Customer Discussions > Young Adult forum

Important announcement from Amazon

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 202 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 17, 2011 7:32:13 PM PDT
Amazon recently created a new community for authors. The `Meet Our Authors' community is designed to give authors a space to engage with one another and promote their latest and greatest works.

With the advent of the new community, we will no longer allow self promotional posts in other communities. Starting on Saturday, May 14th, all "shameless self promotion" activity will be limited to the `Meet Our Authors' community. Promotional threads outside of these forums will be removed.

We invite authors and interested readers to come join the discussion at:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/meet%20our%20authors

We look forward to seeing you!

Posted on May 18, 2011 7:53:02 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 29, 2011 6:51:33 AM PDT
Christine H. says:
It's wonderful that Amazon has finally addressed this problem ,but this announcement needs to be placed at the top of EVERY SINGLE Community/Forum dealing with books,not just one here and there.

Too bad that as can be seen in almost without exception-every thread,the SPAMMERS totally are ignoring this post,and hawking their books!

This announcement wherever posted doesn't seem to have had any effect,WHATSOEVER!

Time to start banning those who do,I'd say. They make it a pure miserable experience to even browse the threads in these forums!

Most of the time their books are not even in the same genre the OP is about,and that is just flat out rude!

Posted on May 26, 2011 7:45:02 PM PDT
Tim Greaton says:
Hey, Chris. I've been trying to figure out proper decorum when in these forums, and I definitely see your point. Sounds like Amazon has decided to handle the issue. Probably a good thing :-)

Posted on May 29, 2011 1:24:59 PM PDT
norm cowie says:
There should also be a link to take one directly there, rather than making people copy and past.
Norm

www.normcowie.com

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2011 11:36:07 PM PDT
Kribu says:
If you scroll down on any customer discussion forum page, there's a direct link to 'Meet Our Authors' under the More Customer Discussions ->
Most active community forums heading.

Posted on May 30, 2011 5:24:18 AM PDT
Cindy Borgne says:
As an author, I was at first disappointed with this because on occasion I have posted my book on promotional threads only. However, as a reader I think it's a good decision because even I've had the experience of an author just randomly posting something like "Hey guys, check out my book." and not even bother to discuss what the thread is about. I would never have the nerve to do something like that. So overall, I agree with it.

Now the only thing about the Meet Our Authors section is I wonder how many readers will actually check it out, so I have been hesitant to try it.

Posted on Jun 5, 2011 4:32:58 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 5, 2011 4:33:40 PM PDT
Christine H. says:
Wow, they didn't even stickie this???

Posted on Jun 22, 2011 5:35:15 AM PDT
Kribu says:
I'm bumping this for the benefit of people who haven't visited the forum for a while and might not be aware of Amazon's recent change in policy.

Chris, I'm quite sure the thread was stickied for a bit at first but for some reason it was unstickied in most forums a while ago. Perhaps Amazon figured that everyone had already seen it. :-/

Cindy, I don't know about others but I've certainly looked at the Meet Our Authors forum now and then. I only wish that more authors indicated the genre they're writing in the thread title - when there are hundreds of posts with only book titles or author names (which are pretty much unknown to most potential readers), then browsing for something interesting is difficult, at least for those of us who mostly read in certain genres.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2011 5:38:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 22, 2011 5:45:55 AM PDT
Cindy Borgne says:
Kribu, yes, I so wish there was some sort of organization to it. It's just a big pile of authors all jammed into the same room right now. I write science fiction/YA and there is one thread on there for science fiction that I'm in, but who would even have time to browse through all the posts and even find me. I have thought about posting an individual thread for myself, and will probably do so eventually, but even then it will probably sink to the bottom fairly fast...lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2011 7:08:07 AM PDT
Kribu says:
Yes, I can certainly understand the indie authors' plight - if no one knows you have a book out, the chances of enough people coming by it just by browsing the books in the Amazon catalogue are quite small.

I do wish some sort of happy medium could have been achieved. Were it up to me, I'd be happy to see the occasional *relevant* post by an indie author mentioning their book, in a thread where someone asks for books and it actually fits the description (especially when they also have books by other authors to recommend). Unfortunately it seems too many authors just do drive-by posting in 15-20 threads at once in a forum, posting identical blurbs/promos in each one, which more often than not have nothing to do with what the original poster asked for, so I also understand the reason for trying to keep self-promos away from other discussion forums.

From what I've read in the main Kindle forum, Amazon has said they do allow authors to include the title of one of their books (as plain text, not as a link) as a signature when they post. People do occasionally check out the work of people whose on-topic posts they've otherwise enjoyed, especially when they know the person is an author and has written something.

Posted on Jun 22, 2011 7:59:17 AM PDT
Cindy Borgne says:
I wasn't sure if it's okay to leave a product link because I've heard some authors saying they couldn't. I fully understand from the readers point of view that it's hard to decide what to even try with the flood of new books. One time I was even trying to discuss reading in general and had a drive by just come in and plug their book. I wouldn't have minded so much if they would've at least commented on the conversation, but I don't even think they read it. Anyway I guess I'll try the little signature thing. I suppose they can always delete it..lol.

Cindy
Vallar

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2011 8:49:50 AM PDT
Kribu says:
Just to point out that I did say "plain text, not as a link". Apparently Amazon does object to actual links in signatures, and has at times deleted posts with those.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2011 9:01:57 AM PDT
Cindy Borgne says:
Thanks for the info, but does this even apply to a product link?
Your reply to Cindy Borgne's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2011 9:10:15 AM PDT
Kribu says:
Yes, it applies to product links. Some people over on the Kindle forum have speculated that one reason Amazon doesn't want that (links in signatures) is that it messes up their statistics, but I really have no idea what the reason is.

Posted on Jun 22, 2011 9:22:23 AM PDT
Cindy Borgne says:
Thanks Kribu, I will refrain from product links.

Posted on Jun 22, 2011 12:22:51 PM PDT
Ellie says:
I think it's good that they've made an author place, readers can go there if they choose to and authors can enjoy their own forums. It's about time.

Posted on Jun 23, 2011 6:15:54 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 23, 2011 6:35:58 AM PDT
Christine H. says:
There is no excuse for any self-published author to be a Self-Promoting SPAMMER/TROLL placing their posts in every single thread regardless of book genre of that thread topic in every FORUM, like they have been doing,and why Amazon has THANKFULLY adopted this policy!

When I am seeking book suggestions for say Historical Fiction,I most certainly do not appreciate some author trying to hawk their Science Fiction book onto me! That is flat-out RUDE!
You see examples of this in every thread here.

Look how many authors here have also posted in the children's thread and all around the book forums! Same author's names,same book titles EVERYWHERE!

No way on earth do I intend to go to the Meet Our Authors Forum,to see them all "Toot Their Own Horn" like they have been doing in every book thread!

I prefer to get to know an author,the ONLY way that I have always done,through their work.

There is a self-published author of Clean Romance who absolutely never SPAMS the threads or forums yet I can find her work simply by doing a search for Clean Romance and her books come up.

If the author's books are here on Amazon they will come up when anyone does a genre or tag search. How many times have you clicked on tags and see books come up that may only have one review or even none yet,along with the books which have several?

Self-Promoting authors have shown absolutely no common courtesy to the users of these forums,and I am 100% DELIGHTED that Amazon has banned them from posting in ALL threads except for the new Meet Our Author Forum.

Now it is up to the rest of us to REPORT those who violate Amazon's TOS if we wish to have the Forum communities return to being the pleasure to browse for book suggestions before they were taken over by the same SPAMMERS in every thread! That includes those SNEAKY posts where they mention a few books by other authors, but then also include their own,irregardless of what genre their book is!

[quote With the advent of the new community, we will no longer allow self promotional posts in other communities. Starting on Saturday, May 14th, all "shameless self promotion" activity will be limited to the `Meet Our Authors' community. Promotional threads outside of these forums will be removed.
[/quote]

Glad to see this announcement back in the YOUNG ADULT forum,now Amazon needs to "stickie" it to the top! Or viewers let's make sure it stays up here.

Posted on Jun 23, 2011 12:47:20 PM PDT
In the romance community, users are pretty vocal when an author (self-published or not) self-promotes. At first I found it a bit... scary, but now I see how productive our conversations can be when we aren't interrupted by spam. Perhaps Amazon needs forum moderators; or users in other forums can similarly step up to safeguard the threads. Most authors aren't even aware of the new rules and are quick to delete their self-promotions when asked. The ones that aren't can be reported to Amazon and removed manually.

Posted on Jun 23, 2011 2:02:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 23, 2011 2:04:02 PM PDT
Christine H. says:
The banning of all Self-Promotion is a much better solution than forum moderators would ever be.

The countless incidents of SPAMMING by self-promoters have proven without a doubt the total lack of courtesy and common sense by far too many who have something to sell. That is why Amazon found it necessary to take this step.

Not seeing the announcement is no excuse whatsoever,as it should not have ever become necessary to post such an announcement in the first place!

Posted on Jun 23, 2011 5:37:52 PM PDT
But how do you *enforce* the banning of self-promotion? That's what I'm recommending moderators for (whether officially by Amazon, or informally by users).

Posted on Jun 23, 2011 11:48:40 PM PDT
Kribu says:
I guess Amazon sees the Report abuse link as giving users a chance at moderation. I admit I've been using it more often these days, especially for those who do identical drive-by posts in 15-20 threads - as a regular visitor/reader, there's nothing more annoying than seeing new posts in twenty threads and then clicking on each one only to see it's all the exact same self-promo post.

The whole problem with the idea of moderating the Amazon customer discussion forums is that there seems to be an unlimited number of them. Pretty much everything has or can have its own forum. I suppose this would make appointing moderators difficult, although they could pick, say, the twenty most popular not-one-particular-product discussion forums and moderate those. Still, I suppose that would be too much work, too.

Since this thread isn't sticky, I do think it's a good idea if we users try and keep it near the top of the forum. At least this way, new authors will be informed.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2011 5:14:23 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 24, 2011 5:24:37 AM PDT
Christine H. says:
Amazon has already said *HOW they intend to *enforce* the banning of self-promotion!

By removing all those self-promotional posts placed *anywhere* except the new "Meet Our Authors" forum!

As long as they do indeed remove all those posts, Amazon *will* accomplish what they intended and make all those who come to the forums in search of suggestions for books in particular genres very happy to no longer have to wade through all those posts.... most of which do not even belong in the *genre specific* threads you browse!

Posted on Jun 24, 2011 5:18:09 AM PDT
Cindy Borgne says:
I don't know why authors even bother with "drive bys". It simply doesn't work because people just ignore them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2011 5:22:34 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 24, 2011 5:31:25 AM PDT
Christine H. says:
Kribu-very true words about the *identical drive-by* posts by the same authors in thread after thread after thread! GRRRRRR

They are totally wasting everyone's time including their own, since because of their rudeness I would wager that instead of gaining any sales they have pushed away any potential reader who was offended by their repeated posts.
I know I would not even consider reading anything by such a SPAMMER even if their book actually is in a genre that I am interested in and even if by the synopsis it sounds interesting,just on principle alone they have
lost me.

I will say it again, if their book is for sale here on Amazon they do not need to promote it. It will show up when people do a genre or tag-specific search. I know because I have found books by self-published authors this way and one has even become a favorite,and I have never seen a single incident of her Self-Promoting herself!

I will also say the EXACT OPPOSITE is true. Not one author that I read and enjoy has ever to my knowledge been guilty of "TOOTING THEIR OWN HORN", by SPAMMING the Forum threads here! I have never,ever come to know of any author by their own SELF-PROMOTION!

Posted on Jun 26, 2011 11:21:07 PM PDT
Kribu says:
Chris, I agree with what you say, except that as someone who has never done a genre or tag specific search and who prefers to look books up by title (I've tried browsing and ... it would take years to find something worth reading), I have appreciated the occasional author post - when it's not been a drive-by spam and has included a relevant description, not simply the book blurb or, what's worse, copy-pasted glowing "reader reviews". I can look at those on the product page myself, thank you!

But, yeah, I'd much rather go to the MoA forum now for the occasional indie-browsing. Even though I did feel the occasional, relevant, indie author self-recommendation (in threads where it was specified they were welcome) was nice, if only because in the YA genre and subgenres, the same traditionally published author/book suggestions get made all the time otherwise - but it just got way out of hand due to the drive-by spammers.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Young Adult forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
What are you currently reading? (no self promos) 5482 7 hours ago
Hero that isn't sauve and perfect, but funny and clever? 0 6 days ago
Looking for a Book 0 7 days ago
Deals & Steals - low priced YA books (no self promos) 509 20 days ago
Heros like Cole from Brodi Ashton series, Everneath 0 20 days ago
Bad boy hero and good girl heroine become friends, hero falls for her and wants more 9 21 days ago
Truth or dare and other YA books that involve dark secrets apart of the plot 0 24 days ago
Boy Hates Girl. Girl Hates Boy...At least thats what she thinks. 20 25 days ago
Book about verbally abusive/controlling/angry boyfriend 2 27 days ago
Looking for books that are clean...need ideas 4 Jun 4, 2014
Obscure gems in YA fiction 31 May 6, 2014
Looking for book series, 0 May 4, 2014

This discussion

Discussion in:  Young Adult forum
Participants:  23
Total posts:  202
Initial post:  May 17, 2011
Latest post:  Mar 13, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions