Customer Discussions > Xbox 360 forum

Is Call of Duty Black Ops appropriate for an 11 year old.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 148 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 9, 2010 1:20:26 PM PST
M. & S. N. says:
This is the MOST VIOLENT and ADULT Call of Duty yet. Parts of the game are downright disturbing.

If he's not able to get around parental settings and the menu system....Black Ops DOES have a gore and violence setting you can change in the menu system. It doesn't just remove blood, it even changes the cut scenes to less disturbing ones.

Chances are he's smart enough to change it back if he's not monitored.

Just think about that though, the normal game is so graphic, they included an option to ease even an adult player if it is to disturbing for them......let alone a child.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2010 2:49:18 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 25, 2011 8:41:54 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2010 2:51:18 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 25, 2011 8:41:54 AM PDT]

Posted on Nov 9, 2010 3:05:44 PM PST
Acts7 says:
@Dixie Girl
Here's a novel concept:
Rent the game, PLAY IT WITH YOUR SON!

Seriously thats the only way you can make a valid decision.
Every parent has to make their own choices on what they feel is acceptable.

I started my son on video games when he was only a few years old. ... started with the Splinter Cell games where it was more about sneaking around and less about killing.
Something else I've always stressed as an important point is that my son ALWAYS SAYS "my character died" rather than "I died".
Playing with my son has given us so much enjoyment and provided many many teachable moments.

SO...
If you are asking "can I use this game as a baby sitter for my 11 year old to make up for the fact I'm not spending time with him?"
The answer is "N O ! HELL NO! "
BUT
If you're asking is this a game my 11 year old could play with me by his side, I say yes. Play split-screen. Have a blast. Get into his world.
Also if I'm not mistaken the last Tetarych COD (World At War) had the option to turn off the gore ... but I could be mistaken its been a while.

Posted on Nov 12, 2010 7:14:45 PM PST
Magic man says:
try getting your son something else. There are soo many more games out there that are appropriate for an 11 year old.

Posted on Nov 13, 2010 6:32:27 AM PST
Couch says:
If you really want your kid to see graphic images of murdering human beings, then by all means go for it. Don't be surprised when he is incapable of basic human emotion.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2010 6:35:04 AM PST
Couch says:
Well, to be honest, asking if a game like that is acceptable for an eleven year old tends to make you pretty pathetic as a parent. It isn't about protecting your kid from "every little thing," it's about actually being a parent. Violent images affect adults to quite an extent, and the affect on a child is more so. It's irresponsible to expose your kid to things like that just because you have no ball to stand up to them.

Posted on Nov 13, 2010 6:47:37 AM PST
Paco says:
Mature rating. Graphic violence and language during solo campaign is not suitable for an 11 year old. I wouldn't let my child play it if he was 11. I am almost finished with it on veteran difficulty. It's intense. Also, playing multiplayer will subject him to racist, homophobic and other vulgar language. All around, I'd say, make him wait but I also believe that your eleven year old has heard bad language and seen some form of violence via entertainment sources. It's a mature game with some very graphic moments and a boat load of action. Caution is important, I think but I know he probably wants it bad.

Posted on Nov 14, 2010 9:52:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2010 9:53:47 AM PST
Acts7 says:
Strictly speaking of the multi-player experience:
The content filter changes the game completely. When you shoot someone, then just fall down.
Its no different at that point than playing cops and robbers or cowboys and indians with plastic toy guns.
I guarantee others will disagree with me. But if you stop for a moment and think ... its the same thing.
So you have to make the call if you would allow your child to play cops and robbers with plastic cap guns.
Again this game should not be used as a baby sitter but if you play it with your child, with the content filter on it can be really enjoyable experience.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2010 10:40:32 AM PST
It is pretty violent but you can turn graphic content down and if you don't want them talking to strangers while playing online you can mute all other players. I'd say watch some youtube clips of gameplay to see for yourself how violent it is

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2010 10:58:21 AM PST
Boricuarx7 says:
on the game menu you can opt out of more graphic intense scenes. online gaming your subjected to varied types, i mute most crass players.. like la creme mentioned u can set to Family community...thats the one good thing about the 360... i have both systems.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2010 12:38:05 PM PST
Not a good idea on either game. Especially if he plays online.

Posted on Nov 14, 2010 1:46:43 PM PST
Laura says:
I am thinking about getting my son an Xbox 360 with Halo Reach for his thirteenth birthday. I was reading this for advice. Not really sure what I am going to do. A neighbor down the street only lets her son play this on the weekends. I am thinking of doing this to limit his exposure but I just don't know. The feedback was mixed here.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2010 2:23:20 PM PST
G. Allen says:
Look, there is a part in the game where a guy breaks off a piece of glass from a broken window, shoves it in another guys mouth, then proceeds to punch him in the face. This is after you have killed literally hundreds of people. I know it's hard because the other parents let their kids play call of duty and you don't want your kid to be left out, but that is no reason to expose your child to this type of violence at an early age. I am a gamer and a parent (all my children are 6 and under) and I feel that it is important to really limit or restrict exposing your children to any kind of violence, video game or otherwise. If you let your 11 year old play games like this you should really take a long look at your role as a parent. It's rated M for mature for a reason.

Posted on Nov 15, 2010 7:44:16 AM PST
I won't even let my children WATCH the single player campaign. In the first 5 minutes of the game you strangle a man to death, assassinate a man in the first 10-15 minutes, and several times you will violently stab a man until he dies.

That said, you should be aware that there is an option to turn this ultra violence off, for the campaign. It will remove certain scenes, actions from the campaign, making it "more friendly" but I cannot say I would let my 11 year old play it even then.

The multiplayer on the other hand, is nothing to violent PROVIDED that you do not give him access to a mic. If he has watched Rambo he has seen ten times the blood he will experience in an hour of online play.

Posted on Nov 15, 2010 8:11:26 AM PST
Miss Lexi says:
I wold definitely say NO for an 11 year old unless you are ok with them seeing the gore and violence (including dismemberment), as well as hearing the F word several times throughout the game among other violent language. Personally I wouldn't let my children play it...for us grown ups (after the kiddos are in bed) it's all kinds of fun though. But the zombie part even gives me nightmares.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2010 10:38:06 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 25, 2011 8:42:54 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2010 11:28:25 AM PST
This game is not for kids. The campaign has some pretty violent scenes and a lot of the F word. Multi-player isn't any more violent than any other first person shooter, but I would set your parental controls to not allow voice chat. Lots of foul language... even from youngsters using the F-word, which is sad. If you're on the fence, my recommendation is to rent the game and supervise him playing. That way, if you think it's inappropriate for him, you take the game back and only loose a few bucks in rental fees, instead of $60.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2010 11:32:45 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 25, 2011 8:42:58 AM PDT]

Posted on Nov 15, 2010 12:46:58 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 15, 2010 12:54:36 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 16, 2010 2:11:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2010 3:04:56 PM PST
Kalidas says:
I have a 10, 8 and 6 yo kids. I myself am an avid gamer and the more violent the game, the better it is (for me). I have let my kids play games, starting with the Wii, but for the last 1 year, they have been avid Halo fans. I let them play Halo 3 and I let them play Halo Reach. Yes, both games are rated M, but in reality, there is no bad language in the games, the violence is cartoon violence, and is comparible to Star Wars and the clone Wars. I let them play online, and they both have parental locks, so they do not hear what other say online, and I control who their friends are. The biggest reason why I let them play is because the game is unrealistic. The game allows their imagaination to flow, they love Halo megablocks, and play with the little halo figurines. They read the Halo Universe encyclopedia, and at times lecture me about the different vehicles, ships etc. It brings back of memories of star wars when I was their age.

CoD on the other hand, I draw the line. There are extreme mature themes, the violence is extremely realistic, and that is the problem. Gears of War is an extremely violent game, but the humor is that it is over the top violent, with chain-saw bayonnets, heads exploding body parts flying all over the place, ridiculously unrealistic, that and adult can laugh at the violence. I do not let my kids play that game either, but I would almost let them play Gears of War before Call of Dudy.

I have played every CoD on the Xbox. CoD 2 has a similar scene to Saving Private Ryan, where you land at Normandy and take the beaches. The violence is the same. Would you let your 11 year old watch Saving Private Ryan? Would you let you 11 year old watch Apocalyps Now, Platoon, Hamburger Hill, etc, etc.? The CoD games are very similar to these types of movies. CoD 4 has th escene of your character slowly dies following the nuclear explosion, and scenes smimilar to the movie Black Hawk down, CoD5 has the extreme violence in taking Berlin, violence in the south Pacific with the Japanses, CoD6 has the violent airport scene, etc. They are too realistic and more than the actual violence of headshots, dismemberment, etc, it is the violent themes that I do not want my kids to be exposed to. In my opinion 10-11 is too young because they are incabable of dissociating these themes from reality.

My kids are funny, in that on one hand, they are not scared of Lord of the Rings movies, but are exteremely scared of the Mummy movies (Brandon Frazier). They watch with me Stargate, and have no issues, but then get upset watching Independance day. What could be perceived are reality gets them more upset/afraid than what seems sci-fi (star wars has a lot of violence, but because there are aliens, they seem unrealistic).

If you would let your kids watch violent war movies like I mentioned above, then I suppose CoD would be no different.

Posted on Nov 16, 2010 2:13:08 PM PST
K. Carmack says:
Regarding Black Ops, I would say to wait until at least the age of 13 (depending on the maturity level of the kid). There is a great chance to learn about history (Cold War, etc.). However, the game does have a lot of violence/brutality (deserving the ESRB's rating of "M") and people online use profanities/name calling like they're going out of style. Between these 2, the child may not be able to fully handle it (especially the viciousness of the online community from some peers who think COD is their sole purpose in life).

Posted on Nov 16, 2010 3:27:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2010 3:31:54 PM PST
Games like Gears of War 2 COD MWF2 and Black Ops all have a prompt that will let you choose how much "mature matter" you would like to see during Gameplay. In Black Ops in the unfiltered campaign mode, it was pretty graphic. Im sure you can turn the violence down in the settings.

WHether he plays online the easiest way to make sure he doesnt hear others saying vulgar things, just use the parental controls or make sure he doesnt have a mic.

My best advice is to rent it and make sure all settings are kid appropriate, and watch him play.

Campaign wouldnt take a kid too long to play.

I play online with my two boys (7 and 10). They love the game. They only get to play multiplayer with me, and im the one with the mic on. They never get to use the mic. So they never here what anyone else is saying.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2010 7:25:32 AM PST
Max says:
Yeah great advice from the 15 year old about what an 11 year old can play. LOL!

Posted on Nov 17, 2010 7:27:17 AM PST
Max says:
I don't think it matters as long as you talk to your child and teach him the difference between glorified war on tv and in video games and the REAL violence and death in real war.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Xbox 360 forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Xbox 360 forum
Participants:  110
Total posts:  148
Initial post:  Nov 5, 2010
Latest post:  Jun 30, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions