Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS
Customer Discussions > Young Adult forum

Good YA romance for girls who love classics and fantasy?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 71 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 22, 2012 4:50:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 5:14:06 PM PST
Kate says:
My sister and I are addicted to YA romance set in older time periods.
Everything from mythology, to fairytales, to the medieval times, to the Victorian era.
We love royalty, mystery, spells, danger, true love, and anything of the like.

A few of our absolute favorite books are:

The Song of the Lioness by Tamora Pierce
Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George
Dragonsong by Anne McCaffrey
The Amaranth Enchantment by Julie Berry
Crown Duel by Sherwood Smith
Entwined by Heather Dixon
Beauty: A Retelling of Beauty and the Beast by Robin McKinley
The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale
Jane by April Lindner
The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter
To Catch A Pirate by Jade Parker
Nobody's Princess by Esther Friesner

So, based on the books we love, what do you suggest we read?

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 7:20:36 PM PST
S. Reading says:
I have read a lot of the books you have mentioned, so I think we have similar tastes. Here are some of my all time favorites that I didn't see listed
Bewitching Season (Leland Sisters)- Great book. there are two others in the series that I didn't really care fore. Each book is a stand alone so you don't have to read them all.
The Trouble with Kings- Since you like Crown Duel I would also read this by Sherwood Smith
Dark Mirror- Wonderful YA series by Romance author MJ Putney
Prince of Wolves: Book 1, Grey Wolves Series (Volume 1)- This is an indie author who has a HUGE following. Some of her books have a few grammer/ spelling mistakes but if you want romance with a bunch of fun sassy girls who you wish could be your best friends then I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS SERIES! The first books is free if you have a kindle.
The Demon King (A Seven Realms Novel)- Another series that I think you might enjoy. More action but lots of romance as the characters build.
Princess Ben- Short and sweet romance!
Exile- Internesting YA romance. I have ennjoyed the book and it's sequel but I find the main character a bit off for some reason. Still really like it.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 7:25:05 PM PST
S. Reading says:
A few more!
The Girl of Fire and Thorns- Wonderful series...fantasy but the girl is a queen
The Queen's Lady (The Other Countess)- Regency

Most of the books I have linked to have mystery, royalty, some form of magic and or fantasy, with lots of love and romance.
There was a previous topic about YA books where the hero or heroine was royalty and I put a large list up there. YOu might want to find that topic for more suggestions.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 7:26:26 PM PST
S. Reading says:
Here is the link...some of these might work for you.

http://www.amazon.com/forum/young%20adult/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=FxYYBPV8QIG2V4&cdThread=Tx510W6V9CGZBF

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 9:09:48 PM PST
Wayward says:
Mairelon the Magician (both books in the series)
Sorcery and Cecilia by Wrede (don't let the epistolary format turn you off, the book and it's sequel are delightful!)
The False Princess
Rose Daughter by Mckinley
Spindle's End by Mckinley

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 9:58:24 PM PST
If you like Robin McKinley, I suggest her duology, THE BLUE SWORD and THE HERO AND THE CROWN.

Also you might enjoy GRACELING by Kristin Cashore, and I second the recommendation for GIRL OF FIRE AND THORNS (and the second book in that series, CROWN OF EMBERS, is even better).

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 1:06:53 PM PST
Sarah Marie says:
Ooh, I love your taste in books. I'm going to shamelessly add all of those books to my reading list. Ha.

I second Girl of Fire and Thorns. There is some romance in the first book, but I'm afraid the TRUE romance doesn't come in until the second book Crown of Embers. I assure you it's worth the wait.

Also, I think you might like The False Princess. I haven't read it yet so I'm not sure about the romance part quite yet, but it's about a girl who is raised as the Princess and when she is sixteen or seventeen she finds out that she is not the real Princess, but just a decoy so the real Princess can be safe in hiding. When the real Princess comes back, the girl is sent to her Aunt's (I think it's her Aunt's, I'm doing this from memory. Ha) and soon discovers that she has a unique ability to harness magic, forcing her to back to the city. I think this should be a really fun read.

Also, my last recommendation to you is Grave Mercy. It's one of my favorite reads of 2012 and it meets pretty much all of your criteria. The story follows Ismae, a girl who finds out that she is a daughter of Mortain (The Saint of Death) and she is sent to a convent to train as an assassin. She gets an assignment to help protect the future queen and has to figure out who is trying to kill her. There is mystery, love, danger, royalty, and a little bit of fantasy in Grave Mercy and it's set in a historic time period.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 11:32:58 AM PST
S. Reading says:
I just wanted to add in Elfin by Quin Loftis. It came out on Xmas and it honestly rocked my world for fantasy/ YA/ romance. I was very happy with it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 7:14:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 7:17:03 PM PST
Agnes says:
Ahh. You've already gone through some really good ones!

Others that I highly recommend:
The Seer and the Sword by Victoria Hanley (has a companion novel called The Healer's Keep and a third book, which will remain unlisted because it stunk and had nothing to do with other characters in the other books)
The Island and the Ring by Laura C. Stevenson
The Forgotten Beasts of Eld by Patricia A. McKillip
The Storyteller's Daughter by Cameron Dokey

I second The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley. The Hero and the Crown technically comes first timeline-wise, but I still like The Blue Sword better and they can be read in any order. The Hero and the Crown just kind of sets up some back story that appears in the second book, but it doesn't deal with the same characters.

The Perilous Gard by Elizabeth Marie Pope

Even though I'm way too old for it, and was even a little old when I first read it, Ella Enchanted is still one of my favorites.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 8:27:51 PM PST
watanake says:
Hex Hall is really good.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 8:56:39 PM PST
CLB77 says:
Have you read Maria Snyder? The Study Series Bundle

You might also like Eve Mont's A Breath of Eyre. It's YA litererary time travel based on Jane Eyre.

How about Leigh Bardugo's Shadow and Bone (The Grisha Trilogy)? Fantasy based on imperial Russia.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 9:09:15 PM PST
Lots of good recs here. I' 'll add The Assassin's Curse, Summers at Castle Auburn, Keturah and Lord Death, Heart's Blood, In The Forests Of Serre.

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 9:54:52 AM PST
S. Reading says:
Royal Rebel- I just finished this book and thought I would also post it here! Super cute and I think you would really like it.

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 7:02:00 AM PST
Sarah Marie says:
I've now read Shadow and Bone and LOVED IT, so I definitely second it! It loosely fits your criteria having major themes of magic and danger. It also has royalty and love and a little smidgen of mystery, but those themes are not as prominent. Well, in the case of true love, it is definitely there, but I think the second book will focus more on the romance aspect. Happy Reading!

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 12:09:36 PM PST
S. Reading says:
I just finished Entwined which was pretty good. They have used paperback copies right now for around $4.50 on amazon. It is a take on the 12 dancing princesses and I actually liked it much better then the Jessica Day George Books Princess of the Midnight Ball, Princess of Glass (Princess of the Midnight Ball) and Princess of the Silver Woods (Twelve Dancing Princesses).

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 12:35:06 PM PST
Someone else mentioned Juliet Marillier's Heart's Blood. I highly recommend all of her books, but especially enjoyed Wildwood Dancing (YA retelling of 12 dancing princess) and Daughter of the Forest/Son of Shadow (not YA, but amazing. Daughter of the Forest is a retelling of the six swans fairy tale and Son of Shadow is the sequel that is, quite possibly, even better). Her most recent release, Shadowfell, is also very good.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 8:08:45 PM PST
Wayward says:
I adore marillier. But I want to put out the warning that some of her adult novels (like the Sevenwaters series) include some mistreatment of women. Graphic enough to bother those sensitive to it. It's tasteful and essential parts of the storyline, but some people can't handle certain kinds of violence (And been very unhappy when I forgot to mention that it was there, even though they weren't YA readers.) The later Sevenwaters books are more suited to YA readers.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2013 5:24:12 PM PST
I meant to add that - so thanks!

Posted on Jan 27, 2013 7:20:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 27, 2013 7:22:37 PM PST
S. Reading says:
I read the first 2 books in the Sevenwaters series and could just never get into them. I guess I like my YA fantasy a bit more whimiscal with a happy ending. To me that series was interesting but sort of dark....actually "dark" is not really a good word to describe...

Thank you Wayward for recommending The False Princess. I read it today and was pleasantly surprized by it. It was a quick and easy read but I loved the storyline and the main character.

Also just started the Song of the Lioness series that the OP mentioned above. There are many books by that author. Once I'm done with the Lioness series can anyone recommend the next series of books by TP? It seems she has several...is there an order to follow?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2013 7:26:18 PM PST
There is a rough order. I think that the Daine series is technically next - first book is Wild Magic (The Immortals, Book 1).

Posted on Jan 27, 2013 7:31:52 PM PST
S. Reading says:
Thanks Mayhem! Does it really matter if I go out of order? Do any characters go between series?
Sorry to thread jack OP!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2013 8:05:42 PM PST
There are brief references to Alanna in particular, but you can pretty much read in any order.

Tamora Pierce is wonderful!

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 4:12:37 AM PST
Gela says:
Try the Lumatere Trilogy by Melina Marchetta! Love this series and it meets your criteria. :)

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 7:31:30 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 28, 2013 11:13:21 AM PST
S. Reading says:
Maelyn (The Nine Princesses Novellas - Book 1)- I have heard good things about this book though it is definitely younger YA I have been told. It is free if you have a kindle. The other books in the series are under $3. Good reviews so I thought I would post in case anyone wants to give it a whirl. About 9 adopted Princesses.

The Kingdom of the Seven Shields: Isle of the Four Kingdoms (Volume 1) If you have a kindle I would also look into this series. They are light and fluffy so easy reading- but I just LOVED the main character Princess Tootsweet (known as Tooter). It is a more light version of something similar to The Seven Realms series meets Sherwood Smith.

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 4:40:11 PM PST
Hello! I am a graduate student studying book publishing at NYU, and for my graduate thesis I am proposing a contemporary YA Gothic Literature imprint. Please take my survey (which is completely anonymous) to help me with my market research! Thank you so much!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1X0FlPH2WbbZYSFkjmgCiSh43r6IPCsCu6vVYrE3105Y/viewform
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Young Adult forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Young Adult forum
Participants:  25
Total posts:  71
Initial post:  Dec 22, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 16, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions