Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Lori Mckenna Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > Xbox 360 forum

any kinect movement games for people who have to sit?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 14, 2012 10:25:09 AM PDT
I'm going to be unable to walk for a year. Are there any kinect games for exercise for upper body or sitting?

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 8:42:54 AM PDT
K. Taylor says:
Hi Diann, sorry to hear about that. My husband has had a similar issue (and is getting better).

Microsoft lists some games here: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/kinect/body-tracking/accessibility-kinect#90534d73446143869ea1f6710b4767e1
Note they provide an email address to direct specific questions to MS staff.

Of the games they suggest, the only one we own is Forza Motorsport. I suggest that you don't buy it. It doesn't seem to track the steering wheel movements too well. We haven't tried the others on that list, but have found this:

Kinect Sports : ping pong

Kinect body and brain : many games are arm-only, and some might work if you have a little leg movement and can sit in a chair. Highly recommended; your physical issues will also cause neurological ones and this helps combat both fronts.

Disneyland adventures: All games can be played with a partner, while you get all the points. We navigate through them side by side, with me doing the jumping when required. Some games, for instance Nemo, require no legs at all. Some require you to lean.

Push the limit Michael Phelps: Push the Limit
I watched some demos on youtube and this looks like a great upper body workout. We have not tried it yet.

This is off the top of my head; I'll post more as we experiment and learn. We've only been playing for a few weeks, but overall I'm delighted with kinect and its ability to help with physical and mental therapy.

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 11:14:15 AM PDT
Thanks so much, that will give me a start. I've been putting off buying one because I was afraid I couldn't do the movement stuff and that's what I really wanted it for. I think I'll go ahead now, no use to get more out of shape! Please check back if you try any others.

Posted on Sep 15, 2012 3:25:55 PM PDT
K. Taylor says:
Hi, I just learned a little more, and wanted to offer three more ideas:

one report that the wheelchair won't recognize the person
http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/11/p/281378/1471451.aspx#1471451

But others in a wheelchair have definitely reported success with these:
JUST DANCE 3 works perfectly well as you can play only with arms if you want.
KINECT ADVENTURE: a big massive no no( doesn t recognise us).
DR KAWASHIMA S BODY AND BRAIN: most of the game on it can be played also it s more difficult to be recognise but i manage it.
MOTION SPORT ADRENALINE: some sports are ok, knowing that you can t just and stuff so you do loose point in that way, unfortunately one sport which could have been great for us( kayak) is not possible as the kinect think that you bend your knee and the kayak is constantly upside down.
SONIC FREE RIDER: just tried the demo and i managed it
Adventures, Fruit Ninja, East of Eden, Gunstringer
Gun Stringer works well enough but becomes boring very quickly.
Fruit Ninja is by far my favorite.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=171753

Once you have your xbox/kinect, download game demos for free to see what works. You will need to create an online account (free) to do this, and have your console connected to the internet. Start here:
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Games/GameDemos?page=1&pagesize=90

Body and Brain is $10 free shipping from microsoftstore.com . Also see http://slickdeals.net/f/5195312-Xbox-360-4GB-Gaming-System-with-Kinect-Sensor-Bar-Microsoft-Refurbished-for-200-10-54-ship-or-tax-for-in-store-PU

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 7:22:27 AM PDT
Spudkitty says:
Sorry to hear about your upcoming incapacity, DT. Don't worry so much about Kinect ... there are some awesome video games to play out there that don't use Kinect. Plus many will cause you to throw the controller, which is definitely good arm exercise.

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 11:36:02 PM PDT
Child of Eden. I even have seen on YouTube that the reviewer played the game all sitting down.

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 10:02:38 PM PDT
B. C. says:
This is really late, but I'm pretty sure Fable The Journey is all sitting down. I watched a playthrough and never saw any indication you had to stand up.

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 12:20:47 PM PDT
Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. I've gotten a couple of games started and am just figuring out the learning curve, not having gamed before. I think some of the games on adventure I might be able to do and I'll update on here later as I figure it out. I ordered fruit ninja today as a lot of folks thing it's fun, so wish me luck!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2012 4:08:30 PM PDT
K. Taylor says:
Fruit ninja is *awesome* for arms-only exercise! We just got it recently and are really happy with it.

Gunstringer, which we ordered as a double-deal with Fruit Ninja, is also arms-only. It's wickedly funny, but not as much of an exercise game; more an entertainment game that challenges your left/right hand coordination.

We've also been playing Rapala, a fishing game. It is mostly arms + leaning, but now and then they throw in a "stand on one leg" challenge. You can still play through that. It's not as enticing a game as Fruit Ninja but was on sale for $10. and worth that price.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Xbox 360 forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Xbox 360 forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Sep 14, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 25, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions