Customer Discussions > Xbox 360 forum

Is Call of Duty Black Ops appropriate for an 11 year old.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 148 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 20, 2010 10:01:59 AM PST
Let Them Play it, Or Try and make them think the world is a safe place, when they get old and move out, they get taken advantage of.

Posted on Nov 20, 2010 10:15:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2010 10:17:35 AM PST
I play this game with my 8 and 10 year old. They know the difference between gaming and real world. The language is nothing they haven't heard in school.

Posted on Nov 21, 2010 9:29:31 PM PST
Modern Bear says:
I don't know why people are still arguing in this thread. The original poster already posted two weeks ago that she wasn't going to let her kid have the game. Besides there are better games you can spend the $60 on. I got it from GameFly and have been playing the single player campaign (she said her kid was only allowed to play offline anyway) and I'm not that impressed. It's not horrible or anything but I feel Halo Reach's campaign is worlds better and would be more kid friendly anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2010 7:29:27 AM PST
we let our 9 yr old play with his older brother but he is not allowed on the live platform. Our son is also an avid Military channel and WWII fan. Most of his friends are also allowed to play...I always check with his friends parents before letting them play and most have it at home as well.

Posted on Nov 23, 2010 5:49:07 PM PST
B. Stewart says:
I wouldnt let him. The game starts off in a gruesome torture room where your body is all bloody and chemicals are getting exposed to your brain to help jog your memory. That pretty much sets the tone of the game. Oh and the 2nd level prison break where the giant guy stabs a guard through the chest with a giant axe and holds him up while blood flies out of him.

Posted on Nov 24, 2010 1:37:02 PM PST
depends... do you let your kid watch semi realistic animated characters electrocute and torture eachother.... just saying...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2010 4:11:32 PM PST
Gordon says:
It has some nasty language and violence at times. I think halo reach would be better for a younger kid. I dont own an xbox but I do have black ops. They do have an option for graphic content, although I am not sure if it pertains to multi player. seth romo is right, people use pretty bad language online and you can mute, but there should be an option to mute all. The mp game violence is not bad, its just the language online.

Posted on Dec 22, 2010 1:52:17 PM PST
R. Fulford says:
I actually play this game with my 10 year old son and occasionally 12 and 13 year old daughters.

Just play ONLINE and play WITH your son. This way you can mute the gutter trash and prevent him from hearing a single swear word. That is, until you get REALLY into it during a close game and someone snipes you RIGHT BEFORE you capture an objective and then they knife you in the back as SOON as you respawn. Then you'll have to censor yourself :P

Anyway, yeah the single player is pretty harsh for an 11 year old kid - even one that watches things like Family Guy or American Dad while at a friends house and you don't know about it...

Posted on Dec 22, 2010 4:28:51 PM PST
Halo Reach is definitely less violent than Call of Duty. There is minimal blood and I have never heard a curse word coming from the computer players. If you're worried about getting him a violent game between the two I would get him Halo.

Posted on Dec 27, 2010 6:19:33 PM PST
Edward Webb says:
Personally, I don't allows you to shoot a "person" should be accessible to kids 13 or younger. Shoot an alien or something, that's different. I feel that way about games that are only rated "T", too. James Bond let you shoot human enemies point blank in the face but got a "T" rating because there was no blood. If Black Ops violent? Yes, extremely violent. It's up to you to decide if your kid can handle it. I don't think any of them can, but I'm not your kids' parent - you are.

Posted on Feb 22, 2011 5:22:03 AM PST
David says:
No, for the love of God, no. This is WAY to violent for 11 year olds, and come to think of it, any smart and knowledgable Xbox LIVE gamer hates anyone that sounds like Justin Bieber or sounds annoying in general.

Posted on Feb 22, 2011 5:35:31 AM PST
No...the last thing online gaming needs is another 11 year old...

The game is not too violent, but biggest draw is going to be the online multiplayer in which some of the most awful things are said.

Posted on Feb 22, 2011 6:48:54 AM PST
Acts7 says:
I'll resay what I said before.
If you're worried about online language, turn the voice down all the way.
Do not give your kid a headset.
In the game turn violent content setting to "no do not show graphic content"
And your kid will have a blast.
The only thing that happens when someone gets shot is they fall down. At that point its no different than cops and robbers.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2011 10:01:55 AM PST
actually games don't do that to kids, kids can just have problems like that. I have been playing games ever since i was 13 years old, and believe me, that kid has ISSUES!!!! But on the other hand I still wouldn't allow an eleven year old to play this game or any other M rated game, simply because it's rated M for 17 yrs and older. Its already bad enough that the government censors everything that can be put into a game( but any other type of media they don't touch), all because of a few bad kids who couldn't handle the content in the game. Yet, I don't solely blame the kid, I also put fault on the parent because they could have done their job as a parent and controlled what their child did.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2011 10:25:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 22, 2011 10:25:46 AM PST
Acts7 says:
Regarding 007 allowing you to shoot point blank in the face...
Then it IS no different than Black Ops
IFF (if and only if) you turn off graphic content.
I've played the game both ways.
PS3 with graphic content.
XB360 without
and there is a HUGE difference.

Posted on Feb 25, 2011 7:44:18 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 25, 2011 7:46:18 AM PST]

Posted on Feb 26, 2011 10:05:43 PM PST
When I was younger (6-7) my first experience with video games was playing Halo 1 and 2 on the original Xbox. I played the campaign and local multiplayer with my (much older) cousins and it was the highlight of my year. Now I'm in my teens and have Halo Reach and enjoy it. If one of my preteen friends come over I would let them play due to the low intensity of Halo (I also waited before getting my own mic till my voice changed). So if I were you I'd let him get Halo. Black Ops on the other hand is an extremely violent and bloody. I consider it a poorly made game and would suggest Battlefield: Bad Co. 1 (#2 is rated M) as it is rated 2 and is a great game. The final decision is yours as a parent though in the end your kids future, at least for right now, is in your hands.

Posted on Feb 27, 2011 8:07:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 27, 2011 8:10:12 AM PST
Jon Irenicus says:
Yes. Then top off the day with Platoon, Apocalypse Now, Saving Private Ryan, Full Metal Jacket, and finally Schindler's List. If you're going to get him a Mature rated game, then make sure it's story based so he's actually getting something out of it aside from a mindless shooter addiction. If any of those movies are inappropriate for your child, then definitely don't get him a game that makes war "fun". The worst thing I saw when I was going through MEPS was when a group of potential soldiers, marines, and sailors started talking about how they wanted to kill some towelheads and then simultaneously started talking about the new COD game... If your child likes shooters, get him something story driven and relatively complex like Mass Effect or Half-Life 2 (The Orange Box).

To simplify and answer your question directly, Halo Reach is less violent and intense than COD: Black Ops.

Posted on Feb 27, 2011 9:58:50 AM PST
Rex says:
Dixie,

Here's a solution for you: rent it from your nearest video store, or from one of the online commodities. Play the campaign (without your son present), and then play it online. This will let you see exactly what this game presents to your son.

It is very violent. I have an 8 year-old daughter and a 4 year-old son, neither of which are allowed to come into my game room when I am playing ANY Call of Duty game, or anything similar. They have a Wii for a good reason. I am not overly-protective of my children, as I don't want them to grow up naive, but I do not expose them to things like this while they are still so young. At 11, I would absolutely not buy either of my children an M-rated game for any system, much like I would not lt them watch a horror movie.

He is going to be into WW-II stuff, given that most schools expose students to this era around that time, and later. But Black Ops is not the sort of thing that even high schools introduce with regards to the Vietnam era.

As I stated earlier, play the game yourself, and make the decision for yurself. It is very violent, and the zombie portions are particularly involved and graphic. While I love playing the game myself, I don't think any kid under 16 should play this game. Your call.

Good for you for asking!

I hope this helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2011 10:14:34 AM PST
Rex says:
If you have not played the campaign on Black Ops, you should not even be posting in this thread. Your input regarding the original question is irrelevant.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2011 12:08:14 PM PST
A question that a responsible parent wouldn't even ask because they would already know the answer. Looks like you've already opened the can of worms of what he has already been exposed to though. Why not right, along with a carton of Marlboro's and a case of Keystone, a couple of bong hits, and a few guns in the trailer without a gun lock or safe.

Posted on Feb 27, 2011 7:32:04 PM PST
Pat Kelly says:
sure, don't get your kid this game. he'll become a serial killer if you do. but really, TV uses worse words, shows more graphic stuff. this game is kinda lame compared to intense games i've played. but yeah, let your kid get made fun of for not being allowed to play a video game. his friends will all have it, none of them will turn out any worse. besides, the world is like this. what difference does it make when he learns how the world really is? why make him wait for him to know what bad words are and blood is? you're a bad parent for thinking that this is too harsh for him. stupid uptight people...

Posted on Feb 28, 2011 3:33:34 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 9, 2011 1:33:40 PM PDT]

Posted on Mar 2, 2011 12:46:30 PM PST
Edward Webb says:
My gf lets her son play shooters online. A couple of days ago he was playing Black Ops and she heard him yell "F***ING PIECE OF S**T!" from the other room. Guess what? He's not playing it, now. I think that a lot of thought went into rating these games, and the rule is that you should follow the rating suggestions, but the exception is that if you ignore the rule, have a reason why. I see no reason for anyone under 17 to be playing COD. Or watching Saving Private Ryan.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 8:42:43 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 13, 2013 8:50:31 AM PST]
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Xbox 360 forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Xbox 360 forum
Participants:  110
Total posts:  148
Initial post:  Nov 5, 2010
Latest post:  27 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions