Customer Discussions > Xbox 360 forum

Is Call of Duty Black Ops appropriate for an 11 year old.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 148 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 30, 2014 4:59:11 PM PDT
Zeus Carver says:
The earlier Call of Duty games were rated T for Teen. Also I'm replying to a 4 year old thread. Enjoy your Xbox gaming kids!

Posted on Jun 30, 2014 4:54:45 PM PDT
Goku says:
Yep it's perfect for all ages i've been playing call of duty and mortal kombat and GTA since I was 4 years old and I turned out great.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2014 2:52:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 30, 2014 3:17:19 PM PDT
Tyme Shelton says:
Strong language is offline. Yes some people do swear online but they can be muted if you're worried about that. Call of Duty isn't that bad of a game, you can turn off the graphic content if you want so you really don't have anything to worry about. $60 is what all new games cost so don't worry about that, when the next one comes out the price should go down by at least 45%. It's a great game. I'd say start a 12 year old off with some T shooters, and if they do fine with those then let them play CoD and Battlefield. If you're that worried about blood make sure he doesnt cut himself and know what he is made of.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2014 5:02:36 PM PST
J.B. Taylor says:
It's rated M for Mature for a reason. It's bad. It has cursing, blood, gore, gratuitous violence etc. etc. No kid should play this game.

Posted on Mar 1, 2014 10:37:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 1, 2014 10:38:46 AM PST
I agree with Seth, J. Waldvogel, and Modern Bear; A kid that young should not be playing most M rated games. Halo is ok offline, but online you start to hear all these vular words and even racial comments you really have to do the research and make the best judgement. A good example was when I was at Gamestop one day and this mom wanted to buy Dante 's Inferno for her 13 year old and the cashier told her it was not the right game for that age group. I'd started playing M games when I was in junior high, but even then my mom was always cautious on what I played. I'm in my late twenties and I have a lot more integrity than I used to when I was thirteen I play games like halo(online), Call of duty, Dishonored, Gears of war, and grand theft auto to know the effect it can have on kids at a young age.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2014 10:05:42 PM PST
B.L. says:
As I recall, there's a setting, but you have to turn it off to play online (Zombies, Multiplayer). The online co-op play is what most kids want from the game, so that kinda defeats the purpose somewhat :-\

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2014 1:38:36 PM PST
Are there parental controls for the language and blood on Call of Duty?

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 7:33:42 PM PST
No this is not appropriate for your child to play, besides the blood an violence, there's swearing including the F-bomb, not to mention that people online can cuss you out too. So be a smart parent and wait until they're older to play these games it's M for mature which is 17+ and minors can't even buy this game.

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 5:21:02 PM PST
nooo says:
Games---Movies
M-------------R
T---------PG-13
E10----------PG
E-------------G

I think ESRB should have just copied the MPAA's lettering system

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 9:41:28 AM PST
Wow, what a long thread... liza: this discussion is still alive, because other people has come here for the same reason.

I particularly ended up here while trying to find out whether or not to allow my kid to play Halo games (from CE to 4), after reading through all of this, and weighting his reactions to movies and other games, I came up to the conclusion that he is mature enough to play Halo games, however, I wouldn't allow him to do so alone either I play with him, or I'm in the same room while he plays (he is just 10 after all).

Now, I wouldn't allow him to play CoD and thus I don't play it either.....

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 6:15:38 PM PST
liza says:
I hope you guys know, that she already made her decision and is not coming back. so why are people still responding to this thread?...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 1:32:59 PM PST
Agreed, that's why I play Blops against CPU's.

Unfortuantely, a former friend of mine wanted me to play against humans, when I hate the CoD community.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013 9:21:35 PM PST
Noble Seven says:
But Combat Training is a nice alternitive instead of playing online besides I have been playing Black ops because of this and I heard that Black ops 2 also has it.

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 10:53:59 AM PST
As someone who was thirteen when BO came out, I think I can put my two cents on this.

First, this game is rated "M" for mature, meaning that your child has to be mature enough to not act like others his age online. You can prevent this by not allowing voice chat.

Second, I would highly recommend that you play the game yourself in order for you to determine if it is appropriate for your child (even though he is now thirteen, the age my parents allowed me to play M-rated games).

Third, please tell him that it is not right to swear at people who are older than him. This is the number one issue most Xbox LIVE/PSN players have with the CoD community, and it's the SOLE REASON WHY I DON'T PLAY COD ONLINE, BECAUSE OF PEOPLE WHO ACT LIKE THEY ARE "DA BOSS"!!! IF he behaves like this, take the game away from him. since you brought it.

(Can apply to Black Ops 2)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2013 3:11:39 PM PST
Noble Seven says:
No MW2 has a prompt to skip the No Russin level.

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 4:44:35 PM PST
Halo yes, thats an 11 year olds game anyways but black ops in the campaign alone there if actually some bad language (at times very bad) and some gruesome stuff, not the bloodiest but still. And online play is a hit or miss language wise either you get trash, squekers, or trolls. But there is a "reduce graphic content" setting on there so that would be fine without blood and the f word every five minutes but other than that go ahead and get it for him just make sure that setting is on and you'll be fine.

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 5:07:35 PM PST
N. Rios says:
Why not? My 7 year old cousin plays it. I know you are being a good parent but a video game will not make someone go killing or anything else the liberal media wants to make you believe. He is going to be exposed of it later on anyway. I got my first Call of Duty (World at War) when I was 11. You have to understand a game, how many times have you watched an R-rated movie with your son? The game curses probably 2 times times the storyline, all you do is kill bad guys, the "gore" that everybody talks about is not even that bad. Heck why are people even worried about blood?!? To answer your question, is it appropriate, no. I'm 16 and it is supposedly not appropriate to me until I am 17. The majority of people playing online is around 12-15 age range. The game is just a game, don't worry about him being influenced by it to do bad things unless he has a severe mental disorder. Just my $0.02 cents

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 5:21:42 PM PST
Jared says:
no

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 8:21:07 AM PST
I wouldn't let an 11-year-old play Call of Duty.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 6:21:37 PM PST
Brandon says:
Wow, not sure why we got in to a parenting discussion here. Look, the call of duty games aren't really appropriate for kids. Violence, language, not really 'gory' but there is blood and stuff. I would advise you not to go there with him for another couple of years. I don't have kids, but I suppose I would consider allowing COD at 16 or so.

Posted on Jan 13, 2013 2:50:48 PM PST
nufrequency says:
Rated M for mature go figure !

Posted on Jan 13, 2013 1:55:20 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 15, 2013 7:33:53 PM PDT]

Posted on Jan 13, 2013 8:49:25 AM PST
AKey says:
I couldn't agree more. Thank you for your post. I thought to myself, "this (previous sanctimonious arse) is someone without children." I am here, too, because my 9 year old wants to play this game, though NOT online. We don't have XBox live. I am not asking anyone to make my decision for me, but am "researching" what others, who have played the game, think. It is hard enough to be a parent today and trying to get a little outside help on gathering information is just one resource for trying my best to stay up on the technological advancements of today and interests of my children. I really appreciate those who have given alternative game suggestions as well as links to provide even more information. It's nice to know there are people out there willing to take time out of their lives to inform very naive parents like myself. Thanks again!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 8:42:43 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 13, 2013 8:50:31 AM PST]

Posted on Mar 2, 2011 12:46:30 PM PST
Edward Webb says:
My gf lets her son play shooters online. A couple of days ago he was playing Black Ops and she heard him yell "F***ING PIECE OF S**T!" from the other room. Guess what? He's not playing it, now. I think that a lot of thought went into rating these games, and the rule is that you should follow the rating suggestions, but the exception is that if you ignore the rule, have a reason why. I see no reason for anyone under 17 to be playing COD. Or watching Saving Private Ryan.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Xbox 360 forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Xbox 360 forum
Participants:  110
Total posts:  148
Initial post:  Nov 5, 2010
Latest post:  Jun 30, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions