Customer Discussions > Young Adult forum

Any Good YA Thrillers/Mysteries?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-18 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 12, 2012 1:00:32 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 12, 2012 2:43:21 AM PDT
Grace says:
I'm in love with YA thrillers and mysteries, especially if there's romance in them.
I'm looking for more good ones because I've run out!
Please don't suggest anything dystopian or anything with vampires/werewolves.
Some good examples of what I'm looking for are:
The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting
The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson
The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin
Deadly Cool by Gemma Halliday
Fracture by Megan Miranda

Thanks in advance!

Posted on Aug 12, 2012 1:10:03 AM PDT
Kate says:
Bad Girls Don't Die by Katie Alender isn't a romance but it is an AMAZING thriller.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2012 1:51:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 13, 2012 1:52:55 PM PDT
Agnes says:
Have you tried Meg Cabot's 1-800-Where-R-You series? The first book is When Lightning Strikes (1-800-Where-R-You). The main character is offered a ride home on her crush's motorcycle. She says no and is struck by lightning on the way home. This doesn't leave her entirely unscathed, as the lightning strike leaves her with the ability to find people after she has seen their pictures. I loved this series when I was younger, and it does contain a romance.

Elizabeth Chandler's Dark Secrets series might also be something of interest. Each book is about a different character and tackles a different subject, from serial killers to twin bonds to poltergeist activity. They've also been reprinted, so you can purchase editions with two books in one. Dark Secrets 1: Legacy of Lies and Don't Tell and Dark Secrets 2: No Time to Die; The Deep End of Fear are some in the series (there's also another I haven't read called The Back Door of Midnight (Dark Secrets)). I think The Deep End of Fear is the worst story in the series but enjoyed the others. All of these have romance.

Posted on Aug 14, 2012 3:08:12 PM PDT
The Night She Disappeared Fast paced book
Rosebush Really loved this book
White Cat (Curse Workers) The first in a series, I bought this on audio and it is read by Jesse Eisenberg, the guy from the Social Network? Anyways, it is a fast book and the twists and turns really kept me guessing right up to the end when you finally find out what the heck has been going on.

Posted on Aug 24, 2012 8:48:48 PM PDT
Juliette says:
Anges@ i read #2 also, i didnt like the second one but i really liked the first:)

Posted on Aug 24, 2012 10:10:20 PM PDT
Clarity (Clarity Novel) - very quick read
The Book of Blood and Shadow - kind of a teenage Da Vinci code
Grave Mercy: His Fair Assassin, Book I (His Fair Assassin Trilogy) - medieval, assassins, court intrigue
Wrapped - mummies, conspiracies

Posted on Aug 26, 2012 12:43:21 AM PDT
Irene says:
There is YA Mystery series along the lines of Nancy Drew that is set during World War II by Kathryn Miller Haines
There are only 2 books so far
The Girl Is Murder
The Girl Is Trouble

Posted on Aug 27, 2012 7:54:58 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 27, 2012 7:56:11 AM PDT
they aren't out yet - but I just saw that Soho Crime Publishing is going to be launching a YA line later on this year (I think September/October) - they are responsible for releasing lots of the Scandinavian fiction in the US

ETA - whoops, early 2013 according to their website - http://www.sohopress.com/soho-teen/ - they have coming soon books listed for January 2013

Posted on Aug 27, 2012 8:58:26 AM PDT
I checked out Soho - the book Escape theory looks promising. I signed up for a newsletter. Thanks for the info on this, Deanna.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2012 1:17:32 PM PDT
np - I stalk them for books by authors who normally wouldn't get published in the US and they have some interesting stuff. they have books available on NetGalley if you review through them at all

Posted on Aug 27, 2012 7:15:11 PM PDT
I've been thinking that I should spend more time on Amazon UK, I'm probably missing out on some super books.

Netgalley - I forget to check with them.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2012 7:06:54 AM PDT
i seem to get approved for most YA books I request and not many of my other ones...which is funny since YA is only about 15% of my normal reading

Posted on Aug 28, 2012 8:15:20 AM PDT
Ha, the opposite is true for me!

Posted on Aug 28, 2012 7:45:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 28, 2012 7:46:13 PM PDT
The Little Woods is decent.

Not strictly YA, but amazing is The Secret History.

Also, I loved A Northern Light, which is based on a real historical murder case.

Posted on Aug 28, 2012 8:39:44 PM PDT
I didn't know A Northern Light was based on true events.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2012 9:24:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 28, 2012 9:25:31 PM PDT
The same murder case memorialized in Dreiser's An American Tragedy (Signet Classics) and in A Place in the Sun.

Posted on Sep 9, 2012 11:08:58 PM PDT
Belle says:
Fury by Shirley Marr is great.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 6:06:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 6:59:38 AM PST
C. Hall says:
How to Disappear Completely and Never Be Found

The London Eye Mystery

Halos

The Edge of Recall

The Oath

Danger In Plain Sight

Hide In Plain Sight

A Christmas to Die For (The Three Sisters Inn)

Spooky

Replication: The Jason Experiment
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Young Adult forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  18
Initial post:  Aug 12, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions