Customer Discussions > Xbox 360 forum

X360: Horizontal or Vertical?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 56 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 3, 2011 1:40:10 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2011 1:43:05 PM PST
OrangeCrush says:
I have always had my 360's horizontal but the 360 in my basement, an older arcade version, starting acting like it was going to break down. It started freezing up on me and eventually got to the point where it wouldn't load anything, not even the title screen. I purchased the MW3 bundle as a replacement and while pulling the Arcade version out of my entertainment center, I figured I would give it a try in the vertical position. It actually worked, lol. I laid it on its side and no go. In the vertical position and it worked fine. I wound up taking it into Gamestop and selling it. I was worried the salesman would put it in the horizontal position when testing it but he didn't, he chose vertical and I walked out with some new games instead of a limping 360. There was something immensely entertaining about selling Gamestop a gimped console.

Posted on Dec 6, 2011 2:09:41 PM PST
DoggyDaddy says:
2x360s horizontal for the past 3 years with zero problems. I don't think I'm going to change now.

Posted on Dec 6, 2011 5:16:45 PM PST
OoAK says:
Started with vertical when I first got my 360, had it knocked over once, ruined one of my games and have had it horizontal ever since. Vertical, I guess, looks "cooler" but I much prefer the better stability.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2011 9:08:00 AM PST
W. Newberry says:
HA @OrangeCrush I did the same thing , mine was RROD and I got it working long enough to sell to GameStop when they had that $100 off a new console with trade deal.

I loathe GameStop, so it felt nice.

BTW have you got your spine?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2011 9:53:59 AM PST
OrangeCrush says:
Yeah, I honestly dont think I could dislike a company any more than I dislike Gamestop. They are shady, shady, shady and I have had too many problems with them to ever step foot in a store ever again. Well, that is unless I am selling them a gimped console, lol.

I not only have my spine, I've got my OrangeCrush!

Posted on Dec 9, 2011 6:57:19 PM PST
HORIZONTAL

Posted on Dec 11, 2011 8:19:50 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 11, 2011 8:20:19 AM PST
R. Spencer says:
I have always put mine horizontal. I had trouble with the PS2 reading discs many years ago when in the vertical position that went away when it was placed horizontal so I have continued putting all of my consoles in that position. You also have a bigger chance of knocking it over or shaking it when it is vertical, possibly scratching any disc inside in the process.

Posted on Dec 12, 2011 12:05:12 PM PST
Diagonal....

Posted on Dec 12, 2011 9:17:28 PM PST
Spudkitty says:
O.o

Posted on Dec 13, 2011 9:25:10 AM PST
abizzell says:
I set one up vertically and it stopped working after a few months. I've since had three different XBOXs that I kept horizontally and never had a problem with any of those.
Maybe the new slims are better designed to be vertical?

Posted on Dec 13, 2011 2:43:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 13, 2011 2:44:15 PM PST
E. Suarez says:
I leave it horizontal. I does not get hot as quickly. I had it vertical at first but it would get hot quickly.
Note: I don't use any external cooling devices.

Posted on Dec 16, 2011 11:44:30 PM PST
Arseface says:
You have to be extremely careful if you go vertical. A slight bump can scratch the disc inside (if it's the older model, IDK about the newer one). Totaled my Oblivion disc with just a slight accidental tap. :(

Posted on Dec 17, 2011 2:47:44 AM PST
twztid13 says:
Vertical for first year then got an E74. When I got my refurb back from MS, EVERYONE (including the MS rep I talked to when calling in the E74) recommended having it horizontal (& not just that if you knock it over, it puts a ring on your disc making it unplayable, but that it's has less stress on moving parts & less chance of a disc scratching while spinning). Not sure if that's true, but I have my ps3 horizontal, too.

Posted on Dec 18, 2011 9:33:09 PM PST
S S says:
Horizontal - it's far easier on the disk drive.

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 9:15:29 AM PST
Anthony says:
Horizontal. better stability.

i remember when my brother first got his he got it vertical and accidentally knocked it over while it was running a madden game and scratched the hell out of it. i was with him when he went to get a replacement at gamestop claiming it came like that. the guy at the counter just looked at him and called him out on it but still gave him a replacement.

Posted on Dec 26, 2011 8:06:00 AM PST
I have always had my original 360 standing vertical. It just always looked better to me, had a more natural placement among my entertainment, etc. The disc drive in that 360 has started going bad over the last year or so, and just got a 360 Slim for Christmas to replace my old 360. Even though I have been extremely careful with my 360 standing vertical, have never had so much as a tiny scratch on any of my game discs, and have never had a problem with it standing vertical, I think with my new 360 Slim, I'm moving it to and keeping it in a horizontal position with this new 360, especially with the placement on the vents on the three sides.

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 4:15:16 AM PST
Cats Go Nyan says:
Vertizontal.

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 8:49:27 AM PST
Spudkitty says:
Perfect! :)

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 9:23:17 AM PST
Him says:
So you don't have to concern yourself, Kitty, just give me your Gears 360 and I'll take care of it for you *..*

Posted on Dec 28, 2011 4:23:05 AM PST
Cats Go Nyan says:
I didn't realize I posted on this discussion already. xD I was reading through the posts and mine was on the first page; not sure how I missed it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2011 4:24:58 AM PST
Cats Go Nyan says:
I've had that circle etched into my disc while it was sitting horizontally. I put my fingers under the side just a bit to slide it over and out of the way, and it started eating my game. :(

Posted on Dec 29, 2011 5:53:49 AM PST
Him says:
Yep, Kyle, it will do that. I hope it wasn't one of your favorite games.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2012 6:59:03 PM PST
meepmeep says:
Spudkitty is wrong. The Kinect is becoming more and more essential as XBox is making it more difficult to move on the dashboard without one. Expect to see some features of XBox Live that you simply can't get to without Kinect.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2012 7:52:48 PM PST
so true...the other day i put bfbc2 into my xbox (vertical) and then i decided to lay it down horizontal while the game was loading...i thought i had broken my xbox. i took it out and there were rings etched into the game..

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2012 11:03:46 PM PST
You don't really want to move any device not specifically designed for it that much while a disc is spinning, though. It sounds like the 360 is particularly bad, but changing the entire orientation of any device while a disc is spinning in the drive is generally not going to be good for the disc, machine, or both.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Xbox 360 forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Xbox 360 forum
Participants:  37
Total posts:  56
Initial post:  Nov 28, 2011
Latest post:  Feb 22, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions