Customer Discussions > Xbox 360 forum

Can you have 2 game systems connected to the same TV?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 46 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 16, 2011 9:48:35 AM PST
We bought our kids a Wii a few years ago, but now they are interested in an Xbox with Kinect. My question is...is it possible to only use one TV for both systems, or will we have to dedicate another TV to the xBox system? I recognize that it is a little ridiculous to have both systems! Thanks for any help.

Posted on Dec 16, 2011 10:14:00 AM PST
Bumble says:
If you keep the Wii & Xbox on the same TV they will not be used simultaneously. You can always switch between inputs, but the screen will only have the game image for the input you set it on such as hdmi1, hdmi2, component, s-video etc. Ideally, put the XBOX on the largest, nicest TV to take advantage of the superior graphics. It is not ridiculous to have both systems, there is alot more to do with a 360 than the kinect, so you may find them spending more time with the Xbox. Also by having a system per tv you can divide the kids attention between the 2 consoles likely creating less disruption when multiple kids are waiting for their "turn".

Posted on Dec 16, 2011 10:19:07 AM PST
WeaKeN says:
It is certainly not ridiculous at all to have more than one system !!

To answer your question, it all depends on what type of TV you have and how many inputs it can take. You can connect your Wii to the TV with the AV cables that you probably already use to hook it up. If your TV has HDMI inputs, you can hook up your Xbox with a HDMI cord. You then will be able to play the xbox on the HDMI TV input, and the Wii will be on the AV/Component TV input.

If you are having trouble or anything feel free to ask more questions.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2011 10:21:40 AM PST
Thanks much for your help; we actually don't have many TVs in the house, and don't want to have to buy another TV right now just because of a new game system! I imagine we'll get another TV eventually though, to (as you said) "minimize disruption" :).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2011 10:24:14 AM PST
Thanks for your help!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2011 10:27:54 AM PST
WeaKeN says:
You're very welcome and good luck.

Posted on Dec 30, 2011 2:25:31 PM PST
Jim4God says:
I have a ps2, a ps3, a psp, a wii, and an xbox 360 attached to my living room tv. In addition, I have a dvd recorder, a vcr, a hd tv tuner, a blu-ray player, a computer for netflix, and a surround sound system. My tv has tons of inputs. By the way the psp played through a tv is pretty cool. If you have any questions, I also know many different ways to increase the inputs your tv has for not much money.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2011 3:53:26 PM PST
Wow! That is one well used TV! I think we are set with the connections for now, but thanks for taking the time to reply - much appreciated.

Posted on Jan 1, 2012 1:18:16 PM PST
GarionOrb says:
As long as you have available inputs on your TV, you can connect as many components as your TV can support. Be it game systems, cable boxes, DVD/Blu-ray players, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2012 8:34:42 PM PST
Thanks...I had been concerned that the Wii and xbox would interfere with each other. I appreciate all the help!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2012 10:43:20 PM PST
Jawwaad says:
Andrea, I have 5 consoles hooked up to my TV. The Dreamcast, PS3, 360, Wii and PS2. I have my PS2, Dreamcast, and Wii hooked up with component cables to a component box that allows you to switch up to 4 different signals at a time. My 360 and PS3 are hooked up to my TV through HDMI cables due to the fact that my TV has 4 of them. None interferes with the other. Hook up your 360 with HD cables for the best picture and the Wii with component cables and you will be alright.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2012 6:44:13 AM PST
I will look into the component box; might be useful. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2012 4:24:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 2, 2012 4:29:20 PM PST
Sha Gojyo says:
>>> My question is...is it possible to only use one TV for both systems<<<

yes, you can with a multi A/V switch box that you can plug in more than 1 system into the TV with the 3 colored wires into the switch box, you just have to buy one.

like this> http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat_id=3116&sku=28750&relatedItem=true

Posted on Jan 3, 2012 4:49:37 AM PST
I have all 3 and a few more hooked up to the same TV. If you ever watched the Angry Video Game Nerd, he has like 30 systems hooked to the same TV, so yes it's possible.

Posted on Jan 3, 2012 5:21:20 AM PST
I have a few switches from monoprice <dot> com, they are fairly inexpensive and allow more inputs than the TV has to start. I have found that adding a (even the less expensive) harmony remote helps with the switching and turning on/off components. (single button for "watch TV", will send the commands for turning on the cable box, switching the switch to the right input, turning on the TV, switching TV input (if needed), and then the buttons will do the right things as far as volume buttons control the TV volume, and the channel up down go to the cable box etc etc).

Posted on Jan 3, 2012 7:10:35 PM PST
Thanks Sha, Maxwell and Richard!

Posted on Jan 4, 2012 8:59:42 AM PST
OrangeCrush says:
As others have already stated its definitely possible. My basement is like a museum for old consoles. All in all we have roughly 20 consoles hooked up to 2 different TV's in our basement. In all honesty, I dont think there is really a limit in regards to how many different devices you can hook up to a TV.

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 6:27:30 AM PST
You can always use picture in picture settings on your tv, if it has it. One will use the HDMI cables while the other uses components. That way they can both play both consoles at the same time. Some tvs also have dedicated split screen which will make the tv good for watching tv on one-half of the screen and games on the other. However sound is limited to one thing, so your son might not hear the game while you listen to any program on the tv or vice versa.

Posted on Jan 13, 2012 11:06:33 AM PST
Derek says:
My current TV has 3 HDMI outputs, cable, component, etc.

About 10 years ago, I had a television that had only one input and I had two gaming systems and a DVD player. I used to unhook one gaming system to hook the other one in. I know that I am spoiled now with all the input ports on my current television, but did we become that lazy that we can't physically alternatively unhook and hook up gaming systems?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2012 12:40:50 PM PST
I honestly don't know why you would ever elect to do that. Even back then when I also had a standard def television with only one input I purchased a selecter and ran all of my components through it. In fact, I still use the selecter to run my Wii because my Sharp Aquos television does not have a standard AV input.

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 6:09:28 AM PST
Yeah my TV has 2 PS3's, an Xbox360, PSP through Composite AV, my Cable Box, DVD/VCR Player, and Turtle Beach Headphones for the PS3 through Component AV, or USB for Xbox.

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 1:47:59 PM PST
I have five game systems, a DVD player, and a satellite receiver hooked up to my living room TV, and three game systems hooked up to my bedroom TV. All you need is a multi-A/V switcher... a little box that will run you about $20 at Radio Shack. And if your TV has any HDMI inputs, then you can bypass the A/V switcher altogether, buy a cheap AmazonBasics HDMI cable for $8 for your new Xbox, and use that instead... you'll get fantastic video quality out of your Xbox, and you won't have to bother with buying a switcher (unless you want to hook up more non-HD game consoles down the road).

I filled up all my multi-A/V switchbox inputs with my Super NES, N64, Wii, and DVD player... and just used an old RF switch for my original NES... so getting an HDMI cable allowed me to hook up my Xbox alongside all the other systems on one TV, no problem.

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 2:26:21 PM PST
Thanks to all of you for your help!

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 3:55:46 PM PST
Gin says:
Depends on the system really... See, if you have an Xbox and a PS3, well that's a no-no. As one system may turn out to be more aggressive than the other one and attack it. You have to be very careful with what you pair up with your tv, if they don't agree, they may cause harm to your system or your family.

That's why I would not recommend Nintendo and Sega products together, nor would I recommend Sony or Microsoft products together. They just don't get along and only do damage to one another.

--This is a troll post, mainly as the OP now knows the correct answer 5 times over atleast--

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2012 9:34:14 PM PST
Absolutely. Obviously you can't use them simultaneously and it all depends on what type of TV you have. Another major factor is the type(s) of a/v jacks (component, HDMI, the "old school" a/v cords etc.). I have both a PS3 and a XBOX 360 connected to a SANYO LCD TV (both w/HDMI cables) along with cable TV service AND a DVD player. All this WITHOUT a separate system/component selector.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Xbox 360 forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Xbox 360 forum
Participants:  28
Total posts:  46
Initial post:  Dec 16, 2011
Latest post:  Feb 19, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions