Customer Discussions > Young Adult forum

Books for 15 year old girl?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 28, 2012 6:01:55 AM PST
Lisa says:
Looking to buy my daughter some books for Christmas, she is 15 loved hunger games and uglies, hated twilight. I've ordered some of my favorites but not really up on current books, Any ideas?

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 6:20:20 AM PST
Kribu says:
Sounds like she prefers dystopian YA to paranormal romance - I'd suggest looking at Divergent by Veronica Roth, Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi and Matched by Ally Condie for starters.

Ashfall by Mike Mullin is a grim (but IMHO excellent) post-natural-disaster book which may also be okay.

For non-dystopian books some more recent highly acclaimed YA books include Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor and The Raven Boys (Raven Cycle) by Maggie Stiefvater - both include paranormal elements (Daughter of Smoke and Bone is more heavily fantasy) but no vampires, sparkling or otherwise. ;-)

Also, if she liked Uglies, she might want to give Scott Westerfeld's Leviathan series a look, too - it's rather different (steampunk / World War I era alternative history) but well-written.

(All the links/mentions are to the first book in the respective series.)

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 6:47:27 AM PST
Books I would have loved as a 15 yr old:

SCORPIO RACES by Maggie Stiefvater (contemporary w/ one "magical" element)
JELLICOE ROAD by Melina Marchetta (contemporary)
DAUGHTER OF SMOKE AND BONE by Laini Taylor (fantasy)
GIRL OF FIRE AND THORNS by Rae Carson (fantasy)
GRACELING by Kristin Cashore (fantasy)
GRAFFITI MOON by Cath Crowley (contemporary)
THE NIGHT CIRCUS by Erin Morgenstern (fantasy)
THE FAULT IN OUR STARS by John Green (contemporary)
ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS by Stephanie Perkins (contemporary)

And I always recommend the classic ANNE OF GREEN GABLES. :)

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 5:24:44 PM PST
Agnes says:
I recommend:

Vanished Books One & Two: When Lightning Strikes; Code Name Cassandra (1-800-Where-R-You) by Meg Cabot (aka Jenny Carroll); I thought this series was really neat. The main character is struck by lightning while walking home from school, and this leaves her with a psychic ability. This particular edition contains the first two books, and this isn't quite a more current read. It came out some years back.

The Forbidden Game: The Hunter; The Chase; The Kill by L.J. Smith; this edition contains all three books in the trilogy, and it's kind of a mix of horror and urban fantasy.

The Only Alien on the Planet by Kristin D. Randle; if she likes contemporary teen reads with romance, TOAotP is an excellent book to try. It's one of the more unique books I've read in the YA genre.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 8:16:08 PM PST
Katya's World (Strange Chemistry) sci fi, set on another planet, lots of action.

Across the Universe sci fi with romance, set on a spaceship,

Blood Red Road dystopian, kind of a Mad Max feel.

The Assassin's Curse fantasy and a bit fairytaleish. pirates and magical assassins. Lots of action.

Blackwood set on Roanoke, there is a cursed girl, a boy who hears ghosts, and the modern day disappearance of another 114 people.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 10:12:27 AM PST
you should get her Georgetown Academy if she is reading digital books - the series is about DC prep school where all the politicians' kids go - it's all the rage especially since Malia and Sasha Obama are going to spend their high school years as first daughters. www.georgetownacademyseries.com

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 11:54:32 PM PST
W. Small says:
Finally, John & Patricia Beatty YA books are coming back in digital format for Kindle and interactive format for iPad (in Itunes) and Kindle. Holdfast is an Elizabethan historical fiction about a teenage Irish countess who is captured and made a ward of the Elizabeth I. A very fun read! HOLDFAST

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 2:02:24 AM PST
Boric says:
Have a look at:

Laini Taylor's "Daughter of Smoke & Bone" & "Days of Blood & Starlight"
Helen Lowe's "The Heir of Night" & "The Gathering of the Lost"
Kristin Cashore's "Bitterblue"
Elizabeth Knox's "Dreamhumnter" & "Dreamquake"

There's a bit of variety in there...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Young Adult forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Young Adult forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Nov 28, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 8, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions