Customer Discussions > Young Adult forum

YA romance for fans of Jane Austen and Charlotte Bronte?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 23, 2012 8:22:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 23, 2012 8:23:19 PM PST
Kate says:
Jane Eyre is probably my favorite non-YA book ever, followed by Sense And Sensibility. (I didn't like Pride And Prejudice.) I have a hard time reading most other adult fiction though, and old-fashioned language doesn't make adult fiction any easier to read.

Is there any good YA romance out there for fans Jane Eyre and S&S? I'm in love with that whole genre/time-period<3

I've read:
The Luxe by Anna Godbersen
Jane by April Lindner
The Season by Sarah MacLean

So I'm looking for books along the same lines as those.
SUGGESTIONS MUST BE YA though. Please.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 2:31:38 PM PST
I think Lindner is coming out with another book, CATHERINE, this time a retelling of WUTHERING HEIGHTS.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 3:52:31 PM PST
Have you tried any of Eva Ibbotson's YA historicals? E.g. A Countess Below Stairs.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 7:05:47 PM PST
Agnes says:
I think L.M. Montgomery's The Blue Castle is an excellent book to read if you like other things by Austen and Bronte. The language is much simpler, so that might be a plus. But, unlike, Jane Eyre, it's missing the darker elements, and, unlike Sense and Sensibility, it doesn't have Jane Austen's subtle, light humor. It's still a great book, and I highly recommend the read.

As far as books specifically targeted at young adults, this is one of the only things I can think of.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 9:12:32 PM PST
CLB77 says:
I think I just rec'd this on another thread of yours? But if you loved Jane Eyre, you really should look at Eve Mont's A Breath of Eyre

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 6:02:27 PM PST
Wayward says:
Try Sorcery and Cecelia or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot. It's an alternate history set in that same time period with similar feel to it. (But also fantasy elements)
Tale of Two Cities is another readable classic, with some romance although not bronteesque.
If you enjoy fairy tale writing, check out some of Robin McKinley's books. Beauty and Rose Daughter specifically fill that 'victorian romance' groove.

Posted on Aug 2, 2013 1:29:15 AM PDT
Christine H. says:
Pride's Prejudice

Edenbrooke

Posted on Aug 3, 2013 5:18:07 PM PDT
Bea Daniels says:
I loved Jane Austen's books when I was in high school. Then, when I was in my 20's I discovered Victoria Holt. She's written a lot of historical romance and you can find many of her books in the library. They're not YA but you will have no problem reading them. She's known as the 'queen of romantic suspense'. You also might try Elizabeth Gaskell's Wives and Daughters it's not a YA either but she wrote close to Jane Austen's time period.

Posted on Aug 13, 2013 7:21:32 PM PDT
Irene says:
Couple of recommendations.
Bright Young Things series by Anne Godbersen. Same author of the Luxe series but its set during the 1920s.

The Red Necklace and Silver Blade by Sally Gardner. It's a 2 book story and is loosely based on the Scarlet Pimpernel. One of my favorites.

Etiquette and Espionage by Gail Carriger. There are 4 books to this series. 1 has been released and the 2nd is due this November. So far there is no obvious romance going on but I know there will be. I recommended this one because its set during Victorian times and the language is just so much fun to read.

Ruby Red by Kirsten Gier. Contemporary fiction where the girl goes back and forth in time.

Dash and Lily's Book of Dares- contemporary fiction but totally cute romance. One of my favorite books that brings New York to life during Winter holidays.

Good luck in your search.

Posted on Jan 7, 2014 2:31:27 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2014 7:11:19 AM PST
Author of 97 says:
You guys must check out Mary Robinette Kowal's series "Glamourist". The first is Shades of Milk and Honey, then Glamour in Glass, and she has a new one out this month! These books are amazing. She created a 'Jane Austen' dictionary when she wrote them, so that she was only using words Jane Austen would have used, but the books are a little fantasy/sci fi...they take place in Regency England! Really fantastic. Hope you enjoy them.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Young Adult forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
What are you currently reading? (no self promos) 5501 1 day ago
books where the guy is a famous person and falls in love with an ordinary girl 22 8 days ago
Deals & Steals - low priced YA books (no self promos) 512 12 days ago
Hero that isn't sauve and perfect, but funny and clever? 0 26 days ago
Looking for a Book 0 27 days ago
Heros like Cole from Brodi Ashton series, Everneath 0 Jun 18, 2014
Bad boy hero and good girl heroine become friends, hero falls for her and wants more 9 Jun 17, 2014
Truth or dare and other YA books that involve dark secrets apart of the plot 0 Jun 14, 2014
Boy Hates Girl. Girl Hates Boy...At least thats what she thinks. 20 Jun 14, 2014
Book about verbally abusive/controlling/angry boyfriend 2 Jun 12, 2014
Looking for books that are clean...need ideas 4 Jun 4, 2014
Obscure gems in YA fiction 31 May 6, 2014

This discussion

Discussion in:  Young Adult forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Dec 23, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 7, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions