Customer Discussions > Young Adult forum

What are you currently reading? (no self promos)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 28, 2011 10:19:36 AM PST
aen says:
I'm reading Into the Wild Nerd Yonder and so far it is very cute!! It vaguely reminds me of my high school experience, plus I needed a break from paranormal shananagins. Before I started 'IWNY' I read Bloodlines for the 4th time and the latest Morganville Vampire series book Last Breath: The Morganville Vampires
If you are into paranormal/fantasy type then I definitely recommend both series, their books are always automatically on my pre-order list!! It's just so hard to find a series that can make it past book 7.

Although I am shaking things up a bit and reading Clockwork Angel (Infernal Devices) next and I know absolutely nothing about it except that it takes place in the Victorian era (which I also LOVE) and it has a beautiful cover.
=)

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 11:20:38 AM PST
BMW says:
I'm currently (trying to!) read Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake. I thought it was going to be so awesome but it's kinda tough going. The writing is vague and so far I'm not very fond of any of the characters. Hmm. It still has one of my favorite covers I've seen in awhile.

I pushed The Night Circus back a couple of books, so I haven't read it yet, maybe I should have though :/

Posted on Nov 30, 2011 5:48:52 PM PST
Meteor Epic says:
I finished Dragonlance: The Second Generation, not YA but i love the series a couple days ago, and now I'm reading The Girl of Fire and THrons by: Rae Carson. It's not what I expected it to be at all, but it's really good, full of plot twists, and Elisa's narrative can even be funny sometimes.

Posted on Nov 30, 2011 6:52:52 PM PST
Oooh, I really want to read Girl of Fire and Thorns. Also want to check out Legend by Marie Lu and Cinder by Marissa Meyer.

Posted on Dec 1, 2011 1:54:49 PM PST
Kribu says:
Started reading The Librarian (Book One: Little Boy Lost) a freebie I picked up recently - not terrible so far. It's more middle grade than YA, though.

Posted on Dec 3, 2011 4:47:17 PM PST
K. Knight says:
The Girl of Fire and Thorns is on my to read list, too. I just started Vampire Academy on the advice of someone I was complaining to about the House of Night series. While VA is much better written, I'm not really finding it to be all that interesting. House of Night novels were terribly written with an annoying tone, but I really wanted to know what happened next (until I finished the third book and called it quits). With VA, I'm just not drawn into the story. It's weird. Usually if I don't like a book I know why, but with this, it's more ambivalence than dislike.

Posted on Dec 3, 2011 8:47:50 PM PST
Oh crud. I am supposed to read The Night Circus by this Thurs for my book club. I totally forgot, and I am currently 79th on my library waiting list. Doh...

Posted on Dec 5, 2011 10:59:36 PM PST
Kribu says:
I'm reading Crossed now, the sequel to / second part in the Matched trilogy - I keep being surprised by how much I'm enjoying these books.

I'm not a fan of romance and I'm not a fan of poetry and yet something about them just works for me. I haven't even finished Crossed and I'm already looking forward to the third book (not looking forward to the long wait ahead for it, though).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2011 4:22:18 AM PST
Tony Talbot says:
Hi Kristan,

I just finished THE BOOK THIEF, and liked it a lot. Wouldn't say I loved it; just liked it a lot. Some of the metaphors and imagery didn't work for me, such as 'He watched the parade with the blinds down across his face' or 'Watching her eyes handle every (musical) note.' I did like the little asides the narrator put in there, although at first they bugged me.

Tonight I'll be starting THE MAZE RUNNER. Heard some good vibes about that one, and it looks interesting.

Tony Talbot

Posted on Dec 6, 2011 8:14:22 AM PST
I managed to get my hands on a copy of The Night Circus so I may be able to read some before my book club on Thurs night after all!

Also, the first 5 chapters of Cinder by Marissa Meyer are now available for free, so I downloaded that to check out.

Posted on Dec 6, 2011 2:55:00 PM PST
K. Knight says:
Kristan, let us know about the Night Circus. I asked for it for Christmas because I'd heard so many good things about it.

I was not a fan of The Maze Runner, but a lot of other people liked it. I think all 3 books of that trilogy are out now.

I just started The Girl with a Pearl Earring. So far so good...which is nice because I didn't much care for the movie.

Posted on Dec 6, 2011 4:06:39 PM PST
Pig_Weasley says:
I read Cinder a couple of weeks ago--Excellent! Tor.com has a free prequel short story called "Glitches" that adds a little more to Cinder's background. Also just read Beautiful Chaos by Kami Garcia. It was good, but I find myself wondering how many books there are going to be in the series. I kind of want an end in sight!

Currently, I am reading 2 adult books: "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett and "Micro" by Michael Crichton. Next on my YA to read list are two forthcoming sequels--Magic Under Stone by Jacklyn Dolomore and Life Eternal by Yvonne Woon. I need to read them before my e-galleys expire! Too much good stuff!

Posted on Dec 6, 2011 4:29:26 PM PST
Thanks for letting us know about "Glitches"! I just sent that to my Kindle to read before the first 5 chapters of Cinder. :)

I loved The Help, btw.

And K. Knight, I'll be sure to report back on the Night Circus if/when I finish, lol.

Posted on Dec 6, 2011 10:37:58 PM PST
Kribu says:
I didn't care for the Maze Runner much either - it was okay enough that I managed to finish it, but I've felt no desire to pick up the rest of the trilogy.

Finished Crossed yesterday and enjoyed it (in spite of that all-too-common middle-book-in-trilogy feel of being the middle part of the characters' journey); have to figure out what to read next, again.

Posted on Dec 7, 2011 2:20:00 PM PST
Pig_Weasley says:
The writing in Night Circus was very rich and lush. I enjoyed it, but not as much as others did. It was good, but not a favorite. Part of that could have been all of the hype.

Posted on Dec 7, 2011 2:27:33 PM PST
Meteor Epic says:
I finished Fire and Thorns, and it was really good! Sad at some parts though. I'm reading Daughter of Smoke and Bone now, I'm a bit over 1/2 way through, and it's really well written and has a great plot line!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2011 2:28:56 PM PST
Yeah, I'm only 22% in, but I can see where you're coming from. There are times when the descriptions are SO lovely and evocative, and then times where they kind of cop out. (Like "They wear fashionable gowns that do not match exactly but coordinate beautifully" compared to "Starting at the neckline and seeping down like ink, the green silk is turning a murky, midnight black.")

That said, I am loving the weaving of the timeline/storylines, and I feel like the characterizations are done quite well, with quick, small-but-telling details.

I imagine the 3rd person omniscient POV will distance many contemporary readers, but that was my favorite narrative tense growing up, so it doesn't bother me.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2011 2:29:42 PM PST
Oh yay! I've got Fire & Thorns to my TBR list.

SOOOO jealous of your reading DOSAB. A friend is giving it to me for xmas, though, so I can't wait to reread! :)

Posted on Dec 7, 2011 2:31:38 PM PST
Meteor Epic says:
I love to reread, but I have too many books right now to do it! Next up is Tamora Pierce's Circle of magic Books 1 and 2, which I got at a used book sale a while ago

Posted on Dec 7, 2011 2:48:25 PM PST
re-read - what's that?

Posted on Dec 7, 2011 2:51:32 PM PST
Meteor Epic says:
when you read a book again

Posted on Dec 7, 2011 3:33:21 PM PST
K. Knight says:
I love re-reading books I really enjoyed the first time around. I feel like you always miss some of the subtle details in a book the first time you read it (especially if you're really enjoying it and can't wait to see what happens next). When you know what happens, you can really enjoy the way things are written and the details. I think I've read Harry Potter about half a dozen times now and I'm still finding new things. Some books (like HP) I read once a year every year because I enjoy them so much!

Kribu--glad I'm not alone in my dislike of Maze Runner. Everyone I know seemed to love it but I was just not impressed. I didn't care to read the rest of the trilogy.

Posted on Dec 7, 2011 3:35:11 PM PST
K. Knight says:
Wow, I need to get a hold of Daughter of Smoke and Bone...it seems like EVERYONE is talking about how good it is.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2011 4:47:37 PM PST
I know what it is...I really wish they had a sarcasm font...I meant, I have too many books on the to-read pile without re-reading anything

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2011 5:08:41 PM PST
LOL no worries, I got your sarcasm.

I don't reread often, also b/c of my TBR pile, but some books (like DOSAB, or Harry Potter, or Hunger Games) are worth it.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Young Adult forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Young Adult forum
Participants:  279
Total posts:  5580
Initial post:  Oct 16, 2011
Latest post:  12 hours ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 23 customers

Search Customer Discussions