Customer Discussions > Young Adult forum

What are you currently reading? (no self promos)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 201-225 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 16, 2011 9:14:55 PM PST
Right now I am reading the Sweep series by Cate Tiernam. I've only read the first three books, but so far I am in love with it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2011 11:26:38 PM PST
Kribu says:
That was, in fact, my main problem with Son of Neptune - I read it, I enjoyed it, and in the end I looked at it and thought ... um, that's the longest introduction/story set-up I've read lately, because pretty much everything in it seemed and felt like setting up the stage for the "real" action, which is going to happen at some later point. Sure, it seemed to have some plot line of its own, but that plot line felt a lot like a rehash of previous Percy Jackson books and served only to introduce a couple of new characters.

That said, it was still a lot of fun, just my least favourite PJ/Olympus book so far.

Posted on Dec 16, 2011 11:35:35 PM PST
Kribu says:
I'm reading something decidedly not for kids or YA right now (Savage Season by Joe R. Lansdale) but can't really stop thinking about The Silver Metal Lover - which, I'd now say, is *very* much suitable for older teens - 16 and above, certainly.

Wonderful book, I only wish I'd discovered it at a younger age myself; such a beautiful mixture of a coming-of-age story, desperate, forbidden, tragic love, philosophical issues about soul and humanity, etc. Might not be approved of by parents who want to shelter their teens and make every choice and decision for them, though.

I should really give Daughter of Smoke and Bone a try next, I think. The universal praise is making me both curious and hesitant about picking it up, but after all the worst that can happen is that I won't like it - and the best that can happen is that I'll find a new book to love. :D

Posted on Dec 17, 2011 1:27:07 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 17, 2011 1:46:06 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2011 2:08:36 PM PST
Kribu, I really think you'll like DOSAB. But yeah, at worst, you won't, and then you'll move on. Happens to good books and avid readers all the time. :P

Posted on Dec 17, 2011 6:13:49 PM PST
Meteor Epic says:
@Alexzandrea- I love Sweep! I too, have only read the 1st 3, and I fell in love with it, and finished it in like... a day!

I am awaiting the action in Son of Neptune! It's good but, I still think The Lost Hero is better, even though Percy has returned, but he doesn't have any memory, so he's basically a new person

Posted on Dec 18, 2011 12:22:13 PM PST
BMW says:
Thanks CarrieLou! :) I'm not too far in but so far I can definitely see myself obsessing as well, especially over Alexander. I was a little skeptical going in since I'd heard previous accounts of his man whorish ways but either I have a different perception of him or I simply don't care lol because I find him incredibly swoon-worthy.

As a dystopian junkie I love "apocalypsies" haha too cute. Glad to know I'm not the only crazy one looking forward to the supposed armageddon :D

Posted on Dec 18, 2011 4:08:13 PM PST
I devoured Lola and the Boy Next Door - I think i might have liked it even more than Anna and the French Kiss...lola reminds me of me growing up, minus the gay dads and the drug addict mother...

Posted on Dec 18, 2011 5:34:10 PM PST
Meteor Epic says:
Finished Son of Neptune last night! The amazing ending totally makes up for the meh middle parts.

I'm reading Wolf Star: The Claidi Journals Book II. It's more for the younger set, but I loved the first one!

Posted on Dec 18, 2011 6:58:13 PM PST
I'm reading The Ask and the Answer by Patrick Ness, book 2 of the Chaos Walking trilogy. I just finished the first one yesterday and it was intense. Could not put the book down. I also just finished Eon and can't wait to read Eona, though the reviews seem disappointing.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2011 7:38:35 PM PST
I'm glad you enjoyed Lola! See, I think I connected more with Anna, personally, which is why I liked that book better. But then Lola's parents were more like mine (only, made up of a heterosexual couple) and I thought they were more believable than Anna's parents in general.

Regardless, I really like both books, and I can't wait for Isla and the Happily Ever After! :)

Posted on Dec 18, 2011 10:59:42 PM PST
Kribu says:
I started Daughter of Smoke and Bone last night - I'm about 25% in and so far enjoying it quite a bit, not to mention being more than a little intrigued. Wonderful writing and a plot that I haven't yet managed to figure out. :D

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2011 1:22:43 AM PST
maybe because we saw more of them than we did of Anna's? I mean aside from the beginning and her one vacation, we didn't see them all that much, but we saw Andy and Nathan through-out

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 11:28:15 AM PST
@Kribu-
Woohoo! It's not a mystery per se, and I think if I'd stopped to try and figure things out, I probably could have predicted most of them. But because I was so wrapped up in the writing and the story, I took the twists and turns as they came, and they gutted me.

@Deanna-
Very true. But also, the parents were better parents in Lola than in Anna. More well-rounded, more involved in Lola's life.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2011 12:41:40 PM PST
but its hard to be involved in your kids life if they are in another country...FWIW, I would have loved to have gone to boarding school in another country - I did go to one, but in the local city

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 1:19:54 PM PST
Meteor Epic says:
Mehhh gave up on Wolf Star last night. Claidi's writing is simply annoying, filled with her incomplete thoughts and all. I get that this is Claidi's diary, and that it's more believable, but it was a huge nuisance. Also, some things were too detailed (it gave me a headache in the explanation of the jungle) and important things weren't explained as well as they should be. Also, the story is really weird, so it needs some more explaination, and not enough was given.

I'm now reading Captivate, the sequel to Need, by Carrie Jones and it's really good! Need was too, but it fell apart a bit at the end, and I'm so glad that Zara isn't one of those Paranormal Romance heroines who totally skips out on her friends after discovering she's half-pixie and all. Although, she hasn't contacted her Charleston friends...

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 4:08:53 PM PST
Reading The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison for English class. Just finished A Midsummer Night's Dream for my senior Shakespeare course. Really want to get Lolita by Vladmir Nabokov, and am finishing Passion by Lauren Kate over the weekend.

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 5:43:45 PM PST
@Deanna-
I don't think I would have wanted to move away from all my friends in high school, but I did a summer in Spain during college, and it was one of the best experiences of my life, no question.

@honeywhenyousleep-
Ooo, I want to read The Bluest Eye, thanks for the reminder! Midsummer Night's Dream is one of my faves (that and Twelfth Night, although I prefer them performed rather than read). Lolita is a very well written and interesting book, but it didn't win any special place in my heart.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2011 5:47:31 PM PST
i wish i had done a study abroad now...lol! specially since I had plenty of time in college (I would have only ended up with 1 degree and not 2 in that case)...oh well

@Honeywhenyousleep - i'm more a fan of Shakespeares tragedies and dramas than the comedys - henry V is one of my favs

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 9:47:35 PM PST
CarrieLou says:
BMW, Alexander is definitely swoon-worthy.:) It's funny, normally I'd be bothered by a hero's bad boy ways, but the way he is with Tatiana & how he obviously feels about her...it just shows how meaningless all those other encounters were, I guess. I think he's just a great guy! I love him!!! lol :) I hope you're still enjoying the book. The other two books can be very emotionally draining, but it's all worth it, I promise. :)

Posted on Dec 20, 2011 12:24:39 PM PST
Kribu says:
Hm. Done with Daughter of Smoke and Bone. It's a good book, well written and imaginative, no question about that, but... try as I might, fantasy-world fantasy isn't my cup of tea. I did like the first half of the book, though.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2011 12:51:33 PM PST
Oh you *don't* like "fantasy-world fantasy"?? Somehow I thought you did. Well, I suppose that would be a factor in liking DOSAB. Although I do love the way she blend it with our world... :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2011 12:56:08 PM PST
Kribu says:
Oh yes, the imagination and the scope were wonderful.

But yes ... I seem to get along well with fantasy only when it has both feet firmly in our current, real world. Pity, that, and I *have* tried, because there's such a wide world of fantasy out there (so much more than the kind I like, and not all of that is amazing), but it's just not working.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2011 1:01:04 PM PST
So, you are more of a UF reader than a high fantasy reader?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2011 1:22:15 PM PST
Kribu says:
In theory, yes. In practice, I'm also not overly keen on werewolves or faeries or angels or vampires (although I can deal with those - well, I can deal with anything but were-things) - which seems to limit my choices considerably and is largely why I've been sticking to YA where there's a little more variety and magic. *is a picky reader*
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Young Adult forum
Participants:  281
Total posts:  5663
Initial post:  Oct 16, 2011
Latest post:  5 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 24 customers

Search Customer Discussions