in a PS4 early on (and by early on, I mean in 2016 as Sony is already way behind the others). >>>

You haven't demonstrated you know anything at all, save for how to make random assertions. Rumors point to 2013 for the Playstation 4 and Xbox 3. There's zero indication Sony is "already way behind the others". What does that even mean? Nintendo isn't even competing against them, and there's zero indication MIcrosoft is beating them to the punch.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2012 11:33:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 20, 2012 7:05:48 PM PDT
WolfPup says:
And I thought Skyward Sword and Xenoblade were both horrible... (EDIT: To be clear *I* thought that...you like 'em, otay!)

Galaxy is amazing though, but the Wii has VERY little serious third party development.

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 12:34:04 PM PDT
Joel H. says:
I feel sorry for anyone that feels sorry for ps3 owners. LONG LIVE 480i

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 5:48:01 PM PST
Lat says:
I disagree. I played all of those on my 360 and your not missing out on much...

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 5:13:46 PM PST
Buy it. Don't bother buying the next gen console at launch either. Enjoy some of the Xbox titles and you will get some good use out of it.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Xbox 360 forum
Participants:  47
Total posts:  121
Initial post:  Sep 4, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions