Customer Discussions > Xbox 360 forum

PS3 or Xbox 360?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 710 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 24, 2012 2:53:07 PM PDT
So I'm thinking of finally upgrading to the newest generation of video games, I need some input on which to get, and which version. I'm curious what people think would be the best fit given what I do and don't want in a system:
Things I care about:
Price: I want the price to be fairly low, I'm not looking to spend more than $200-$250
Backwards Compatibility
Free Online (I know it's better, but I won't pay for Xbox Live)
Graphics
I play a lot of sports games, and some RPGs and other assorted things. Not really into 1st person shooters like Halo or Call of Duty
I'm considering both the old and new versions of each console, so I'd appreciate opinions on those as well.

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 3:29:43 PM PDT
Vita

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 4:21:21 PM PDT
Prod7 says:
Well i would say xbox because , its alot better in terms of online and for a person who likes acheivements like me its more rewarding than trophies ect.Xbox games for the most part seem to be better than that of PS3 with the exception of a few.But for free online i think thats being done with all the way around.Better get yourself a Wii for that.As well as lately alot of the good games that are coming out now are getting really bad reviews on the PS3 console and 4's and 5's on the xbox. I cant tell you what to buy but here is my opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 4:54:14 PM PDT
Joel H. says:
Bait.. not bait.. at 4:50 idc.

You sir just unknowingly expressed your desire for a ps3.

Price- Right NOWWW you can get a NEW PS3 160gb AND A GAME!! for the low low price of $199! That's a bonus 156gb!! No flash drive required!

PS3 also lets you complete the campaign of a game on 1 disc! Crazy!

It's got blu-ray. Tell the girl at best buy you're looking for blu-rays. It instantly makes you more attractive.

Online that's free.. Netflix behind a pay wall is a joke.

Not really into FPS? FPS are the reason 360 is popular. It's got a FPS controller, better matchmaking for FPS, and you can do cross game chat so you can chat with hot guys online. Oh and a mic is included with 360! And it's as tragic as it sounds.

But here's the bottom line. Ps3 has the majority of 360's games that are worth playing, so the ps3 library just destroys 360s. Xbots will talk about better multiplats blah blah. If you have anything else in your life, you won't notice nor care.

You can't go a month without a new RETAIIILLLL ps3 exclusive being released. 360 mainly has sidescrollers and shovelware. Witcher 2 looks good, but it's on pc. 360 has lost it's support for core games and is a dying console with 720 coming out next year. Not a hard choice.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 5:10:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 25, 2012 9:17:30 AM PDT
"As well as lately alot of the good games that are coming out now are getting really bad reviews on the PS3 console and 4's and 5's on the xbox."

I'm looking at metacritic and gamerankings right now, and that's just downright not true.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 5:27:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 29, 2012 7:05:32 AM PDT
"Price: I want the price to be fairly low, I'm not looking to spend more than $200-$250"

Both consoles can be found for around that price range.

"Backwards Compatibility"

Some of the original fat PS3 models have both PS1 and PS2 disc based backwards compatibility whereas the slim models only have PS1 backwards disc based compatibility. The 360 has disc based backwards compatible to most original Xbox games.

"Free Online (I know it's better, but I won't pay for Xbox Live)"

I have a Gold subscription, and absolutely nothing makes either online service fundamentally better than the other. They both get hacked (haven't you heard of Major Nelson, the incident with the stolen xbox live arcade software, the Fifa account hacks, Live going down twice last September and once again before the dashboard update, and the multiple account hacks that had nothing to do with phishing schemes or anything of the sort?), slow down with lots of traffic, they lag as much, cross game voice party chat is a useless feature that does nothing but destroy teamwork and coordination in multiplayer since no one switches their channels to game chat, the 360 has more ads than PSN or Steam, PSN allows you to acces Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, NHL, MLB, Quriocity, etc. just as well without having to get a premium subscription like you have to in the 360, and PSN and Steam have more dedicated servers than Live, so really, what's the point of paying $60 a year for a useless communication feature and sub-par P2P connection?

People argue that the 360 has slightly more apps, but the things is that most of them require a gold account as well as subscription fees for the other service if there are any, and pretty much all of the apps that the 360 has that the PS3 doesn't have on its homepage can be accessed trough the PS3 browser, so in that respect, the PS3 does have more apps. Even if it were a fact that Xbox Live is truly better, since when is online multiplayer more integral than the games themselves? Besides, if you really aren't paying for Live, then there really is almost no point in getting a 360 IMO.

"Graphics"

Most multiplats perform and look slightly better on the 360 (with some exceptions being Final Fantasy XIII, L.A. Noire, Devil May Cry 4, Battlefield 3, Darksiders, Just Cause 2, Saint's Row the Third, BioShock, Oblivion, Mass Effect 2, Portal 2, the Assassin's Creed titles, Vanquish, and Dark Souls), but PS3 exclusives have the best graphics on consoles IMO. They look better than anything on the 360. Besides, when a multiplatform game is better looking on one platform, the differences are almost always minimal.

"I play a lot of sports games, and some RPGs and other assorted things. Not really into 1st person shooters like Halo or Call of Duty"

Have you ever tried Halo out? You might end up liking it, but considering how much more variety the PS3 library has in terms of big name releases compared to the 360, it sounds like the PS3 would be the better option for you.

"I'm considering both the old and new versions of each console, so I'd appreciate opinions on those as well."

I have both a 360 S and a PS3 slim. I barely use my 360 anymore. IMO, the PS3 has the overall superior game library, media functionality, and full-featuredness compared to the 360. You really shouldn't be asking questions like these in the 360 or PS3 forums though. You're bound to get biased answers from the respective communities. Neither console is fundamentally better than the other. It's a matter of personal opinion. Also, have you considered getting a Wii U instead?

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 10:58:30 PM PDT
Pick 34 says:
Ps3 by far. More games, just in your price range (gamestop had them for $200 with a free game) free online, more games, and blu ray.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 3:52:53 AM PDT
Well your choice would likely be PS3 since that gives you free online service. Unless you have the first PS3 though you won't get backwards compatibility since the slim PS3 isn't backwards compatible and the Xbox 360 only plays certain designated Xbox titles. Graphics wise though both the PS3 and Xbox 360 are the same.

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 8:24:13 AM PDT
Don't bother reading these other peoples comments because they are most likely fans of one console and will bad talk the other.

I own xbox360, and iv owned ps3 2 times.
Ps3 i found has a lot better single player games than xbox does. Heavy Rain on ps3 is one of the greatest games iv played. Killzone3 also has a great story.
But ps3 doesn't match xbox's multiplayer. xbox owners get demos earlier, extra add ons first, and it just runs smoother.
Xbox controllers feel better and wont cramp your hand when your playing like ps3 controllers do.

Get Ps3 if you want free but basic online, with great single player games but laggy online and not of people play online. When call of duty black ops came out in 2010 3million people were on it on xbox, 600,000 were on it on ps3.

Get Xbox if you want to pay for online, but get so much more out of it. Plus xbox has a ton of new apps. Not sure if you listen to music, but you cant play a game and listen to music at the same time on the ps3 but you can on xbox. For me thats the main reason i sold my ps3 and got a xbox.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 9:07:02 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 25, 2012 11:21:10 AM PDT
XBL and PSN both use P2P so if its laggy then it is you (internet connection) or the host...not the network. Blkops on PS3 sold about 2.5mill less copies than Xbox and they both sold over 10mil so I doubt you or anyone will have a problem finding a game online on the PS3. Nice try

"Don't bother reading these other peoples comments because they are most likely fans of one console and will bad talk the other."

vs

"Get Ps3 if you want free but basic online, with great single player games but laggy online and not of people play online. When call of duty black ops came out in 2010 3million people were on it on xbox, 600,000 were on it on ps3."

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 9:09:49 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 25, 2012 1:06:52 PM PDT
"Don't bother reading these other peoples comments because they are most likely fans of one console and will bad talk the other."

Everyone has their preferences. We're just sharing opinions. I own both consoles so I feel like I have the credibility necessary to make a response.

"Killzone3 also has a great story."

I love Killzone 3, but I'm going to have to disagree with you there....

"But ps3 doesn't match xbox's multiplayer."

How so? I own both and I fail to see the difference other than the obtrusive cross game voice party chat feature of xbox live (although it is easier to join multiplayer games with friends on live).

"xbox owners get demos earlier"

PS3 owners got the demos for Mortal Kombat 9, Dante's Inferno, the Assassin's Creed titles, and other titles before 360 owners. Even so, they largely come out at the same time and the content makes it to both consoles either way, so I don't see how that's such an important argument.

"extra add ons first"

The 360 gets CoD, Bethesda, and Bioare DLC earlier. Meanwhile, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Battlefield 3, Portal 2, Dead Space 2, L.A. Noire, Assassin's Creed 2, Brotherhood, and Revelations, Mafia 2, Red Dead Redemption, BioShock, Star Ocean 4, Eternal Sonata, UFC: Undisputed, and Mortal Kombat 9 all came with exclusive content on the PS3 that's never coming to the 360.

"and it just runs smoother."

Like I mentioned above, I have Live Gold. I don't see it.

"Xbox controllers feel better and wont cramp your hand when your playing like ps3 controllers do."

That's largely dependent on the person. I personally think the 360 controller is slightly more comfortable, but the d-pad (including the revised one) is such a joke that I prefer the DualShock 3 controller.

"Get Ps3 if you want free but basic online, with great single player games but laggy online and not of people play online."

The only instances where PS3 online has been noticeably laggy were with past CoD releases as well as Team Fortress 2 on The Orange Box for the PS3. They really do perform almost exactly the same (after all, they're both just P2P), at least from my experience anyway. Both the 360 and the PS3 have both great online multiplayer games AND great single-player games. It's just a matter of what the person wants to play.

"When call of duty black ops came out in 2010 3million people were on it on xbox, 600,000 were on it on ps3."

Of course the player base is spread more thinly on the PS3. There's more big name titles being released in comparison to the 360. Last year it was just Gears 3 and Forza 4 as well as the multiplats for 360 owners who wanted to get their online multiplayer fix whereas PS3 owners were looking forward to LittleBigPlanet 2, MLB 2011: The Show, Resistance 3, Killzone 3, and Uncharted 3 as well as the multiplats. Does this even matter when it's completely assured that matches will be full either way? I don't think so.

"Get Xbox if you want to pay for online, but get so much more out of it."

Like what?

"Plus xbox has a ton of new apps."

And taking the PS3 browser into account as well as its exclusive apps, the PS3 has more of them.

" Not sure if you listen to music, but you cant play a game and listen to music at the same time on the ps3 but you can on xbox."

Actually, custom soundtracks are an available feature to some PS3 titles, but I personally think it's taking away from the gaming experience. I had a friend of mine who abused it while playing Halo 3, and this was his first Halo game so he had never heard the Martin O'Donell score. I told him that he should give it a chance, which he did. After that day he never used the feature again. You can really miss out on some great music.

"For me thats the main reason i sold my ps3 and got a xbox."

Should've kept both. Both platforms are awesome. I just happen to prefer and play my PS3 and its games much more than my 360 and its games. =P

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 11:02:01 AM PDT
John McClane says:
XBL is only expensive if you make minimum wage for a living.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 11:20:11 AM PDT
or have a PS3 and have no need to pay for XBL

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 1:03:53 PM PDT
PS3. There are no hidden costs. (i.e. hard drive, xbox live gold) Xbox is known to be the platform for shooters, PS3 is what you want to go with. Why pay for extra things when your don't have too?

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 1:09:01 PM PDT
Fidel Amaya says:
Unless you like Playing Online, playing Multiplat, and a better online experience. 360 is the way to go. If you want Blue Ray, Exclusives, free Online, go for PS3. Both are great systems, but one is more Expensive than the other in the long run, (Xbox Live isnt free, even if you have a subscription to Netflix, you need Xbox Live to watch movies)

PSN is free but not as stable. Soon Sony will eventually charge for the Service

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 1:10:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 25, 2012 1:13:45 PM PDT
"PSN is free but not as stable."

How is it not stable though? Like I revealed before, I own both and I fail to see the difference other than the (IMO) obtrusive cross game voice party chat feature of xbox live (although it is easier to join multiplayer games with friends on live).

"Soon Sony will eventually charge for the Service"

Source?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 1:17:03 PM PDT
Fidel Amaya says:
Im sorry i didnt mean stable, im trying to say that Xbox Live is more organized than the PSN.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 1:20:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 25, 2012 1:21:23 PM PDT
I don't understand what that means. Can you explain?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 1:20:34 PM PDT
Fidel Amaya says:
Theres no source out there, just based on how the company is doing i can see them charging for Online. They need money and they'll find a way to charge people.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 1:21:37 PM PDT
Fidel Amaya says:
I mean the UI, you know like when your on the PS Store. The Xbox Live UI seems more basic and easy to manuever!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 1:21:56 PM PDT
Yep, it's called PSN +, and it's not required to play online multiplayer.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 1:26:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 1, 2012 8:36:27 AM PDT
Good lord do I disagree. To me the 360 interface is an ugly, ad-filled mess while the PS3 XMB is more functional, user friendly, and more aesthetically pleasing. It's much more effortless to find what you're looking for, and whenever you want to purchase something from the store, you don't have to go through a whole list of useless Avatar items before finding the DLC you're looking for like you do on the live marketplace. IMO, the 360 dashboard just keeps getting more and more cumbersome with each new update, with more inputs being required to get to where you want to go (unless you have Kinect).

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 1:30:43 PM PDT
Fidel Amaya says:
PSN isnt any better though.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 1:31:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 25, 2012 1:32:14 PM PDT
In terms of interface? IMO it is. At the very least it's faster to get to where you want to go (unless you're using kinect on the 360).

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 1:33:22 PM PDT
Fidel Amaya says:
Yes i know about PSN +, its a really good service i had it back when Sony did the Free 30 Day pass and some of the Discounts are sweet. But if you think Sony isn't going to start Charging for Online Access, you need to catch up with the times. They already have Online Pass for Games? Its not a matter of "if" but more like "When" they're going to start charging(For Multiplayer)?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 29 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Xbox 360 forum
Participants:  95
Total posts:  710
Initial post:  Apr 24, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 6, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions