Customer Discussions > Xbox 360 forum

Is Call of Duty Black Ops appropriate for an 11 year old.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 148 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2010 3:27:36 PM PDT
Greg Lucas says:
I agree with Patricia Butler. A parent asking for advice on a subject from more experienced people is a fine way of beginning your research. I think the assumptions some folks on this board jump to are ludicrous.

Posted on Nov 6, 2010 3:29:59 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2010 3:38:54 PM PDT
Modern Bear says:
I would also point out that just because some of you don't care if your kid plays a violent and graphic game doesn't mean that the original poster or others should also do the same. Everyone has different kids, some of whom may be more impressionable, plus some people have different values they wish to instill in their children. Posting on here that not exposing kids to everything society has to offer is somehow sheltering/babying them is rather ignorant. Some parents want their kids be kids for awhile, then when they become teens then they can turn into whatever crap society wants them to.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2010 10:01:49 PM PDT
Absolutely not. You should never get a Call of Duty game for him, unless you think he's incredibly mature for his age. From what I hear, this game has dismemberment, torture scenes, and needless to say, copious amounts of blood. I'm only 15, but my parents know I'm mature enough to purchase it for myself. Note how I pointed out that I paid for it on my own. I didn't beg my parents to get it for me. I understand the realism of the violence in the game, and I can distinguish it from real life violence.

As for Halo Reach, it doesn't have more blood than the average PG-13 movie, but keep in mind that the game was designed for a mature audience. That'd probably be fine, but disable online play. Everyone hates it when 11 year olds start trashing talking online.

In short, if you think....check that. If you KNOW your child is mature enough, then you can allow him the game at your own risk, but disable online play, unless he is exceptionally polite as well. That, and he won't start screaming if he gets killed online.

Posted on Nov 6, 2010 10:45:46 PM PDT
Kevin says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 6, 2010 11:05:56 PM PDT
Jason says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 7, 2010 6:16:17 AM PST
Unless your child is prone to becoming psychotic and going all GTA in the real world, I say ''Why not?''

Posted on Nov 7, 2010 6:34:05 AM PST
No, this game is NOT appropriate. The ratings are there for a reason, and mature players who are able to play this game find it frustrating to play with whiny little kids who can't understand why they aren't number one every time. Kids need to learn something that all of us have learned growing up, and something my mom has said to me many times while I was growing up. "You're just going to have to wait." I.E. until they meet rating standards. Ultimately, and realistically though, it inevitably is up to the parent.

Posted on Nov 7, 2010 7:50:40 AM PST
Don't let the hippies tell you that its too graphic/violent etc. If you are half a decent parent, then you should be there to explain that these are the horrors of war, that's where they belong, hence, that's where it needs to stay. Also explaining that while some of these areas covered are based on actual events, the story as a whole is fiction, that words used are not acceptable in common life usage, that violence is what creates problems. All COD games to date is supposedley a path to a greater good, with a bloody trail leading to the conclusion. While the underlying theme is to cause damage/suffering/destruction to ahieve ultimate victory, normally, Treyarch's take on war is more lesson(s) learned from the horrors of war, and the damage done to the big picture of objectives. So in a sense, I am saying that while IW's Modern Warfare series is excellent in its own right, it is terribly mindless compared to the lessons taught in Treyarch's. Basically, if you are a decent parent, your kid shouldnt have an issue dealing with COD, but Halo may be a better option.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2010 11:55:28 AM PST
If this game is like its predecessors, there will be moderate violence and bad language. I'd hold off until the kiddo goes to middle school. My guess is most 6th graders would do OK. Time limits are also a must.

Posted on Nov 7, 2010 12:36:48 PM PST
Mike S. says:

Posted on Nov 7, 2010 2:00:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2010 2:02:44 PM PST
I donno, a hard M rating is pretty stern. Those of you saying 'it's only the same as a PG-13 movie' are highly mistaken. This game is rated M for a reason and they put that 17+ disclaimer on there to let you know this will not be appropriate to younger kids. I've been playing M rated games for as long as I can remember (I'm 25 now) and still do, and I think I've been one of the fortunate ones to not give in to the over saturation of violence depicted in video games. Even though my child is still too young to barely speak, I can't imagine letting him play such a photo realistic game for hours at a time. Tell you what, if you can honestly let your kids watch Full Metal Jacket, Apocalypse Now, Saving Private Ryan, and The Thin Red Line, then you'll have no problem letting them play this game. I however, can't wait to get into this one.

Posted on Nov 7, 2010 2:11:15 PM PST
Good christ. This is a SUPER violent game. Shooting people in the head, stabbing people. Don't get me wrong, I love these games... but we won't let our 11 year old (and eager) boy anywhere near these kinds of games. Let him be a kid for a few more years. First Person Shooters will still be around when he's older. Stick to games that are fun and less violent! My kid loves Fable, a couple racing game, Katamari, the lego games. Happy, uh, hunting!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2010 2:50:55 PM PST
Paul says:
I strongly advise you to NOT let your 11-year-old play this. Call of Duty: Black Ops is extremely violent and filled with strong language. If you let him play online he will hear even worse things.

Posted on Nov 7, 2010 4:12:11 PM PST
Dixie Girl says:
Thanks everyone for your input. My son plays ww2 games and others rated T only. I am just beginning my research but wanted the info straight from the horses mouth, so to speak, getting it from you folks who actually play. For those who have given relevant, pertinent information pertaining to my question, I really appreciate it. Thanks again!

Posted on Nov 7, 2010 5:55:18 PM PST

Posted on Nov 7, 2010 6:02:55 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2010 6:23:34 PM PST
W. Newberry says:

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2010 7:20:38 PM PST
M. Benjamin says:
You sound more immature than my 12 year old.

Oh and "Online Interactions Not Rated by the ESRB."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2010 7:22:35 PM PST
M. Benjamin says:
Usually the only real difference between a war game rated T and one rated M is blood and maybe profanity.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2010 7:31:33 PM PST
I completely agree with Ronald. My 9 year old has been playing COD, Halo, Resistance and Gears of War and he is smart enough to know that they are just games.

Posted on Nov 7, 2010 8:17:27 PM PST
JRest says:
There's a reason for the ratings on the game. I don't believe Black Ops is appropriate for an 11 year old KID. Halo Reach (as mentioned previously) as better suited as they are aliens, and NO dismemberment.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2010 9:55:17 PM PST
M. Benjamin says:
ESRB and Movie ratings are not equal. Yes M is usually more graphic than a PG-13 movie, but many R rated movies (saw, hostel etc) would get a game an AO(Adults Only). Game ratings on average are more conservative then movie ratings.

Posted on Nov 7, 2010 10:04:04 PM PST
Has the OP made a decision yet? I am sure that she has more than enough input in this thread.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2010 2:58:07 AM PST
Mr airsoft says:
well it is up to you maby wait so you can do some reacherch i can tell you that i had gory games when i was 11 and i am not the leas bit descencitized
now halo reach is a great game with all of its features and modes that is not bad at all

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2010 3:02:35 AM PST
Mr airsoft says:
fallout 3 is worese

Posted on Nov 8, 2010 4:25:08 AM PST
here's my suggestion. let him play the games, in reality I don't think they're THAT violent. Online is really the BEST part of gaming nowadays in my opinion. But just don't let him use a headset. That's what my mom did to me when I was younger. At first I was disappointed but then i realized the headsets aren't really necessary. Then just make him mute everybody so he doesn't have to listen to all the trash talking and cousing. It gets pretty bad.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Xbox 360 forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Xbox 360 forum
Participants:  110
Total posts:  148
Initial post:  Nov 5, 2010
Latest post:  Jun 30, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions