Customer Discussions > Xbox 360 forum

First Games to Learn Xbox 360 Controller?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 29 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 20, 2011 8:14:13 PM PDT
Lomerson2 says:
I am a 53 year old guy who just got his first gaming system since Atari (I loved Pong and Breakout!) I have played a lot of classic arcade games such as Centipede, Galaga and the Pac Man's. I have also played Duke Nukem, Wolfenstein 3D, and Civilization 1-4 on PC. What are a few games that I could learn to use the Xbox controller without getting too discouraged? Thanks, Rick

Posted on Jun 21, 2011 12:00:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 21, 2011 6:34:30 AM PDT
Voice of god says:
Portal and Portal 2 are pretty good games to learn with. They're puzzle games that don't really have time limits, but they still ask you to move around and manipulate the camera the way you would in a typical shooter. They're also amazing games.

Posted on Jun 21, 2011 5:29:18 AM PDT
Fable 3 makes decent use of the controller, especially the mini-games.

Posted on Jun 21, 2011 10:04:45 AM PDT
Okay, I realize it sounds like it's geared toward children, but you might check out Boom Boom Rockets on XBLA. It's a rhythm game with a bit of an arcade-style vibe, and you can try the free demo to see if you like it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2011 10:07:29 AM PDT
Lomerson2 says:
Thanks very much, I've ordered Portal 2 and looking for Portal.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2011 10:08:26 AM PDT
Lomerson2 says:
My granddaughter has Fable 3 and she said that since I have helped her so much with her computer she is going to give it to me! :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2011 10:09:28 AM PDT
The original Portal is on XBLA, or you can get it as part of The Orange Box (which might also be a good game for you to get early on, since it's a nice compilation).

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2011 10:10:13 AM PDT
Lomerson2 says:
I assume that XBLA is Xbox Live Arcade? I absolutely will check that out as soon as a get on Xbox live and figure it out, thanks very much.

Posted on Jun 21, 2011 10:12:44 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2011 10:18:56 AM PDT
Yep, that's Xbox Live Arcade. There are free demos for tons of games (both retail games and downloadable games) on XBLA, so I definitely recommend you check it out. By the way, some of my favorite XBLA games are Shadow Complex, Limbo, and The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom. If you like platformers at all, be sure to check out the free demos for those too. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2011 10:44:00 AM PDT
C.W. says:
I can meet you half way on this Jason, but I do have a few older friends that have expressed a lot of interest in playing on modern consoles, but have given up in frustration because of the controls. It's easy to say what you said because we (probably you too?) grew up being used to controllers, but many of these folks have never ever used a controller, some even a mouse/keyboard combo to play games. So I can see where they're coming from too.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2011 11:17:40 AM PDT
T. Nield says:
I am 22 and got my first game console four years ago (Xbox 360). I played games on PC with keyboard and mouse before that and it did initially seem possible to learn the Xbox controller. However, there really isn't much of a learning curve as you think. I agree, play Portal for about three days and you'll feel comfortable with the controller.

My other recommendation would be Battlefield Bad Company 2 if you want to play online. It has large expansive maps and you won't have to worry about getting killed every three seconds like in Call of Duty. You can be a sniper, camp inside some brush, and pick off enemies in the distance at your own pace.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2011 11:47:00 AM PDT
I understand that. I helped set up my mother-in-law with a DSi system. That said, there is nothing inherently complicated about the 360 controller. That is especially true when so many games give you an on-screen tutorial about which button to press. Some games even provide a prompt that is the same color as the face button so if you see a blue circle with an X in it you know to press the blue X button on the controller.

Anybody who can use a web browser to go to Amazon, create an account, sign into said account, navigate their way to the forums and create a thread will have no problems figuring out how to use a 360 controller. Just pick a game and play it. After a while the player will become used to the controller.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2011 11:50:29 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 21, 2011 11:51:14 AM PDT
C.W. says:
Yep. I agree. A part of it too is just the desire to want to game. My friends that I mentioned are mildly curious, but they just don't really want to take the few days it would take to get used to it...so I just have to assume they don't care enough to want to game.

EDIT: I would LOVE to get my dad into gaming to give him something to do now that he's retired, but he would probably never go for it...even though I know he would absolutely love Red Dead Redemption lol

Posted on Jun 23, 2011 7:54:44 PM PDT
Warchild says:
Madden football games would be a good start as well. Not overly tricky and makes good use of the controller, plus if you are a football fan, it's great to play as your favorite team. Look for used past games to get one on the cheap. They pretty much release one every year, with little change each year.

Another good resource is Live itself. Most games have demos available. Browse the selection of games, sorted by genre, and find ones you think would interest you. There is no sense picking up a game to learn the controls, if you do not like said game.

Posted on Jun 24, 2011 4:51:11 AM PDT
Get that game on the xbox marketplace, I think its called "Try not to Fart". I'm serious. You press the buttons it tells you or something. Plus its funny.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 10:08:03 PM PST
CD44 says:
I'm responding way late to this, but i'm in the same predicament! 29 years old, first console since PS1, and i'm really having trouble remembering the button layout. I'm mostly confusing X with A (i guess it's because X on a PlayStation is where A is on the Xbox), and mixing up LT and LB (in my head it's Left Top and Left Bottom, which is making me switch them around!).

I've been playing the Madden and NCAA Football demos, and it's frustrating constantly seeing the open receiver and pressing the wrong button and throwing somewhere else. You don't have time to look down and see the buttons on the gamepad in these games!

I'm trying some of the suggestions in this thread, so hopefully i can learn the layout a little better.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 12:44:48 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 15, 2013 7:29:51 PM PDT]

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 2:15:52 PM PST
CD44 says:
Reporting back.

If you're strictly trying to learn which button is which, Boom Boom Rocket is PERFECT. Just switch it to Letter mode (instead of arrow mode). I don't particularly like a lot of the music, but i'm enjoying the accuracy and hit rate stats, allowing me to see just how much better i'm getting at remembering the layout.

Now i just need a way to stop pressing LT when i meant to press LB!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 3:00:55 AM PST
Nicos says:
I also learned to quit thinking of the buttons in terms of letters... I just remember the colors. It can be frustrating when you run into a game that doesn't reference the colors at all and just lists the letter (Fallout New Vegas comes to mind).

Either way, glad to hear that you are making progress.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 5:05:00 PM PST
Mike Snyder says:
The bad thing for me is switching back and forth between Xbox and Nintendo, because the X/Y are swapped and the A/B are swapped. I was playing Xenoblade Chronicles this summer, and for half of it I would still press "A" when I meant a cancel action and vice-versa. Then, another 360 game and I have to unlearn the Nintendo way. :)

At least on the PS3, the symbol buttons are positioned to match the 360. X is equivalent to A, and Circle is equivalent to B. I suppose Nintendo's control scheme pre-dates either, but it's still a pain.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 3:36:00 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 3:41:52 PM PST
Donna says:
I'm looking for some ideas for adventure type, xbox 360 games, which aren't overly complicated. If anyone has any recommendations I'd appreciate it. I just got an xbox 360 today and I've ordered Lego's Star Wars but haven't gotten it yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 3:51:25 PM PST
Joel H. says:
When it comes to 360, it's more of a lifestyle change that is needed, rather than practicing with certain software. To truely master the 360 controller, you'll need to.. completely let yourself go.

I'm talking senior citizen-giant-button-home-phone investment type of let go. Your pet dog mistaking your fingers for sausage.. type of let go. For your hands much reach the level of gluttony that is.. the 360 controller. Super size your fries. Sabotage the treadmill in your apt complex. Take syrup with your coffee. This. Is the way of the Xbot. Hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 4:54:02 PM PST
If you don't mind slower paced, puzzle solving games, I'd give The Testament of Sherlock Holmes. It's not a twitchy action game, it's a slower crime investigation game with Holmes and Watson. It has plenty of fun puzzles too and it does allow skipping of said puzzles if you get stuck. I really dug the game, I'd say it's worth a shot.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 6:30:03 PM PST
Donna says:
Thanks for the info, I do like puzzle games. Thanks again.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Xbox 360 forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Xbox 360 forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  29
Initial post:  Jun 20, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 14, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions