Customer Discussions > Xbox 360 forum

Best console for exercise

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 4, 2012 10:28:18 AM PST
JackWagon says:
My daughter is asking for a Xbox + Kinect to play Zumba and other exercise/dance videos. I'm just about to pull the trigger but thought I'd ask for some advice before doing so. She's not a gamer and I don't think that she wants all the features that go with that. With her immediate goals in mind do you recommend going ahead with the Xbox purchase? Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 5:58:42 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 5, 2012 6:01:21 PM PST
If she's solely interested in fitness, I'd recommend some exercise dvds, and maybe some equipment, not a console. The only thing fitness games add to the experience of exercise is a loose structure, but no more than a pamphlet or a tape would.

I mean, if that's what she wants and you think she'll stick with it better than she would with cheaper options; and if it makes financial sense to spend that much on what's ultimately largely gratuitous; then yeah, I guess it could be worth it. That said, it really depends on where her motivation to exercise is going to be strongest, as well as whether she'll have the motivation to stick with it.

As for which console would be best, either the 360 or the Wii. They have a better variety of fitness software, and I don't know if the PS3 even has anything that would be able to increase interactivity like Kinect or the Wii Balance Board would be able to. I couldn't tell you which would be better (and I don't really think either would be meaningfully better for that purpose, really), so of the two go with the one she wants if you decide to get one.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 7:32:23 PM PST
I agree with Christmas Johns completely. How old is your daughter?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 8:06:31 PM PST
JackWagon says:
She's in college. And I was thinking along the same lines. She used an XBox at a friend's house and I think that's what sparked the interest. I've been on the fence because of the cost. And now that I've seen some other feedback on the Zumba game I'm even more unsure that this is worth the investment. The only upside is if the game is so engaging that it makes her feel like she's in a class.

Thanks so much for the advice.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 9:43:24 PM PST
Home Fried says:
Well unless she's really into just normal video games like Halo or Call of Duty, I don't think buying the whole console with the Kinect is worth the investment.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Xbox 360 forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Dec 4, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 5, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions