I am quite the strange reader with a particular taste: a 22-year-old who still enjoys reading the Young Adult genre! (I am certain there many out there like me.) =p
I am looking for some YA novels written for the older audience of that age group, meaning probably for those who are 16 and above. I want something with a little more sex and a little more violence -tastefully written of course.
I am fine with romance, but I do not want it to make up the entire storyline, like Twilight or most of the YA genre these days. Action / adventure is more of what I am looking for in a plot.
Also, I am hoping for something a little more mature in the writing style, in the characters, and in the plot as well. I understand that we are talking about the YA genre here. For some reason, I felt like Twilight was too easy of a read, with flat characters, and a very straight storyline. Then again, I am not looking for something too heavy like Gone with the Wind. The Hunger Games is an excellent example of what I am looking for.
Last but not least, a strong female lead that is not a Mary Sue is what I like reading about the most -totally opposite of Bella Swan. In addition, I am not into girls who hate their lives / hate the world / hate their parents / need to be sarcastic for no reason / and the likes or anything related to Gossip Girls.
You ask why YA? The reason for my preference of this genre is because most adult books I find are too graphic in sex. I like sex in my books but not soft-core porn if you know what i mean. -cough- J.R. Ward -cough- However, if you know of any Adult books that fit my liking, please feel free to recommend them as well!
Themes I currently enjoy: (All of them with a little romance!)
- Post-Apocalyptic / Dystopian
- Historical Paranormal
- Gothic (No, not the emo type . . . )
- Byronic heroes and huge mansions!
Books I enjoyed:
- Mara, Daughter of the Nile (Eloise Jarvis McGraw)
- A Certain Slant of Light (Laura Whitcomb)
- the Gemma Doyle trilogy (Libba Bray)
- Beauty (Robin McKinley)
- Perfect Chemistry / Chain Reaction (Simone Elkeles)
- Hawksong (Amelia Atwater-Rhodes)
- Blood and Chocolate (Annette Curtis Klause)
- Dragon's Bait (Vivian Vande Velde)
- The Iron King (Julie Kagawa)
- The Hunger Games trilogy (Suzanne Collins)
- the Uglies trilogy (Scott Westerfeld)
- Across the Universe (Beth Revis)
Books that are on my shelf but still unread:
- Clockwork Angel (Cassandra Clare)
- The Perilous Gard (Elizabeth Marie Pope)
- Chain Reaction (Simone Elkeles)
- Tiger's Curse (Colleen Houck)
- Delirium (Lauren Oliver)
- Wither (Lauren DeStefano)
- Graceling (Kristin Cashore)
- Poison Study (Maria V. Snyder)
- Sabriel (Garth Nix)
- Crown Duel (Sherwood Smith)
Books I did NOT enjoy:
- the Twilight series (Stephenie Meyer)
- Shiver (Maggie Steifvater)
- the House of Night series (P.C. Cast)
- the Night World series (L.J. Smith)
- Tithe (Holly Black)
- Evermore, Fallen, Blue Bloods, etc.
I hope that was not too hard. >.< It just seems like I always buy the wrong books these days. =\
Recent discussions in the Young Adult forum
|teen pride and prejudice||8||10 hours ago|
|Deals & Steals - low priced YA books (no self promos)||552||14 hours ago|
|What are you currently reading? (no self promos)||5788||8 days ago|
|help||0||8 days ago|
|In A Rut! Paranormal YA needed!||46||Mar 18, 2015|
|I need help remembering the name of a YA Paperback book involves a girl framed for Murder||1||Feb 17, 2015|
|Stalking/obsession||9||Feb 3, 2015|
|Unrequited Love||1||Feb 3, 2015|
|Young Adult Contemporary Books About New Girl In A New School||1||Feb 3, 2015|
|Strong Heroine with Magic, Action, and Romance||4||Jan 14, 2015|
|Rich H and rich h except he doesn't know||0||Dec 31, 2014|
|Private school setting||2||Dec 18, 2014|