Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Young Adult forum

What are you currently reading? (no self promos)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2011 12:10:53 AM PDT
Kribu says:
That's a nice reading list there!

I don't think it's YA either, but I started the first Sookie Stackhouse / Southern Vampire Mysteries book last night - so many of my friends love these books that I figured I'd give them a try. So far it seems okay, but at 26% in I can't say I've been completely enraptured by it either - then again, first books in series often need the whole book for that to happen.

Posted on Nov 5, 2011 10:49:49 AM PDT
I knew a few women at work that were addicted to the Sookie books. Also True Blood, although they said they sort of thought of the show and the books as separate entities. (And the show is apparently, erm, very mature.)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2011 12:13:27 PM PDT
Kribu says:
I've gathered that about the show... not really interested in that at all. I guess I'll see with the books how bad they get! Or how far I'll get before getting bored with them.

Posted on Nov 5, 2011 7:25:40 PM PDT
K. Knight says:
I've read all the Sookie Stackhouse books and watch True Blood and they are very different things that each have their own pluses and minuses. Personally, I prefer True Blood (mature content and all). The Sookie books are good if you can get into them, but I have to say the earlier books (like 1-5) are much better than the later ones...and they're definetly not YA books.

Posted on Nov 6, 2011 5:22:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2011 5:26:39 PM PST
Gina Ganzle says:
In the last month I read The Hunger Games Trilogy and The Son of Neptune. I'll never pass up a Percy Jackson book and I can't say enough about the Hunger Games! If you're looking for a more emotional story definitely read If I Stay and Where She Went.

I'm just starting the second book in the Matched series-I can't wait!

Posted on Nov 6, 2011 5:35:19 PM PST
I just finished up a YA written in the 1960's called Brothers of the Sea (New Windmills) - its about a teenage boy who lives in the Seychelles befriending a dolphin and what happens...not a bad read, my only complaint is that there were no chapters so it made it really hard to find a good place to break - so i ended up reading it when i have time to devote to reading a largish section

Posted on Nov 6, 2011 6:10:45 PM PST
@Gina-
Yes, The Hunger Games are great! Ditto If I Stay and Where She Went.

@Deanna-
You know, it's funny. Growing up I don't think I ever thought about chapters, but nowadays I really appreciate shorter (like, 5-10 page) chapters. They help me feel like I'm progressing -- like mile markers -- and they also provide good stopping points for chores or other responsibilities.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2011 6:13:28 PM PST
yeah - this one, one section was like 50 odd pages...the book was only like 250, but i dragged it out because i don't normally have time to read huge chunks like that

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2011 6:17:36 PM PST
You know what's funny, though? I like the shorter chapters, but sometimes they trick me into reading more! I think, "Oh, the next chapter is only 6 pages? I have time for that." Then I get to the end and think, "Sure, I can do another 7 pages." And so on and so forth, until like 50-100 pages have gone by!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2011 1:19:32 AM PST
good point - i've done that before...lol!

Posted on Nov 7, 2011 4:30:26 PM PST
K. Knight says:
I read XVI yesterday (it was a fast read) but it wasn't very good. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2011 8:11:56 PM PST
Oh really? That's a shame. I have it in my TBR pile because a lot of book bloggers liked it.

Posted on Nov 7, 2011 9:11:17 PM PST
K. Knight says:
It was too poorly executed for me. I couldn't figure out (even after finishing the book) why the government was forcing these girls to get tattoos in the first place or what they hoped to achieve with the promotion of over-sexed girls. And it was highly predictable. But that's just my opinion; the reviews showed a lot of people like it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2011 2:10:49 PM PST
kari says:
I'm really bad about defining why I like something which is part of the reason that I don't write reviews, but I thought XVI was pretty good. It had a couple of the normal info dump/world building issues that a lot of 1st books have but otherwise I enjoyed it.

Posted on Nov 8, 2011 6:24:03 PM PST
K. Knight says:
@kari, I know what you mean. It's much easier to find flaws in things than to be able to put into words why you love it. And I didn't mean to imply that XVI was the worst book ever written or anything (it's not). It just didn't do it for me. I actually really liked some of the characters in it...and I like that everyone doesn't agree on what makes a great story. If everyone liked the same thing, we'd be a very boring society.

Posted on Nov 8, 2011 7:46:46 PM PST
Amy says:
Not a YA book, but it's called 'The Descent' by: Jeff Long. It's about scientists that find the tunnels to 'Hell' inside of our earth. It has demons, evil and mystery...
Sooooooo good! :-)

Posted on Nov 9, 2011 4:57:15 AM PST
i'm finishing up Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, Book 3) on audiobook - it was a harder listen than the previous 2, but I still liked it, now starting a JD Robb In Death book

Posted on Nov 9, 2011 9:47:13 AM PST
T. Seel says:
I'm reading Dark Lover by JR Ward Its the first book in a series of the Black Dagger Brotherhood) so far its pretty good. Has anyone else read this series?

Posted on Nov 9, 2011 10:43:24 AM PST
Kribu says:
Got done with the first Sookie Stackhouse book ... wasn't overly impressed. Started Dead Witch Walking, the first book in the Hollows series, and so far really struggling to get into that, too, although I'll try to read a bit more before deciding whether to give up or not.

Looks like the non-YA urban fantasy out there isn't really working for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2011 11:06:07 AM PST
read it and loved it - but the first book wasn't my favorite - i think 2, 3 and 7 are my favorites (Rhage, Zsadist and Rhevenge)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2011 11:47:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2011 11:48:09 AM PST
kari says:
@K. Knight, that's cool, different strokes for different folks and all that. ;-) It probably helped some that I met the author at a group book signing (with Julie Kagawa, Maria Snyder, Mara Purnhagen, and some other folks). Having a signed copy in hand always gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. :-)

edited to correct typo

Posted on Nov 9, 2011 7:04:44 PM PST
K. Knight says:
@Kribu...the Sookie books took me awhile to get into, too. The fourth one is the best, in my opinion so I'd encourage you to read through that one before you decide if you want to continue with the series. Sookie's 'voice' is sometimes annoying to me. I didn't much like Dead Witch Walking so I never read past that first book.

@Kari...I love Maria Snyder's work! She's an amazing author.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2011 11:23:08 PM PST
Kribu says:
Yes, I think I might try at least one more Sookie book. I had trouble connecting with any of the characters in it, so that didn't help.

Dead Witch Walking seems to improve a little bit after the choppy-feeling infodump that was the first tenth of the book, so we'll see, but that first bit was a real struggle. I'm determined to get through it, though, but after that, I think I'll want something more YA again.

Posted on Nov 10, 2011 12:05:20 PM PST
Belle says:
finishing Torn (Demon Kissed #3). the series is getting darker - LOVE it! next is Inheritance (The Inheritance Cycle). i think i forgot everything from the previous books. also rereading The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 1). that should have never been made into a movie. they screwed it all up.

Posted on Nov 10, 2011 12:11:42 PM PST
I just got an ARC for Shatter Me! This book is getting a ton of buzz, so I'm really excited to read it. The author also used to comment on my blog, hehe, but I think she's a bit busy for that now. ;)
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Young Adult forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Young Adult forum
Participants:  285
Total posts:  5938
Initial post:  Oct 16, 2011
Latest post:  Mar 24, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 25 customers

Search Customer Discussions