Customer Discussions > Xbox 360 forum

Is Call of Duty Black Ops appropriate for an 11 year old.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 148 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 8, 2010 4:33:35 AM PST
Kin-foot says:
I believe there are plenty of settings, parental controls, for the headset/mic. If not you can just simply turn it off so he'll never have to hear a single person online.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2010 4:59:00 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on May 15, 2012 1:53:45 PM PDT]

Posted on Nov 8, 2010 5:00:16 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2010 5:59:05 AM PST
J MOORE says:
absolutely!

Posted on Nov 8, 2010 9:38:44 AM PST
gf2055 says:
Here are some questions you can ask yourself to help make this decision.
Is he frightened by graphic violence?
Has he in any way displayed irrational aggression just moments after finishing up with a game?
Do you have any reason to believe he may not be psychologically stable?
Have you heard him use foul language after playing a game or spending time with friends?
Is he easily influenced by other's bad behavior?
Does he understand the difference between reality and fantasy, and the difference between acceptable and unacceptable behavior?

If you find that video game violence or violence in any other media have a psychological effect on someone then you have only scratched the surface of the real disturbance deeper within that individual. You simply can't blame the media for the sole cause of violent behavior.

Posted on Nov 8, 2010 12:19:36 PM PST
DAC says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 8, 2010 2:13:45 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 25, 2011 8:41:40 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2010 2:15:41 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 25, 2011 8:41:40 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2010 2:51:02 PM PST
Not true. There haven't been any games release with an AO rating. Even the saw videogames get an M rating.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2010 3:12:18 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 25, 2011 8:41:42 AM PDT]

Posted on Nov 8, 2010 5:04:20 PM PST
S. Redmond says:
Its okay to play in moderation.
just dont let him play online till hes atleast 13.
theres a lot of racist people on live, also very vulgar words. Such as sexual acts, words. and such.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2010 5:52:11 PM PST
yeah, and I seem to remember the same thing being said about playing Cowboys and Indians or war when I was little. My brain may be too warped from playing those horrible evil games as a child to remember but, as far as I can recollect, I never went out of my way to go hunt down any Native Americans or Germans or Japanese and try to kill them off.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2010 7:57:11 PM PST
Those are console based games.

Posted on Nov 8, 2010 9:52:46 PM PST
C. R. Flores says:
11 year olds dont need to play this. Buy it play it online and just listen to all the d-bag racist people who play. I grew up playing games like this and im ok. But kids now days, their not the same i think it has more of an affect on them. If i had a kid they would not be playing any M rated game.

Posted on Nov 8, 2010 11:56:27 PM PST
Turn the headset off and mute everybody.

I have the game, and online is not that gory and if you make it where he cant here people talk will be fine.

I can not speak for the campaign because i have not played it yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2010 3:38:24 AM PST
M. Benjamin says:
There are no AO rated console games, at least in the US, because US retailers won't carry them and Sony,Microsoft and Nintendo won't license them for their console. Getting an AO rating means the game doesn't see release. See Manhunt 2 for Wii. It was giving an AO and had to be censored down to a M in order to be released. And just because there is a Saw video game doesn't mean it's as graphic as the movies.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2010 3:55:02 AM PST
My 13 year old plays more than my 11 year old, but they both have set limits. They have all of these type of games because their dad plays too, so we just monitor what goes on. I personally would rather them not play, but as long as they know this is not the real world and they know what we expect from them in regards to right and wrong, I don't worry too much. Definitely set limits and rules though - like homework gets done first and if kids are out playing, he should go outside. These games can be very addictive.

Posted on Nov 9, 2010 4:59:49 AM PST
Steven Meuse says:
I just read Game Informer's review. Here's a link: http://gameinformer.com/games/call_of_duty_black_ops/b/ps3/archive/2010/11/09/review.aspx

The reviewer said that the game is the goriest so far, to the point where it was hard "to compartmentalize it as enjoyable cartoon violence like I have with so many games over the years." The reviewer also had issues with a sequence where the player must torture a restrained prisoner.

I hope this helps you make a decision that's right for you.

Posted on Nov 9, 2010 5:05:07 AM PST
If only there was something on the back of the box that told parents the rating of a game, as well as why the game is rated that way, you know, like this for example http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/uploadedImages/Press/M17PlusSkull-366x244.jpg

Posted on Nov 9, 2010 6:33:33 AM PST
Eric Fossum says:
If it's anything like modern warfare, which I still play constantly, there isn't anything that I would consider about an average child's public recess. The worst part is by far the language and tone of other older online players, but I also play in the "underground" area where that isn't frowned upon. In my opinion (buried under everyone else's) unless you feel your child has an anger issue you'll want them to experience some bad things, it's how they mature. I'm 25 now, but I was aggressive in school and as time went on I matured faster than my peers, so buy it if you want. Keep in mind, you're in control of their play time and sometimes you'll need to take it away.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2010 6:47:27 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
Call of Duty: Black Ops (like any Call of Duty game) is like an R-rated movie, hence the M rating. If I had an 11-year-old, I wouldn't let him/her play it. Halo Reach is rated M also, but I don't think that game is deserving of that rating. I would say Halo Reach is appropriate. It's a military shooter, but it's sci-fi and some of the bad guys are a bit cartoony. Playing online, like any game, can get pretty vulgar due to other players shouting obscenities into their headsets.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2010 9:03:56 AM PST
Dixie Girl says:
Thanks, Steven Meuse for that link. Also thanks to everyone who responded to this discussion with the purpose and intent of actually wanting to help. For the record, My son is only allowed to play 1 hour on Wednesdays and then a few hours a day during the weekend. And no on line play. After reading Stevens and other's links and futher research that I've been doing, much to my sons dismay, no Black Ops for Christmas this year.

Posted on Nov 9, 2010 9:16:44 AM PST
Halo Reach is a great game no violence whatsover it looks like a T rated game to me :p
It's really enjoyable, as for Black Ops you may want to set up the settings yourself because you can turn the gore off and the swear words off so basically it's gonna turn into a T game and also they are correct Xbox Live is bad for kids due to people's Violent Speech they will be cussing ALOT and to get around this make sure your son Mutes ever player...
Your Son( or Daughter doesn't really specify) will enjoy these games I can guarantee that ! Hope this helps

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2010 9:29:48 AM PST
check out the following links for Halo: Reach and Call of Duty Black Ops. Its usually pretty descriptive about what could be inappropriate about what is in the game. The Call of Duty one isnt updated yet, it should only be a few days to a week before they update it.

http://www.whattheyplay.com/products/call-of-duty-black-ops-for-xbox-360/

http://www.whattheyplay.com/products/halo-reach-for-xbox-360/

Posted on Nov 9, 2010 10:02:10 AM PST
depends on if he is mature enough.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Xbox 360 forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Xbox 360 forum
Participants:  110
Total posts:  148
Initial post:  Nov 5, 2010
Latest post:  Jun 30, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions