Customer Discussions > Xbox 360 forum

How to play old Xbox games on a Xbox 360 console??

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 34 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 7, 2012 1:27:46 PM PST
I bought my 13yr old daughter the Xbox 360 with the Kinect attachment. It is great, but we are finding that when she wanted to play her older brothers Xbox games they do not work on the new 360? Is there any product that would let her play old Xbox games? I have herd there is and have herd it was a scam?? So will someone PLEASE tell me once and for all...if there is or is not a way to play the old games on a new box?

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 1:57:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 8, 2012 8:36:51 AM PST
3 things.

1) It's possible on either version of the 360. If you bought the "slim" version you need to have the official Microsoft hard drive for it to work. Generic drives WILL NOT work with playing original Xbox games.

2) All Xbox games are not compatible. There's a list on http://www.support.xbox.com/en-US/games/xbox-games/play-original-games that shows which games are playable.

3) It's best to be connected to the internet when you insert the disc because it has to download an update to play the game. Not sure if there are alternatives if you don't have internet.

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 7:40:08 AM PST
WolfPup says:
Just FYI another great thing about having a hard drive is you can install games to it. That can help them load faster or run smoother, but mainly it makes the system WAAAAAAAAAAAAY quieter as it's insanely loud when running games off of the disc. With the game installed it just spins the disc up for a few seconds to check that the game's there and then loads the rest of it from the hard drive.

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 2:01:31 PM PST
M. Mont says:
FYI only 360 games can be installed to the hard drive

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 3:29:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 12, 2012 3:29:39 PM PST
The Slim is actually pretty quiet, but installing games does always help, especially with load times. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 10:58:06 AM PST
WolfPup says:
It's crazy loud. Not sure that there's any difference between any of the models, though there may be some individual variation among the multiple drives Microsoft uses. But anyway on most (if not all) models you'll need to install the games to enjoy them, given how crazy loud the drive is.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 11:04:34 AM PST
*shrugs* Mine isn't crazy loud, and I rarely install games. Only if the load times are particularly slow.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 12:16:23 PM PST
WolfPup says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 12:47:16 PM PST
The 360S really should not be that loud. I play with the volume fairly low, and I don't notice much if any disk/fan noise. By comparison, my 360S is definitely not as loud as my phat PS3. Maybe there's something wrong with yours?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 1:04:21 PM PST
WolfPup says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 1:11:15 PM PST
It purchased my 360s brand new and I was surprised at how noticeable the sound of the disc drive is. It's not so bad that I can't tune it out, but it is noticeable at times. I've been playing WWE 13 mostly and spent a lot of time on creations. I hate that game doesn't have an install function.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 1:16:21 PM PST
WolfPup says:
Oh weird, WWE13 can't install? Does it give an error when you try?

I ran into that with one game, and someone told me you can sign out of your profile, and then may be able to install it, and then sign back in, like some kind of bug...but I didn't get a chance to try it as I hated the game I was having issues with and had gotten rid of it by then.

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 1:32:11 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 13, 2012 1:33:11 PM PST
Well, I would've like to have tried, but either I'm not finding the option or it just isn't there. It takes a hell of a long time to load when my custom shows begin in Universe Mode.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 1:34:54 PM PST
WolfPup says:
Dang, I can't remember off hand what you hit...I want to say maybe there's an "info" or "options" button when you have the game tile highlighted, and at that point you can choose "install" from there? It's like one button just launches it from disc, another gives you options that let you install, and should always be there even if it fails or doesn't work right which occasionally happens.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 1:37:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 7:15:54 AM PST
Well thanks. I'll give it a shot. I'm getting tired of hearing the disc load. It takes me back to the days of the Dreamcast (God rest its soul).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 2:05:31 PM PST
Hmm, maybe I'm better at tuning out background noise than I realized, lol. :)

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 7:49:20 PM PST
Ours is a factory referbished 360...we don't notice it being loud? We watch movies on it and play the Kinect games without any complaint about excessive noise.
Thanks for all the feed back on how to solve the mystery of how to play a non-360 game on a 360... guess we will just move on and be a little more careful about making sure it is a 360 game. We really wanted to play the Myst game..oh well. Happy Holidays everyone! *< :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 11:10:43 AM PST
Dawn M says:
Did you check out the link Jackson posted earlier in the thread?

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/games/xbox-games/play-original-games

Now that I think about it, does your console have a hard drive and is it connected to the internet?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 11:55:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 11:59:01 AM PST
Yeah, I forgot to mention this. If the console you have is the 4GB it doesn't have a hard drive. You will need to get the Xbox 360 250GB HardDrive - Xbox Slim Only Hopefully you can find a cheaper prospect as I did.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 1:25:19 AM PST
Ivy Vine says:
Some of the older games that play on the 360 just don't look good though. I had hoped to get rid of my original xbox once I got the 360 Elite many moons ago, but I noticed with some of the GTA games, that I preferred to play them on the original xbox due to them running smoother.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 8:23:49 AM PST
I suppose it depends on the game. I own Star Wars: KOTOR, Jade Empire, Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction and Fable. They all looked good and I haven't had any problems running those game on my 360.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 8:40:13 AM PST
Dawn M says:
That will happen with any emulator though. The same applies to playing PSX and PS2 games on a PS3, or just playing any sort of retro title on an HDTV. Some games will look okay, some won't.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 12:57:37 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 28, 2014 11:02:54 AM PST
Ivy Vine says:
Yes, just thought that I would mention it to the OP since they mentioned specifically wanting to play older xbox games. So even if they work, they might not be as nice to play on this than on an older xbox. Also to mention, I have no issues with how any older games on the original xbox look on my LCD HDTV, but I had also bought the component Monster cable for it to get the best picture quality, instead of using the composite one that it came with.

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 10:46:42 PM PST
Same mines ain't loud I try it before maybe it's certain drives all drives ain't the same

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2013 12:00:35 AM PST
Dawn M says:
Well that was painful to read... -_-

Not all original Xbox games can be played on the 360. Also you're pretty much SOL if you're using a third-party hard drive as well.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Xbox 360 forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  34
Initial post:  Dec 7, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 28, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions