Customer Discussions > Young Adult forum

Young Adult books with an obsessive, jealous hero

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 108 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2011 1:19:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 31, 2011 1:43:54 PM PDT
Sandra says:
BMW- As long as Jace is crazy about the Clary then I have no problem reading it. Clare really made her characters in CA so three dimensional and realistic- so much good character development. I really liked Tessa from Clockwork Angel as a heroine- I've seen reviews and there are people who, like you, also don't like Clary. I'll read the books anyway but I hate when the heroine is really unlikable, because I like to put myself in her shoes and if I can't relate to the heroine it sort of ruins the experience. (ie Twilight- I really disliked Bella, even more so in the movies- I liked that Edward was jealous and possessive though) I hate when the 3rd wheel is jealous also. I want the hero to be jealous- he doesn't have to be psychotic, but some jealousy is nice.

Don't get me wrong I really adored Will, his behavior probably made me like him more- but I'm intelligent to know that he's not, how should I say, marriage material for Tessa at this time- Will has to change and get through his problems before I could ever see him as totally there for Tessa- and that means lots of character development and lots of pain and suffering for Will- but I'm one of the ones who likes hero pain angst. It made it really exciting seeing Will fall in love but trying to push that love away- I love how he is the suffer in silence sort of hero, but the way the book ended made me want to die. I wouldn't have cared if the next book was already out but now I have to wait till December. ugh (its funny too because I read the book thinking the next on was coming out in August- I must have gotten the dates confused and now it is just agony waiting.)

I liked Will's jealousy (although when it came to Tessa and Jem, I couldn't really tell if he was jealous because he didn't want to lose Jem or jealous because he didn't want Jem to get too close to Tessa b/c he liked Tessa. I can just tell in the 2nd book that Will is going to be so jealous when Jem and Tessa are together and now I know its because he wants Tessa all to himself.hehehe

I guess there aren't many jealous heroes in YA books because maybe too much jealousy can be looked at in an abusive way and teenagers reading these books are very vulnerable to romanticizing possible abusive behavior with love. I'm 23 so I have no problem reading about jealous heroes without getting mixed up in the whole abuse equals love in real life (confusing fantasy with reality). Hero jealousy makes it more exciting to me because I know that the hero wants the heroine all the himself and is protective of her. He wants it to just be him and her and that's sweet.

Posted on Jul 31, 2011 4:19:46 PM PDT
Lulu Silver says:
I'm not sure if anyone has suggested it but try Beautiful Creatures. Plenty of jealously and obsessiveness in there, especially the second book.

Posted on Jul 31, 2011 10:15:39 PM PDT
BMW says:
Oh no, you're not alone in your feelings about Will, a lot of people thought he was a little too cruel. And I agree, he was but I just have a good feeling about his character. Like he is going to be the type that once he finally does let Tessa in there is nothing that would be able to take her away from him, you know what I mean? He certainly isn't good for her now, he has a lot of problems to work out and I get the feeling it's kinda going to be a long road for him and Tessa but once the walls come down I just know he is going to be one of those dashing, romantic, all or nothing, in it for the long haul type of heros. (SPOILER) Plus it's hinted that if they do end up together, which in my mind there really isn't any question hehe, they have children so I take that as a good sign. That was my take on it anyway but I guess we'll just have to wait and see :)

I really enjoyed Tessa's character as well, she was a great heroine. Sadly I did not feel that way about Clary, who came off as way to mary sueish to me. The typical thinks she's plain and ordinary but is really beautiful to everyone around her and has amazing skills from out of no where with no warning or training at all. Yeah. She annoyed me lol but hopefully you'll like her. Jace should make the read for you even if you don't but I'll cross my fingers you like her as well lol.

Yeah, I'm totally with you on that one. I think some of the jealous heros in adult fiction are way too much, it's a fine line between endearingly jealous and crazed stalker haha but I love a good jealous scene I can't lie. And I agree about why they aren't found in adult fiction much, I think authors are leary and maybe a little scared to add it. Which I think can be seen with Hush, Hush. Patch gets a lot of flack. Even people who don't like Twilight bag on Edward for the whole sneaking into her room at night and trying to control her friends and things like that. I'm not a big Twilight fan but I don't see the big deal really, it's fiction. But anyway! I'm still thinking, I haven't had a chance to go through my books yet but I'm sure there is some I'm missing that I'll come back and tell you about :)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2011 12:29:38 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 1, 2011 2:06:57 AM PDT
Sandra says:
BMW- I completely agree with you about everything you've said about Will. In my experience with books, movies ect. when a man who has high walls finally and completely lets in the woman he loves, there is just no going back, he won't let her go from that point on. I find that really hot and that's why I usually like those types of heroes. I like that it is not just some easy relationship, it actually takes a lot for the hero to let down his walls to the heroine, he has to be utterly in love with her- its a good challenge and strengthens my belief in their love and the development of their relationship. The hero not letting anyone in, but then actually letting the heroine in and only her, makes her more special than anyone else, like he couldn't live without her anymore from that point on. I love that. (spoiler to others) I have no doubt they will end up together! Clare better mature Will the way I want him to mature, though.

Hopefully I will like Clary- but your description of her sounds like that probably won't be happening, lol I actually was starting to read Hush, Hush but after having read Clockwork Angel- the book seemed kind of superficial and kind of smutty (obviously because Clockwork Angel was historical and the relationship between the hero and the heroine wasn't some casual thing- women and men treated each other differently in that time period and I loved the classiness formality of that- SPOILERS- I know they did kiss but it was looked at as a big event, not some casual hook up, I really hated when Will made Tessa that offer near the end- it just shows you show much of an insult that sort of arrangement was back then.) Do you think I will like Hush, Hush if I continue reading it? It sounds like Patch is pretty jealous so I would think I might like it.

I agree with you about the whole jealousy bit about being just fiction. I have to admit though it was pretty odd for Edward to be watching Bella sleep at night without her knowing- flattering in a way I guess fictionally, but If that happened to me in real life I'd be totally creeped out.... ( I admit I did like the first book: Twilight but from then on the whole series was a train wreck and Twilight was no where near as good as Clockwork Angel in my opinion- which is crazy for me to say because I am a hard core romance lover and Twilight was heavier on the romance and hero and heroine relationship- it just shows how well written Clockwork Angel was, plus it had insanely good romantic tension.)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2011 5:28:22 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 1, 2011 9:24:21 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2011 10:04:42 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 6, 2011 12:25:10 PM PDT
Sandra says:
BMW- I read Hush, Hush and while I think Patch is pretty obsessed with Nora, obviously at first for all the wrong reasons, and I couldn't really figure out why or how he fell for her. There were no jealous scenes whatsoever, coming from the hero, that is. I'm guessing in the second book the hero becomes jealous and possessive?

Posted on Aug 6, 2011 1:03:18 PM PDT
BMW says:
Eh, if you didn't like Hush, Hush then I wouldn't bother with the sequel. Crescendo is better in my opinion but I loved Hush, Hush in it's on right. There is a lot more jealousy in it, on both ends but you've said before you don't like when the heroine is the jealous one so you might have a hard time getting through all of Nora's jealousy just for the Patch jealousy scenes. Even if they are delicious in my mind lol. I'm really sorry you didn't like it, I was kinda questioning my recc when you said it was a little smutty for your taste but I was still hoping you'd like it :(

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2011 12:06:08 AM PDT
Sandra says:
BMW- no problem, how would you know I wouldn't like it- I did like the ending of the book very much... but I felt like most of the book didn't spend enough time developing the romance between Patch and Nora- I never really understood why Patch loved her that much- I could think he wanted her but not love her enough to give all that up- I don't know, it didn't seem believable, plus Nora was such a stupid heroine the entire book- seriously who would go out with someone that could hurt you and she didn't even tell her mom, really weird. Are the jealous scenes from Patch in Crescendo really good?

Posted on Aug 16, 2011 1:09:16 AM PDT
Sandra says:
bumping

Posted on Aug 16, 2011 8:19:23 PM PDT
HHK says:
Cassandra Clare: The Mortal Instrument Series (The Mortal Instruments)

Posted on Aug 18, 2011 4:59:59 PM PDT
Becca Belle says:
Breathe Don't think this was mentioned. The hero is a rock star with a jealous streak.

Posted on Aug 19, 2011 6:56:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 19, 2011 7:02:06 PM PDT
Hi. I just saw this discussion board and wanted to say thanks for all the great ideas. I, also, like my hero a little over protective and jealous. I really liked the Mortal Instruments Books, although, I really hated the twist at the end of book one. I wish they could have found a better, less creepy, way to keep them apart. I also loved Clock Work Angle and can't wait to read the next book. I think it's coming out in December. Also, just and FYI, did you know they are making a movie out of the Mortal Instruments Series. Might be interesting.

My only suggestion is the Vampire Academy Books. I loved the whole Dmitry and Rose love story. He dose get really possessive in the 3rd or 4th book, you'll know what I mean if you read them. =) The only thing I didn't like about them is they use the F word too many times. Maybe that dosn't bug anyone else but I hate hearing it or seeing it.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2011 11:39:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 19, 2011 11:54:36 PM PDT
Sandra says:
MirandaD- I haven't finished the first book in the Mortal Instruments series, but I know what you are talking about because I was involuntarily spoiled. I'm still going to read it though because I love love loved Clockwork Angel- I also can't wait for the next book! Thanks for recommending the Vampire Academy books, but I have to wait 3 or 4 books until he get possessive?- that might be a little too much waiting- what do you think? Can you also tell me in which books Jace gets possessive with Clary? Thanks!

Posted on Oct 9, 2011 9:08:43 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 9, 2011 9:11:43 AM PDT
Sandra says:
can anyone give me spoilers on the Vampire Academy books and when the hero gets possessive with the heroine? Also, if anyone could tell me if the hero from the Mortal Instruments series gets possessive at all within any of the books?

Posted on Oct 19, 2011 7:27:44 PM PDT
Jennifer says:
If you liked Beautiful Disaster then Thoughtless by S.C. Stephens is a must.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2011 11:41:46 AM PDT
Go Team Patch!!!! <3<3<3

Posted on Oct 23, 2011 1:30:39 AM PDT
TCT says:
Maybe try some of these

Nightshade: Book 1
Shade (Shade, Book 1)
Beg for Mercy (A Cambion Series)
Stray (Shifters Book 1)
Beautiful Disaster

Try these. There are jealous male leads in these books.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2011 2:17:01 PM PDT
V SaewodTice says:
I disagree.

Thoughtless was not like BD- in my opinion. And the premise was way different. Travis would NEVER have allowed a situation like the one with Kiera and Denny to go down. Sharing was not in Travis's vocabulary and that is what Kellan did in Thoughtless - to an extent.

Thoughtless was just okay if you could get past Keira's constant inner whining about Kellan's beauty and her worthlessness...blah blah blah.

After reading BD...Thoughtless did not hold up for me.

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 1:37:18 PM PDT
Sandra says:
Hey guys, just bumping this thread to see if there are any new YA books with possessive, crazy in love heroes that have come out lately. I was thinking of picking up Anew: The Archers of Avalon, Book One. Can anyone tell me if the hero in this one is crazy in love? Thanks!

Posted on Jul 14, 2012 6:33:59 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 16, 2012 12:11:10 PM PDT]

Posted on Jul 15, 2012 8:01:29 AM PDT
Star Reader says:
My Top 5 Picks of the Most Dangerously Jealous, Possessive Alphas in a Romance Novel:

Always Been Mine (The Moreno Brothers)

Dangerous Secrets (Avon Red)

A Rose to the Fallen

Killer Secrets

Dark Desire (Dark Series)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2012 8:06:38 AM PDT
Star Reader says:
Hi Sandra,
I have read Anew: The Archers of Avalon, Book One and I can tell you if your looking for a hero that is crazy in love your not going to be able top put this books down! The physical and sexual tension between Tristan and Scarlet was amazing and left me wanting more. The book ends with a big cliffhanger that begs for more of their story.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2012 10:46:24 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 17, 2012 12:21:35 PM PDT
Adnana says:
"Fire" by Kristin Cashore is a good read. It is not, however, a book of heroic lovers - imho.

*SPOILERS* about the romantic relationships follow

The heroine is irresistibly beautiful. She loses her virginity to her best friend when she is very young (about 14-15?), but it seems that she doesn't really love him like a true lover, so Archer (the friend with benefits) is unhappy, because he claims he's desperately in love with her. He's the one who's very jealous and possessive of Fire, but this doesn't stop him from banging practically everything that moves -- impregnating multiple women in a very short span of time.
The king, another man who is crazy for the heroine, is weak-willed for 90% of the book. He's desperate for her, physically, but there is no depth to his feelings because he doesn't know her, he just wants her beauty (her body).
Finally, the hero is awesome. He's strong and confident and respected by all men. He's initially wary of the heroine, and their relationship advances very slowly. They come to respect and yes, love each other, but he is never what I'd call jealous or possessive. They're just... equal lovers, I suppose. Their love is nice to read about, but not terribly exciting.

Posted on Jul 15, 2012 10:53:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 15, 2012 10:53:55 AM PDT
Adnana says:
For an obsessed, possessive villain, read Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi. The protagonists' love story is very sweet and intense, and steeped in years-old yearning. The hero is definitely crazy in love with the heroine, he even risks his life many times for her, but I don't remember any concrete situations where he was given any reason to show jealousy.

Also, I hesitate to mention this book, but it does have a hero who very much loves and is jealous of the heroine. Enclave by Ann Aguirre.
Unfortunately, the heroine is completely clueless (because of the way she was raised, she doesn't know what romantic love is) and the book is written from her POV. So even though the reader can clearly see the hero's feelings of love and later intense disappointment and jealousy when she seems to prefer another guy, there is actually very little romantic development. But I hold great hopes for the sequel. :)

Posted on Jul 16, 2012 7:19:59 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 16, 2012 12:28:22 PM PDT]
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Young Adult forum
Participants:  41
Total posts:  108
Initial post:  Jul 4, 2011
Latest post:  Aug 10, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions