Customer Discussions > Xbox 360 forum

Is Call of Duty Black Ops appropriate for an 11 year old.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 148 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 5, 2010 3:04:56 PM PDT
Dixie Girl says:
My 11 year old is dying for this game. Can anyone tell me how violent it is. He is really into wwII type games, the military channel and anything else military. Just wondering how bad it is. He also wants Halo Reach so the same question goes for this game as well. Thanks!!!

Posted on Nov 5, 2010 3:10:00 PM PDT
Seth A. Romo says:
It's rated M for Mature. He can't even see a PG-13 movie yet... Honestly, I would make him wait till he gets older. If he plays online, he will hear some pretty vulgar things.

Posted on Nov 5, 2010 3:21:09 PM PDT
If you are letting him play WWII games and he is big into the military channel I don't think this is much more violent than most of the WWII games out there.

I am an avid Call of Duty player and the thing that really seperates this game from the WWII games is that it covers the Cold War era, Bay of Pigs, Vietnam etc..

You don't have too much to worry about by letting him play this game. I would however suggest putting a time limit on how much he can play at one sitting. If not regulated this came can consume days, if not weeks of your life. Trust me. As long as he realizes it just a video game its all good.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2010 3:22:35 PM PDT
None of these games are suitable for a kid if you play them online. However, Halo only depicts purple alien blood so it's not as graphic I guess as Black ops would be. Halo seems like a game that should have been rated T and is probably the better choice if you're concerned about violence.

Posted on Nov 5, 2010 3:24:11 PM PDT
A. Lopez says:
yea seth is right i'm 24 and i think of some of the stuff i hear on line playing. i would hold off till hes older..... try and find him some action games like star wars the force unleashed 1 and 2 good games and its all good i let my 3 year old play with that.

Posted on Nov 5, 2010 3:25:52 PM PDT
Hawk Lord says:
This game involves dismemberment of bodies and vulgar language, especially if he plays online.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2010 3:32:00 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 25, 2011 8:41:27 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2010 3:34:07 PM PDT
Dixie Girl says:
Hawk, Wow, dismemberment! Didn't realize! Is this just on online play, which he doesn't do? We don't allow him to do that yet just because of his age and safety issues. Or is this part of the actual game.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2010 3:35:11 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 25, 2011 8:41:27 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2010 4:11:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2010 4:17:52 PM PDT
My 13 year old son wants this game also. But the clips I have seen look really violent. IGN.com will have a thorough review of it when it comes out, I would look at that first. My son has all the Halo games and they are impressive. Halo Reach is his favorite. I like that he gets to "forge" which means they get to build structures and he isn't just running around shooting aliens. I only allow my son to play with people we know online (XBox live). I DO NOT allow him to play with strangers. XBox Live has settings for this. I don't think I am going to get it. What else do they do besides kill people? And graphics have gotten so good. It looks pretty realistic.

Posted on Nov 5, 2010 4:14:00 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 5, 2010 4:31:45 PM PDT]

Posted on Nov 5, 2010 4:46:54 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2010 6:34:49 PM PDT
M. Benjamin says:
"Also who plays call of duty offline, that would be a 10 hour game and a waste of 60 bucks."
This is true, the buzz with CoD is the online play, without that it's a waste of money. I let my 12 year old play online, he doesn't get a mic though. Nothing he doesn't hear on the school playground. Also a M rated game is usually about equal to a PG-13 movie, though a few do come close to what an R rated movie would show.

Posted on Nov 5, 2010 6:36:32 PM PDT
M. Benjamin says:
Also go to IGN.com and check out the video review for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare or World at War, you'll get to see just how violent/graphic it is for yourself so you can make the decision. I think it varies on the maturity of the child as to what they should be allowed to play.

Posted on Nov 5, 2010 7:34:03 PM PDT
B. Rolf says:
Don't let him get Call of Duty, if he can't play online then it's really no point in actually buying it, as the campaigns have been getting shorter and shorter. Which basically means your paying $10 an hour to let him play violent video games. If he can play online, (unless he's really good and doesn't use a mike) will just be cursed at. Seriously, if people hear a adolescent voice online, they will start shouting every word they know that might be mildly offensive. (I've seen it happen) If he is bad at online, (most kids are) the same result will come.

I would however say, Halo is okay. Aslong as you restrict his Xbox Live acess so he only can play with friends, he should have a great time forging with friends, or playing some rounds of firefight. Get him Halo Reach, wait until he's 15 for Call of Duty

Posted on Nov 5, 2010 8:05:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2010 8:05:56 PM PDT
J. Waldvogel says:
It's rated M for a reason. You may think your kid is fine to play, but he/she isn't It's one thing watching it, which at their age you should limit, but PLAYING a game is different. Your now interactively involved in Killing and being Killed in a game. A game that's real world, Not shooting at Aliens or ghosts or something. It's NOT kids game. Who cares if they really, really just have to have it. Your the Parent. If Parents would actually Parent their kids, the Government wouldn't have to think they need to get into Parenting your kids! 16 would be the earliest I'd ever let any kid play one of these types of games.
At 11? No way in hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You know what you get when you let kids play these types of games??? Here are a few links!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf8gGRDZdMs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0VIzP-rKf4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vX0uwpE8Ro&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcRT9PhDhtc&feature=related

After seeing these, now what do you think? This is what happens with Kids playing M rated games over time!!!
The last one is really good. This guy is going crazy and you can hear someone else online commenting about it. If that was MY KID, for starts that Xbox would be GONE!!! After a month, I might return it, but Online gaming? NO. I'd also remove all M rated games including Halo! Given time, Limited Online if he hasn't been banned already from LIVE. If that crap started up again, It'll all be gone Permanently.

Posted on Nov 5, 2010 10:22:33 PM PDT
C. Ramos says:
Yes, definitely let him get it! And also be sure to buy him GTA IV and let him smoke and drink alcohol.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2010 12:51:33 AM PDT
Kudos to you for doing some research before making a decision.

The warning label for this game says it is rated M (mature) for blood & gore, intense violence and strong language. I don't know what type of WWII games you let him play. If he has a lot of first person shooter games then he is probably used to the violence but Black Ops does allow players to kill opponents with flamethrowers, explosive crossbow bolts and frag grenades. Most gamers are long used to this kind of fare but you will have to decide if this is appropriate for him. There is a heavy amount of mutilated and dismembered bodies in the game.

You will also have to decide if he is ready to actively play a game involving military cover ups and potentially illegal and immoral conflicts.

Posted on Nov 6, 2010 1:49:39 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2010 1:55:53 AM PDT
Modern Bear says:
Online play or not I would not let an 11 year old get Black Ops. Halo Reach is a little safer (single player, not online) but even then you should probably wait till he's older. The games are M Rated for a reason and the ESRB provides a valuable service with these ratings. They really provide a good guideline for parents who may not be sure if a game is age appropriate for their kid. If you look at the back of the box it shows details of what is in the game to receive it's rating. I really think J. Waldvogel summed it up best and if you watch the videos he linked you'll see why. Just make sure your kid isn't around when you watch them.

Posted on Nov 6, 2010 3:07:51 AM PDT
No

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2010 11:15:03 AM PDT
M. Benjamin says:
This is what happens when you don't parent. Has nothing to do with the game. You really think that kid is gonna be any different on the basketball court? If you're actually involved with your kids and teach them right from wrong that doesn't happen. I taught my son from a very young age that that type of behavior is unacceptable and gets the game taken away ASAP. He's now 12 and plays Modern Warfare 2, and has gotten better at it then I am. And no he doesn't go cussing at the TV or throwing temper tantrums. Granted that is easier for me as I myself am a avid gamer so he's grown up with consoles his whole life. You don't just trow an 11 year old in front of the TV and disappear.

Posted on Nov 6, 2010 11:25:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2010 11:25:39 AM PDT
Primogen says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2010 12:02:23 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2010 12:07:05 PM PDT
I totally agrre with you on this. If we are going to blame the games that they play, then what next? Ban all televesion except Sesame Street until they are 18?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2010 1:00:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2010 1:04:28 PM PDT
She asked how violent it is from people that have likely played the game. Technically asking people that have actually played the game IS research. She did NOT say choose for me, nor did she state anywhere in her post that her decision will be solely based on what she is told. Instead of preaching nonsense about YOUR views on the "vag" and parenting, try paying attention and removing your sanctimonious head from thine arse.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Xbox 360 forum

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Xbox 360 forum
Participants:  110
Total posts:  148
Initial post:  Nov 5, 2010
Latest post:  9 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions