Customer Discussions > Young Adult forum

What are you currently reading? (no self promos)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jan 26, 2015 1:05:40 PM PST
A Golden Retriever as a negative? Seems impossible! :P

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2015 3:22:15 PM PST
J. Case says:
Im reading an unpexted grace. First time i can recall a golden retriever serving as something negative in fiction.

Also the true crime book Deadly Duos about partners that murdered together. Not surprised they got bonnie and clyde. Maybe Clyde didnt pester bonnie for sex because he was confused of who we was, or the self loathing monopolized his life.

Posted on Jan 23, 2015 1:22:09 PM PST
I zipped through My Heart and Other Black Holes, which I really enjoyed. It's not easy subject matter, but I thought it was handled in a really authentic and positive way.

Next I think I'm going to tackle The Storyspinner (The Keepers' Chronicles) and Bone Gap. They're both getting good buzz! (But not at Hype Machine levels, which is good, because I'm always wary of that.)

Well, that's in addition to The Dark and Hollow Places (Forest of Hands and Teeth) (audio), which I'm almost done with.

Paradox: With the combination of audiobooks thrown in, I'm reading quite a bit lately, which feels great -- but at the same time, I can't help wondering if I'm going a little TOO fast through these books. Like, am I retaining them? Am I luxuriating in them? I don't want reading to become a chore. I want it to stay a pleasure.

Posted on Jan 23, 2015 1:14:43 PM PST
I usually find that book two of a three book series is the dud.

I just finished reading Dear Daughter: A Novel it had a disappointing ending.

Posted on Jan 21, 2015 8:18:52 PM PST
K. Knight says:
I just finished "Sisters Fate" the third book in the Cahill Witch Chronicles. It's a really good series. Lately, I've found that I'll enjoy the first book of a series and then the other two are disappointments, but with this series I enjoyed it from the beginning to the end. While I kinda figured how the prophecy would turn out, the way it came about was surprising. It's also a series that is well wrapped up without being too 'full circle' if you know what I mean.

Posted on Jan 16, 2015 3:09:59 PM PST
Kim says:
I know this is out of the blue but does anyone remember qhat Cassia traded for the end of the poem and her grandfather's microcard?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2015 10:50:26 AM PST
Oh, thanks for the reccos! A couple of those are in my Might Want to Read These pile, so that's perfect.

And oh man, the DOSAB audiobook is so, so good. I've got the whole series in print, but I still like listening to Kristine Hvam do the voices. :)

Posted on Jan 15, 2015 10:30:11 PM PST
I love audiobooks, and totally agree, a bad narrator can destroy a good book. One of my favorite books, Sunshine, had an older, smoky voiced lady narrating the 21 year old protag, it threw me right out of the story.

Here are some of my favorite audiobooks;

The Soulless Series by Gail Carriger, not YA but super duper fun
White Cat by Holly Black, read by Jesse Eisenberg.
Daughter of smoke and bones
Ready Player One narrated by Wil Wheaton
The Paper Magician
The Rook
Bloody Jack
A Thousand Pieces of You
The Line, Witching Savannah

Posted on Jan 15, 2015 6:31:34 AM PST
Oh, thanks for the reccos, Deanna! I'll keep my eye out for those narrators. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2015 4:38:29 AM PST
there are a couple of good audiobooks on goodreads - where people talk about favorite narrators/people to avoid etc

my recommendations narration wise - Xe Sands; RC Bray; Simon Vance are 3 of my go-to narrators

Posted on Jan 15, 2015 2:37:13 AM PST
Kribu says:
Ooh, that's great news about Audible having all of SP! They even seem to have both of the extra books, so yes, the entire series indeed.

I read Doctor Who: Dark Horizons last week, which was okay although not brilliant, and am now making my way through The Copernicus Legacy: The Forbidden Stone (pretty sure this qualifies as middle grade). Started off slow and for a while I actually considered just giving up on it, but once the actual adventure kicked off, it's got better. Although I rather hope the characters will leave Germany soon, as all the phonetically spelled "zis iz how Germans spik English" dialogue is starting to get somewhat annoying.

Posted on Jan 14, 2015 7:09:50 PM PST
Okay, I finished ASK THE PASSENGERS, so I'm moving on to a new audiobook. (I may officially be a convert. :P) After having such a great experience with the SKULDUGGERY PLEASANT narrator, and less-great experiences with a couple other narrators, I think I'm going to consult Audible.com for samples before picking my audiobooks moving forward. The voices can really make or break the story in this format.

Speaking of Audible.com, I saw that they have the entire SP series, so I am all set to finish that at my leisure! :D

In the meantime, I've chosen DARK AND HOLLOW PLACES by Carrie Ryan (from the library), because the narrator sounds pretty good, and because I read the first 2 books in the series earlier, and they were enjoyable enough that I wouldn't mind the closure now.

In terms of print books, I'm not really loving either of my book clubs' choices... so I may DNF them and move on to my shiny new ARCs, hehehe. *halo*

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2015 1:06:28 PM PST
Will do! It's the Feb selection for one of my book clubs, so I should have it read no later than a month or so. :)

Posted on Jan 13, 2015 12:29:56 PM PST
I think it all just went crazy bananas, the way things often do when the anonymity of the internet is involved. I hope she isn't a bellweather for other female authors because I think this could be an intriguing new way for authors to get paid for their work.

My Heart and Other Black Holes sounds amazing, let us know what you think, Kristan. I don't usually go for this kind of book (sad and introspective) but it seems to have a little more black humor to keep it from being too maudlin.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2015 10:36:05 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 13, 2015 10:36:51 AM PST
possibly - I know people argue that lots of authors have done it before, so why the outcry for her - maybe it was just because no one had noticed it before - I don't know - I know that kickstarter and other funding sources have come under fire because there is little quality control on what is offered; people have investigated significant money and then projects have gone bust with no recourse - on top of the things like gofundme where you can basically launch any request for money

I was reading up on pubslush the other day which I think may have potential because of how they are implementing it or other micro-type loans

ETA - something to be noted is that the 2 main sites I read (DA and Jenny Trout) never said don't invest - they explained why they had issues with the idea and potential ramifications of it

Posted on Jan 13, 2015 9:12:59 AM PST
Again, I think regardless of what she could have done better or differently, some of the reactions and outcry were way out of proportion.

In other news, I just received ARCs of My Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine Warga and Bone Gap by Laura Ruby, and I'm so eager to read both of them that I'm tempted to drop all my other in-progress reading! Hahaha. But I probably won't, because both my book clubs meet next week... :P

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2015 9:01:22 AM PST
the problem I saw, was that it wasn't people like Dear Author/Jenny Trout who turned it ugly - it was the people commenting that readers were expecting authors to work for free

although I did see something about someone posting her house picture which I find deplorable - but that brought up an inconsistency in her request - her request said she lived in Hawaii, when her alter-ego lived in California - a better idea for her (IMHO) would have been one of the microloan companies - where you can say I need x money to live each month and people contribute to that while allowing them to pursue their art - there is no guarantee of return on investment etc

but then I also call self-pub authors on their complaining - like H.M. Ward who claims to have sold 5 million plus books but isn't making enough money to survive - even at an extremely low return in costs - that is still several million dollars

Posted on Jan 13, 2015 6:44:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 13, 2015 6:44:49 AM PST
I think everyone who gets paid to do their job (including the Veronica Mars and Reading Rainbow teams) are putting some of that money toward living expenses.

I also think that if people didn't like her perceived tone or decisions, that's totally within their rights, and they just don't have to fund the Kickstarter. (I'm assuming you fall into that group, Deanna.)

However, a vocal/active minority turned this situation into something extremely ugly, and in some cases illegal. It's rather scary, and completely uncalled for.

Posted on Jan 13, 2015 3:20:09 AM PST
It just seemed like to me some of the comments indicated she felt like she was too good to work a day job to survive and what happens in 3months if the book doesn't get written orif she runs out if money - there is no recourse for investors and she said in the KS that the $10 incentive (free ebook) is more than she would charge on sale - so the investors aren't even getting added incentive like normal because they would've able to buy cheaper

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2015 3:14:14 AM PST
Yep - my problem was more with the living expenses while she writes and the undertone of the book won't get written if not funded, even when she says she could publish her backlist for income - it just is sketchy to me

Don't get me wrong I've invested in many kickstarter a - more on the technology side but they have a provided production plan, timeline etc - she didn't - but that is just my opinion

Posted on Jan 12, 2015 10:20:28 PM PST
Are you talking about Stacey Jay, Deanna? My hubby and I have paid for several kickstarter projects; Code Monkey Save World, The Veronica Mars film, Reading Rainbow, etc. and I can't say I think anything is wrong with an author doing the same thing.

I'm not sure why she wrote a magnum opus about her life, kickstarter and writing, but she seems like an okay, if a wee bit emotional, person.

Posted on Jan 12, 2015 12:54:10 PM PST
Annalise something I think

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2015 12:32:07 PM PST
Lisa says:
She sounds like a piece of work. What's her other pen name?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2015 12:23:18 PM PST
this is the author that just tried to launch of kickstarter to fund her new book IIRC - there was a lot of discussion/outcry in the YA community - i'd never heard of her before then

Posted on Jan 12, 2015 11:34:49 AM PST
I'm reading Red Queen, I'm about halfway done and am already feeling sad that I'll probably have to wait a year for book 2. Also just got Seeker so at least when I'm done with Red I'll have something cool to follow up with.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 229 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Young Adult forum
Participants:  282
Total posts:  5712
Initial post:  Oct 16, 2011
Latest post:  4 hours ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 25 customers

Search Customer Discussions