Customer Discussions > Xbox 360 forum

Old 250G drive fit current Xbox?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 28, 2012 7:18:24 AM PST
ShoppingGeek says:
My old Xbox 360 seems to have died. (Center light comes on but ring light for the controller never comes on. Doesn't appear to read CD.)

I originally bought a 4G Xbox and added a 250G drive later. Before buying a replacement Xbox, can anyone tell me for sure if the old drive will fit on the newer Xbox?

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 7:48:37 AM PST
No. It is an internal hard drive. There are videos showing how to remove the hard drive from the old external unit and place it into the new slims.

I had three of these old xboxes go bad on me for various reasons (E76 error, rings of death, DVD failed). I had these units throughout the house and would just move the hard drive.

You can't do that with the new ones. I think you have to use a flash drive to transfer data.

Going through the same thing.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 1:17:21 PM PST
ShoppingGeek says:
Thanks for the tip. I checked videos on Youtube and a lot of people are saying that putting the old HD into the newer Xbox messed up their Xbox.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 4:49:39 PM PST
you can either use this:
Xbox 360 Hard Drive Transfer Cable

or you can do it with a flash drive like Michael said

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 6:53:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2012 6:54:55 PM PST
ShoppingGeek says:
I was talking about physically moving an old 250G HD into a new Xbox, not just transferring data over.

Amazon has a "Holiday Value Bundle" for $249 with 250G HD and Skyrim (which I've been wanting) and Forza. For $50 more than the 4G model, this seems like a pretty good deal so I ordered it and I'm not going to worry about the old HD.

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 10:37:30 AM PST
crazydavey69 says:
Yes, you can use your old hard drive. My son's fat 360 died so I had to make a midnight run to Walmart for a new 4g slim. I opened up the 120gig case, pulled the drive and slipped it right into the new slim xbox. Fits like a glove with no case, and have been using it this way for over 6 months now. It does not require any formatting or anything, as it is already done. Keep your same id and everything, just as if you were playing on the old system.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0xa84b8c90)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Xbox 360 forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Nov 28, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 8, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions